The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 26 July 2020, 10:40 AM   #1
newenglandpatriot
"TRF" Member

How to avoid scams 100% and yes it works

Thought of this years ago, and it works every time. One way that works for me, and no one has even mentioned. Ask the seller where he is from. Find a jeweler in that area that knows the brand, and call them up. Ask the Jeweler if you can send the funds to him, and when the seller comes in, he gets paid, after verifying its authentic. Pay the Jeweler a fee and to ship it out. If the seller refuses to do that, walk away. RED FLAG! It works great, and everyone wins.
newenglandpatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 10:51 AM   #2
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Interesting approach. What sort of feel do dealers usually charge?

A problem a lot of people have mentioned with vintage Rolex is. - who wants to be the jewelere to say the watch is authentic, but when it arrives to you it's a Franken watch - what liability does the dealer have.
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 11:10 AM   #3
newenglandpatriot
"TRF" Member

I had paid dealers $150. $50 to ship it overnight, and $100 to authenticate it (takes 2 minutes) and box it up. Obviously a dealer is not going to strip it completely down, but to open the case and make sure the movement is genuine, and verify overall condition. {paying a small fee is better than losing thousands of dollars that will never be seen again.
Old 26 July 2020, 11:18 AM   #4
RidingDonkeys
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandpatriot View Post
Thought of this years ago, and it works every time. One way that works for me, and no one has even mentioned. Ask the seller where he is from. Find a jeweler in that area that knows the brand, and call them up. Ask the Jeweler if you can send the funds to him, and when the seller comes in, he gets paid, after verifying its authentic. Pay the Jeweler a fee and to ship it out. If the seller refuses to do that, walk away. RED FLAG! It works great, and everyone wins.
Lots of reputable dealers and service centers will work as third party authenticators and escrow. They don't even have to be close to the seller. Use your favorite service center.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 11:37 AM   #5
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I had paid dealers $150. $50 to ship it overnight, and $100 to authenticate it (takes 2 minutes) and box it up. Obviously a dealer is not going to strip it completely down, but to open the case and make sure the movement is genuine, and verify overall condition. {paying a small fee is better than losing thousands of dollars that will never be seen again.
For sure. As someone who sells, I'd be happy to comply with a request like this. My only concern would be the jeweler posting the item before I had the funds, as in making sure it's not an elaborate scam by the buyer.
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 12:36 PM   #6
newenglandpatriot
"TRF" Member

In some cases I have sent cash, with a currency pen sealed. I specify that the fedex only be opened in the presence of the seller, or if sent a money order (Walmart because they have the cash) unlike post offices that do not have that amount of cash with a copy of the receipt for the money order. If using a bank check, they can call a local nationwide bank branch, i.e. Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Chase etc. give them the number of the check and verify the funds are there. I try to make it a win win for everyone out there. I dont know why no one has ever mentioned this. Unfortunately have been cursed with a very analytical and deductive reasoning brain. Its not a blessing!
Old 27 July 2020, 07:59 PM   #7
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I have a better way - buy from a trusted seller or an AD. I’ve never been caught out yet.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2020, 08:09 PM   #8
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
In some cases I have sent cash, with a currency pen sealed. I specify that the fedex only be opened in the presence of the seller, or if sent a money order (Walmart because they have the cash) unlike post offices that do not have that amount of cash with a copy of the receipt for the money order. If using a bank check, they can call a local nationwide bank branch, i.e. Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Chase etc. give them the number of the check and verify the funds are there. I try to make it a win win for everyone out there. I dont know why no one has ever mentioned this. Unfortunately have been cursed with a very analytical and deductive reasoning brain. Its not a blessing!
Your very analytical and deductive reasoning brain was obvious from your first post.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote