The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 4 August 2018, 05:11 AM   #1
switchface
"TRF" Member

Excuse my ignorance, but is the mark 1 vs mark 2 a specific deviation or just an inside joke/play on words based on build date?
switchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2018, 05:37 AM   #2
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchface View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but is the mark 1 vs mark 2 a specific deviation or just an inside joke/play on words based on build date?
It's an actual evolution of the dial. A small detail as has always been the case with many Rolex watches. In this case the new one now called the Mk2 has the new Rolex designation for their new 32xx series movements, which is differentiated by the "Swiss Made" at the bottom now having a tiny Rolex crown in the middle of the words.
The Mk1 does not even though it has the 32xx series movement. Beyond this tiny detail the watches are 100% identical.

This tiny detail may or may not evolve to mean something in 20-40 years.

The Mk2 dials are starting to find their way into the system beginning this year apparently, which as a consequence would mean that for the first year maybe bleeding off a little into the second year, the SD43 was produced with a Mk1 dial.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2018, 09:40 AM   #3
switchface
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the detailed explanation, I thought maybe the red signifying marking was to be removed! I could see how this could be a small, but discernible, factor to collectors because this is the 50th anniversary Sea Dweller. I suppose one could argue only the mark 1 is the true 50th, as the mark 2's would technically be '51st anniversary' models.

Is the laser etching in the first post (sorry, I don't have enough posts to embed a photo/link) the crown insert for the mark 2 you are referring to or do you mean there is an atual crown printed on the dial itself, further spreading the words "Swiss" and "Made"?

...I just realized that was my first post on this forum. Fantastic close up photos Travelller!!
switchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 06:45 AM   #4
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
It's an actual evolution of the dial. A small detail as has always been the case with many Rolex watches. In this case the new one now called the Mk2 has the new Rolex designation for their new 32xx series movements, which is differentiated by the "Swiss Made" at the bottom now having a tiny Rolex crown in the middle of the words.
The Mk1 does not even though it has the 32xx series movement. Beyond this tiny detail the watches are 100% identical.

This tiny detail may or may not evolve to mean something in 20-40 years.

The Mk2 dials are starting to find their way into the system beginning this year apparently, which as a consequence would mean that for the first year maybe bleeding off a little into the second year, the SD43 was produced with a Mk1 dial.
Any pic of the Mk2 dial?
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 10:09 AM   #5
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strafer_kid View Post
Any pic of the Mk2 dial?
"borrowed" From IG: Note the crown between "Swiss" & "Made"

And now my MK I again...

Panerai 111 217 233