The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 6 December 2011, 01:35 AM   #91
dpkong
"TRF" Member

Watch: it!
an awesome thread indeed. admire the determination trying to work with these little parts.

my respect to watchmakers out there like Rikki and Krone who are so willing to share knowledge. this sure makes the asking prices for a watch service understandable.
dpkong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2011, 02:02 AM   #92
Kokyuryoku
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sundial
This is got to be one of the best threads on TRF! Such a wealth of knowledge. This is definitely something that really appeals to me and I was actually intending to start this year. However, my son came around, so I think I'll wait a while. But I'll definitely be attempting this in the future. Absolutely awesome job! Well done! I'm looking forward to reading more. Thanks and good luck

Omega 3570.50 (77mil) Rolex 16610 (V) Rolex 1601 (1966) Seiko BM
Kokyuryoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2011, 02:01 PM   #93
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610,116233,OsQz
Rikki, thanks for the info! I 2nd guessed myself like a fool. I don't see really any shellac on the pallet stones? The stones look OK, just loose. Where can I get the jewels? Should I try my general source of supplies, Esslinger? Should I buy bulk mixed jewels, can this be done?

I did learn about working on the escapement that is how I spotted the missing roller jewel/D shaped one. I for a moment thought I was wrong about this movement style but it looks like I was on target. The jewel is not in the movement sadly.

I need to get some shellac, and then get used to writing shellac... shellac.. lol. I also need a little burner lamp, guessing I can use a lighter for now?

I keep reading about bluing pans.

I am very happy people have been following my journey. I think it's great for everyone. The people who are interested to learn.. as well as the people that are finding out how hard it is to work on these things.. hah. Makes those service dollars well worth it as already said.

PS Rikki, I ordered both of those books you recommended already. Just waiting for them to arrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
First things first clean the movement more than once then replace the roller jewel with proper length D shaped jewel using shellac. Don't touch or adjust anything till you've done those things first. I think you'll find all you will need is the jewel and to recement the pallet stones with shellac. Ususally if you put the pallet on a pallet warmer and heat up, the residual shellac will soften and re solidify and hold the stones in place. While the pallet is warm that's when you can manipulate them in place,it may take a few times to get them properly aligned depth wise. The way to test the pallet is put some power on the gear train pallet in place balance out now take a small oiler and very lightly touch the fork horn to move it to one side if it flips to the other side with no studders that jewel is probably ok now flip to other side if it flips but skips then the depthing on the jewel is to shallow and needs to be lengthed. Always look at the jewels while doing this as to ascertain which one is locking and which one is dropping. There's a very narrow window when the jewel flips from one tooth to another if they don't lock properly you'll have overbanking problems also the roller jewel will come out of phase with the pallet fork then watch will completely stop till you reset the balance wheel. Just a brief overview of pallets 101. Good luck Rikki
LordNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2011, 07:13 PM   #94
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Rikki, I discovered something neat about the movement holder you suggested. [4040].

I can place a movement in it and then place that into the timer! It's great during regulation! Picks up the vibrations no problem. Feels exceptionally secure.

Take a look, here you will see one of my many practice movements. It looks like it was made to work this way. Hah.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3435.JPG (145.1 KB, 769 views)
Old 6 December 2011, 11:57 PM   #95
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
You can buy the jewels in bulk and the shellac is the round stick kind about 3/8 in in diameter. You heat the end of the stick till it starts to melt then plunge a 6 inch piece of pegwood into the center of the melt the slowwly draw the stick away from the shellac and a string of shellac will follow the stick as it hardens very fast,you now have a shellac pencil to make putting the small amount where it's needed. You will break off the shellac about 1/4 in from the end of the pegwood. You just need a very small amount on top of the pallet stone where it fits into the fork. As far as the roller jewel goes read the book first then we'll chat. Rikki
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2011, 02:36 AM   #96
MoBe
"TRF" Member

Icon14

This is the best thread on this forum,a way to actually read about and see how things are done.
MoBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2011, 04:13 AM   #97
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Rikki, the book it shall be. It seems with watchmaking/repair due to the fact of how close you are to the mechanics you are shielded from NOTHING. It's nice to experience this as I work with computers and there is a lot more abstraction. They actually try and force it on you as a positive thing (OOP Paradigm). As you might guess, I went all the way down to the circuits/assembly anyway as a small boy, just my nature. Anyway: The shellac handing and manipulation sounds like a whole new area of technique. I just pictured myself covered with burning shellac like someone that failed to invade a castle would sport tar. Hahaha. Would you believe that out of all the stuff I bought [a new group pic to come soon] I don't own peg wood yet? I thought I could get away with plastic/styrene pencils.

Again, I know I keep repeating myself here, but Rikki your fantastic for not only guiding me but also in public. Who knows how many people will follow and really have some insight into this stuff they might of been unable to see before from a novice/entry level chronological (no pun intended) experience.

MoBe, I'm glad your enjoying this. I'm putting a lot of heart into it and with the masters like Rikki and Krone guiding me we are all creating a real look at exactly what it takes to do some of this stuff. I think.. presuming I am heading in the right direction. Sometimes I think I'm walking sideways.. hahaha.
Old 7 December 2011, 04:18 AM   #98
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Also, Rikki.. Would it be acceptable if I get a little treasure chest to hold my watch jewels? Sorta like you'd get from a dentist to hold a tooth for the tooth fairy..

I feel like it will really make the.. oh never mind. I'll just do it in secret. Shh.

In retrospect.. maybe I should take a break off from this stuff today, I'm getting a little loopy.. well a few degrees more then usual perhaps.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2011-12-06 at 1.19.07 PM.png (108.1 KB, 757 views)
Old 7 December 2011, 09:13 AM   #99
MoBe
"TRF" Member

A little too much amplitude perhaps?
Old 7 December 2011, 09:14 AM   #100
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

:p
Old 8 December 2011, 10:25 AM   #101
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Curious, My Submariner took off in gain today. One side of the mainspring does look more compressed during running.. I will try to take a picture. I'll also remove the mainspring and see what it looks like outside of the movement as it will be easier to check shape.

I work with computers so it may be magnetized as well. I have a demagger on the way but no small compass to test it yet. Meh, we will see.
Old 8 December 2011, 03:41 PM   #102
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Hehe.... *twiddles thumbs*... Sooooooo.....

Today I noticed my watch was gaining +60 all of a sudden.. took it right down to the point where I removed the face hands.. even the little balance wheel guard on the side. I noticed the rate was very very low..

I took the balance out, I notice springs sticking together.. it could be magnetized as I mentioned above.. I tried a medium sized compass but it was not moving. I found out a screw driver I was using had somehow become magnetized! Even still.. the spring did not move the compass, not sure if it's not large enough to.. but still as it stands my watch is apart and no longer functioning.

I guess I've hit my first major road block. I'm going to press on, I've got a demagnetizer in transit anyway from a previous order.

Hehe, worst case I'll send my sub to rikki and he can right it for me.. after he yells at me for scratching up this and that :X

I figure worst case maybe I buy a balance complete and be done with the old one.. but who knows.

I figured I'd tell you folks, as I said, the good and the bad! Haha. Sad Sub!
Old 8 December 2011, 05:15 PM   #103
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

In the spirit of full disclosure I sent this private message to Rikki:

"Rikki, I first had an unfortunate event with a balance spring tangle.. Then.. As I removed the screw from the balance cock to see if that would make it easier to untangle or at least prep for replacement of balance complete.. The screw.. sorta took flight.

I spent 2 hours on my hands and knees looking all over the place but alas.

I knew the risks, but here I am. I have no idea how to begin to figure out how to get such a screw.. I do see balance completes online for sale around 500 dollars..

So... there you have it. Haha, I can't decide wether I flew too close to the sun or this is all part of the learning process..

Any suggestions?"

PS: See sad watch below.. It's not even right twice a day with the hands off! Hahaha (Hey, you have to just be a good sport about this stuff, right?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3442.JPG (159.2 KB, 723 views)
Old 8 December 2011, 11:43 PM   #104
Rikki
TechXpert

Put the balance back in and take a close-up horizontal picture of the balance and hairspring and we'll chat. Now time to slow down take a deep breath and regroup. I appreciate your ziel to want to jump right in but, now I think it's time for some baby steps. Unless you really mangled the hairspring it should be able to be straightened. When I see the picture I'll have a better Idea. Rikki
Old 9 December 2011, 01:36 AM   #105
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Rikki, I'll do that later today after work. What do you think about that screw taking off? The balancecock screw is sooo tiny.. good lord.
Old 9 December 2011, 01:45 AM   #106
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Brace yourself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3445.jpg (105.2 KB, 717 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3446.jpg (112.5 KB, 716 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3449.jpg (164.8 KB, 722 views)
Old 9 December 2011, 01:58 AM   #107
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Please note, I can't put it in the movement I don't think it will stay without the balance stud screw
Old 9 December 2011, 02:20 AM   #108
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Look what just came in the mail with my next batch of watch stuff.... Oh.. oh fate.. LOL!

On a more ironic note, if I had gotten this package yesterday this would not of happened [Lost balance stud screw anyway] since these new Dumont tweezers [#2] are FANTASTIC unlike the 'Pro's kit' [1PK-102T] I was using.. Those other ones shot the screw to mars. I had them in shape but for some reason.. they just always seemed prone to sending parts a'flying.

Lesson? (Well besides having Rikki regulate your watch for you... I mean who would be crazy enough to.. well.. nm) The lesson is DON'T CHEAP OUT ON YOUR TWEEZERS!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stuff.jpg (153.7 KB, 721 views)
Old 9 December 2011, 04:18 AM   #109
MoBe
"TRF" Member

Assuming the screw that took flight is steel have you tried sweeping the area around your work bench with a magnet?

Good luck.
Old 9 December 2011, 04:19 AM   #110
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

I have.. 2 hours worth of it in a small office space. Picture the smallest screw you have ever seen. Now half that. :O

hehehe... I am laughing about it now. I bought myself another watch to give me something to look forward to until Rikki gives me the prognosis. I'll start this book tonight as well.. I was waiting on it.. now I'm forced to regulate my own beat so to speak.. hah.
Old 9 December 2011, 05:29 AM   #111
The Joker
"TRF" Member

What a thread!! Great stuff Chris and Rikki.

Chris can you service my DJ when the time comes?
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2011, 05:50 AM   #112
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Well, I'd say at this point it will be a very long time before I touch anyones Rolex besides my own. I would suggest Rikki service it, honestly I would not trust me with my watches yet ;)

Much respect to the masters. And thank you for your confidence and trust in my endeavors.
Old 9 December 2011, 06:48 AM   #113
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Fantastic thread! Respect for your dedication!
Old 9 December 2011, 07:09 AM   #114
acce1999
"TRF" Member

I'm impressed! I just read the entire thread, and enjoyed taking part of it. I participated in the TZ Watch school when it was first launched some ten years ago. I remember enjoying going through the manual caliber, and later the auto with day and date complication (ETA 2836, if I remember correctly).

This thread brings good memories back. I enjoyed taking the classes, and since then I appreciate the art of watchmaking from quite a different perspective.

Chris, I admire your attitude, and willingness to try things out!

Continue to do that!

Best,

Anders
acce1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2011, 07:36 AM   #115
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Thanks Anders!

One of my buddies also did the TZ watch school. I was standoffish about it initially but perhaps it's worth peeking at. I am learning quite a lot and I am an avid reader/doer so I prob know a good amount of whats on there by now as well.

I'll continue to press forward one way or the other that is for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acce1999 View Post
I'm impressed! I just read the entire thread, and enjoyed taking part of it. I participated in the TZ Watch school when it was first launched some ten years ago. I remember enjoying going through the manual caliber, and later the auto with day and date complication (ETA 2836, if I remember correctly).

This thread brings good memories back. I enjoyed taking the classes, and since then I appreciate the art of watchmaking from quite a different perspective.

Chris, I admire your attitude, and willingness to try things out!

Continue to do that!

Best,

Anders
Old 9 December 2011, 11:02 AM   #116
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

You know guys.. perhaps I should read my watch book and stop pestering poor Tudorlex (The seller) about my pending datejust.. I'm such an annoying buyer...

'Did you get the transfer yet?'
'No.'

'No.'

'No.'

'No.'
'Di..'
'No.

Haha, he's out of country so I am giddy since I've never purchased anything globally from the forum. He's a great sport though. I'll leave him alone.
Old 9 December 2011, 01:50 PM   #117
Rikki
TechXpert

Well the hairspring doesn't appear to be totalled but will take awhile to straighten out. Most of my tweezers cost 35 and up to a few hundred. Screwdrivers are 250 a set for the Bergeon Ergonomic with the ball bearing stand,so always buy the best you can afford or save up till you can. Soooooooo if you need your hairspring fixed send it on down movement and all. Rikki
Old 9 December 2011, 01:55 PM   #118
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Great News!

Rikki, one of my biggest concerns is the stud screw, I have no idea what size or how to get one to even reattach the hairspring
Old 9 December 2011, 02:12 PM   #119
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

My PM to Rikki in the spirit of full disclosure :)
Title: And so it goes, haha.

Rikki, I'm thinking I should send you the ailing time piece. Any idea what that would cost? I understand you have not seen the movement but I know dealing with these springs can be a pain in the ass. I was going to purchase a balance complete and replace it. Then there is that damnable screw... I like to think of it as my little astronaut.

Then again, it is a way for me to pay you for your help... indirectly... (My whole plan all along!! )

*shrug*
Old 9 December 2011, 04:43 PM   #120
LordNinja
"TRF" Member

Back together for potential Rikki shipping!
I will say reassembly was fine until I went to put the hands on.. I really need to get a hand press, I am not confident in my hand-handling! Ah well.. Rikkiiiiii!!!!!

LOL!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rmade.jpg (147.9 KB, 682 views)