The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 30 March 2018, 09:15 PM   #1
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Buying from an AD

I've been looking at a GS SD for a while but never took initiative. I guess I have to get one in honor of this sub now. What kind of discounts can be expected?
LAFLARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 09:51 PM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFLARE View Post
I've been looking at a GS SD for a while but never took initiative. I guess I have to get one in honor of this sub now. What kind of discounts can be expected?
the diver? Thats on my radar if thats the one you are talking about. I think i probably prefer the looks of the bigger 600m diver, but its just too large.

Im getting a GS sooner or later. Im finally there i think, but its taken me a long time to get there. For some reason its a tough brand (for me) to wrap my head around so its a growing appreciation over time, and was not love at first sight.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 11:55 PM   #3
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I would love a GS diver but I just can't love the hands they use on them, particularly when the hands on most other GS are drop dead gorgeous!
Old 31 March 2018, 03:19 AM   #4
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
When I was looking for my SBGA031 the Seiko AD I went into would only discount the watch at 10%. Plus he told me he would have to write it up as if he took a trade in because he said they get audited from Seiko and dont want the Grand Seikos discounted. At least that was my 1 and only experience with a Seiko AD. That was on a $6700 MSRP watch. I ended up buying it from a watch shop in Spain and paid $4000 delivered. There secondary market takes a big hit so IMO if you could live with a slightly loved version you would be better off.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2018, 04:13 AM   #5
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
the diver? Thats on my radar if thats the one you are talking about. I think i probably prefer the looks of the bigger 600m diver, but its just too large.

Im getting a GS sooner or later. Im finally there i think, but its taken me a long time to get there. For some reason its a tough brand (for me) to wrap my head around so its a growing appreciation over time, and was not love at first sight.
I quite like the spring drive. I'm just all getting acquainted too but the sharpness of the hands on the white dial really caught my eye. Still deciding whether I like it more on a leather strap or bracelet. To be completely honest, if I had several pp's which included a few nauts, any other watches would probably not get very much wrist time!

Haven't stopped by a shop to take a look at various models yet, probably will do that sometime soon, but through pictures, Ben's presage blue dial is pretty hot too
LAFLARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 06:11 AM   #6
lucevan le stelle
"TRF" Member

Don't know if you mean from Japan or a US Seiko boutique. My limited experience in dealing with one of the stateside boutiques was far from positive and not on par with I get with my Rolex AD. To be clear they were not as professional in terms of responsiveness or getting back to me on a model that I was looking for.That is, they never followed up and were somewhat dysfunctional. Could have been the sales person that I was e-mailing and spoke to, but did not seem hungry or aggressive for my business, and I do spend on watches and they are not Rolex. At the GS price point I would go for a Japanese seller. On Japanese domestic model Seikos and Prospex models I would suggest that you get in touch with Marc at Long Island Watches. He is business-like and pretty easy to deal with.
lucevan le stelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 09:11 AM   #7
jackdot
"TRF" Member

I have only purchased from a Japan AD. I believe they gave me 10-15% off without asking and I got another 10-15% off due to the strong dollar.

I seem to recall hearing the specialty boutiques don't really discount.

Since you are in the Bay, you can check with Toppers and see what type of price they will give you.

My purchase back in January of 2017

US MSRP: $2300
Price paid: $1620-ish. (120+ Yen to the dollar at the time)
jackdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2018, 04:11 PM   #8
Jacobkg
"TRF" Member

Are you in the US? I would try Timeless Luxury or Topper Jewelers. Both will ship and should offer very competitive discounts.
Jacobkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2018, 04:20 PM   #9
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I would love a GS diver but I just can't love the hands they use on them, particularly when the hands on most other GS are drop dead gorgeous!
What about the 62MAS reissue of last year?
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 06:31 AM   #10
lucevan le stelle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
What about the 62MAS reissue of last year?
Yes, I think that is a keeper and will be a very desirable watch going forward.
lucevan le stelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 10:14 AM   #11
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I agree, I am having difficulty getting my head around the style of hands on the Grand Seiko...and also the style of the hour markers.

When I look at the style of dial and hands on my turtle, I go giddy with desire, but I can't say the same for the Grand Seiko's dial/hands.

No doubt the quality of the Grand Seiko case and movement is excellent, but if it doesn't have the visual attraction, then I will have to pass.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 01:01 PM   #12
Jidonsu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFLARE View Post
PM me if you want a contact at my AD.

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15400 | Rolex 114060 | Rolex 116710BLNR | Tudor Black Bay GMT | Tudor Pelagos Blue | IWC Mark XVIII Le Petit Prince |
Jidonsu is offline   Reply With Quote