The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 10 April 2018, 04:00 PM   #1
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Icon2 Grand Seiko Bracelets

Quite a few people seem to think that GS bracelets are not up to the level of higher-end Swiss brands, but I find mine to be as good as or better than any of my past or current Rolex bracelets. True, the screws don't line up flush with the link sides, but that just helps get the screwdriver in place and keep it there, with less danger of scratching the links, IMO.

Fit and finish is excellent, too, from the endlinks to the clasp, which opens and closes silently and securely.

Anyway, put your GS Bracelet pics here, if you care to, along with your opinions as owners.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (235.5 KB, 1074 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (236.7 KB, 1060 views)
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (226.7 KB, 1060 views)
File Type: jpg 4.JPG (227.3 KB, 1055 views)
File Type: jpg 5.JPG (191.1 KB, 1051 views)
File Type: jpg 6.JPG (245.0 KB, 1052 views)
Old 10 April 2018, 10:59 PM   #2
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Great looking GS!
Old 10 April 2018, 11:26 PM   #3
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I can only speak as a potential customer, as it was the bracelet and clasp that kept me from buying a GS a couple of years ago. I really wanted to like it, too, as I love the idea of the Spring drive and find the watch head and dial to be very nicely done.

But, that's just me. I'm glad you like yours.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 12:05 AM   #4
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
I can only speak as a potential customer, as it was the bracelet and clasp that kept me from buying a GS a couple of years ago. I really wanted to like it, too, as I love the idea of the Spring drive and find the watch head and dial to be very nicely done.

But, that's just me. I'm glad you like yours.
Thanks. What didn't you like about the bracelet and clasp? Lack of micro adjust?
Old 11 April 2018, 12:14 AM   #5
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I don't find them to be as attractive as say an AP royal oak or a Rolex DayDate president bracelet but mine ( which is only one, ie the SBGA103 ) is very comfortable. In fact, I think it's the most comfortable of all my bracelet watches. It wraps around the wrist very well.
Old 11 April 2018, 12:19 AM   #6
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Thanks. What didn't you like about the bracelet and clasp? Lack of micro adjust?

Yes, that's part of it. Mostly, though, my issues with the GS bracelets are subjective/personal (aesthetics, overall "feeling" of it being less well built, finish compared to the dial & case). The Snowflake otherwise would be perfect for me (I really like the poetic back story of the dial, plus I'm a big skier so that would fit nicely for me).

Again, I admire much about the watches (movements, dial, case) and their history. Just not the bracelets & clasps.

Old 11 April 2018, 09:19 AM   #7
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Yes, that's part of it. Mostly, though, my issues with the GS bracelets are subjective/personal (aesthetics, overall "feeling" of it being less well built, finish compared to the dial & case). The Snowflake otherwise would be perfect for me (I really like the poetic back story of the dial, plus I'm a big skier so that would fit nicely for me).

Again, I admire much about the watches (movements, dial, case) and their history. Just not the bracelets & clasps.

Thanks. Fair enough. I wonder if that had anything to do with the fact that the snowflake bracelet is titanium. Did you try any SS, also?
Old 11 April 2018, 09:37 AM   #8
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lack of micro adjust
That bracelet looks great and the end links fit pefectly. However, I'd need a micro adjustment of some sort, at least those old clasp holes.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 09:57 AM   #9
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
That bracelet looks great and the end links fit pefectly. However, I'd need a micro adjustment of some sort, at least those old clasp holes.
Yeah, micro adjust would make it perfect for me. It took me two sessions with a screwdriver to get it to fit really well, but here in HK where the temp can change from humid mid-30sC to dry single digits over the year, I'll probably have to take out or add a half link again at some point.
Old 11 April 2018, 10:21 AM   #10
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah, micro adjust would make it perfect for me. It took me two sessions with a screwdriver to get it to fit really well, but here in HK where the temp can change from humid mid-30sC to dry single digits over the year, I'll probably have to take out or add a half link again at some point.
It's a necessity. I had this problem with all my 1120 Omegas from late nineties like the 2254.50 and 2531.80, and later the gen one POs. They are my favorite modern Omega, great bracelets, solid clasps, but 'one size fits all' is impossible.
Old 11 April 2018, 03:07 PM   #11
Cru Jones

Quote:
Thanks. Fair enough. I wonder if that had anything to do with the fact that the snowflake bracelet is titanium. Did you try any SS, also?
Yes. SBGE211G.
Old 11 April 2018, 04:49 PM   #12
Old Expat Beast

Nice looking piece
Old 12 April 2018, 12:50 AM   #13
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I don’t love the idea of two tiny screws on each side of the link with a bar in between vs Rolex setup of one bar that’s threaded on one end and slotted on the other.

That’s very minor. My largest issue is the end link fit, which on my watch there’s a tiny gap, vs Rolex which is tighter tolerance or even Tudor which I’ve found to be the tightest of all, particularly the pelagos.

At certain angles you can spot the spring bar through this gap on some GS, which is an indication to me it could be improved.
Old 12 April 2018, 02:16 AM   #14
richierichie
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC Mark XVIII
Does anyone here have experience handling both Grand Seiko bracelets AND non-GS bracelets from Seiko? Like their $800+ SARBs or Dive Watches? I'm curious on the difference in build/quality..

I have a Speedy Pro, and I don't really like the look of the bracelet. Quality is nice, but I just feel a modern Rolex Oyster bracelet is second to none (appearance and build/quality).

I (used to) have an IWC bracelet and those were pretty darn nice. Lots of heft, quality and easy to use micro adjustment (didn't need to remove the watch to adjust). The appearance is just too fancy for my typical attire/style that I never really wore it.
richierichie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 09:09 AM   #15
AJSM
2024 Pledge Member

So the bracelet on my GS is very similar to the Op's. I really like the way the rivets go in and are held by screws. Ive had a Spring Drive GMT with the push out pins and sleeves like the way Omega does. Hard to swallow with a $7K retail watch... In my opinion any watch over 1K should have screws to hold the links together. I think my GS is just a comfortable as any of my other watches. I think it had 1/2 links on my bracelet. It does not have the ease of micro adjustment like the Oyster or Jubilee bands tho... Overall I think the quality is quite good...
AJSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 09:46 AM   #16
christo4
"TRF" Member

I had a spring drive sbga 029 diver that was my first "dip" beyond $2K for a watch. I loved the spring drive. Researched the origins and loved it a lot. Only now, based on others contributions here, do I recall the hassle with the pins (and spacers!) for sizing the bracelet as something which I endured as I knew nothing better. I flipped it because (1) nobody would/could service (lubricate n clean?!) the movement AND (2) the divers extension when utilized left an awkward gap between the bracelet and the clasp that left me dissatisfied. I had not yet even experienced any Rolex clasps, old or new. I was still dissatisfied. In retrospect, that slider bar extension is/was really unworthy of the watch-head mechanics and overall fit and finish. Maybe things have become more sophisticated in the past few years, but I'm not going back.
christo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 09:52 AM   #17
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I’d say the bracelets are very comfortable. I don’t like the clasp at all, how the logo side closes on top of the other side. I’ve seen gaps too where it meets the case as already pointed out. I definitely feel it’s the weak link for an otherwise fine timepiece. The ratchet on 029 diver is ridiculous and the clasp bulky. I’ve owned and flipped a ton of these, like 10. Didn’t stop me from picking up the new 267 simply for the unique dial.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 12:54 PM   #18
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Ok...I have a snowflake and a SS Spring Drive...

Here are my thoughts.

The fit and finish of each individual link is superb. No sharp edges (which Rolex and especially Tudor) can be guilty of. The links are smooth and have a luxurious feel. They feel great on the wrist.

The snowflake is titanium. It is held together with pins and collars. That is bordering on unacceptable for a $5800 watch. I kept having a pin creep out and i have to get a new collar to properly secure it. Seiko claims that it's because they can't tap TI for screws without them stripping. BS. Lots of companies have TI bracelets with screws, even Breitling can manage that.

The SS Spring drive has the screw and pin dealio, with is better, but still not as nice as Rolex screwbars. It's like what Omega does...

The clasps are low rent compared to Rolex. They work well enough, but they aren't a fliplock by any stretch.

I had a GS diver and still have a MM300 with the ratcheting clasp.

I decided within nanoseconds that the clasp was trashy + uncomfortable (these razor sharp curved pieces pierce the wrist when the extension is deployed) and immediately took off the bracelet for a Nato or rubber strap.

Overall, Seiko does an A+ job with the links in terms of smoothness and finishing.

They are quite comfortable..but do need a fine adjustment for better fitment.

However, they are subpar at putting them together with crappy pins and securing them with a cheapy clasp.

It's a mixed bag. If you are a true bracelet snob, disappointment is almost a certainty, so prepare for it.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 01:24 PM   #19
CKL1213
"TRF" Member

GS is top notch on the dial, case, markers, hands, movement...

but when it comes to bracelets construction, to be honest they are still lacking behind Rolex (the modern Rolex) and Omega.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gs.jpg (220.3 KB, 840 views)

Last edited by CKL1213; 14 April 2018 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: add photo
CKL1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 11:15 PM   #20
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
If you are a true bracelet snob, disappointment is almost a certainty, so prepare for it.
Never thought I'd be snob about anything, but clearly my demands escalated after the solid oyster bracelet with glidelock clasp.
Old 15 April 2018, 08:27 AM   #21
lucevan le stelle
"TRF" Member

It's a mixed bag. If you are a true bracelet snob, disappointment is almost a certainty, so prepare for it.[/QUOTE]

This. But on almost every watch, you choose your compromises. Personally the Seiko finishing, dial, and hands generally overcome the bracelet for me, and if you pull a titanium bracelet on a recent model, it usually is pretty comfortable. If you expect them to be Rolex quality, and at a much lower price point, you really are living in fantasy land.
lucevan le stelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 09:30 AM   #22
Old Expat Beast

I wonder if there is any between JDM and worldwide GS model bracelet build, cos my JDM SBGT235 really doesn't have any of the quality or comfort issues mentioned above, aside from lack of micro adjust. Endlink fit is as tight as my Milgauss, the clasp feels more secure yet is smoother to open and shut, and comfort is equal.
Old 15 April 2018, 09:54 AM   #23
PJ S
Banned

^
No difference whatsoever, they’re all made the same way, in the same place.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 01:01 PM   #24
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

As much as I like Seiko, IMO Seiko bracelet isn't their strong point and not as nice as Rolex or Omega
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 07:11 PM   #25
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I quite like my bracelet, I don't find the quality to be less than my Rolex bracelet. As some have mentioned above, it would be nice to have a micro adjustment, but it isn't a deal breaker to me. In the spirit of the thread, I have just taken a quick photo, it is not to the quality of previous submissions. I will take some more when I get a little time.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 07:25 PM   #26
Andad

Watch: A few.
An interesting thread on GS quality.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 10:50 PM   #27
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I have had two high beats. I like the bracelet fine. I also own rolexes and yes a micro adjustment would be great. I have no problems with the quality of the bracelet compared to Rolex though. I like the screws being sunk in....no chance of scratching the bracelet. I will say that I’m not a fan of the deployant clasp on my sbgr305. Not comfortable at all.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 11:23 PM   #28
CKL1213
"TRF" Member

By all means GS bracelets are still very well made but the bracelets itself doesn't reflect the same build aesthetic as their case, dial, markers and the hands.

The GS team seems to be over focus on their movement and neglected the bracelets.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
CKL1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 11:41 PM   #29
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
From what I’m reading it seems to come down to micro adjustment and not overall quality.

From pictures at least, the quality looks outstanding. I’d be curious to hear from owners regarding wearability and comfort. The smaller clasp looks as though it might wear more comfortably that the larger Rolex
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 11:09 PM   #30
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
First time to try GS in a bracelet. No comparison to a Rolex or Omega bracelet (Trilogy). Still prefer the latter for its construction creating a better feel for the watch on hand. The micro adjustment feature is a bonus. Having said, GS quality is one of its stronger points. But I’m looking forward to more variations on the case as it would seem all GS from quartz to automatic to Hi Beat to Spring Drive look alike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote