The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 April 2018, 02:39 PM   #61
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

No, hope not.
Old 17 April 2018, 02:41 PM   #62
Bartlette
Banned

No. I look like a normal, hardworking Joe. They never look at my watch. If I ever go into some place where a higher end wztch might give them a clue about me, I take it off.
Bartlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 02:41 PM   #63
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I was at a mountain bike race this weekend and I noticed a competitor wearing a 5 digit Sub. I didn't say anything aloud, but I was sure thinking "No, it's not safe."
pickettt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 02:51 PM   #64
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
I feel different wearing my Rolex than I do when not wearing my Rolex, only because I love and respect my Rolex for what it represents to me. I do not expect nor detect different treatment from others unless in a sales-forward environment. In which case, hell yes I am profiled when wearing my Rolex. I am also profiled when not wearing my Rolex in that same context.

"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

ref. 116520 Daytona - 10/2014
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 02:54 PM   #65
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Car dealerships do.
I second this.

Honestly, I was kind of asking for it too. I was shopping around for cars a lot last year (different models from 3 different OEMs). I am a bit younger, and could totally understand why some sales people wouldn't take me very serious at first given the specific cars I was inquiring about. Whenever this happened, I'd pull the sly move of pushing up the sleeves of my sweater while I started checking out the car or taking it on a test drive. A lot of the times when I did this I would get compliments on my watch and could sense a shift in general attitude of the sales person.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 03:27 PM   #66
EDL7
"TRF" Member

I don't get no respect...
http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pu...field_2390.jpg
EDL7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 03:29 PM   #67
golfertrb
"TRF" Member

I've had a few people notice and say "nice watch" but the coolest thing happened a fee weeks ago. My wife and I were at the mall doing some shopping and stopped at Chick-fil-A to gabapenten sandwich. One of the young men - I would guess 16 or 17 - working in the seating area commented that he really liked my watch and asked if I would mind telling him the brand. I said "It's a Rolex" to which he responded "Man, that is the brand - would you mind if I take a look?" I showed him my watch on my wrist (216570 Polar), explained how it works and so forth. He told me that he was working to save up for one - he wants a Submariner. I told him he was doing it right - saving so he could pay cash, etc. Just a really great conversation and it made me smile because so many kids his age couldn't care less.

I just realized that this story wasn't so much on topic - sorry about that! I hope you enjoyed the read :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
golfertrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 03:29 PM   #68
Rolexguy13
Banned

Watch: 116710LN & 79220r
I think people decide how to treat me on (a) my attitude, (b) their disposition, (c) my appearance. I don't think I've ever been treated differently based on my watch.

On another note, many here have mentioned car dealers. I recently too my mom to get a new car, and as we were driving up I said, "Let's take off our Rolex watches." I didn't want them to judge us as financially wealthy (we are not).
Rolexguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 04:20 PM   #69
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Same treatment regardless of watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 09:14 PM   #70
SackLVG
"TRF" Member

No one really cares anymore about what watch you are wearing unless you are around watch snobs. I got more compliments wearing the junk Apple Watch than I ever have wearing a blnr.

It’s why so many millennial men chose to wear expensive sneakers, you want compliments buy a pair of off white Nike’s and see how many peoples head turn.
SackLVG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 09:14 PM   #71
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007_Omega View Post
Do people treat you different when you wear a Rolex?
No.

Why would they?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 09:28 PM   #72
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Car dealerships do.

Yup. AD's certainly take note as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 09:32 PM   #73
el-heffe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerz616 View Post
Every now and then I see sales people look and they usually just comment on how nice my watch is. However, about a week or so ago we were down at Disney and one of my wife’s platinum earring backs broke. While we were out we walked into a jeweler and I just inquired about the cost to replace it and he happens to look at my watch and then said oh, I’ll just give you some and walked over to a case and pulled a pair out and took the backs off and gave them to me. I doubt they would have cost me much anyway, but looking like a warmed over pile of crap from a full day at Disney it was nice of him.
Awesome story. Membership has its privileges.
el-heffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 09:39 PM   #74
rodo
"TRF" Member

Ot at all
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 09:39 PM   #75
Flier
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Co workers yes
Normal people no
Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 09:40 PM   #76
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007_Omega View Post
Biggest difference is at Rolex ADs though. Wear my Omega or something else, generally just get treated as a young guy window shopping. No one treats me badly but I certainly never felt like I was treated great. Now, I walk into an AD and the glance at the wrist is followed by a big smile and great treatment.
this is quite interesting. i usually wear my tudors when going to ADs and I have never ever gotten bad treatment.

one time my wife came with me and we had come from the beach. you should have seen the nasty looks the female sales associate in the jewelry section was giving her. she was looking at her sandals and dress attire up and down. now the rolex salesman was nice as can be. letting me try on the platona, chatting about watches etc.

as we are leaving i was walking past the patek section and my wife said wow these are ugly watches and the straps look cheap. i could not believe it and said those are the most valuable watches in here. however, the rolex salesman said you know a lot of my customers from south america buy these watches and wear them because few realize they have value in their native countries. implying they were both unremarkable to the untrained eye and yes could be mistaken for a cheap watch. he then followed it up by saying everyone, even the untrained, knows a rolex.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 09:52 PM   #77
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Muggers and those who think someone who spends 10 grand on a watch is a bloomin' idiot do.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 10:00 PM   #78
ragingcao
"TRF" Member

Watch: cha talking about?
Nobody cares, really and most people don't know what a Rolex is.
ragingcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 10:02 PM   #79
Brownb2110
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Muggers and those who think someone who spends 10 grand on a watch is a bloomin' idiot do.
Valid point
Brownb2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 10:02 PM   #80
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I got a free hot chocolate at a fancy restaurant last week, not sure if it was my LVc or how enthusiastic I was about their divine Beef Wellington... but it wasn't the Rolex.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 10:02 PM   #81
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Only place I notice any difference is at an AD. They realize that you are "serious" and actually pay attention to you. Always comment on it immediately.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 10:03 PM   #82
Lemieux66
"TRF" Member

Watch: $10 Casio
When I've worn Patek in ADs I've noticed the staff are very gracious and attentive. Wearing Rolex, Seiko or Casio they just seem normal really.
Lemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 10:11 PM   #83
Yobber76
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
My normal attire is jeans heavy soled shoes and an average looking shirt, because I visit steel mills regularly. When I have walked into some jewelry stores they seem in no hurry to wait on me, once they see my watch, their attitude dramatically changes. In other types of stores, I don't think most people notice.
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 10:50 PM   #84
JayB
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP, DJ, NF
I don't think anyone has ever treated me differently due to the watch I'm wearing.

I normally wear shorts, t-shirt, trainers or flip flops and perhaps I've been lucky as every time I've walked into an AD they've always treated me very well. Even when I've had nothing on my wrist.

They only really notice if I've either spent a bit of time in there or when I put my watch down to try on something else. Yes this has then led to a few very pleasant conversations with the sales staff but I can't imagine it would be any different no matter what it was.

Granted compared to many my watches aren't up there with the top end prices but I can honestly say, I've never walked out of an AD wishing I didn't go in.

Maybe this is why I'm always a little surprised when I read some of the bad experiences some people have on here with AD's.

Outside of an AD, nobody ever notices which is just the way I like it

Rolex Explorer -- Rolex Datejust -- Tudor North Flag -- Omega De Ville Trésor -- Tudor Black Bay GMT -- Omega Speedmaster Professional -- Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 10:56 PM   #85
adawil2002
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16550 Explorer II
No, they do not notice or care about what watch I'm wearing. I am treated well because I'm a kind, considerate & respectful person.
6284 SS, 16014 SS Jubilee silver stick, 16253 TT Blue Thunderbird, 16550 SS Exp II Cream, bought in 1986, 116400GV Z-blue Milgauss, 79260 Tudor, 116660 DSSD-Blue, 116500LV Daytona White, 116710 BLNR, 326934 Blue Skydweller
adawil2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 11:01 PM   #86
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I have had people in my office make comments and a few people that work for my largest client comment - not in a complimentary manner. Ultimately I don't think they treat me any differently, but the client comments made me super conscientious to the point I keep a Black Bay Blue at my desk so when I have to go see these folks I swap watches. I know that makes me a super weirdo, but that's better than the snarky comments.

E-
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 11:07 PM   #87
DoDe
"TRF" Member

If people start to notice and treat me differently when I wear a Rolex, I will take it off.
DoDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 11:07 PM   #88
Bruno Datejust
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
When I went to the Serravalle Designer Outlet in northern Italy with Rolex, Burberry trench and shirt and analogue accessories I had typically a glance at my wrist and a nice treatment. There it was quite noticeable, but not only there. I don't care about cars or about browsing at car dealers of any kind, so I don't know.
Bruno Datejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 11:08 PM   #89
jackcarls0n
"TRF" Member

Watch: D'tona,BLNR,Bronze
When I wear the TT Daytona.. the ADs take notice..talk differently and treat you differently. But they won't talk about SS models. They want to sell YG models! People notice it more for sure, but don't comment much. But when I wear my $10 Casio, the ADs are more willing to sell or atleast put me on the list for a SS sports.
jackcarls0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 11:08 PM   #90
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
No. And what's more, the overwhelming majority of people never even notice what watch I'm wearing.

Shocking, I know.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote