The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 April 2018, 11:10 PM   #91
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Nope.

I get treated poorly regardless of my watch.

J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 11:14 PM   #92
JTL31
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

My neurologist was the 1st female who didn’t comment, “I like your Michael Kors watch”; she still ‘treated’ me the same way. Another Dr. asked about my LVc then proceeded to ‘treat’ me per visit protocol; he confessed to only having a Tissot. True story!!
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 11:21 PM   #93
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Yes. Every minute of every day.

I get to jump to the front of the cue at the grocery store; I am routinely upgraded to first class for free when I fly; my hairdresser takes an extra 15 minutes on my cut; dogs never pee on my tires; I get free Dom when I dine out; politicians routinely ask me for endorsements; celebrities ask me for my aotograph and Starbucks gives me free coffee. And the list goes on. Best money I ever spent - buying a rolex.
Old 17 April 2018, 11:29 PM   #94
lzz73
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228238
I ride the DC metro to work everyday, and people frequently notice and look at my Bluesy.

Not necessarily because it’s a Rolex, because, frankly they don’t know what it is, but rather because it’s a great looking watch and it sparkles. The gold and blue is eye catching whether you’re a watch connoisseur or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lzz73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 12:06 AM   #95
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I'm going to an interview soon at a very prominent tech Megacorp, debating whether I should wear my SD or not. So far my internal vote is "yes", I think I'll feel more like myself

At a watch or jewelry store everyone notices. And I also notice what they're wearing - Rolex!

And there was a thread about a guy who got attacked and had his Rolex taken, couldn't find it. Anyone who says "no one notices" is deluding themselves

But here's the video, got the crap beat out of him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCiWguud0Nw
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 12:15 AM   #96
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Watch stores only.
Old 18 April 2018, 12:15 AM   #97
Mile121
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600,116610,11671
I said to my Aston dealer how can you tell if someone is a player or a Tyre kicker, he said its not the clothes they wear but the watch they have on.
Mile121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 12:22 AM   #98
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I think it’s disingenuous to say no one notices or cares.

A lot of people are sizing you up out in public and in the workforce. Just because nobody says anything does not mean you aren’t being judged.

Human beings constantly judge people by their clothes, their shoes, their hair, their jewelry, their cars etc long before they judge their character.

And people in sales jobs of every description judge people for possible sales related reasons.

How you’re dressed, if you’re fat or in shape, if your clean, how your fingernails look, how you’re “put together” are all factors in how you judge and how others judge you. Even if you dress, so called grubby, people know by other factors if you’re a bum or just dressing down.

And I believe watch brands are just another way people’s impressions of you are formed, sometimes good and sometimes bad.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 12:25 AM   #99
Gunbucker
"TRF" Member

Want to know the truth? I get laughed at...

... largely by these three groups of dear old friends:

1) Those that don't wear watches and laughs at people who wear expensive watches, especially Rolexes, as wankers...

2) Those that do wear nice watches, but are into the higher brands such as Patek, AP, VC, Richard Mille, etc. Well, for this group, I get to laugh back at them on how theirs depreciate like a rock compared to my poor little Rolex (well, perhaps except the Patek owners)

3) The vintage watch lovers as having sold out, and again, as a wanker...

Yes, those no shortage of love around here, lol!
Gunbucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 12:25 AM   #100
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I think it’s disingenuous to say no one notices or cares.

A lot of people are sizing you up out in public and in the workforce. Just because nobody says anything does not mean your aren’t being judged.

Human beings constantly judge people by their clothes, their shoes, their hair, their jewelry, their cars etc long before they judge their character.

And people in sales jobs of every description judge people for possible sales related reasons.

How you’re dressed, if you’re fat or in shape, if your clean, how your fingernails look, how you’re “put together” are all factors in how you judge and how others judge you. Even if you dress, so called grubby, people know by other factors if you’re a bum or just dressing down.

And I believe watch brands are just another way people’s impressions of you are formed, sometimes good and sometimes bad.

Well said. Spot on in my opinion.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 12:34 AM   #101
Brownb2110
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Well said. Spot on in my opinion.
+1
Brownb2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 12:34 AM   #102
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Yes. Every minute of every day.

I get to jump to the front of the cue at the grocery store; I am routinely upgraded to first class for free when I fly; my hairdresser takes an extra 15 minutes on my cut; dogs never pee on my tires; I get free Dom when I dine out; politicians routinely ask me for endorsements; celebrities ask me for my aotograph and Starbucks gives me free coffee. And the list goes on. Best money I ever spent - buying a rolex.
Now that I think about it, dogs never pee on my tires, either!
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 12:49 AM   #103
2024 Pledge Member

On a serious note, I was on a flight and the guy next to me flipped his seat belt clasp onto my Sub ND twice when getting up to use the restroom. The first time I took it as an accident. The second time I took it as a slight and politely but sternly asked him to be more careful.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 12:52 AM   #104
Raza_actual
"TRF" Member

Watch: Monaco
Only when they’re trying to sell me something.
Old 18 April 2018, 12:52 AM   #105
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I was at a mountain bike race this weekend and I noticed a competitor wearing a 5 digit Sub. I didn't say anything aloud, but I was sure thinking "No, it's not safe."
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 12:54 AM   #106
Brew
"TRF" Member

Do you act differently when you wear a Rolex?
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 01:04 AM   #107
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEST HAM ROLEX View Post
No - it would be very sad if anyone judged you by a watch,,,
It is - just a watch
EXACTLY! ! I wouldn't want anything to do with such a person.

Mark

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 01:07 AM   #108
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Rolex - not so much...but I think that’s more because any Rolex short of a platona is pretty common here.

I did recently spend an afternoon browsing art and sports cars while wearing a PM AP (https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=596145) and did get more attention than my very casual attire would have normally warranted
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 01:08 AM   #109
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTdweller View Post
I’ve observed over the years that very few people pay attention to the watches others wear. The only places I’ve noticed conspicuous glances at my wrist were at Rolex boutiques.
Completely OT, but that is one cool avatar picture, my friend.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 01:11 AM   #110
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Not that I've noticed, other than in watch dealers when I'm wearing my 116500.

But what is interesting, is that since wearing nice watches, I've noticed every single subtle/sly/momentary glimpse that anyone has taken at my wrist. Made me realise that every time my eyes have had a quick look at other 'things', the owners of those 'things' will have clocked it!! Damn it!!

Eyes straight ahead from now on!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 01:26 AM   #111
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
I don't get treated differently as most people out there have no clue as to what I'm wearing. At luxury stores (watch, clothing, jewelry) or luxury dealerships, however, they do notice and treat me better as a result because they are thinking I have the money to afford their 'products'

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 01:28 AM   #112
Bt122
Banned

Watch: Ok...Watching
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile121 View Post
I said to my Aston dealer how can you tell if someone is a player or a Tyre kicker, he said its not the clothes they wear but the watch they have on.

Lol this is probably really true...

But it’s more of a player when your 8 year old walks in with a TT DJ diamond dial with her Chanel purse

I’m a bad father
Bt122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 01:35 AM   #113
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Never for me. I wouldn’t make any assumptions about anyone based on the watch they are wearing. IMO

“It’s a watch, it tells time. Not much else”
Sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 01:39 AM   #114
Raza_actual
"TRF" Member

Watch: Monaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRP View Post
I recently walked into a Rolex AD in the UK to enquire about the wait list for a black steel Sub C. It wasn’t a planned trip, I was in town for something else and spontaneously walked in, I had a long sleeve top on, my watch wasn’t visible and I’m in my 20’s.

As I entered I looked around for the nearest member of staff, there were 3 sales assistants in a circle talking to each other, I could tell it wasn’t work related talk, just gossipy chit chat. As I approach I politely asked about my interest in joining the waiting list for the Submariner and they were very dismissive in their responses, tone and body language. They obviously thought I was just some young dreamer and they wanted to get back to their gossiping.. They ended our conversation by saying “we’re not taking any more names on the waiting list”

I politely said “ok, thank you anyway” and as I was walking away I turned around pulled my sleeve down to reveal a 2017 Day-Date 36 in beautiful shining yellow gold and said “it’s just that I’m after something a little less flashy than my current watch”. In all my years on this earth I have never seen someone’s facial expression change so much. They Immediately offered me a seat, asked me if I wanted any coffee or champagne, I spent about 20 minutes in there trying on a variety of some really nice pieces they did have in stock. They even offered to put me on the Sub list! However in the end I decided I wouldn’t be doing business with them because the whole situation felt so false and two faced.

So in summary, yes, at first I got treated like a peasant and then I got treated like a king simply because they saw what was on my wrist. So in my experience it’s 100% yes people can treat you VERY differently
The absolute sign of trash sales staff. Treat everyone who walks in like they could be a potential customer. I mean, we’re well past the era of hoodie wearing internet millionaires, so that shouldn’t be a surprise, but even beyond that, it’s common decency and good sales practice. I buy from places that treat me well, I walk away from places that don’t. I live in a major city—there is no one who is the only game in town. They need me more than I need them.
Old 18 April 2018, 01:42 AM   #115
astewartconst
"TRF" Member

That guy in the video did a really sad job at resisting he should have just handed it over and been done if that was all the fight he was willing to make

astewartconst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 01:42 AM   #116
Syed117
"TRF" Member

When I wear an Omega, people might say nice watch.

When I wear an Rolex, a red carpet is rolled out in every room I enter.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 01:50 AM   #117
off
"TRF" Member

Watch: DaytonaC & GMT
I wear mine underneath a long sleeve. Don't need or want attention, regardless of venue.
off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 01:51 AM   #118
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarosh View Post
Never for me. I wouldn’t make any assumptions about anyone based on the watch they are wearing. IMO
I saw this at Disney World this year. A 12 year old girl with a Daytona on and a Prada bag over her shoulder sitting next to me on the monorail. The family was not from the USA and all were sporting Rolex watches.
Old 18 April 2018, 02:09 AM   #119
Teetime71
"TRF" Member

Watch: me nae nae
I believe I get treated the same no matter what I have on my wrist...

But whenever I see a lovely lady wearing a Rolex on her ankle I offer my gallantry and ask if I can check the time for her

Teetime71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 02:10 AM   #120
aguila9
"TRF" Member

Strippers do

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
aguila9 is offline   Reply With Quote