The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 April 2018, 02:12 AM   #121
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
At a luxury watch jeweler Yes! It was almost comical how I was being fawned over a few weeks ago at some big city AD's with my Daytona C on. Other than that not really!
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 02:22 AM   #122
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flier View Post
Co workers yes
Normal people no
HAHAHA.

I don't consider my coworkers normal either.

One guy asked me: "what kind of watch is that?" I just replied "it's a Sea Dweller" to which he asked, "why is the face blue?" I was in a large meeting so just said it was a "special edition" and left it at that.

A young lady made a snarky comment on my bark DD and made it out to seem like my engineering discipline (office full of engineers from varying disciplines) was apparently the one to be in (her's statistically pays more) or that I was "doing something right." She drives a brand new Range Rover. I think I said something like "it was this or year of car payments, but I don't have a car payment." I think she got it.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 02:30 AM   #123
Tebow15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
Nope.

I get treated poorly regardless of my watch.

Nominated for best answer
Tebow15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 02:33 AM   #124
Rolexier
Banned

Yeah they fall over themselves just to be in the presence of a Rolex wearer

Dumb question - I say it like it is voice of reason
Rolexier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 02:36 AM   #125
Vvvlllooo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I think it’s disingenuous to say no one notices or cares.

A lot of people are sizing you up out in public and in the workforce. Just because nobody says anything does not mean you aren’t being judged.

Human beings constantly judge people by their clothes, their shoes, their hair, their jewelry, their cars etc long before they judge their character.

And people in sales jobs of every description judge people for possible sales related reasons.

How you’re dressed, if you’re fat or in shape, if your clean, how your fingernails look, how you’re “put together” are all factors in how you judge and how others judge you. Even if you dress, so called grubby, people know by other factors if you’re a bum or just dressing down.

And I believe watch brands are just another way people’s impressions of you are formed, sometimes good and sometimes bad.
Agreed
Vvvlllooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 03:02 AM   #126
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bt122 View Post
Depends where... if I was wearing a Rolex in a seedy part of town... they treat me like a walking atm lol

I am just kidding

But in general no
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 03:24 AM   #127
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I was at Best Buy recently, the cashier said, "Nice watch." I said, "Thank you." That was all. My question is, did she just think it was a nice looking watch, or did she know what it was? No one has ever mentioned that my quartz Citizen or Garmin Fenix was nice.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 03:27 AM   #128
Simon_e
"TRF" Member

Yes, often. The most memorable was when I was at a boatshow with my wife, we were queuing up to look at some of the sunseekers, I had a short sleeve shirt on and an 18k yachtmaster. The sales guy took us out of the queue, gave us a tour etc. We couldn't afford a boat that expensive but he obviously identified us differently than all the other people queuing.
Old 18 April 2018, 03:30 AM   #129
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

No. And I wouldn't treat any differently neither.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 03:36 AM   #130
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619
I’ve never felt like I was being treated differently because I was wearing a Rolex. I think most people aren’t that observant. However, I always notice when others are wearing nice time pieces and on occasion, I comment on the watch. Usually, people are very receptive and nice.
jps3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 04:14 AM   #131
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Forget the Rollie, get yourself a Ron Burgundy shirt and be treated like a King, 60% of the time it works every time.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 04:18 AM   #132
S-F
"TRF" Member

The only people who would really treat you differently are those that are trying to sell you something and have "qualified" you as a potential buyer based off things they are trained to look for, such as watches, shoes and belts.
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 04:27 AM   #133
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_e View Post
Yes, often. The most memorable was when I was at a boatshow with my wife, we were queuing up to look at some of the sunseekers, I had a short sleeve shirt on and an 18k yachtmaster. The sales guy took us out of the queue, gave us a tour etc. We couldn't afford a boat that expensive but he obviously identified us differently than all the other people queuing.
I've loved those boats since I was a kid. Been a lifetime goal to work hard and get one of those for a while now (still a long ways away). The Predator line is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Forget the Rollie, get yourself a Ron Burgundy shirt and be treated like a King, 60% of the time it works every time.
Only if you wear the sex panther cologne!
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 09:56 AM   #134
tech_controller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Bleed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWCjapan View Post
People notice but people don't care.
The nice watch is yours, it won't make any differences if they treat you better. So why would they.
They treat you nicely maybe just because they happen to be some nice guys
This is true.

BTW, was in your place not too long ago....

The staff are very kind, polite and professional. I think I counted over 10 new BLNRs and 12 Hulks...

I can't say the same for my experiences in other Rolex stores whilst in the US where I have often been immediately sized up by my watch, "oh, that's a nice rolex you have" or by the shoes....which by the way, were not too shabby.

I detest snobby attitudes that clerks tend to give off...but yeah, I get it, they have tons of customers coming in from all types of socio-economic backgrounds and have to put their sales caps on and perform.
Old 18 April 2018, 10:47 AM   #135
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I was in a veterinarian’s office this past weekend. I was wearing my Rolex Submariner and I was getting a lot of attention from several young attractive women. They didn’t notice my watch, but they really loved my dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 10:52 AM   #136
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
I'm going to an interview soon at a very prominent tech Megacorp, debating whether I should wear my SD or not. So far my internal vote is "yes", I think I'll feel more like myself
The only reason to wear it would be because you think you’d feel more like yourself. However, as someone who’s worked in tech from early stage startup to fortune 100 companies I’d recommend not wearing it or minimally keeping it concealed under a sleeve while interviewing. I believe that people who aren’t perceived to spend money in ways that others may interpret as “flashy” tend to have an easier job negotiating higher pay from the employer.

Unless the person is in sales or entertainment. Then it doesn’t matter or can even have the opposite effect

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 10:53 AM   #137
Bt122
Banned

Watch: Ok...Watching
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-F View Post
The only people who would really treat you differently are those that are trying to sell you something and have "qualified" you as a potential buyer based off things they are trained to look for, such as watches, shoes and belts.
I’m not going to lie... I enjoy having my ass kissed. Especially when I’m dropping money.
Bt122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 11:39 AM   #138
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
No
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 12:00 PM   #139
matrotter43
"TRF" Member

Honestly I think a lot of people are oblivious even what a rolex looks like, I think a lot of people associate a gold watch as one. for an example, when i used to wear a nicer gold citizen watch, people used to make comments like "oh i see you with that rolex" lol, but the funny thing is, i wear a sub Hulk everyday, and i really believe a lot of people have no idea.

At work, two people who knew watches were really intrigued about the watch. One time, a partner asked "is it real?", and then he went on a rant about how great rolex is. You should have seen the entire engagement team's expression, nobody had a clue i was wearing a rolex the entire time and was shocked that a green watch was a rolex. Nobody treated me diff. after, though

long story short, i dont think a lot of people even know, the people who have made comments to me were always positive, and i think if you are genuine nice person, people care less
matrotter43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 12:11 PM   #140
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
The only reason to wear it would be because you think you’d feel more like yourself. However, as someone who’s worked in tech from early stage startup to fortune 100 companies I’d recommend not wearing it or minimally keeping it concealed under a sleeve while interviewing. I believe that people who aren’t perceived to spend money in ways that others may interpret as “flashy” tend to have an easier job negotiating higher pay from the employer.

Unless the person is in sales or entertainment. Then it doesn’t matter or can even have the opposite effect
I'm already planning on going to Nordstrom and getting a pair of slacks, a new shirt & tie. Attire is "business casual." Normally I'm a T-shirt & jeans guy. If I don't wear the watch I'll feel like a fish out of water because of that tie!
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 01:26 PM   #141
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajas View Post
honestly , nobody cares

There are certainly those that know and care. Had it happen many times.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 01:29 PM   #142
mementomori1983
"TRF" Member

mementomori1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 01:51 PM   #143
affalterbach
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko SUN065P1
People pretty much treat me like garbage no matter what.
affalterbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 02:03 PM   #144
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Wearing a Rolex might also be a factor for certain, enterprising women deciding whether or not you're roofie-worthy enough to go home with after which you realize, despite how charming you thought you were being the night before prior to drawing a blank, it wasn't really you she was enamored with after all.

Timex and Swatch wearers rarely get treated that way.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 02:26 PM   #145
tomas_morato
"TRF" Member

Some of my office mates probably had already seen me wear a Sub, nothing new; I didn’t even receive any compliment.

I’m worried with my relatives that probably if they will see me wearing a Rolex and know how much it cost, for sure, immediately they will think I have lots of money and start borrowing or asking money to me. Better I should say I wear a cheap and fake Rolex.
tomas_morato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 02:28 PM   #146
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Never noticed, don't give a damn.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 03:42 PM   #147
aalyu
"TRF" Member

not really unless the person is knowledgeable about watches
aalyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 07:12 PM   #148
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Without offending anyone I can say that luxury items on your person or the car you drive does not go unnoticed. If you don't see the treatment or behavior change than it's because you are a white male in business casual clothing or simply not aware of your surroundings.

As a latino male who dresses pretty trendy in jeans while traveling I see that my watch or car get noticed. Sometimes the treatment is better, sometimes it's not but it is noticed.

Drive into a BMW dealership with an M5 and see how they acknowledge your presence versus arriving in a Honda Civic.

I've walked into the Rolex, AP and Richard Mille botiques in Dubai and EU...both with and without my Rolex on and can tell the difference. Whether you want to blame the"shallow" salesperson or not, is irrelevant, but people do notice unless you're John Mayer, Brad Pitt or Kim Kardashian.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 07:33 PM   #149
jpcwon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, Lg Reverso
If I bought my Rolex hoping that it would get me noticed, I would feel as if I'm doing it wrong. I purchased my Datejust for the reliability, craftsmaship, heritage, and aesthetic as it relates to ME. If no one ever notices my watch, I could care less. Just my .02
jpcwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 09:28 PM   #150
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote