The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 April 2018, 01:12 PM   #61
railgrail
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbox View Post
I’d never wait on a list. Prices are only going up so the smart money buys now at whatever premium the greys are charging.
LOL, yeah, the "smart" money.

this place must knock IQ points off right quick. or maybe i missed the /s
railgrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 01:12 PM   #62
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by railgrail View Post
gonna walk over to the AD's on Madison Ave tomorrow and put my name on a list. you have to be a certifiable idiot to buy over MSRP.

I am with this guy. But it is your dough , you want to spend 15 20 grand on a SS watch then knock yourself out . I will not , at my ad which I put down 5k for I was told the price is 9 k and some change and that is what I shall pay plain and simple. Could care less if it does not show up tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 01:15 PM   #63
railgrail
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
I am with this guy. But it is your dough , you want to spend 15 20 grand on a SS watch then knock yourself out . I will not , at my ad which I put down 5k for I was told the price is 9 k and some change and that is what I shall pay plain and simple. Could care less if it does not show up tomorrow

butt buttt prices are only going up buhahahaaa
Old 19 April 2018, 01:22 PM   #64
rbox
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:

Doesn’t matter what the brick and mortar is selling watches for. The true market is online. You can’t even buy a rattly old non ceramic GMT Master for less than 10k. With prices only going up up up, it pays to buy quick online now and save on taxes.

You missed the /s
rbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 01:25 PM   #65
railgrail
Banned

Quote:
Doesn’t matter what the brick and mortar is selling watches for. The true market is online. You can’t even buy a rattly old non ceramic GMT Master for less than 10k. With prices only going up up up, it pays to buy quick online now and save on taxes.

You missed the /s

maybe i'll pick up a couple of watches tomorrow and by the time i get back to my puter prices will go up even moar and i'll sell one here for 30% markup (to an online genius)?
Old 19 April 2018, 01:26 PM   #66
rbox
"TRF" Member

Quote:
butt buttt prices are only going up buhahahaaa
Don’t laugh, this is basic economics. The fact that the market has risen rapidly in the past 6 months and promises of price increases have fizzled out, shows that it will only continue to climb at an increasing pace. However, I must give you this disclaimer: Rolex watches are NOT investment pieces. You should buy and enjoy.
Old 19 April 2018, 01:28 PM   #67
railgrail
Banned

Quote:
Don’t laugh, this is basic economics. The fact that the market has risen rapidly in the past 6 months and promises of price increases have fizzled out, shows that it will only continue to climb at an increasing pace. However, I must give you this disclaimer: Rolex watches are NOT investment pieces. You should buy and enjoy.
yes, and the stock "market" will only ever go up bc this time is different. hurry, pay 30% over MSRP to some online gray dealer! hahahaaaa this place is just amazing!
Old 19 April 2018, 01:33 PM   #68
rbox
"TRF" Member

Quote:
yes, and the stock "market" will only ever go up bc this time is different. hurry, pay 30% over MSRP to some online gray dealer! hahahaaaa this place is just amazing!
Rolex watches are magical devices and immune to any and all forces that affect precious items, currency and markets.

Also, don’t believe anything your AD tells you.
Old 19 April 2018, 01:35 PM   #69
DESH
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the numbers..
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post

some are paying over 30k over MSRP for stainless PP... :banged::banged:
Old 19 April 2018, 01:35 PM   #70
railgrail
Banned

Quote:
Rolex watches are magical devices and immune to any and all forces that affect precious items, currency and markets.

Also, don’t believe anything your AD tells you.
i only believe gray market dealers, and the bigger the markup over msrp, the more i tend to take them at their word.

disclaimer: i'll be wearing it mostly as a cck ring, chronographing the you know what....
Old 19 April 2018, 01:38 PM   #71
rbox
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i only believe gray market dealers, and the bigger the markup over msrp, the more i tend to take them at their word.

disclaimer: i'll be wearing it mostly as a cck ring, chronographing the you know what....
That’s the spirit. Well I’m going to leave you whippersnappers to it. I’ve got watches to list in the classifieds.
Old 19 April 2018, 01:41 PM   #72
railgrail
Banned

Quote:
That’s the spirit. Well I’m going to leave you whippersnappers to it. I’ve got watches to list in the classifieds.
good luck, and my unsolicited advice is to make sure you're jacking the price by at very least 40% so you can leave some negotiating room for your near "wholesale" price.

nothing like a good skimming and grifting operation/forum.
Old 19 April 2018, 01:52 PM   #73
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
In some countries they are allowed to charge what they like, altho maybe Rolex will put a stop to that too as they are clamping down on AD freedoms now so as to regulate their product better. $15.5k is a low grey estimate so actually a fair deal if you must have one now.

Here in Thailand it is one of those places where they can charge what they like and usually do.

I asked my AD before how they set these prices and she told me that each AD puts their feelers out amongst their customers and tries to gauge what is the maximum they think they can charge. The AD's will then all get together with the people in charge (I don't know who that is but I guess maybe Rolex Thailand if there is such a group) and they will all set an agreed on price that then becomes the sales price for each store. She said all stores should then be selling at the exact same price, even though that price is a premium.
This is the agreement that they make.
It's price fixing at it's very best but it's the way of the world around here so you put up or shut up I'm afraid.
Eventually in most cases, after a few years of high demand the prices would be adjusted down again.
Old 19 April 2018, 01:54 PM   #74
railgrail
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogdogg View Post
Here in Thailand it is one of those places where they can charge what they like and usually do.

I asked my AD before how they set these prices and she told me that each AD puts their feelers out amongst their customers and tries to gauge what is the maximum they think they can charge. The AD's will then all get together with the people in charge (I don't know who that is but I guess maybe Rolex Thailand if there is such a group) and they will all set an agreed on price that then becomes the sales price for each store. She said all stores should then be selling at the exact same price, even though that price is a premium.
This is the agreement that they make.
It's price fixing at it's very best but it's the way of the world around here so you put up or shut up I'm afraid.
Eventually in most cases, after a few years of high demand the prices would be adjusted down again.
the term is collusive oligopoly. if enough people had brains, the AD's wouldn't be pulling that off.
Old 19 April 2018, 02:01 PM   #75
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
Quote:
I’d never wait on a list. Prices are only going up so the smart money buys now at whatever premium the greys are charging.

I’m going to assume you are trolling...

Why would “smart money” buy at grey market premiums when you could simply wait on a list for a while and pay MSRP?
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 02:06 PM   #76
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangajack View Post
I don’t understand the surprise. The ADs would be selling them under market price if they sold them for what is currently listed as suggested retail price. They should have every right to charge what they want, and consumers should have every right to buy one, or not buy one. When the demand for certain watches ebbs, you guys are the ones asking for discounts... right? It goes both ways. There is nothing sacred about MSRP.

^^^yup!
ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 02:06 PM   #77
Panduh
"TRF" Member

Ill be one of the first in my area to get this beauty. If my AD asked me to pay over retail......well lets just say if I change AD's, so do all my clients, family, friends and referrals. Thats a hole no AD wants to be in.
Panduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 02:07 PM   #78
rbox
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c41006 View Post

Why would “smart money” buy at grey market premiums when you could simply wait on a list for a while and pay MSRP?
Just having a little fun.
Old 19 April 2018, 02:35 PM   #79
railgrail
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by c41006 View Post

have you taken gander at the classified section in this forum? there seem to be just enough idiots paying the premiums to these trf gm "dealers" here.
Old 19 April 2018, 02:39 PM   #80
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
Quote:
have you taken gander at the classified section in this forum? there seem to be just enough idiots paying the premiums to these trf gm "dealers" here.
Huh?
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 02:55 PM   #81
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
the term is collusive oligopoly. if enough people had brains, the AD's wouldn't be pulling that off.
Brains do not come into it at all I'm afraid. It's all Image, Image, Image. It's the piece to be seen in at any cost. Most of the public (with money) think this way so there is no way the AD's are not going to take advantage of this.

Unless Rolex put a stop to it themselves it will never change and why would it.
Old 19 April 2018, 03:04 PM   #82
phillycheez
"TRF" Member

Rolex should just sell online and only in their boutiques. Skip everyone else.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
phillycheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 03:04 PM   #83
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
yeah, i think i'll spend 15mins and call both here and out of state as well. no rush. i assure you, all the AD's will GLADLY put me on their lists.
Let us know how that worked out for you.

Quote:

Making this sort of personal aren't you? Broken left pinky, too?

Quote:
good luck, and my unsolicited advice is to make sure you're jacking the price by at very least 40% so you can leave some negotiating room for your near "wholesale" price.

nothing like a good skimming and grifting operation/forum
There are plenty here upset with the way the pricing is going; it's much larger than the forum. You don't need to make accusations like that. You're more than welcome to stay away.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 03:35 PM   #84
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
As far as I know Rolex AD’s in the US are obligated to sell for MSRP or less as part of their licensing agreement. So you are correct that it’s a suggested price but I don’t believe US ADs can sell for more than MSRP, just less.

That being said I don’t think ADs in other countries have the same restrictions as part of their licensing agreement. Or maybe those ADs just don’t care.

The dealer can sell whatever they own for whatever price they want to. And Rolex can decide to stop selling to the dealer whenever they want to.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 03:40 PM   #85
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
As far as I know Rolex AD’s in the US are obligated to sell for MSRP or less as part of their licensing agreement. So you are correct that it’s a suggested price but I don’t believe US ADs can sell for more than MSRP, just less.

That being said I don’t think ADs in other countries have the same restrictions as part of their licensing agreement. Or maybe those ADs just don’t care.

this doesnt make sense though. Rolex would allow an AD to discount but not to sell at a premium. From the Rolex perspective that is backwards. Discounts erode the image of the brand and premiums enhance it. If Rolex was going to hypothetically enforce anything im betting it would be the AD's destroying the brand value by heavily discounting slow movers and making the watches appear "cheap". That is the bigger problem for the brand IMO.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 03:58 PM   #86
D O C
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710LN
Ok if Rolex is manipulating the market by controlling the supply then they're losing money. They still sell the watches at the same wholesale price right? So if they sell less number of watches because they're supposedly controlling the supply then thats less money in the Rolex coffers. Am I missing something here?

I thought the goal was to sell more widgets. I mean isn't the whole idea of all the millions spent in marketing materials, TV, video, celebrity/athlete endorsements etc etc is to sell more watches??

Someone help me with this. Is my thinking too linear and simpleton?

D O C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 04:09 PM   #87
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D O C View Post
Ok if Rolex is manipulating the market by controlling the supply then they're losing money. They still sell the watches at the same wholesale price right? So if they sell less number of watches because they're supposedly controlling the supply then thats less money in the Rolex coffers. Am I missing something here?

I thought the goal was to sell more widgets. I mean isn't the whole idea of all the millions spent in marketing materials, TV, video, celebrity/athlete endorsements etc etc is to sell more watches??

Easy there Jim.

This is not the thread for posting sensible facts.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 04:18 PM   #88
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

I thought AD can never mark up the price?
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 04:27 PM   #89
Saturninus
"TRF" Member

I could understand the moral outrage if we were talking about a supplier of medications that has decided to maximize profit by withholding supply and driving up prices.

But we are talking about luxury watches here. People are upset about having to pay $15K for watch that has a list price of $9K, while 99% of humans on earth would never even consider paying more than $900 for any kind of watch.
Saturninus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 04:31 PM   #90
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D O C View Post

With what they are doing they are ensuring brand image and desirability for the long term. Cheapening of the brand in any way can have dire consequences in the long term if you are not careful. For example, keeping supply of the Daytona so low ensures that people are longing for them for many years. People are currently on 7 year wait lists etc. That's crazy and there are not many brands in the world that can do that.
Keeping themselves desirable and giving people a sense of exclusivity over others when they get a special piece is going to keep them at the top end of the pile forever.