The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 21 April 2018, 05:10 AM   #61
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Rolex installs longer hands on the T-Rex models during service. They won't swap the dials, however. At some point you'll start seeing more original 39mm Explorers with white gold 3/6/9 and proper hands as they get serviced and owners get their watches back with longer hands (unless they specifically request otherwise).

If anything, the WG 3/6/9 marker dials might be worth more to someone at some point in time but, as mentioned above, it won't likely be due to the hands.
You are a Genius! Boom ! I rest my case...
Old 21 April 2018, 05:33 AM   #62
zaydans
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710
I can’t believe this thread even exists. Ridiculous claim with no substance. That’s all it takes to start something nowadays.
Old 21 April 2018, 05:51 AM   #63
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
You are a Genius! Boom ! I rest my case...
lol. Rolex clearly admitted defeat on this one. Erring on the side of logic, rarity of the T-Rex will eventually go the way of the actual T-Rex -- extinct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaydans View Post
I can’t believe this thread even exists. Ridiculous claim with no substance. That’s all it takes to start something nowadays.
Agreed. Considering how many watches used to be common and affordable before appearing in the latest Ben Clymer article or John Mayer collection, the hobby side of this game has devolved into a race to guess the next hot item and flip it for profit. These used to just be wrist watches and any money lost between buying and selling was simply the "tax" of enjoying them. Now it's all about value retention and profit.

Of course, if the original T-Rex with imbalanced short hands is worth $30k in 10 years we'll all wish we'd bought ten of them.
Old 21 April 2018, 07:45 AM   #64
Polarbears
Banned

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Rolex installs longer hands on the T-Rex models during service. They won't swap the dials, however. At some point you'll start seeing more original 39mm Explorers with white gold 3/6/9 and proper hands as they get serviced and owners get their watches back with longer hands (unless they specifically request otherwise).

If anything, the WG 3/6/9 marker dials might be worth more to someone at some point in time but, as mentioned above, it won't likely be due to the hands.
But your story isn’t happening. They are replacing dials and hands together not separately.
Old 21 April 2018, 07:46 AM   #65
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaydans View Post
Find something more to your liking.
Old 21 April 2018, 07:47 AM   #66
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Roflmao, great post op
Old 21 April 2018, 07:49 AM   #67
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarbears View Post
But your story isn’t happening. They are replacing dials and hands together not separately.
Not on the white gold 3/6/9. Call RSC NYC and ask if they'll replace your dial during service. They'll gladly update your hands. You won't get the newer dial unless they run out of stock of what originally came on your watch. And, you can bet they have plenty of the old dials in stock.

This has happened to numerous Explorer owners. Rolex would rather they sell their watch and buy the new version.
Old 21 April 2018, 07:50 AM   #68
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
lol. Rolex clearly admitted defeat on this one. Erring on the side of logic, rarity of the T-Rex will eventually go the way of the actual T-Rex -- extinct.

Agreed. Considering how many watches used to be common and affordable before appearing in the latest Ben Clymer article or John Mayer collection, the hobby side of this game has devolved into a race to guess the next hot item and flip it for profit. These used to just be wrist watches and any money lost between buying and selling was simply the "tax" of enjoying them. Now it's all about value retention and profit.

Of course, if the original T-Rex with imbalanced short hands is worth $30k in 10 years we'll all wish we'd bought ten of them.
I say Stay tuned. I’m 100% believing my collector friends. Don’t take my word for it. Get out a chart. Set up watchrecon. Chart the upward trend in the next 24 months. I’m not suggesting doubling or tripling in price but I believe short hands will sell for more on the used market than the 2016 full lume Dial within 24 months. You can bank on it!
Old 21 April 2018, 07:55 AM   #69
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I say Stay tuned. I’m 100% believing my collector friends. Don’t take my word for it. Get out a chart. Set up watchrecon. Chart the upward trend in the next 24 months. I’m not suggesting doubling or tripling in price but I believe short hands will sell for more on the used market than the 2016 full lume Dial within 24 months. You can bank on it!
Bank on what? I have zero interest in the silly short-hand version. I'm guessing you have a T-Rex going up for sale soon?
Old 21 April 2018, 07:58 AM   #70
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Bank on what? I have zero interest in the silly short-hand version. I'm guessing you have a T-Rex going up for sale soon?
Did you know Children love emoticons?

I don’t sell. I don’t even have a short hands in my possession yet. Flipping is for fools. Put pencil to paper and revisit in 24 months. If you don’t care then don’t reply. “Childish emoticon moment”
Old 21 April 2018, 08:42 AM   #71
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:

I don’t sell. I don’t even have a short hands in my possession yet. Flipping is for fools. Put pencil to paper and revisit in 24 months. If you don’t care then don’t reply. “Childish emoticon moment”
No need to insult flippers dude..

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 21 April 2018, 08:57 AM   #72
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
No need to insult flippers dude..
Ok Ok!
Old 21 April 2018, 09:02 AM   #73
JacksonStone
Banned

It seems some people just want what they can't have, or what they think others won't be able to get. If the v.1 had sold well when in production, it would still be in production. Now because it's in short supply, suddenly people want it? Seems silly to me. It's still the same poor design. I guess that's why I'm not a collector: my desire to acquire is driven by what I actually like.
Old 21 April 2018, 09:44 AM   #74
jets
"TRF" Member

This is rubbish. The one I think everyone will want is the SD4K in 20 years after the big watch era wanes. As much as the SD43 is the best diver I've ever seen the SD4K is the final refinement of an icon over decades before it evolved into the 43. Short run and I do not think Rolex thought it was a mistake, they sent it off after a short run so it could become well sought after.

My thinking is that companies like Omega do limited editions and tell everyone it is limited. Rolex plays the long con and knows people will figure it out and do the word of mouth marketing for them. They're brilliant bastards Rolex they are.
Seiko SLA033 Willard · SKX007
Old 21 April 2018, 10:56 AM   #75
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Nah! Not for me!
Old 21 April 2018, 11:01 AM   #76
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

If you disagree with my opinion then don't quote my post and tell me to watch the market for the next 24 months. Move on instead.

I love emoticons. They allow me to harness my inner child.
Old 21 April 2018, 12:01 PM   #77
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
If you disagree with my opinion then don't quote my post and tell me to watch the market for the next 24 months. Move on instead.

I love emoticons. They allow me to harness my inner child.
Disagree with your opinion? You didn’t offer opinion. You rambled and implied I am trying to pump and dump a watch. You’re rude and need to grow up. You claim to have “zero interest” in this watch, if you have “zero interest” then it seems like your trolling a thread with your behavior. Now bounce.
Old 21 April 2018, 12:36 PM   #78
Hard_Six
"TRF" Member

Watch: those three’s roll
I respect the analysis... And I also think there is a possibility you could be right...
Old 21 April 2018, 12:37 PM   #79
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard_Six View Post
I respect the analysis... And I also think there is a possibility you could be right...
Appreciate it!
Old 21 April 2018, 12:45 PM   #80
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch This View Post
No oddity.
No real "errors".
No scarcity.
No high demand.

= Nonsense. As the saying goes, you're entitled to your own opinions, not your own facts.
Praise be we have you here to give us the "Facts"!
Old 21 April 2018, 12:51 PM   #81
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoosicPa View Post
Praise be we have you here to give us the "Facts"!
Rough shift today at Burger King?
Old 21 April 2018, 01:31 PM   #82
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Rolex installing longer hands during service for no apparent reason can only mean that the short ones were a mistake. I knew you could request it but not that they just did it anyway. Guessing they change weak cyclops mag crystals or 3186 issue parts now too as part of standard service. The short hands are a similar issue and not collectible at all. Rather consigned to the box - 'Rolex mistakes collectors want to forget'.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Old 21 April 2018, 03:07 PM   #83
Uhtred59
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Wow, this has gotten to be an ugly thread.
Old 21 April 2018, 03:10 PM   #84
drmizzou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector!
Nay nay
Pepsi GMT 126710BLRO
White DaytonaC 116500
Omega Seamaster 50th Anniv Bond OHMSS
Omega Seamaster Bond titanium
Old 21 April 2018, 03:13 PM   #85
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

I'm not buying it... or the watch.
Old 21 April 2018, 05:32 PM   #86
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch This View Post
Rough shift today at Burger King?
Totally uncalled for, and I'm ashamed to say I laughed out loud.
Old 21 April 2018, 06:33 PM   #87
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolr View Post
I'm not buying it... or the watch.
Here’s the thing, don’t buy the watch. Don’t believe in the collectibility. Just watch it happen and remember this thread. It’s a fun discussion now and years from all. Just enjoy the ride from the sidelines that’s all I’m suggesting.
Old 21 April 2018, 08:53 PM   #88
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Buy this to add to my "collection", because music industry dudes and their friends buy it, not because I like it. Got it.
Old 21 April 2018, 08:57 PM   #89
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by jets View Post

My thinking is that companies like Omega do limited editions and tell everyone it is limited. Rolex plays the long con and knows people will figure it out and do the word of mouth marketing for them. They're brilliant bastards Rolex they are.

A bit humorous but so very true. I agree with this thesis.
Old 21 April 2018, 10:17 PM   #90
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Not going to happen, too plain.
Closed Thread