The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 April 2018, 05:38 AM   #1
DylanFox
Banned

I gave up on my dream watch to pursue Blk SS Sub/date only to be disappointed

I’m farily new to the world of luxury watches and Rolex. I recently fell in love with the brand after a good friend of mine purchased a day/date Rose gold. I began to read on the brand and review the many watches that Rolex sells. The first watch that automatically started singing to me was the new ss Daytona with the white dial. I explored all avenues on purchasing this beautiful time piece but lost all hope after every authorized Rolex dealer told me the same thing. “Don’t even bother” , “ you have a better chance of seeing Jesus than purchasing one through us at retail”, “ look into other watches”, “hahahaha” etc, etc.. So I started looking at all other Rolex watches and fell in love with the clean, elegant and beautifully simplistic design of the black ss sub with ceramic bezel. I was told this watch would be much easier to get a hold of, so great! I was optimistic I would soon get a hold of one. AD took my information and said they will be in touch once they hear something. I waited about a month before I got a call. My AD is located in the heart of N.Y and called me this past Tuesday evening, notifying me that there will be a shipment of some subs made the following day, he requested me to confirm my contact information which I did. The next monring I got a text from the same guy at the AD requesting my credit card information and the security code on the back, I was told this was required to put a deposit down on the watch to hold it for me. I was thrilled and glady texted back my credit card information and the security code. About a half hour later, I got a call from this guy apologizing to me and informing me that “somebody else beat me to it” the watch is gone, I’m sorry”.. My heart was broken. Went from a superhigh to feeling superlow within an hour.. It was really disappointing that such a hihgly reputable AD could do that.. I wasn’t given any specific details other than, somebody who works with the salesperson who has been in contact with me, beat him to the sale. Didn’t make any sense to me. I’m so disappointed over that huge letdown. I don’t know when I’ll ever get a hold of one now.. If I cant get a cold of a sub, what can I get a hold of? I cant afford any of the precious metal subs.
DylanFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 06:46 AM   #2
Bigblu10
Banned

Forget the AD nonsense. Get in touch with a few of the trusted sellers here on the forum and tell them you would like a SS Sub. You will have to wire the payment to them, but you WILL get a watch!
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 06:47 AM   #3
zjd168
"TRF" Member

sorry to know it didn't go your way and they let you down.

SS black sub on the other hand is not very difficult to source. Be a little bit more patient and contact more ADs
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 06:52 AM   #4
ale70
"TRF" Member

I’m also in NY and know for a fact that an AD “in the heart of NY” is
A store you won’t see me walking in anytime soon.
By the way, buy from Davidsw. You’ll spend less than an AD in NY and it will be a much better experience!

And post pictures on Monday when you get it!!
Old 21 April 2018, 06:58 AM   #5
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
that was only one dealer. SS black sub is not that hard to get. Do some work, call around, call dealers in different cities, different state. I am sure you will find one sitting in the case waiting to be picked up.
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 07:02 AM   #6
MinMay
Banned

Just tell him you should be next on the list. These watches are not rare. My AD gets one per month so you’ll probably wait for another month.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 07:14 AM   #7
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

NYC is among the worst cities on Earth to buy a Rolex.

Try a dealer in another part of the state.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 07:23 AM   #8
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Stay positive and get on the list at multiple dealers if you want the AD experience. It shouldn’t be that difficult and it will be well worth it.

Also, for God’s sakes don’t start texting your credit card number around to random salespeople!
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 07:28 AM   #9
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
NYC is among the worst cities on Earth to buy a Rolex.
Canal Street comes to mind here...
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 08:16 AM   #10
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Keep trying, if you give up now you didn't really deserve it anyway.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 08:20 AM   #11
Bt122
Banned

Watch: Ok...Watching
You fall you get up. Part of the experience is the wait
Bt122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 08:23 AM   #12
harvey
"TRF" Member

You're lucky as you have so many trusted sellers on that side of the pond. As been said, email some of them to help.

If you don't want to go that route, I hope one of the forum members over there, can get a lead on one for you.
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 08:25 AM   #13
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex(4),15400
I can relate to your scenario and the others are right. Part of the fun and enjoyment is the hunt for your watch! Once you get it you'll love it that much more ;). Keep looking and you'll get your SubC. These models aren't difficult to find!
Bruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 08:39 AM   #14
urk
"TRF" Member

Tried one on this morning at my AD when picking up my 16610 that I had serviced. It's been sitting in the display case for at least 8 weeks as I also tried it on when I first dropped off my watch.
urk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 08:51 AM   #15
zaydans
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710
Go to DavidSW. Find the watch. Buy the watch via the website. Receive the watch next day. He is the best. Forget ADs in NYC unless you are dead set on having your name on the warranty card blah blah blah.
zaydans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 09:47 AM   #16
OH2004
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Why do so many people recommend DavidSW? I think his watches are overpriced. Just my opinion.
OH2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 11:56 AM   #17
SackLVG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taeham View Post
Why do so many people recommend DavidSW? I think his watches are overpriced. Just my opinion.
he's solid, reputable, but i wouldn't go to a grey unless you need it tomorrow. i agree the asking prices are ridiculous, especially for the watch he's looking for.
SackLVG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 12:09 PM   #18
DylanFox
Banned

Thanks for all of your feedback and suggestions, I really appreciate it. You guys are great. I forgot to mention that I have called every reputable AD in the New York City area and none of them have the watch. Rolex has been slow on delivery is what they told me. A few AD’s took my contact information and said they would call me. It’s been 3 weeks and ive only received one call which didn’t work out.

The process has me impatiently waiting but I can see how rewarding it will feel once I get my first Rolex.
DylanFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 12:21 PM   #19
dannyp
Banned

If it was the big "T" I'd steer completely clear. If it was Wempe, well, I'd probably expect a little more class and would go in and have a word with the manager about what poor form this was.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 12:36 PM   #20
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I gave up on my dream watch to pursue Blk SS Sub/date only to be disappointed

Chin up, as others have said it’s prob best to avoid NYC... try north jersey for example if you want to go through an AD. Alternatively, I can also vouuch for DavidSW. He has a new one listed now for a few $ than buying in nyc after tax

https://davidsw.com/product/rolex-11...-submariner-3/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 12:43 PM   #21
el-heffe
"TRF" Member

Dylan, I'd be pretty disappointed too. The good news is that the LN sub isn't too hard to find. I'd call around and get on a few lists. If you can make the trip to a few dealers (and maybe share your story so they know you're serious and passionate) it will help your chances. Passionate purchasers are more enjoyable to work with as many of the sales people love the watches as much as you do. Even if I'm not "in the market" for another watch, I still enjoy stopping by periodically just to talk watches or see what's new.
el-heffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 12:53 PM   #22
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Don’t give up. There are ceramic subs around. Your call, but I like buying preowned. One with a warranty card filled out in year 2017 or so. Price is a little lower. I have yet to be disappointed with any deal done on this forum buying from
trusted sellers. Do your homework, buy the seller, not the watch, IMO. If you must buy new, Trusted Sellers have new them, albeit at a premium. Sometimes that’s worth it, avoiding an extensive hunt and disappointment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 April 2018, 01:13 PM   #23
PLNYC
"TRF" Member

Go buy from Davidsw... I work in Midtown in NYC so I frequent the ADs there and they never have any in stock. T is also one of the worst ADs I've dealt with.
Old 21 April 2018, 03:30 PM   #24
drmizzou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector!
Sorry to hear. Just entered the watch market at the worst time. Cheer up! Once you find your sub, and it’ll be soon as many state -they are not that hard to find- the appreciation and enjoyment will be that much sweeter!
Pepsi GMT 126710BLRO
White DaytonaC 116500
Omega Seamaster 50th Anniv Bond OHMSS
Omega Seamaster Bond titanium
drmizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 03:55 PM   #25
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Keep trying!!! Good luck next time
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 12:19 AM   #26
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by taeham View Post
He charges market price, nothing else. When supply is good he has at least 15% discount over MSRP, and that's on a BNIB watch.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 08:44 AM   #27
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Stick with it. You can go with a trusted seller like DavidSW, he’s a great guy to deal with and often has reasonable prices and quick delivery.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 09:06 AM   #28
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Knock and the door shall be opened !!!
If it hasn’t opened yet , keep knocking on other doors ...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 09:12 AM   #29
jtw34240
"TRF" Member

pm me I know where there are 4 brand new subs with date at my authorized dealer. don't know if they will mail order it may require a trip in person. I was just there the other day and I saw 4 of them in the case.
jtw34240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 09:21 AM   #30
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
AD-BS=TS.
TRF #139960
RichM is online now   Reply With Quote