The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 22 April 2018, 12:55 AM   #31
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toony View Post
I agree so much with your first paragraph. If it’s in the case you should be able to buy it. Limiting to only 1 watch purchase I understand. But straight up refusing to sell a watch in the case to someone is something I never thought I would hear or see.
Bet you never thought the Hulk, unloved in July, is now selling for a 50% premium either. Times change.
Old 22 April 2018, 01:00 AM   #32
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
It seems too bad for the person seeing a watch on display and being turned away. Why put it on display? I bought my 114060 last nov. no problem fully stickered coffin etc. and 7% off, guess I just made it in time, they were just getting low. Question, No Stickers, does that mean tags as well ?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 22 April 2018, 01:01 AM   #33
storkdoc01
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sky-Dweller
I have purchased a TT Yachtmaster, Day/Date, explorerII, TT Submariner with Blue bezel, and most recently, a YG Sky-Dweller from my AD. He knows I’m not a flipper, just a watch addict because he performs all the service on these pieces. I came in yesterday to put in my order for the GMT-BLNR and was told the wait could be as little as 2weeks to one year. I was told that my previous purchase history moves me up the list significantly. Much different from the approach you were given.

My AD removes the stickers when the watch is delivered upon arrival and they make quite an event of it in a private show room with beverages and the filling in of paperwork, setting the watch, and going over all the complications.

I was also told that there are AD who remove stickers so they can sell the piece as a “return” and then charge a premium. What happens to the warranty in that case?
Old 22 April 2018, 02:35 AM   #34
arosado
Banned

Watch: Rolex, AP & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toony View Post
Hi. I’m hear to buy a $10,000 watch. Please leave. Amazing.
You stole my thunder. Bingo!
Old 22 April 2018, 02:50 AM   #35
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdinh View Post
In the glass for all to see: 116610LV, BLNR, 116610LN, 114060 and SD43.

They told me 100% Rolex requires them to retail previous customers who have bought non-rolex product from them before.
I suspect that this is a lie. I would inform Rolex of who this dealer is and how he runs his business.
Old 22 April 2018, 02:57 AM   #36
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
I suspect that this is a lie. I would inform Rolex of who this dealer is and how he runs his business.
it seems like making sure they have bought a less desirable watch also at some point in the past... IE as a non flippers test, and to make sure they are an established customer. I would suspect buying a non popular Rolex would probably be fine also. That is my reading into of the statement.

Plus plenty of ADs bundle non popular watches along with a popular one as a package deal, which is similar.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 22 April 2018, 03:02 AM   #37
masterdinh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610-LV
I’m sure it was a company policy not a Rolex policy.

Just stickers. I got the tags and everything else, no coffin.

I was there and saw the dude get turned down though. But who knows, maybe he asked for a discount and got his ass blown out.

This particular AD is not nearly as nice / professional as others in major metro towns. Its a crappy dealer, in a ghetto mall, in a poor town. It is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
116710 BLNR, 326934 Black
PAM 24
Old 22 April 2018, 03:03 AM   #38
ct.matt
"TRF" Member

The last 6 Rolex AD's I've been to in (2) LA, Salt Lake City, Munich, Frankfurt, and Bangkok wouldn't even add me on the list for the white ceramic daytona unless I established myself as a customer and bought a non-desirable non-sport model..
Old 22 April 2018, 03:08 AM   #39
zjd168
"TRF" Member

I prefer them to keep my warranty card for as long as they want, but let me peel off the stickers which is the fun part. I did nine before seemingly won't be able to do it again for a while
Old 22 April 2018, 03:43 AM   #40
liuk3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Bet you never thought the Hulk, unloved in July, is now selling for a 50% premium either. Times change.
50% premium?
Old 22 April 2018, 03:55 AM   #41
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liuk3 View Post
50% premium?
In UK been that way for months, £9.5K now. Even black is at £8.5K.
Old 22 April 2018, 04:00 AM   #42
Speed
"TRF" Member

I have zero interest in any new Rolex today. But if I ever develop a desire - who am I gonna call? Not an AD.
Old 22 April 2018, 04:01 AM   #43
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

Icon19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post
I see no problem here. Stickers removed is OK - and by doing so, it keeps the non-WIS / investor people away. People buying new stock to put in the safe can burn in ... (insert word here).

Watches are meant to be worn.

Investors buying new watches to put in the safe can go and buy Bitcoin instead.

/rant
You do understand that Rolex created this so-called "black market" with the way they control the pipeline and now the ludicrous draconian rules about stickers being removed and holding onto warranty cards. I find it to be absurd--when you purchase a product it is your's to do what you wish with it. Period the end. We are getting into some really weird zones with major companies enacting these practices. Let the "don't buy a Rolex" comments flow in, but I would dare say most people would agree with my opinion.
Old 22 April 2018, 04:08 AM   #44
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedpete View Post
You do understand that Rolex created this so-called "black market" with the way they control the pipeline and now the ludicrous draconian rules about stickers being removed and holding onto warranty cards. I find it to be absurd--when you purchase a product it is your's to do what you wish with it. Period the end. We are getting into some really weird zones with major companies enacting these practices. Let the "don't buy a Rolex" comments flow in, but I would dare say most people would agree with my opinion.
its the grey market, not the black market. That is a different thing entirely.

removing stickers, holding warranty cards, etc are to make it harder to sell on the grey market. Preventing or making it harder for people to "do what you wish with your watch" is making less watches hit the secondary market. There are noticeably less in the UK for example. Its Rolex's way of curbing this activity, not creating it like you are suggesting.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 22 April 2018, 04:17 AM   #45
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
The only part I really have a problem with is turning customers away when pieces are in the case. Telling walk-ins that "they aren't available" or "we have one in the back, but another customer has a deposit on it" or similar is fine. But to have it in the display case, seemingly available to the first buyer willing to buy, only to turn away those not deemed "qualified" is highly unprofessional and, I'm guessing, will eventually result in a rather unpleasant PR incident (you know, when someone claims they were turned away because of their race/religion/sexual orientation/etc.).

Interesting that there are dealers only selling to customers who have bought non-Rolex products in the past. In some ways it makes sense, as those are most likely "real" customers and not serial flippers.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the best way for Rolex to curb grey market is to change policy such that the warranty follows the buyer, not the watch, and anyone wishing to transfer it must "apply" to do so (with Rolex staff having the discretion to say "no" if they believe it's someone just flipping popular watches).
I'm 100% for the limitation on Rolex SS sports. The pieces were far too available in the last few years. It was almost ridiculous...

But, that being said, the dealer needs to discriminate with the watches in the safe, not in the sales case. To do otherwise is lunacy..,
Old 22 April 2018, 04:18 AM   #46
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post

removing stickers, holding warranty cards, etc are to make it harder to sell on the grey market. Preventing or making it harder for people to "do what you wish with your watch" is making less watches hit the secondary market. There are noticeably less in the UK for example. Its Rolex's way of curbing this activity, not creating it like you are suggesting.
What's the black market, fakes and stolen goods? A by product of the surging grey market is that these two are also at all time highs.
Old 22 April 2018, 04:20 AM   #47
SackLVG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjd168 View Post
I prefer them to keep my warranty card for as long as they want, but let me peel off the stickers which is the fun part. I did nine before seemingly won't be able to do it again for a while
The stickers is like the best part kind of like being a kid again and opening up a pack of cards.
Old 22 April 2018, 04:29 AM   #48
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
it just seems like they are trying their best to get the watches to actual customers. IMO thats a good thing as they seem to care about getting people who will actually enjoy the watches these pieces. Most good AD's are trying whatever they can to weed out flippers and this should be commended.
So all of a sudden ADs care about the end client and aren't trying to please the grey dealers anymore? They created this pathetic situation.
Old 22 April 2018, 04:43 AM   #49
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Crazy times. I couldn’t imagine turning away a customer willing to pay MSRP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 22 April 2018, 04:46 AM   #50
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Tyler--the reason the gray market exsitst and a Daytona costs 20k right now is because Rolex created that. They've manipulated and limited access to the watches, which is their right completely, but don't tell me they didn't create it. Who do you think did then?? The watches cost that much because they're synthetically scarce. With due respect, give me a break with the Rolex fan boy crap.
Old 22 April 2018, 04:53 AM   #51
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

Icon19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
So all of a sudden ADs care about the end client and aren't trying to please the grey dealers anymore? They created this pathetic situation.
AD's are to blame as well by giving "top clients" first pick--but they're just a cog in the wheel--the issue is Rolex creating the synthetic scarcity. Again, this is their right as a company--but this sob story of Rolex didn't create it and the AD's are just trying to get it in the rightful hands of customers--give me a break.
Old 22 April 2018, 04:55 AM   #52
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

....Rolex has gone out of their way to generate this frenzy over their watches. They killed it. It's all been perfectly orchestrated.
Old 22 April 2018, 04:57 AM   #53
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
Quote:
I’m sure it was a company policy not a Rolex policy.

Just stickers. I got the tags and everything else, no coffin.

I was there and saw the dude get turned down though. But who knows, maybe he asked for a discount and got his ass blown out.

This particular AD is not nearly as nice / professional as others in major metro towns. Its a crappy dealer, in a ghetto mall, in a poor town. It is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now your story is changing. There is a BIG difference from getting told no when buying for MSRP, and getting told no discount.

If this is in the U.S., an AD who refuses to sell to a customer a watch on open display and for asking price is opening themselves up to liability for violating numerous federal civil rights laws. Turning away someone seeking a discount is a whole different story.
Old 22 April 2018, 04:58 AM   #54
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
This reminds me of when Oprah got turned away from being shown a $30k Birkin while traveling in Switzerland because “she couldn’t afford it”. That went over real well for that store...
Old 22 April 2018, 05:08 AM   #55
masterdinh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610-LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoosicPa View Post
Now your story is changing. There is a BIG difference from getting told no when buying for MSRP, and getting told no discount.

If this is in the U.S., an AD who refuses to sell to a customer a watch on open display and for asking price is opening themselves up to liability for violating numerous federal civil rights laws. Turning away someone seeking a discount is a whole different story.
Really my story changed by implying maybe he got blown out for asking for a discount? I’m was tee’ing up a MAYBE reason why. Never said I heard him ask for a discount. Geez.... and I could care less he got his ass blown out.

Dude, I’m in Texas not California. And where I’m from in Texas we don’t go run crying about civil rights because we can’t buy a watch. This is a ghetto ass mall, no one is looking at civil rights. No different then buying a car. There are hard to get models ONLY sold to prior customers.

This is what I was told by the rep. Don’t give a rats ass either way I guess. I buy plenty of watches and I got one that day. I’m a little upset about not being able to buy more at the same time.
116710 BLNR, 326934 Black
PAM 24
Old 22 April 2018, 05:12 AM   #56
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Intentional or not, Rolex has created an almost uniquely grey market distribution channel. Been that way in the UK for a while, now happening in the USA. Not sure what the solution is, but this is what happens when ADs have little to no inventory and terrible customer service. Greys, on the other hand, have the inventory, charge a ton but are super nice (in my experience), offer overnight shipping and sometimes no tax. They are the new Rolex dealers, for better or for worse.
Old 22 April 2018, 05:14 AM   #57
liuk3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
In UK been that way for months, £9.5K now. Even black is at £8.5K.

I dunno what MSRP is in UK, but in US it’s $9050, so after taxes maybe about $9900 depending where you live. Grey market retail here in US seems maybe about $11k, so it’s not as bad as a 50% premium. That’s crazy people are paying a 50% premium in the UK. The premium for the Daytona-C on grey market seems to be about 50% which I find egregious.
Old 22 April 2018, 05:22 AM   #58
ccaballero
"TRF" Member

Watch: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedpete View Post
Tyler--the reason the gray market exsitst and a Daytona costs 20k right now is because Rolex created that. They've manipulated and limited access to the watches, which is their right completely, but don't tell me they didn't create it. Who do you think did then?? The watches cost that much because they're synthetically scarce. With due respect, give me a break with the Rolex fan boy crap.
Rolex has created the scarcity and thereby increased demand. While having the effect of increasing prices on grey market, Rolex’s strategy has also driven up desirability of brand which has a net positive effect on brand and inures to the benefit was f all of us who own a watch from the brand.
Old 22 April 2018, 05:22 AM   #59
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDyl View Post
Intentional or not, Rolex has created an almost uniquely grey market distribution channel. Been that way in the UK for a while, now happening in the USA. Not sure what the solution is, but this is what happens when ADs have little to no inventory and terrible customer service. Greys, on the other hand, have the inventory, charge a ton but are super nice (in my experience), offer overnight shipping and sometimes no tax. They are the new Rolex dealers, for better or for worse.
Amen.
Old 22 April 2018, 05:26 AM   #60
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
Quote:
Really my story changed by implying maybe he got blown out for asking for a discount? I’m was tee’ing up a MAYBE reason why. Never said I heard him ask for a discount. Geez.... and I could care less he got his ass blown out.

Dude, I’m in Texas not California. And where I’m from in Texas we don’t go run crying about civil rights because we can’t buy a watch. This is a ghetto ass mall, no one is looking at civil rights. No different then buying a car. There are hard to get models ONLY sold to prior customers.

This is what I was told by the rep. Don’t give a rats ass either way I guess. I buy plenty of watches and I got one that day. I’m a little upset about not being able to buy more at the same time.

Well maybe you should firm up your story before you start spreading fake news on the forum. You originally posted that a "Guy who was passing by actually got turned away trying to buy the LN." From that post it makes it sound as though turned down offering to buy a watch from the AD. Later you suggest he may have been declined a discount.... big difference. Is this AD turning down potential buyers offer MSRP on the watch? or simply rejecting discount offers? Two totally different situations. Your story..... which was it?

And Texas was still a part of the U.S. last time I looked.... and what's wrong with California? Better scenery than Texas.

And why do you keep referring to the "ghetto"? What defines a "ghetto" to you?
Closed Thread