The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 July 2014, 08:11 AM   #1
kavie
"TRF" Member

New Member, New Watch

Hi All,

I have been lurking for a while trying to learn as much about the world of watches before I started posting. I am now fortunate to be a position when I can afford my first luxury watch and it couldn't have come at a better time as I have a major birthday just around the corner. Clearly I have decided that the iconic brand Rolex is just the right fit, but I am hoping I can use this forum to aid me in securing my first watch. I recently moved from Canada to Houston, therefore I am guessing the availability and possibly price is at an advantage to buy in the USA. However I am confused about finding an AD, is that as simple as going to the mall and finding a store that sells luxury watches or is there other criteria that I should be looking for? Are there specific places that provide larger discounts? I do travel a fair bit throughout the USA (LA, NYC), however if it is only a tax savings I prefer to buy local.

As for the watch itself, what a fantastic problem to have, I obviously need to do more research but have taken a liking to the Yacht Master, Submariner, and Daytona. I don't mind something bold, that seeks attention, yet at the same time, I don't really care for timers as my watch will mainly be worn with a shirt and tie, or out for dinner. So many choices, I am very excited.

Thanks again!

Kavie
kavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2014, 08:43 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Only a Rolex authorized Dealer can sell you a new Rolex and not simply a luxury watch shop.

Go the the Rolex.com website and you can locate a Dealer close to you.. Rolex watches are not generally sold with much of a discount if at all.
Old 3 July 2014, 10:37 AM   #3
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Welcome
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2014, 10:53 AM   #4
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Sounds exciting go to an AD try some on, good luck
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2014, 11:06 AM   #5
bmwsubmariner
"TRF" Member

Welcome
bmwsubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2014, 11:56 AM   #6
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Welcome to TRF!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2014, 12:13 PM   #7
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
As stated,find an AD through the Rolex website. Go try them on and see which one makes you happiest. You probably won't get any discount on a stainless sub or stainless Daytona. You might get a discount on a stainless Yachtmaster as they tend to move slower. Try to get the 116622 with the new clasp. I've seen some dealers with the older 16622's in the case but the older bracelets and clasps are not as nice. People will tell you that you can get a better deal here on TRF from a trusted seller. While that is definitely true, there is a premium to pay for the joy of walking out of the AD with your watch sized and ready to enjoy with your name on the receipt and papers. Welcome to the forum!
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2014, 12:24 PM   #8
KINGROLESAR
"TRF" Member

Watch: CROWN MARKED
Welcome and good hunting.
Old 3 July 2014, 02:01 PM   #9
joe100
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Welcome aboard!

If you take a look at our sales section here, you will find some of our excellent trusted sellers. They'll provide you with a bnib Rolex at a nice discount. Your experience will be great. The folks will chime in below to confirm what I'm saying.

Good hunting!
Old 3 July 2014, 02:19 PM   #10
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Welcome and happy hunting

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2014, 02:21 PM   #11
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
welcome to the madness and good luck on your quest....the journey will be awesome

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2014, 02:43 PM   #12
sideysid
"TRF" Member

I don't mean to hijack the thread and am aware there are other posts on this while searching but.....

I have found myself in the same position as the OP. After finally deciding against the Omega Aqua Terra 8500 blue dial I have turned to the Rolex DJII (smooth bezel as I can't justify the extra for fluted, plus I thought it may not slide under shirts so well).

I am now torn between, blue Roman, black Roman, blue sticks and white sticks. What would suit a 33 year old with 6.5 inch wrists who wears suits daily?
sideysid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2014, 03:22 PM   #13
HACKNSACK44
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Welcome!
Old 3 July 2014, 04:04 PM   #14
lipjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC, Nautilus
Welcome to the forums!

"It is not our abilities that show what we truly are. It is our choices" -Dumbledore

Instagram: horolj_
lipjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2014, 04:21 PM   #15
Ryuden
"TRF" Member

Icon6

Welcome and congrats in advance for your upcoming new Rolex...

Have you decided roughly which one you are more inclined towards to as your first?

Cheers.
Ryuden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2014, 04:49 PM   #16
AnthonyJR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII
welcome!
AnthonyJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2014, 09:19 PM   #17
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Welcome and enjoy your search.
joli160 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2014, 09:31 PM   #18
soho
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
Welcome and have fun with the journey. Take your time, you will know when you are ready. Buying from a reputable seller on this site should be considered seriously. Good luck!
soho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2014, 10:06 PM   #19
texex91
"TRF" Member

Welcome to TRF!
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2014, 10:23 PM   #20
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I like the blue roman or white roman myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideysid View Post
I don't mean to hijack the thread and am aware there are other posts on this while searching but.....

I have found myself in the same position as the OP. After finally deciding against the Omega Aqua Terra 8500 blue dial I have turned to the Rolex DJII (smooth bezel as I can't justify the extra for fluted, plus I thought it may not slide under shirts so well).

I am now torn between, blue Roman, black Roman, blue sticks and white sticks. What would suit a 33 year old with 6.5 inch wrists who wears suits daily?
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2014, 10:23 PM   #21
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
Welcome to the forum.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2014, 10:28 PM   #22
Jeffa32
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust II
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideysid View Post

Couple of points. The fluted version white gold therefore costs more than the smooth stainless version. The other advantage is the fluted wg version doesn't show the scratches like the smooth version. The DJII does wear big so suggest you try alongside a 36mm version. See which one sings.
Old 3 July 2014, 10:32 PM   #23
Jeffa32
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust II
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavie View Post
Hi All,

I have been lurking for a while trying to learn as much about the world of watches before I started posting. I am now fortunate to be a position when I can afford my first luxury watch and it couldn't have come at a better time as I have a major birthday just around the corner. Clearly I have decided that the iconic brand Rolex is just the right fit, but I am hoping I can use this forum to aid me in securing my first watch. I recently moved from Canada to Houston, therefore I am guessing the availability and possibly price is at an advantage to buy in the USA. However I am confused about finding an AD, is that as simple as going to the mall and finding a store that sells luxury watches or is there other criteria that I should be looking for? Are there specific places that provide larger discounts? I do travel a fair bit throughout the USA (LA, NYC), however if it is only a tax savings I prefer to buy local.

As for the watch itself, what a fantastic problem to have, I obviously need to do more research but have taken a liking to the Yacht Master, Submariner, and Daytona. I don't mind something bold, that seeks attention, yet at the same time, I don't really care for timers as my watch will mainly be worn with a shirt and tie, or out for dinner. So many choices, I am very excited.

Thanks again!

Kavie
If you wear the watch with a shirt and tie then i prefer the pcl's on the yacht master and daytona. They dress the watch up a bit. Submariner is the perfect all rounder if this is going to be your only rolex. DJII worth a look as well.
Old 3 July 2014, 10:54 PM   #24
kavie
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice thus far. The common theme is to get to the store and try them on to see which fits the best.

When I get to a short list I will be sure to report back!

Thx again
kavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2014, 02:39 AM   #25
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavie View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice thus far. The common theme is to get to the store and try them on to see which fits the best.
When I get to a short list I will be sure to report back!

Thx again
Always the best plan!

Welcome to TRF and don't forget to post pics of your new baby...
Old 4 July 2014, 02:41 AM   #26
Soly20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Welcome to TRF!
Soly20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2014, 12:41 PM   #27
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
I am now torn between, blue Roman, black Roman, blue sticks and white sticks. What would suit a 33 year old with 6.5 inch wrists who wears suits daily?[/QUOTE]

Blue or white sticks will look great forever. The Datejust II with smooth bezel 116300 is a great choice! Time to go shopping and see which one makes you smith the most
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2014, 12:53 PM   #28
T01
"TRF" Member

Welcome!
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2014, 03:51 PM   #29
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Only a Rolex authorized Dealer can sell you a new Rolex and not simply a luxury watch shop.

Go the the Rolex.com website and you can locate a Dealer close to you.. Rolex watches are not generally sold with much of a discount if at all.
Well if he was in France I would recommend him 2 great grey dealers, they have between 8 and 25¨discount on Rolex, 8 is what I got on my BLNR, 25 was on my Daytona rose gold with ceramic bezel, don't remember the reference, seems 116515 if I'm not mistaken, but too bad he's not in France
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2014, 03:59 PM   #30
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Good luck !!
Plat Yacht-Master is sweet. I should've never flipped mine. And look at the polar explorer too. I drool over the polar lately, it's so nice.
Runnin' Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote