The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 11 June 2018, 11:46 PM   #1
digitalcrocodile
"TRF" Member

Safest way to buy online

I will only buy using my credit card, never a wire transfer of cash. I am happy to pay the 3% upcharge because it buys security from fraud. I know from experience. I bought a piece of jewelry (price > $10,000) last fall that turned out to be a fake. I contacted my card issuer, reported the fraud, and received credit for the transaction a few days later. Actually, in my experience, most credit card issuers are more interested in protecting the card holder than the seller, so the risk assumed is greater on the seller side. Just my 2 cents.
digitalcrocodile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 12:06 AM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
The safest way to buy online is from a reputable dealer with a stellar reputation.

Payment method is irrelevant
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 12:15 AM   #3
digitalcrocodile
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
The safest way to buy online is from a reputable dealer with a stellar reputation.

Agreed. And use a credit card.
Old 12 June 2018, 12:19 AM   #4
digitalcrocodile
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post

I disagree with your last statement. Once you wire cash you are on the hook. The rest of what you said is spot on.
Old 12 June 2018, 02:22 AM   #5
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalcrocodile View Post
I disagree with your last statement. Once you wire cash you are on the hook. The rest of what you said is spot on.
Exactly!

I would never wire money to someone I was not completely satisfied with!
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 10:24 AM   #6
po-porsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16760 "Fat Lady"
Interesting perspective. I've bought only two watches online, both from forum members here and I wired payment to both. I felt confident in the community here and the vetting of the sellers that this community does. But, I guess everyone has their own risk tolerance and buyers should only do what makes them comfortable.
po-porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2018, 09:06 PM   #7
jperalta86
Banned

Thanks for sharing
jperalta86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 07:00 PM   #8
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Yep

Quote:
Agreed. And use a credit card.
Absolutely use C.C. or Pay Pal or both! I don’t care who the seller is!!!DON’T wire transfer- you have NO recourse if something goes wrong.
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 07:11 PM   #9
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Ask your “reputable” seller to send you the piece 1st and then you will wire money to him- ha! If he doesn’t trust you why should I trust him?? Just let a piece get lost in shipment after you have sent a “trustworthy” seller ten grand or more and then tell me about what a great way that is to buy. It simply isn’t reasonable for a seller to expect all the payment when you have nothing - any more than it would be to expect him to send you an expensive piece w no money. If he won’t accept my AMX ( I will pay the discount if need be) then I will find another seller who is reasonable and wants to sell! All the folks who have gotten burnt on this site could have solved their problem with this one rule. :-)
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 10:16 AM   #10
LeDandy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cellini 5115
Point well made, credit card or PayPal. Wire money and you kiss it goodbye! I also buy only in the US so there is no problem with customs. Customs is an arena beyond anyone's control.

Last edited by LeDandy; 19 July 2018 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: additional point
LeDandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 10:22 AM   #11
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
I will only buy using my credit card, never a wire transfer of cash. I am happy to pay the 3% upcharge because it buys security from fraud. I know from experience. I bought a piece of jewelry (price > $10,000) last fall that turned out to be a fake. I contacted my card issuer, reported the fraud, and received credit for the transaction a few days later. Actually, in my experience, most credit card issuers are more interested in protecting the card holder than the seller, so the risk assumed is greater on the seller side. Just my 2 cents.
are you in nashville? a great seller is chase.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 12:24 PM   #12
zaydans
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710
Don’t wire money you can’t afford to lose. Each to their own though.
zaydans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 03:51 PM   #13
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaydans View Post
Don’t wire money you can’t afford to lose. Each to their own though.
My rule is to never buy a watch for money you can't afford to lose.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2018, 03:59 AM   #14
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
what is with the 3 0/0 charge? is it because they don't want to pay that fee themselves because interferes with their profit? they are already making money, so they want you to feel the cost instead. I called my CC company and they said this. Merchant stores pay the 3 percent, but these trusted sellers and others won't .
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2018, 06:28 AM   #15
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONZO2LR View Post
what is with the 3 0/0 charge? is it because they don't want to pay that fee themselves because interferes with their profit? they are already making money, so they want you to feel the cost instead. I called my CC company and they said this. Merchant stores pay the 3 percent, but these trusted sellers and others won't .
I think you're reading it backwards... the wire price is the discounted price, meaning they take 3% off their normal price in an effort to save you that amount and incentivize a wire... the credit card price is their standard price... then again different dealers price in different ways... you can tell the wire price is the discounted price if it ends in some weird number (i.e. $3600 vs. $3492)...
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2018, 08:08 AM   #16
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5205r-010
I have bought and sold from a Trusted Seller. I have wired out and received money wired in. I completely trust this guy. There is no way he would jeopardize his name by doing anything wrong. Buy the seller works for me.
GSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote