The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 June 2018, 09:52 PM   #31
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
The Toyota-BMW comparison was apt. I will post my picture of my Sinn. It’s a looker. It’s not a Rolex, but it costs a fraction of the price. The Sinn site has a roadshow in some major cities annually. Check their site. You can see them in person there.
Sinn is German, so which one is BMW (who by the way puts their logo on a line of Ball watches)?

Sinn makes some great watches. This is a favorite that I enjoy wearing as much as any Rolex I've owned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171118_164655.jpg (85.7 KB, 385 views)
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 02:01 PM   #32
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
If ever I needed a watch to club someone to death with.....
I've had an early, pre tegmented U1, a Bell & Ross branded 142(Space 2) and a 153, only have the 142 still.
Extremely durable, solid, good looking watches. Usually the movements are bog standard ETA, but they have done some interesting in house chronograph adaptations for the U1000, EZM 10 and new 140.
I've never had any problem with them, but I did hear of repeated issues from one credible member here.
I've also seen it mentioned in a couple of places that if something does go wrong, Watchbuys are not the best at putting it right.

If you are looking at a chromo, see if you can pick up one of the Lemania 5100 based models, they are absolute workhorses and easier to read than most chrono's, plus most have a cool vintage / military vibe. Tutima also made much use of the Lemania in their German military models, if you like Sinn, you might want to check those out too.
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 10:26 PM   #33
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Just received my 757 UTC back from service at RGM [US Authorized Sinn Service Center]. I'm the second owner, the watch was originally bought new in Aug 2016. I needed the chrono center hand replaced, as it wouldn't reset to zero. They also regulated, replaced the moister capsule, and filled with gas. All at no charge to me. It took a total of 7 weeks and couldn't be happier with the service.
dP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRF 1.jpg (221.6 KB, 325 views)
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 06:12 AM   #34
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I have / had a few Sinn. Their quality is good, but not quite Rolex, in terms of the bezel tightness and feel, the crown engagement, the bracelet and clasp. I don't even need to get into the material, finish and detail. :)

EZM 1.1 is the only Sinn I have now. Great watch, not a Rolex. :D

stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 12:23 AM   #35
Chris Nelly
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub
These last two are great looking watches, thanks for sharing. I have not ordered the 910srs yet, but I feel close to be comfortable in making the decision. Still trying to decide if the Speedmaster is the better choice.

thanks
Chris Nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 12:28 AM   #36
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nelly View Post
These last two are great looking watches, thanks for sharing. I have not ordered the 910srs yet, but I feel close to be comfortable in making the decision. Still trying to decide if the Speedmaster is the better choice.

thanks
Take your time. All good choices there.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 07:29 AM   #37
c007
Banned

One thing i know is that you can't go wrong with either.
c007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 09:08 PM   #38
Watch Possum
"TRF" Member

The Wages of Sinn-ing Can be Frustration

Hello my new found friends on TRF. I just joined to shop for a Sinn and have owned and sold a 104 model in the past, so want to chime in with my dos centavos, or two cents for those not from Texas. heh heh

First, like others have suggested, I’d attend a Watchbuys road show to see the product in the wild. They claim these events are talk and try on only, with no sales nor even order taking offered. That raises point number two.

Since you can’t buy the display models, which are the pick of the litter no doubt, you’ll be receiving a piece with only a three day return privilege. I recommend very strongly that you stay awake 72 hours and put that baby through every pace you can think of, cause after that window closes you’re just as likely to get a dissatisfactory response from Watchbuys as one you might normally expect to hear.

I’d study the threads on WUS concerning Sinn QC too, as you may decide against choosing one after that. Because third, even if you sidestep Watchbuys and go straight to Sinn, you may get very obvious problems corrected under warranty, but they sometimes allow themselves a dismaying leeway in manufacturing tolerances. That leads us to the conclusion.

Unless you’re willing to live with a product that has problems such as an obviously misaligned day wheel, a noticeable, to our eyes anyway, blob of lume on the second hand, or hands somewhat unparallel, you may want to look elsewhere.

So why am I considering another one? Is it a disease somewhat akin to gambling? It’s because the most important feature to me on any watch is a bidirectional countdown bezel, especially on a tool watch. If Sinn didn’t offer that I’d never have looked them up.

And here’s a rhetorical question: I’m searching for a particular model of “mission timer,” or EZM, which are produced allegedly for German Special Forces, both military and domestic law enforcement. Am I to believe they suffer the same QC issues that many of us, the buying public, do?

PS-If you’re interested in the particular issues with my 104, which led me to sell it despite, believe it or not, a loss of only One Second Per Month, feel free to PM me.
Watch Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 04:30 PM   #39
Watch Possum
"TRF" Member

By the by (or is it bye the bye or buy the buy?), I was being facetious about the 72 hours, but I hope it drove home the serious point.

FWIW, I’ve never been interested in a Rolex partly due to the nouveau riche flaunting them back in Texas, plus I’d only wear it as jewelry. Well I don’t like jewelry much but I do appreciate great craftsmanship and high quality. Hence, if anybody knows the feasibility of altering the control mechanism of say, a Submariner bezel in order to make it two way, I’d appreciate the info.
Watch Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2021, 11:45 PM   #40
Larry321
"TRF" Member

Sinn vs Rolex

I do not own a Rolex. I do own two Sinn watches, both of which I bought on eBay. I have a Sinn 104, and a Sinn 556A.

Both watches feel solid. They keep great time and have a nice sharp look.

They have easy to read dials, and no "jewelry" distractions.

I paid under $900 for the 556 A and just under $1200 for the 104.

If you can't afford a Rolex, you can afford a Sinn.
If you can afford a Rolex, you can afford to buy both a Sinn AND a Rolex.

I have over 50 vintage watches and my Sinn is the only watch I truly enjoy wearing as my daily watch.
Larry321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2021, 05:04 AM   #41
ajw45
"TRF" Member

I like and own both, generally Sinn is not quite Rolex from a build quality perspective but there's some variance in the Sinn line-up. The cheaper Sinn models are well... cheaper and not as nicely made vs the more expensive Sinn models. The EZM and U lines feel noticeably more solid in the hand with build quality maybe 90% there to Rolex but with materials and finish choices leaning towards function vs bling.

The one caveat and real big let down is the Sinn bracelet and clasp is crap. It is better than the old stretchy hollow center link bracelets from Rolex but not even in the same league as the contemporary Rolex oyster and really not even as good as Sinn's own silicon straps and deployants.
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2021, 08:07 AM   #42
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

I own Sinn UX for more than a decade. It is built like a tank or Submariner (more appropriate).. it is so robust n so solid I seriously think it is one of the toughest watch I own. The only watch come close is Rolex DeepSea.
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2021, 04:00 PM   #43
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

The Sinn 556i is one of my favorite watches ever. I wear it on a strap, and it’s built very solidly, with a heavy duty crown and no-nonsense lines. I really think it’s kinda the “Explorer” of the current age, and, oddly enough, an Explorer from 1970 used to cost about as much as a Sinn 556i does today, factoring in inflation. The 556i a solidly built, easy to read watch that’s cheap enough that I’d immediately buy another if it got lost.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2021, 07:29 AM   #44
stockae92
"TRF" Member

EZM 1.1 still going strong, not saying Rolex doesn't. LOL

Feel solid, not a complain, never skipped a beat.

stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2021, 08:49 AM   #45
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
mine's still rocking....

Old 4 November 2021, 05:51 AM   #46
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Apples and oranges.

Comparing Sinn to Damasko or another German watch brand like that is probably a better idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2021, 08:48 AM   #47
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona
I own the Sinn 856 and find it to be an amazing watch. In the 4 years I’ve owned it I’ve been nothing but impressed with it. Beautiful, rugged, and dead-on accurate. What more could you ask for!?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2021, 06:26 PM   #48
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
EZM 1.1 still going strong, not saying Rolex doesn't. LOL

Feel solid, not a complain, never skipped a beat.

Love my EZM 1.1 as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2021, 01:12 AM   #49
utc66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, PAM112,EZM1
I handed my EZM1 (original version) to my son to check out, he asked me if it was plastic. “No”, I said, “it’s titanium”. He was not impressed. I’ve had a love/hate with the titanium due to the lightweight feel (also own 16600 = heavy), but lately (5 years in) I find I’m wearing the EZM1 almost exclusively these days because it’s so dang useful and LEGIBLE as a sports watch. Quality-wise other than the plasticy feel of titanium the crown and winding mechanism is nowhere near the smooth quality of a Rolex. But it works. Bezel has some play, but I believe that is by design. Yeah bracelet with the hollow end-links are cheap but it’s a watch from the era before super bracelets. I think Sinn in general could step up the bracelet aspect of their offerings. I probably won’t ever buy another Sinn but I like reading about them and look forward to their future offerings.
utc66 is offline   Reply With Quote