The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 June 2018, 08:20 PM   #1
MyFunGang
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Advice Required on my First Rolex

Hello All......

As the title says it all.......

I am planning to buying this Rolex..... According to the serial No. its an 1984 make.......

Admin's please excuse me as i had posted the same topic yesterday in the vintage section, which i guess was the wrong section for seeking advice......

All members please help.....

Also would appreciate if someone can point out all the features of this watch, like flute brezel , presidential, hands name, dial name, etc, etc, as i am new to the world of ROLEX.

Please Please Please help me with the approx value to be paid to this piece or should i buy a new latest one ? Rolex authorised reseller suggested going for a new ROLEX instead of buying this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg R10.jpeg (57.1 KB, 558 views)
File Type: jpg InkedInkedR02_LI.jpg (248.7 KB, 559 views)
File Type: jpeg R01.jpeg (197.6 KB, 554 views)
File Type: jpeg R08.jpeg (125.3 KB, 554 views)
File Type: jpeg R05.jpeg (112.6 KB, 552 views)
MyFunGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 08:22 PM   #2
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Look on chrono24 for the market price for similar models.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 11:13 PM   #3
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

You do know that this is an Oysterquartz? They don't make this model anymore so you really can't compare to the cost of a new one. This particular one looks very nice though and looks like it's pretty complete too. Sorry I can't be of anymore help. Hopefully the experts can chime in. Good luck.
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 11:28 PM   #4
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
^^^ Yes! This is a quartz watch, not an automatic. It looks like a DD but it is not. Be very careful what you pay for this. I don't know for sure but seem to remember these are gold plated not solid gold. Oysertquartz's are not bad watches by any means, some really like them. Just don't compare with a current DD or one from same period to determine price.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 02:01 AM   #5
MyFunGang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
^^^ Yes! This is a quartz watch, not an automatic. It looks like a DD but it is not. Be very careful what you pay for this. I don't know for sure but seem to remember these are gold plated not solid gold. Oysertquartz's are not bad watches by any means, some really like them. Just don't compare with a current DD or one from same period to determine price.
DD is Day Date

This watch shows day as well as date.... So i am a noob.... Am I missing something.

Also seniors please tell whether is full gold watch or gold plated
Old 3 June 2018, 03:20 AM   #6
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFunGang View Post
DD is Day Date

This watch shows day as well as date.... So i am a noob.... Am I missing something.

Also seniors please tell whether is full gold watch or gold plated
DayDate is a model. OysterQuartz is a model. This is an Oyster Quartz. It happens to also show the day and date but it is not a Day Date. This is a very nice watch if you were looking for an Oyster Quartz. This model was produced as Rolex's 'experiment' into Quartz movements. Rolex never had, and hasn't since made a quartz movement, so these watches have collectibility, but most Rolex collectors are looking for mechanical watches. You need to do a lot more research on the Oyster Quartz before you decide to buy this watch. If you are looking for a Day Date you are on the wrong course.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 03:26 AM   #7
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Yes, this Oysterquartz is the Day Date version. This is the current Day Date/ President: https://www.rolex.com/watches/day-da...8238-0042.html.

Most importantly the current version Day Date is an automatic, not a quartz watch which requires a battery. This is an important distinction as you mentioned the current President in the post and wondering if you should get a new one vs. this Oysterquartz. Very different watches internally.

The Oysterquartz has merits though. Not having been produced since 2001 they are somewhat rare and people do collect them. I did some quick reading and looks like the gold is real gold, 18ct., but the link are probably hollow as all gold watches by Rolex from the period this watch was produced. Current DD links are solid 18ct. gold. Here is more information on the Oysterquartz: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolex_Oysterquartz and http://oysterquartz.net/.

So if you want a quartz that uses a battery then go for the Oysterquartz. But if you want an automatic watch that self winds then get a new, or slightly used, Day Date. If it were me and the watches were about the same cost I'd go for the automatic version.
Old 3 June 2018, 03:29 AM   #8
BlueAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
My father has a gold Day Date that is probably from the 80's as well. Beautiful watch although years ago he had the face changed to white because it was nearly impossible for him to read the gold face (he is getting on in years).
BlueAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 04:21 AM   #9
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocFord View Post
How can you say it’s not a Day-Date when it clearly says Day-Date on the dial? It’s no wonder the OP is confused. Yes, it’s the quartz version, not automatic, but you are giving the OP bad information by telling him it’s not a DD and that it’s gold plated.
It is the Day Date version of the Oysterquartz. I did not say it was gold plated, I said it might be and that he should be sure he checked that before he paid 18ct. gold prices.

The Automatic version of the Day Date, a.k.a. the President, is not the same watch. A Sub Date has a date as does the DateJust, but the Sub is not a DJ because it shows the date, same idea.

Also he asked if he should buy the used Oysterquartz version or a new one and these are very different watches, especially internally. Prices on Oysterquartz vary greatly, some gold versions are around $10K and some are over $100K. A collectibility aspect must be included in these prices as they are no longer made. Comparing the price for the one he is considering to a current automatic Day Date is apples to oranges.

I agree it's confusing to someone new, however I didn't choose the name of the Oysterquartz Day Date.
Old 3 June 2018, 04:34 AM   #10
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
If I were getting into Rolex as a watch brand, I would not start with the Oyster Quartz models. I'd start with the more traditional automatics. I believe the AD is pointing you in the correct direction. Typically these OQs go for $9K to $11K USD in my experience.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 09:05 AM   #11
MyFunGang
"TRF" Member

I thought the watches which have day and date are DD.... My bad.... I know the difference between quartz and automatic ones..... My concern is that I am found of Rolex as a brand and wanted to buy one. My brother in law is a jeweller and offered this one for approx $750.

It is worth buy this piece for 750?
Old 3 June 2018, 09:13 AM   #12
MyFunGang
"TRF" Member

Since this watch has day and date is thought it's DD...my bad..

I always wanted to buy a Rolex for myself and this watch was offered by my brother in law, who is a jeweller, for $750 approximately.

Wanted to know its worth this price? I am aware of the diff between quartz and automatic ones.....
Old 3 June 2018, 12:21 PM   #13
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Man View Post
DayDate is a model. OysterQuartz is a model. This is an Oyster Quartz. It happens to also show the day and date but it is not a Day Date. This is a very nice watch if you were looking for an Oyster Quartz. This model was produced as Rolex's 'experiment' into Quartz movements. Rolex never had, and hasn't since made a quartz movement, so these watches have collectibility, but most Rolex collectors are looking for mechanical watches. You need to do a lot more research on the Oyster Quartz before you decide to buy this watch. If you are looking for a Day Date you are on the wrong course.
Where to begin...

It is an Oysterquartz "Day-Date"... Read the dial. Oysterquartz is a line of watches, not a model. There was also an Oysterquartz Datejust. The Oysterquartz was hardly an experiment either, since the OQ line was available for 25 years with the same reference numbers, making these some of the most enduring models, and most enduring movements, in Rolex history. Also, the OQ does not contain a "quartz movement", but a hybrid movement regulated by a quartz crystal with eleven jewels, that was five years in development
Old 3 June 2018, 12:32 PM   #14
RolexComplex
"TRF" Member

You’re not ready to buy. You need to do research and learn more about Rolex watches.
RolexComplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 12:44 PM   #15
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFunGang View Post
I thought the watches which have day and date are DD.... My bad.... I know the difference between quartz and automatic ones..... My concern is that I am found of Rolex as a brand and wanted to buy one. My brother in law is a jeweller and offered this one for approx $750.

It is worth buy this piece for 750?
If you are just paying 750 for this...something isn’t right, disregard if it’s a quartz

If you really want a Rolex you have to cough up the money...no way around it
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 02:07 PM   #16
omitohud
"TRF" Member

As pointed out it’s Rolex oysterquartz day-date. If it’s $750, I’ll take 100 of them please. The gold alone is worth more than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 02:15 PM   #17
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
$750?!?!?! That can’t be right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 02:57 PM   #18
MyFunGang
"TRF" Member

Oops.... Its $7500..... Man I have gone crazy and I am making you people crazy..... I had written the reply at 4am, so by mistake wrote 750 instead of 7500.
Old 19 June 2018, 10:37 PM   #19
MyFunGang
"TRF" Member

bump...........
Old 12 July 2018, 08:54 PM   #20
bobmorgan
"TRF" Member

Buying

Best option is to buy direct from dealer who can give you information on the item 1st hand , Never buy from a 3rd party like Chrono24 becuase they wont answer any questions they are there to advertise they are also the worst company I have ever bought from, they wont give you a cent when it all goes wrong, buy from your own country so you have the legal power of Trading standards to support you, if you live in the UK and buy from Germany you dont have any redress, and no one will listen cos all the info you send will be in English, Germany is also one of the worst places to buy from i found false adverting buy Meertz world of time Prannerstrasse 13
80333 Munich Germany another wank company.

If Rolex were smart they would action a guaranteed buy back by main dealers they buy it back check it sell it again, simple
bobmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote