The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 June 2018, 01:27 PM   #91
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmp View Post

While my remark regarding the bezel still stands, the comment is the core of my query. That is: not understanding the super-popularity of a small design change which, to me - and only me - is rather insignificant.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
That’s the thing though that is interesting about Rolex ownership ...we all get really interested in small design changes. To use an example I posted a few replies ago, take the current Sea Dweller. If people getting excited over half a blue bezel and a blue GMT hand is of note, what about people getting excited over one single line of red text? One line of different colored text!

But it’s an emotive issue, and I myself love the overall design of the Sea Dweller. Just stating that there are other references that also have small (in some cases, tiny) design changes that also end up similarly exciting people.
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 01:36 PM   #92
Dompropat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
for me, no other reason than I just think it looks great
Dompropat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 02:14 PM   #93
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Fan View Post
I just got a BLNR last month. I LOVE IT!!

I travel across many time zones for work all the time. Been doing it for years. Gotta tell you I was really tired of changing my watch and then having to calculate what time it was, and what day it was at home - and if it is day or night. GMT Master II is really easy to change the day and time at destination and easily tell what time it is at home and whether it is day or night.

Oh, and it looks very cool too!!!
This was also a surprise for me. I wanted the Batman and the gmt complication but have been surprised at how useful it really is on a day to day basis. For travel. For international conference calls. It’s just incredible.

And, as you say, cool and beautiful. The BLNR has it all!
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 02:33 PM   #94
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankBullitt View Post
I think the GMT II in general, and the BLNR in particular, have a uniquely masculine appeal. For the BLNR the whole black-and-blue / bruising connotation does it, as does the Batman tie-in moniker.

I'm a 5-digit BLRO fan myself, but the BLNR definitely has an appeal in person that doesn't fully translate in pictures. It honestly does look like a piece of superhero kit on the wrist.

Back in the Happy Time Of Availability®, when I went window-shopping for Rolexes with a woman, they universally hated any GMT II that I liked, feeling that the colored aluminum bezels looked cheap and very un-Rolex, and the ceramic bezels looked even worse, like plastic. They don't fit a woman's sensibility of what a Rolex costing many thousands of dollars should look like. The black-bezeled Sub didn't get much love, but didn't get this strong negative gut reaction. The TT GMT II with black bezel they liked, and the Bluesy. Gold changes things.

But for most men, who like fancy tools and gadgets, the colored bezel on the GMT II, or especially the BLNR, is like a tool watch on stilts. They may not know exactly what it's for, but they instinctively sense that it has some special purpose, for a special man. Big, gnarly bezel, lots of numbers and hands, and mysterious bezel color combinations that have hidden meaning to those who know how to interpret them.

When I look at a BLRO, I think of Pan-Am's vintage glory days, world travel, swinging stewardesses, and pilots or military officers. In-charge dudes.
Great post....Really enjoyed it. "In-charge dudes." I'm going to start referring to my GMT as the watch for in-charge dudes. That's awesome.
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 09:23 PM   #95
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Actually, as you are being so pedantic (), you are correct that true black is not a colour but rather the absorption of all colours, however no Rolex ceramic bezel is "true" black and is, therefore a colour, albeit an achromatic one.
You want Countdown's Susie Dent's number? She'd love you. But only if you get me Rachel Riley's.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 02:27 AM   #96
smym18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
This!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
When I got notified I was quoted I for sure thought it was going to be someone mad at me for saying that
smym18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 02:30 AM   #97
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
You want Countdown's Susie Dent's number? She'd love you. But only if you get me Rachel Riley's.
Have you seen Susie Dent flirting with Jimmy Carr?
She's a mucky sort that one.
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 12:41 PM   #98
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNR Nairobi View Post
That’s the thing though that is interesting about Rolex ownership ...we all get really interested in small design changes. To use an example I posted a few replies ago, take the current Sea Dweller. If people getting excited over half a blue bezel and a blue GMT hand is of note, what about people getting excited over one single line of red text? One line of different colored text!

But it’s an emotive issue, and I myself love the overall design of the Sea Dweller. Just stating that there are other references that also have small (in some cases, tiny) design changes that also end up similarly exciting people.
You know what? I never even considered that! Although in no way am I suggesting OCD or anything abnormal, I also get can get 'hung-up' on details too. An example is I can't stand when carpets and furniture are not perpendicular or corners are not at right angles. To me it throws the room off and seems sloppy. I don't mean I break out protractor and T-squares but at least straight to my eye.

Yeah, weird but true. This is the first time I've spoken of this but certainly validates detail oriented watch lovers.(notice I didn't say "obsessed")

Very good point Nairobi
Mark

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2018, 07:54 AM   #99
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggi View Post
Have you seen Susie Dent flirting with Jimmy Carr?
She's a mucky sort that one.
I do know she really likes Danny Dyer and sometimes she wears these low cut tops that make dictionary corner too racy for a quiz show.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2018, 11:10 AM   #100
F900LX
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Obviously most people don't feel like the OP as the BLNR is still in very high demand and difficult to get. It's a matter of taste. Love my BLNR. Wouldn't wear a hulk if it were given to me. De gustibus non est disputandum.
F900LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 09:21 AM   #101
hallidc
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII / DaytonaC
I personally preferred the LN over the BLNR as the black/blue combo looked toyish to me.
hallidc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 09:25 AM   #102
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by F900LX View Post
De gustibus non est disputandum.
Exactly!

TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 09:31 AM   #103
Off Script
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
I was offered a BLNR in 2016 and turned it down .

I would like a GMT II and although I think the two tone bezel is a great idea functionally, the blue and black just don't do anything for me. If Rolex came out with a ceramic Coke bezel I would be first in line at the AD.
Off Script is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 09:32 AM   #104
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Blue is my favorite color, I had a black milgauss but traded for a Zblue but on the GMTII I'd prefer the black bezel LN but my favorite GMT is the EXPII Polar, more toolish and diversity for all those dark dials.
Different strokes for sure, all good choices

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 09:36 AM   #105
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Script View Post
I was offered a BLNR in 2016 and turned it down .

I would like a GMT II and although I think the two tone bezel is a great idea functionally, the blue and black just don't do anything for me. If Rolex came out with a ceramic Coke bezel I would be first in line at the AD.
You would have to beat me there LJ
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 10:30 AM   #106
WJGESQ
Banned

It sold primarily because folks thought the Pepsi and Coke were dead. One the SS Pepsi becomes main stream and obtainable the Batman will fall and be forgetten by all but the current owners.

Batman has a vocal fan base but then again, so does the Airking.

Preferences hard to reconcile.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 10:42 AM   #107
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

I like the BLNR. I love the LN. The LN has the added advantage of being the bargain of the entire Rolex lineup. Even new, we're talking less than most Datejusts.
BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 10:55 AM   #108
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
One the SS Pepsi becomes main stream and obtainable the Batman will fall and be forgetten by all but the current owners.
I highly doubt that. The PepC isn't everyone's cup of tea for various reasons. The BLNR is kind of the ceramic equivalent of the Coke.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 11:55 AM   #109
ingoodtime
"TRF" Member

I favor the 116710LN and that's what I own. As far as two tone bezels, we had the rootbeer get years ago as well as Pepsi and cke subs which are iconic. Ummm, do you get the BLNR now?

Lee
ingoodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 12:57 PM   #110
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
I enjoy the black and blue combo very much with the SS. Looks great with a wide range of clothing and human skin. Perfect with my collection. Like anything else if you dont find this watch appealing you dont put one in yoir collection. If you do you like it give it serious consideration.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 03:16 PM   #111
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
No need to educate you on anything. You either like it or you don't. You've been a Rolex man for decades. Something drew you to the brand. Perhaps it was something functional like the movement, but from there you still had to pick a model based on looks. The BLNR or any other model is no different.

You like it, don't like it or are indifferent. I think it's beautiful!
Best response so far.
Old 19 June 2018, 03:44 PM   #112
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
I moved mine on after it took me three years to realise I bought the hype and not the watch.

To BLNR is just not for me, that's all.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 05:14 PM   #113
scarab1st
"TRF" Member

I didn't like the BLNR, until I saw one in the metal. I like how the shade of blue changes under different lighting conditions. I also appreciate Rolex's efforts in coming up with the innovative technology in producing a single-piece two-tone ceramic bezel.
scarab1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 05:47 PM   #114
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smym18 View Post
I feel like the multi-colored bezel looks a bit childish. And then there's the nickname...
Fair point, and totally acceptable since different people have different tastes.

I just find it interesting though considering the picture of (half a) LVc on your profile picture, with the super green coloring looking toyish to some. And as for the BLNR’s nickname, as childish as that is (I’d never refer to it after a cartoon character) it is ironic that the reference on your profile also has nickname that just happened to be a cartoon character as well

Not to mention that the way the profile is set up (a LN and LVc hemispheres coupled together using photoshop) result in a ‘multi-colored bezel’
Old 19 June 2018, 05:51 PM   #115
Pavlos
"TRF" Member

It is all subjective. People buy what they like. I prefer an OP39 Rhodium over a Submariner Date, go figure. If I can ever afford it will get a flutted two tone date just as second Rolex.
Pavlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 06:18 PM   #116
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

The GMT is a fabulous watch, regardless of bezel combo or case material. Probably one of the best watches ever made available.
Having said that, it’s not for everyone, and whilst I have an unhealthy number of GMT’s in my collection, I also admire others in the Rolex line up. The humble Datejust being another iconic watch and not because of the brand recognition that comes with it.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 06:59 PM   #117
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarab1st View Post
I didn't like the BLNR, until I saw one in the metal. I like how the shade of blue changes under different lighting conditions. I also appreciate Rolex's efforts in coming up with the innovative technology in producing a single-piece two-tone ceramic bezel.
That the ceramic blue is so bright in sunlight, so muted indoors, and almost black in low light is just so cool and beautiful. I love mine!
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 07:21 PM   #118
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
.wrong thread.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 07:32 PM   #119
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
One the SS Pepsi becomes main stream and obtainable the Batman will fall and be forgetten by all but the current owners.
Exactly, in the same way sales of the Submariner Date (and Submariner) LN fell in the face of the LVc, and how the GMT II LN was forgotten when the BLNR came out. /end sarcasm

Quote:
Batman has a vocal fan base but then again, so does the Airking.
Now, this is true (no sarcasm). However, there is one little tiny difference - go to any AD (even in the UK) and one will almost always find an Airking. In the UK the BLNR has a several-year waiting list, implying that while both (may) have vocal fan bases, the sizes of those fan bases are significantly different.

But then again, as ‘sagely’ mentioned, once the Pepsi becomes common we will be seeing BLNRs sitting on display windows for weeks on end with no one to buy them. They might even get discontinued due to the lack of sales
Old 19 June 2018, 07:45 PM   #120
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
BLNR will go from 100% unobtainable to say 60% unobtainable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote