The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 June 2018, 12:03 AM   #121
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by smym18 View Post
And then there's the nickname...
I was in Vegas last year, went out shopping, and some Breitling salesman said "I like your Batman". I had to pause and think about it, and then realized that he was referring to my watch.

I agree, it's a stupid nickname. And I confess that when the BLNR first came out, I wasn't impressed and didn't understand the hype. But I liked it in person, and even more when it was on my wrist.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 12:28 AM   #122
4BostonB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Agree with OP- while I’ve never seen one in the metal, the blue half of the BLNR bezel almost looks like LEGO plastic to me in pictures where it’s in direct sunlight. I went with the LN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4BostonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 01:06 AM   #123
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by smym18 View Post
I feel like the multi-colored bezel looks a bit childish. And then there's the nickname...
One day if I ever get "all growed up" and put away my toys I'll run right out and get a serious all-green watch nicknamed "the Hulk" even though I'd never actually use it for diving because it (or any Sub) would nonetheless convey an aura of sporto maturity only found among those who spend vacation time daring to take close-up pictures of clown fish or are convinced they macho-up a tux.

Until then, however, I feel the childish multi-colored black/blue bezel matches well with the childish black/blue decor of my office. And although I'm sure it's entirely coincidental, they both have easy-to-read numbers plastered all over the place as well. Unnecessarily garish I'm sure, but it works for toys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BLNR.JPG (92.5 KB, 158 views)
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 01:41 AM   #124
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4BostonB View Post
Agree with OP- while I’ve never seen one in the metal, the blue half of the BLNR bezel almost looks like LEGO plastic to me in pictures where it’s in direct sunlight. I went with the LN.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Legos are great. Just the other day I built a Lego BLRO wall clock powered by hamsters on a wheel. Looks awesome and keeps +/- 6 hours per day.
Old 20 June 2018, 02:21 AM   #125
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

All Rolex GMT watches are unbalanced so the color doesn't make much difference to me.

The unbalance is created by the single digit and double digit numbers on the bezel. So if you can get past that, then the color stuff is just personal preference.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 03:00 AM   #126
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
All Rolex GMT watches are unbalanced so the color doesn't make much difference to me.

The unbalance is created by the single digit and double digit numbers on the bezel. So if you can get past that, then the color stuff is just personal preference.
True. It's sort of like the "unbalance" of having a dive watch bezel with 14 hash marks denoting 1-minute intervals in the first 15-minute quadrant, but only 4 hash marks denoting 5-minute intervals to cover the other 3.

One just has to get past it.
Old 20 June 2018, 03:07 AM   #127
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
True. It's sort of like the "unbalance" of having a dive watch bezel with 14 hash marks denoting 1-minute intervals in the first 15-minute quadrant, but only 4 hash marks denoting 5-minute intervals to cover the other 3.

One just has to get past it.
Interestingly the SD never felt unbalanced to me. Just the GMT. Possibly due to the number of numbers and the room they take up on the bezel.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 05:10 AM   #128
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Interestingly the SD never felt unbalanced to me. Just the GMT. Possibly due to the number of numbers and the room they take up on the bezel.
Funny, because the numbers on a GMT bezel never struck me as anything more unbalanced than say a watch dial with arabic or roman numerals, some numbers with one digit some with two.

A dive watch bezel with only 15 minutes of hash marks, however, weirds me out like seeing a bicycle wheel with spokes only a quarter of the way around.
Old 20 June 2018, 05:50 AM   #129
smym18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallidc View Post
I personally preferred the LN over the BLNR as the black/blue combo looked toyish to me.
I used the term childish earlier in this thread, but toyish may be more appropriate.
smym18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 05:57 AM   #130
WISAZ
"TRF" Member

Each person has their own taste. I've never understood the fascination with the Daytona.

Also, I used to think the Yacht-master II was horrendous looking but now love the White Gold YMII.

Tastes change and evolve all the time.
WISAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2018, 02:31 AM   #131
D O C
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710LN
OP me neither. Still trying to process it. I also don't understand the allure of the Daytona or the Hulk.

D O C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2018, 02:44 AM   #132
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyman View Post
The BLNR is a super watch, with great quality, modern features with a super cool look that just oozes class. If you don’t get it then that is no problem, Rolex make plenty of other watches.

Spot on x2
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2018, 03:23 AM   #133
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
The BLNR has turned into a hot piece for sure. I kept looking and looking as I wanted to add a GMT to my collection and decided I'd rather have the black LN but the PCLs kept putting me off although I have a Milgauss and really appreciate them as well as the polished case anyway my search ended when I rediscovered the EXPII, went Polar to mix it up with the dark dials in the herd. So what do I know. It's all personal choice and you really can't go wrong with any choice you make.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2018, 06:35 AM   #134
tuna_gmt
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16710 Pepsi
I just bought my first Rolex recently after admiring them for several years and opted for the 16710 Pepsi (circa 2003), even though it was more expensive than the brand new 116710 Black. I have to say the surface on the ceramic bezel is just beautiful. I don't think the pix do it justice.

The only issue I have with the new Ceramic bezel watches is that the numbers are just so big and so "chunky" of a font they feel overbearing. I actually want to like them more and hopefully will get used to them, b/c I do rather like the rest of the watch as a potential 2nd GMT. You could argue that the pre-ceramic bezel numbers are unremarkable, but they seem just right to me.
tuna_gmt is offline   Reply With Quote