The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 June 2018, 06:46 AM   #1
jvd99
"TRF" Member

Lieca jumps into the watch game

Looks like the venerable camera and optics manufacturer is getting into the watch game. This is cool. My dad shot a Lieca for my entire life and now I've inherited all his gear. No one does quality and solidly built toys like Leica. I also have a pair of Leica Binoculars that are second to none. I like the look of these watches very much, especially the GMT, and I'll probably be getting one sooner rather than later.

Check it out:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/le...l2-introducing

So what do you think?
jvd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 06:58 AM   #2
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvd99 View Post
Looks like the venerable camera and optics manufacturer is getting into the watch game. This is cool. My dad shot a Lieca for my entire life and now I've inherited all his gear. No one does quality and solidly built toys like Leica. I also have a pair of Leica Binoculars that are second to none. I like the look of these watches very much, especially the GMT, and I'll probably be getting one sooner rather than later.

Check it out:

So what do you think?

Looks clunky to me and overpriced if it ends up close to the $10m mark. Tons of other better options at that price price point .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 06:59 AM   #3
ProdigalGil
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ II 116334
Quote:

Check it out:

So what do you think?

The display case do look interesting for one who like robust high finish mechanics, as Hodinkee as, “industrial”. The classic Alecia red point was nicely implemented, and would have been interesting if they use some of their famous Lens for case back or dial...imagine a fish eye lens dome crystal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ProdigalGil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 07:06 AM   #4
jvd99
"TRF" Member

I like the German style of watch - clunky, robust, hockey puck, etc. For me, I'm an ALS guy because I like the big cases and strong lines as opposed to a more refined look like PP. Having a Leica watch would have a lot of sentimental value to me and I'd never buy a watch that didn't sing to me simply because it was the best value.
Old 15 June 2018, 09:16 PM   #5
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
It's one of the few watches that I enthusiastically dislike. Remove the "Leica" from the dial and would anything about the watch evoke thoughts of the brand ? A ruby inset into the crown to represent the red dot ? Why not just a red dot ? Leica is understated utility, executed with fine materials and exacting precision. A ruby in the crown is Anne Klein.
I wouldn't expect black chrome over brass for the case, but the materials, finishes seem pedestrian, the style and application of fonts and logos is not Leica-like and the stepped design of the hands or indices is not attractive...
I get industrial and utilitarian, but that movement is taking the piss. Still, it's the best looking part of the watch.
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 09:51 PM   #6
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I like the German style of watch - clunky, robust, hockey puck, etc. For me, I'm an ALS guy because I like the big cases and strong lines as opposed to a more refined look like PP. Having a Leica watch would have a lot of sentimental value to me and I'd never buy a watch that didn't sing to me simply because it was the best value.
‘German styling- clunky, robust, hockey puck’

Lol what
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 10:05 PM   #7
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=610316
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 10:30 PM   #8
christianj
Banned

Not a fan for the price! Overall it looks like a Daniel Wellington to me that all the IG influencers promote.
christianj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 04:01 AM   #9
jvd99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
‘German styling- clunky, robust, hockey puck’

Lol what
All terms (or synonyms thereof) to describe ALS on this forum and reviews

Obviously you took that as a generalization directed to all German products which obviously is not the case and I thought quite obvious as we are on a watch forum