The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 June 2018, 10:33 PM   #1
RFBHD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona116518GMTLN
Daytona Mission Impossible? I don't think so!!!

I decided to use the stop and ask plan and to get on lists ... near home and then in FL during a months vacation in Sanibel..... landed 2 in one week from ADs ...not sure if it was just luck or the plan worked.... The 116518 was in the safe and got a call 2 weeks later from a second AD who put me on the list for the 116500.. My GMT and my wifes Lady Datejust look great with the new arrivals!!!!
Rolex.JPG
RFBHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 11:25 PM   #2
albaserver
"TRF" Member

wow! You are one of the few to have bought the 116500 at list price. Congrats! :)

Instagram: @albaserver
albaserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 11:30 PM   #3
2024 Pledge Member

Nice score! The 116500LN came from an AD who you've never purchased from before?
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 11:42 PM   #4
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

A great example of how it's done!

Spread your wings with the dealer contacts.

Be cool with the dealers and they will be cool with you....which results in a win.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 11:45 PM   #5
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

Seems like the only way to get a ss daytona these days is to couple it with harder to sell pieces. Then they seem to magically appear from the back. Congrats on your pick up!
Old 18 June 2018, 11:56 PM   #6
dmash
"TRF" Member

'Mission impossible, don't think so! Now let me pledge and throw it on the forums to try and make $6000!'

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=610383

You want to sell it, that's your call. but I can't believe you honestly made this thread bragging about it, while others are patiently waiting on lists, and you simply got it to flip.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 11:59 PM   #7
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
'Mission impossible, don't think so! Now let me pledge and throw it on the forums to try and make $6000!'

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=610383

You want to sell it, that's your call. but I can't believe you honestly made this thread bragging about it, while others are patiently waiting on lists, and you simply got it to flip.

I am not that militaristic against flippers, but it seems exceptionally crass to brag about getting a hot piece when all really, you were just interested in profiteering.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2018, 11:59 PM   #8
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
A great example of how it's done!

Spread your wings with the dealer contacts.

Be cool with the dealers and they will be cool with you....which results in a win.
Yup, he's being super cool with them. I wonder what their reaction would be if they found out about his flip Especially when 99% of ADs are essentially interviewing potential purchasers to try and ensure this doesn't happen.
Old 19 June 2018, 12:01 AM   #9
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post

I am not that militaristic against flippers, but it seems exceptionally crass to brag about getting a hot piece when all really, you were just interested in profiteering.
Yup, that's why I included the last bit in my post. This entire hobby is slowly becoming ruined.
Old 19 June 2018, 12:02 AM   #10
Scapegoat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Pro
Nice one and enjoy your watch sir
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 12:07 AM   #11
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yup, that's why I included the last bit in my post. This entire hobby is slowly becoming ruined.
I do think there are beacons of hope, and genuine integrity still exists in this hobby despite all the recent glaring examples of shamelessness (mostly displayed by new members, I might add.)

I've recently secured two exceptionally hot pieces at their list prices with the gracious help of TRF members who could have taken them and flipped them for 5-digit profits.
Old 19 June 2018, 12:07 AM   #12
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
OP joined TRF just to profit off a member is sad IMO!
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 12:11 AM   #13
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

You are amazing. Where is the swoon emoji when you need it?
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 12:11 AM   #14
tjfslaughter
Banned

Quote:
Wow. Come here and show how "lucky" you are just to flip it. This thread should have never been started.
tjfslaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 12:16 AM   #15
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
This is where rules need to change. Flipping (with X timeframe) = warranty voiding at a bare minimum + ban of purchasing certain pieces.

Plain sad...
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 12:18 AM   #16
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
Wow. Come here and show how "lucky" you are just to flip it. This thread should have never been started.
It's actually pretty pathetic, that when he made this post, my first thought was not 'happiness' for him....it was 'hmm, new member, already pledged...let me check if he has a for sale listing'. That's the current state of affairs in this hobby.

5 years ago, a lot of watch people I know would be all about helping each other out, getting great deals, etc etc etc. Now a lot of 'newcomers' to the watch scene, are only concerned about making a profit and treating watches as some type of side business.
Old 19 June 2018, 12:21 AM   #17
stylinleems
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
... 5 years ago, a lot of watch people I know would be all about helping each other out, getting great deals, etc etc etc. Now a lot of 'newcomers' to the watch scene, are only concerned about making a profit and treating watches as some type of side business.
100% agree - I've helped out other people to obtain watches at great deals from some ADs that I have purchased from.

Making a profit is one thing, but just bragging about obtaining and posting it for sale right away is not cool just takes away from the hobby.

OP should have enjoyed it and if felt wasn't for him, sold it. (But to each their own)
stylinleems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 12:21 AM   #18
tjfslaughter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
This is where rules need to change. Flipping (with X timeframe) = warranty voiding at a bare minimum + ban of purchasing certain pieces.

Plain sad...
The dealer I am working with on the Stainless Daytona puts you through a brief interview, you have to make verbal promises to not flip, and sign a document that you can only buy one Daytona from that chain. The interview is nothing special they just want to weed out people who jeopardize their agreements with Rolex. I think what has me on the short list is they got me an SD43 when they were very hard to get and every-time I walk in the store I have it on.
tjfslaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 12:25 AM   #19
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

If the stuff that's happening over here to combat scalpers - retained warranty cards, stickerless watches and the like - ends up crossing the pond, remember who to thank.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 12:28 AM   #20
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yup, he's being super cool with them. I wonder what their reaction would be if they found out about his flip Especially when 99% of ADs are essentially interviewing potential purchasers to try and ensure this doesn't happen.
Yikes...didn't see that.

Good catch.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 12:29 AM   #21
T01
"TRF" Member

Congrats!
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 12:31 AM   #22
shirtshirt
"TRF" Member

Agree with all that’s been said about new memebers flipping. Using this forum in that way ignores what makes it great.
shirtshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 12:45 AM   #23
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
What kind of WIS posts an incoming thread for a watch that is then turnaround and sold. Why did you even put your name on the list? Was the OF Daytona more than you were willing to spend and using the SS Daytona C to soften the blow? Unless you had a talk with the wife when you got home and she said you couldn't keep 2 watches, i see not defendable. May be why you had no luck at Bernie Robbins, Benari, Govberg, Murphy's among others in your area. They want these watches to go to those that appreciate them. Weak.

You really think someone will pay you $18k USD at the premium with only 8 posts?!
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 12:48 AM   #24
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Shame of it all

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 12:50 AM   #25
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
Quote:

Edit: I was just giving insight, but honestly, prob wouldn't be perceived well.

Bottom line, this thread at best is slimy and worst is scammy.
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 12:50 AM   #26
tng11
"TRF" Member

The plot thickens too... He couldn't sell this at $18,000, so he decides to create a new ad to jack up the price to $18,995.
Old 19 June 2018, 12:55 AM   #27
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesteak View Post
My thoughts exactly!

I'll actually elaborate too. I started on a mission to buy a Daytona 9 months ago, I love watches and wanted to add to my collection. I started buying stuff that I didn't want, but knew I could get rid of for minimal losses from some ADs, it's capital/time intensive, but figured if this is the game they want to play, I'll play to the best of my abilities.

Now I get calls fairly frequently for hot watches, which I'll roll profits into free watches for myself. I don't consider it profiteering, I consider watches a hobby and this is the best way for me to play the game as it was designed by the market. People can disagree with that, but I think it is a very fair statement. I look it at as one of three things can happen:

I can do this and wear free watches (although there is absolutely capital and time involved)

or

I can wait patiently and hope to get the call

or

I can pay a premium.

The choice is obvious for me, but this thread really annoys me, and here is why:

It feels at worst case as scammy and best case as slimy.
I can respect that Matt, and your candidness in admitting your motives, even though others may not view it so well. The problem I have is with people who act all excited about getting a piece when they had no intention of wearing it at all and were solely interested in making a quick buck.

I am willing to admit that I've played along with this game if the ADs are going to play games too and the market remains as lopsided as it is now (my AD screwed me, so I had zero qualms of clearing out the SS pieces I bought from them.)
Old 19 June 2018, 12:55 AM   #28
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Nice, congrats..
Old 19 June 2018, 12:58 AM   #29
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T01 View Post
Congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapegoat View Post
Nice one and enjoy your watch sir
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
Nice, congrats..
It's as if some people don't read past the first post.
Old 19 June 2018, 12:59 AM   #30
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
I can respect that Matt, and your candidness in admitting your motives, even though others may not view it so well. The problem I have is with people who act all excited about getting a piece when they had no intention of wearing it at all and were solely interested in making a quick buck.

I am willing to admit that I've played along with this game if the ADs are going to play games too and the market remains as lopsided as it is now (my AD screwed me, so I had zero qualms of clearing out the SS pieces I bought from them.)
Exactly. So in this context, he essentially posted that he was excited to make $6k. That's what the incoming amounts to at this point. It also, doesn't seem quite transparent to only have 8 posts, post in this manner and quickly then try to post a sale item without any history. Seems like a scam waiting to happen. I hope I'm wrong there, but reason trusted sellers can sell at premiums is because of their reputation/brand.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote