The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 10 April 2020, 02:03 AM   #1
srleadjb
"TRF" Member

I almost bought a watch from a hacked account - warning

Last week I was looking at purchasing a watch from a member who has a long standing account here along with “who’s/who” references. I did what I would say is basic due diligence before contacting the seller. I even reached out to a friend to look at the watch photo’s to ensure the watch looked real.

I contacted the seller and we went back and forth regarding price via the email in the ad. I was about to buy when something told me to take a closer look. I further examined the ad and saw that his email was in fact the sellers actual full name, which seemed legit. I went to his previous sales posts and verified it was the same email and I also noticed that in his previous ads he was selling the same brand I was looking to buy now, which also added to the legit feeling. I did notice, however, that he had previously listed a phone number but on the latest ad there wasn’t. Not a huge red flag as maybe he didn’t enjoy getting his phone blown up on the last sale?

I then looked at some of the members past posts where he had indicated where he lived. When I asked the supposed member I was dealing with, he gave me a different state. Again, not a deal breaker as the post was old and people do move.

I did some googling / facebooking and found someone by the members name but not in the same state as he had claimed....Hmmm. I was starting to feel uneasy but was fighting myself because I wanted the watch and it was the right price.

I decided to wait and wasn’t going to buy thinking maybe it was just a sign not to buy during this pandemic. About two days later, I received an email from the seller saying he really needed the money (due to the crisis) and he would reduce the price even more. Now I felt bad and he had sucked me back in....

I went back to the ad and was looking at the watch photo’s trying to make up my mind when all of a sudden I noticed something. The email I had been exchanging with was the same name, same gmail but instead of two “l” in the last name, as in the older sales post, there was only one! It sounds like an obvious see but without giving the members name, let me just say, it wasn’t obvious until I actually saw it.

I went back to the members old ad and text the phone number he had previously listed asking if he had anything for sale now. I’m sure he thought I was trying some kind of scam on him when he got my text but he did respond and It turned out he didn’t have anything for sale!

Someone had hacked his account and posted an ad just like he had on two previous occasions. The only difference was one letter in the long email, that happened to be the sellers name, that at a glance was unnoticeable.

When I read this back to myself, it should have been more obvious but it wasn’t. And that’s coming from a life long pessimist.

I guess the point is to check every ad with a fine tooth comb. There tends to be a feeling of trust on here (at least for me), especially if the member has a long standing history and references but that is only good if you can be sure who you’re actually dealing with. Don’t be afraid to ask lots of questions and don’t be offended when other do.

Luckily I dodged a bullet and my hope is this might help someone else do the same.

Be safe and healthy out there!

PS - The fraudulent seller is still emailing me about buying even after the real account holder posted on the ad it was a fraud! I told him I had a friend who lived near him that would meet him at the police station to pay cash but for some reason I have not heard back from him.

Last edited by srleadjb; 10 April 2020 at 02:11 AM.. Reason: Typo
srleadjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 02:14 AM   #2
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
I'm a little confused on why you won't give any details ??? How about a little more then - I - He - Him - His - Seller -
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 02:24 AM   #3
srleadjb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duey View Post
I'm a little confused on why you won't give any details ??? How about a little more then - I - He - Him - His - Seller -

Because it was not the account holders fault. He had nothing to do with it so why would I name him? Someone just used his account to facilitate the scam.
srleadjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 03:47 AM   #4
lx384
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srleadjb View Post

PS - The fraudulent seller is still emailing me about buying even after the real account holder posted on the ad it was a fraud! I told him I had a friend who lived near him that would meet him at the police station to pay cash but for some reason I have not heard back from him.
lol
lx384 is offline   Reply With Quote