The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 20 June 2017, 10:19 AM   #1
---rolex---
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18038
Need some help installing the retaining ring on my Submariner!

Last night I wanted to change the bezel on my 1994 Submariner 14060. I tried to pry it off with a thin knife but ended up removing the entire retaining ring and crystal. I was able to force it back closed with my hands. But this morning I noticed a speck of dust on the inside of the crystal that wasn't there before, and it would drive me mad if I didn't get it out. So I took off the retaining ring again and cleaned the crystal. But now I can't seem to get it back onto the watch, and I've been trying for hours. Do you know of a method for putting it back on without using specific watchmakers' tools? I've heard of using a PVC pipe that's just the right size can work. Any other ideas?

Thanks for helping me undo my stupid mistake!
---rolex--- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2017, 12:36 PM   #2
NKflyer
"TRF" Member

If you have a Harbor Freight store nearby, they sell a very cheap crystal press (like <$15) that will actually work for your situation. Also, you will need to source a fresh crystal gasket because it's not secure to reuse the old one. Personally, I would take it to a reputable watchmaker who probably has the new gasket in stock, has the proper crystal press tool, and can pressure test it for you afterward to ensure waterproof.
NKflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2017, 01:23 PM   #3
---rolex---
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18038
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKflyer View Post
If you have a Harbor Freight store nearby, they sell a very cheap crystal press (like <$15) that will actually work for your situation. Also, you will need to source a fresh crystal gasket because it's not secure to reuse the old one. Personally, I would take it to a reputable watchmaker who probably has the new gasket in stock, has the proper crystal press tool, and can pressure test it for you afterward to ensure waterproof.

I do actually have one not too far. Is this the press you're talking about? https://www.harborfreight.com/watch-...ies-91621.html I didn't know they sold watchmaker tools!

I'll probably take it to my watchmaker soon to get a full service and all gaskets changed because it's due for that anyway, but I just wanted to get it wearable (even if not submergible) in the meantime.
---rolex--- is offline   Reply With Quote