The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 June 2018, 03:51 PM   #1
Dima929
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233 DateJust
Icon20 Rolex DateJust Several Hours Behind

So I’m still fairly new to Rolex so pardon my ignorance but I have the following question.
I haven’t wound my watch for about 45 days (give or take), the first 30 days or so I would wear it for about 12 hours a day and it ran perfectly, I use the Watch Tracker app everyday and it lost 2.7 seconds in 30 days.
Then 2 weeks ago I would wear it about 8 hours a day and it still ran perfectly, then today on the 46th day when I put it on it was about 2 and a half maybe 3 hours slow. According to watch tracker it was still on point yesterday.
My question is should I look into this and take in to get serviced, I had it serviced when I first bought it from a pawnshop about 3-4 months ago, or was this due to not winding it and wearing it 8 hours a day (and barely at all on weekends) vs. 12-13 hours a day 7 days a week like I used to?
I wound it and set the time today and so far so good, but I’d like to know if this is normal? It’s just odd that it was on point for 45 days and then out of nowhere it was several hours slow.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated guys! Thank you for your time and responses in advance!
By the way it’s a 1981 Rolex DateJust with gold and stainless steel jubilee band and a diamond aftermarket bezel.
Again, thanks in advance!
Dima929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 07:17 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dima929 View Post
So I’m still fairly new to Rolex so pardon my ignorance but I have the following question.
I haven’t wound my watch for about 45 days (give or take), the first 30 days or so I would wear it for about 12 hours a day and it ran perfectly, I use the Watch Tracker app everyday and it lost 2.7 seconds in 30 days.
Then 2 weeks ago I would wear it about 8 hours a day and it still ran perfectly, then today on the 46th day when I put it on it was about 2 and a half maybe 3 hours slow. According to watch tracker it was still on point yesterday.
My question is should I look into this and take in to get serviced, I had it serviced when I first bought it from a pawnshop about 3-4 months ago, or was this due to not winding it and wearing it 8 hours a day (and barely at all on weekends) vs. 12-13 hours a day 7 days a week like I used to?
I wound it and set the time today and so far so good, but I’d like to know if this is normal? It’s just odd that it was on point for 45 days and then out of nowhere it was several hours slow.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated guys! Thank you for your time and responses in advance!
By the way it’s a 1981 Rolex DateJust with gold and stainless steel jubilee band and a diamond aftermarket bezel.
Again, thanks in advance!
Just because you are wearing your watch dont mean you are winding your watch its wrist activity what winds the movement.Take my advice get rid of your watch-tracker as they are not 100% accurate plus the fact they do generate [CTCS] constant time checking syndrome OCD.Give your watch a full manual wind thats 40 full crown turns clockwise only.Set time with a reliable time source any quartz clock/watch is accurate enough for this test. Then wear as normal but for 8 hours plus a day,check time once only daily against original setting watch write down the loss or gain.Do this for 7 full days then average out the loss or gain over hose 7 days for a accurate result.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 03:51 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
. . .Then 2 weeks ago I would wear it about 8 hours a day and it still ran perfectly, then today on the 46th day when I put it on it was about 2 and a half maybe 3 hours slow. According to watch tracker it was still on point yesterday.
My question is should I look into this and take in to get serviced, I had it serviced when I first bought it from a pawnshop about 3-4 months ago, . . .
Agree with Padi.

You likely were slowly using up all of the power reserve and finally it stopped. You put it on without noticing and it started up again, hence, winding it showed all to be fine.

Every self-wind watch will always slowly run down to only the amount of wind we put into it each day. For some that could be a full wind, for others it may only be a few hours.
Old 12 June 2018, 10:27 AM   #4
Dima929
"TRF" Member

Icon4 Update

Well an little update...I decided to wind it this morning when it did the same thing and was like 4 hours behind and it was very resistant so I didn’t even proceed with the wind.
My fiancé saw this and said she tried to wind it for me yesterday and she did 40 turns counter clockwise. I nearly dropped when she said this because it has to be wound clockwise. So I went to my local authorized Rolex jeweler and they said something is definitely wrong and checked it in. They said I will get it back in two weeks (maybe sooner...really hoping for sooner), so I’ll see what they say. And yes, no one is ever touching my Rolex again when it’s back to operational, I spent $5,000 on this watch and have only had it since March. Anyways I was not hard in her as she thought she was helping.
Would winding it counter clockwise break it? If so I hope the jeweler doesn’t murder me on repair costs as I just paid them $800 for parts and service back in March. I know winding it counter clockwise was a mistake on her part, but it did stop on me before she wound it on Sunday so who knows if she is even the one who jacked it up. I thought I read somewhere that Rolex has safety features In place to prevent from overwinding or winding the wrong way?
Anyways it is what it is at this point, I’ve learned to never let anyone handle my watch, but I will see what the jeweler says and will post an update once I hear back from them and pick it up.
In the meantime if anyone has any input on weather winding it counterclockwise would’ve broken the watch and if so how severe and any idea on cost or any opinions in general would be greatly appreciated in the meantime.
Again thanks everyone and I’ll keep you posted.
Old 12 June 2018, 08:12 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Well an little update...I decided to wind it this morning when it did the same thing and was like 4 hours behind and it was very resistant so I didn’t even proceed with the wind.
My fiancé saw this and said she tried to wind it for me yesterday and she did 40 turns counter clockwise. I nearly dropped when she said this because it has to be wound clockwise. So I went to my local authorized Rolex jeweler and they said something is definitely wrong and checked it in. They said I will get it back in two weeks (maybe sooner...really hoping for sooner), so I’ll see what they say. And yes, no one is ever touching my Rolex again when it’s back to operational, I spent $5,000 on this watch and have only had it since March. Anyways I was not hard in her as she thought she was helping.
Would winding it counter clockwise break it? If so I hope the jeweler doesn’t murder me on repair costs as I just paid them $800 for parts and service back in March. I know winding it counter clockwise was a mistake on her part, but it did stop on me before she wound it on Sunday so who knows if she is even the one who jacked it up. I thought I read somewhere that Rolex has safety features In place to prevent from overwinding or winding the wrong way?
Anyways it is what it is at this point, I’ve learned to never let anyone handle my watch, but I will see what the jeweler says and will post an update once I hear back from them and pick it up.
In the meantime if anyone has any input on weather winding it counterclockwise would’ve broken the watch and if so how severe and any idea on cost or any opinions in general would be greatly appreciated in the meantime.
Again thanks everyone and I’ll keep you posted.
Winding counterclockwise would have done nothing to harm the movement its possible you have a mainspring problem,or hands are lose on the hand staff.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 17 June 2018, 03:17 PM   #6
Dima929
"TRF" Member

Icon4 ****update****

So here is an update on my original post guys. As I mentioned I’m still a total noob when it comes to Rolex knowledge, so if anyone can explain in lamen terms the update I’m about to provide I’d be grateful and would really appreciate it!
As I mentioned in the original post after discovering the 3 hour time delay two days in a row and the wind crown being sticky I took in in to Reis Nichols, the authorized Rolex dealer/watchmakers that is local to me.
When I picked up the watch the sales lady did not know anything and had no explanation other than it’s all fixed and good to go. I then tried to wind and it was not as sticky as a few days ago but still harder than I remember.
She checked with the watch maker and he told her it’s totaly normal until the oil goes through the new parts in the mechanism (assuming they put new parts? ? ?).
She gave me the following aperwork for the watch and if anyone could decipher it and explain to me plain language what was wrong and what the watch tech did that’d be great, as I can then continue to build up my Rolex knowledge. See the attached docs that I got when I picked up the watch.
If anyone with with true Rolex knowledge can break it down for me I’d appreciate it. Here is the paperwork that I got back with the watch:

Attachment 959983

Attachment 959984
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4FDDE7B2-2AEB-458D-87F4-D1E0224203C2.jpeg (172.4 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpeg 5D0818E6-C092-43BB-B109-83430993633C.jpeg (228.1 KB, 158 views)
Old 17 June 2018, 11:24 PM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Looks like they replaced parts of the autowind mechanism,done a pressure check and regulated your watch.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 18 June 2018, 04:54 AM   #8
Beelzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Nice it got fixed. Now apologize to your wife, she did not jack up the watch by winding
it backwards. ;)
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 12:40 AM   #9
Dima929
"TRF" Member

Icon20 ***Update***

Thank you for you reply guys!
So they replaced parts of the self winding mechanism huh, I wonder what would have caused those to go bad? But it’s fixed now so that’s great!
I never yelled or got mad at my fiancé, I did apologize to her if I was aggravated when it broke, so no issues there. I would never be rude, mean or cruel to a loved one over a physical item, even a Rolex. Rolex’s can be replaced, people and Love cannot! So we’re all good and it was never an issue.
Since I got it back it seems to be running a little fast, I’ve attached Watch Tracker screenshots, could any professional Rolex techs out there please take a glance at the screenshots and let me know if this is normal?
And I will no longer be using th Watch Tracker app once I get an answer to the question above, because as a previous poster mentioned I don’t want to be an OCD Watch Tracker guy. I just want to enjoy my beautiful time piece!
As always thank you for everyone’s replies and thank you in advance to any future replies! I really hope the screenshots from Watch Tracker are normal so I can delete that darn an app and just enjoy my Rolex.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A34DC667-39A2-4E30-8367-7718A98EA4A5.jpeg (88.4 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpeg 1BB81BC4-206F-4536-B568-AB7E628A91D3.jpeg (103.2 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpeg 4703D27F-1D50-47D5-8B84-5ADA456E118F.jpeg (99.3 KB, 103 views)
Old 20 June 2018, 01:30 AM   #10
Frank80
"TRF" Member

Watch: u talkin' bout
Many factors can make a watch run quick. Temperature, position, time on wrist, and even the mainspring getting to the end of its wind. When regulation is performed it's done on a machine which can't account for all real life situations. I'd set the watch to a constant source, wear for at least 5 days, then divide to find out your average daily variation. If it's faster or slower than you want, then have it regulated again after telling them your deviation experience while wearing.
Frank80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 06:50 PM   #11
RolexWombat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on the day
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Take my advice get rid of your watch-tracker as they are not 100% accurate plus the fact they do generate [CTCS] constant time checking syndrome OCD.Give your watch a full manual wind thats 40 full crown turns clockwise only.Set time with a reliable time source any quartz clock/watch is accurate enough for this test. Then wear as normal but for 8 hours plus a day,check time once only daily against original setting watch write down the loss or gain.

Yet you describe exactly what the WatchTracker app does! (And how to use it). Too funny.
RolexWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 07:10 PM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexWombat View Post
Yet you describe exactly what the WatchTracker app does! (And how to use it). Too funny.
No the test I described is a once only test and whats funny are those who check constantly with these so called timing apps some every hour of the day like above.Afraid once caught the {CCTS}with these phone apps it starts to take away the pleasure of wearing and owning a Rolex watch.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 20 June 2018, 07:17 PM   #13
RolexWombat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
No the test I described is a once only test and whats funny are those who check constantly with these so called timing apps.

WatchTracker (which the OP mentions) is a specific app that doesn’t use the microphone to try and measure the rate instantly but instead helps you do exactly what you describe (and it’s useless to try and use it more than once a day (unless the watch runs extremely fast or slow) because you can’t be that accurate looking at the seconds hand and tapping on the phone). Maybe you should take a look at it...
Old 20 June 2018, 07:26 PM   #14
RolexWombat
"TRF" Member

And to the OP, no problem using WatchTracker but it’s a bit useless to try and make measurements more than once (maybe twice) a day and your run has to be over a period of a few days at least before you get an accurate measurement.

My advice is do a measurement before you put the watch on in the morning and another one before taking it off at night. And while doing a measurement run make sure you put the watch in the same resting position every night!
Old 20 June 2018, 07:48 PM   #15
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Hi D,

As has been said, wear it in your normal weekly pattern and check it with WatchTracker once a week.
WatchTracker will give you the daily gain/loss.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote