The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 September 2018, 08:18 AM   #1
sethwick
"TRF" Member

JLC Deep Sea Vs. AP Royal Oak Diver

So I've been thinking about getting a diver to be a daily driver for me..
Something sturdy, waterproof, legible, comfortable...and I prefer straps/rubber to bracelets

My local AP AD doesn't have any divers to try on, and since the JLC is out of production, trying it on is also going to be difficult.. so I guess I'm here just looking for opinions.

Obviously they're both great watches with great movements and history...i guess the AP is just bulkier, more expensive, and more flashy

..while the JLC is more under the radar, not as common as a sub, has the unique red/white chrono complication...

Anyone have experience with these two?
sethwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 08:33 AM   #2
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

EDIT (read past the part where you said the deep sea chrono).

But, Look into the JLC Tribute to deep sea alarm from 2011.

I own the European dial variant (I’ve tried on the US dial as well).

I’ve said this on a number of occasions, but I absolutely love mine. The case proportions are just right at 40.5mm. They did a fantastic job paying tribute to the original look. It looks awesome on a number of strap options. They have a plexiglass crystal instead of sapphire (true to the originals), which gives it a warmth as opposed to the hard, cold sapphire feel. The alarm function is unique and obviously not something you see everyday. Amongst the sea of submariners and ROs, It’s a truly unique watch (less than 1,300 made between the two dial variants). Anyway, I could go on and on, but I highly recommend it if you can source one.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 08:39 AM   #3
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Also, to throw it out there, look at the originator of the modern dive watch...Blancpain.

Try out the Blancpain bathyscaphe (43 or 38mm depending upon your preference).

The fifty fathoms tribute to milspec was a 2017 limited run of 500. Awesome piece with amazing execution and attention to detail (they might still be trickling out of boutiques, so you might be able to snag one of the last ones).

Slightly harder to obtain, the fifty fathoms ocean commitment (BOC iii) was released this year, 250 limited run. Same case and movement as the milspec, but blue dial and bezel. Also 1,000 CHF is donated to supporting the preservations of our oceans, so the good cause is an added bonus.

Anyway, couple of good options that are very highly executed and rare, as you will likely never run into anyone with either of the milspec or BOC iii.

Old 17 September 2018, 07:58 PM   #4
Veeck
"TRF" Member

I owned both AP CE diver and the JLC DSC cermet. Love the look of the AP although the rubber strap is a bit stiffer than the ROO chrono version. My verdict is JLC is more wearable due to the lightness of the cermet titanium case and literally indestructible as you don’5 have to worry about cracking if you accidentally hit it. It looks more elegant and will grows on you but would not gives you the wrist presence AP provides.
Veeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 08:30 PM   #5
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
EDIT (read past the part where you said the deep sea chrono).

But, Look into the JLC Tribute to deep sea alarm from 2011.

I own the European dial variant (I’ve tried on the US dial as well).

I’ve said this on a number of occasions, but I absolutely love mine. The case proportions are just right at 40.5mm. They did a fantastic job paying tribute to the original look. It looks awesome on a number of strap options. They have a plexiglass crystal instead of sapphire (true to the originals), which gives it a warmth as opposed to the hard, cold sapphire feel. The alarm function is unique and obviously not something you see everyday. Amongst the sea of submariners and ROs, It’s a truly unique watch (less than 1,300 made between the two dial variants). Anyway, I could go on and on, but I highly recommend it if you can source one.
Nice watch indeed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 500937-f322d5fb8b55e49350533d45c3443b2a.jpg (140.5 KB, 342 views)
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 09:02 AM   #6
sethwick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Slightly harder to obtain, the fifty fathoms ocean commitment (BOC iii) was released this year, 250 limited run. Same case and movement as the milspec, but blue dial and bezel. Also 1,000 CHF is donated to supporting the preservations of our oceans, so the good cause is an added bonus.

That BOCiii is pretty awesome, I'd never heard of that one.
The MIL-spec is also cool, but the dot at 6 being essentially useless doesnt win any points from me..

I'll start searching for someone in LA with a JLC for me to try on!
Old 18 September 2018, 09:56 PM   #7
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

I own the JLC Deep Sea Chrono and I have owned the A/P Diver. The Deep Sea is a beautiful vintage style watch without the faux patina. In many ways it's exactly what purists claim they want in a chronograph: no date, no screw down pushers, not oversized, good legibility. I like the quirky red running/not running indicator.
I owned and sold the A/P Diver. Too big for me and there are lots of other Royal Oaks I like better. The internal rotating bezel is not convenient to use.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 03:48 AM   #8
sethwick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
I own the JLC Deep Sea Chrono and I have owned the A/P Diver. The Deep Sea is a beautiful vintage style watch without the faux patina. In many ways it's exactly what purists claim they want in a chronograph: no date, no screw down pushers, not oversized, good legibility. I like the quirky red running/not running indicator.
I owned and sold the A/P Diver. Too big for me and there are lots of other Royal Oaks I like better. The internal rotating bezel is not convenient to use.
This is essentially what I was thinking... and I love the dial of that JLC.
appreciate the feedback.
Old 21 September 2018, 11:31 AM   #9
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

I’ve had both of them, and loved them both. They’re quite different on the wrist. The JLC is more thin and traditional looking, while the Diver is...well, an AP Offshore.

I really loved the JLC. The only reason I sold it was because I bought another AP, but in retrospect I wish I’d kept the Deepsea Chrono. It was super comfortable, it was suitable for all occasions, it was just awesome.

Pics, to beautify this thread...

DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 12:12 PM   #10
MT_Timepieces
Banned

Jc is nice and so is AP

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
MT_Timepieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 06:08 AM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I have owned the AP Diver, JLC Navy Seals and BP FF, all are very nice watches but the AP wins out for me, even with the more delicate bezel.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2018, 02:49 AM   #12
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I have owned the AP Diver, JLC Navy Seals and BP FF, all are very nice watches but the AP wins out for me, even with the more delicate bezel.
Even over the Fifty Fathoms? That's a beautiful watch, finish quality like a Bentley, five day power reserve, and difficult to scratch. What do you like better about the AP? Just curious.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2018, 10:09 AM   #13
RXAPPP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5
JLC Deepsea Alarm - asthetically one of the most stunning divers out there and an appreciating asset to boot!
RXAPPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 10:11 AM   #14
Burlington
"TRF" Member

I also considered the same JLC a while back before setting eyes on the AP diver, it’s a lovely watch but didn’t grab me in the same way as the 15710.

Wear it pretty much daily, and after a year still enjoy strapping it on each morning as much as the first time.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 06:33 AM   #15
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Even over the Fifty Fathoms? That's a beautiful watch, finish quality like a Bentley, five day power reserve, and difficult to scratch. What do you like better about the AP? Just curious.
I do have a soft spot for the Diver and love the black tapisserie dial against the sleek brushed bezel, the strap is also firm yet smooth. FF's crystal bezel is stunning but as it's quite a large watch it can look a bit bloated at times, esp on the slim sailcloth. Best on a bracelet imho, like a souped up subc!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 07:02 AM   #16
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I do have a soft spot for the Diver and love the black tapisserie dial against the sleek brushed bezel, the strap is also firm yet smooth. FF's crystal bezel is stunning but as it's quite a large watch it can look a bit bloated at times, esp on the slim sailcloth. Best on a bracelet imho, like a souped up subc!
Agree. That's why you have to go for the 40mm special editions. All the benefits of the FF with a manageable size.

Definitely would like an AP though at some point.

Old 25 September 2018, 05:53 PM   #17
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
The Diver was a must have watch for me, when launched, I had it for about 9 months before selling it.... I had my Fifty Fathoms at the same time and I have some side by side pics somewhere.
Although the official measurements suggest the Fifty is bigger, I found the vertically lug-less case of the Diver made it feel and look bigger ( more slabby ?) on my wrist, whereas the more rounded case of the Fifty with it's tapering profile, looked more elegant.

Between the Diver and the JLC, I prefer the clean looks of the latter, but as always, follow your own heart...
Old 25 September 2018, 07:37 PM   #18
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

the AP diver is great, i enjoyed it a lot when i owned it. I like JLC a lot as a brand, but not drawn to to their divers. I would get a 50 fathoms before a JLC deep sea, but would still get the AP ahead of both.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote