The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 30 September 2012, 07:44 AM   #1
watchstuff
"TRF" Member

Advice on which MontBlanc 149, Le Grand or Starwalker?

Hi All,

Was in the local penshop today and looking for a good fountain pen. At the moment have narrowed it to the following 3 Mont Blancs:
1. Meisterstuck 149
2. Meisterstuck Le Grand
3. Starwalker

The le grand seems to be the most comfortable, love the starwalker floating emblem, the 149 seems to be the classic. I tried the "classique" but found it uncomfortable. Anyone able to give their advice?

Also any online dealers in the UK?

Thanks for your insight.
Cheers.
watchstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
When it comes to fine writing instruments everyone has their own favorites and which brand and model to get as well. I happen to like and use MontBlanc fountain pens myself and really like them as lot. The #149 is a classic fountain pen and always on everyone's want list. But I prefer the smaller sizes and nibs(XF, Accountant and Needle nibs) as well. When you were in your local pen shop did you check out the different nib sizes and see how they write and what kind of stroke they make. Each nib size is different and if you do not get the one(s) you like you will never be happy with using your fountain pen. so always go and check out the pens you are interested in and then find a seller online and save a litlle cash. Also I would get the fountain pens which can either take a cartridge or a converter. Or just the ones which use a converter because the converter takes and holds more bottled ink and more colors are available to choose from. And then while you are there check out the different bottled inks available because there is a wide selection of colors you can choose from. Anyway if I remember correctly, the Starwalker only uses cartridges but there are many different styles to choose from. As for my favorites just check out the ones listed in my signature as they are my favorites but not my only ones. And then you have the Limited Editions to check out as they are all Exquisite and fun to use but can get pricy. I live in the States so I do not know of dealers in the UK but a good one here in America is The Fountain Pen Hospital(www.fountainpenhospital.com) located in New York City, New york. If I remember correctly they will sell and ship across the pond and their prices are usually a bit under suggested retail. But be forewarned, owning, writing and using fountain pens is addictive and like everything else(like watches and any other collectible)you will never be able to stop at just one.....and also once you start using a fountain pen there is never going back you will be hooked and ruined(or enlightened) for life!!!
Good luck in your search and above all else...enjoy.....
Take it easy.....Leo

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2012, 07:04 AM   #3
watchstuff
"TRF" Member

Thanks Leo for your insight, the shop was well stocked and had all the nib sizes to try out. I was looking at fine or extrafine for day to day use, but thinking about it I may go for the oblique medium OM for those special occasions. Thanks for the tip about the convertor. Have also picked up some MontBlanc literature and as you say there are some very nice looking ltd edition runs. Thanks will definately check out fountainpenhospital.

Cheers.
watchstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2012, 09:00 AM   #4
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
watchstuff, you are welcome and the nib size really makes a difference so always get the one you want and will use. The two MontBlanc's I carry and use everyday both have extra fine nibs. And if they produced fountain pens with Needle nibs I would definitely go for those. Also check out Vintage FP's as back in the 1920's and 1930's the manufacturers produced 14K nibs which were flexible and they are really a lot of fun to use!!!
Take it easy.....Leo

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2012, 09:20 PM   #5
purcellj
"TRF" Member

The Le Grand 146 is a better size for me. The 149 is too big, and the Starwalker is not my style.

There are many other good brands around: Pelikan, Conway Stewart, etc.

Lion gave you great info on nibs and FPH.
purcellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2012, 04:22 PM   #6
xywatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yacht-Master SS/PT
I have MontBlancs 149 and I had bought it from www.FountainPenHospital.com 3 years ago. The common problem and complaints among the users about this pen were that it leaks an ink (I don't know about other pens you have mentioned). The ink was all the time on my fingers when I was using 149. I send it to Mr. Masuyama, celebrated fountain pens Master to fix it. Also, I wanted to resize my nib to Italic. He fixed leaking by applying white isolation plastic tape inside the pen (the same one which hydraulics use it to fix your faucet). It works even after 3 years of using. Otherwise, I love this pen for its history, classic timeless look. But lets face it people buying 149 rather for prestige than usefulness.
xywatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2012, 11:05 AM   #7
trigger643
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xywatch View Post
...But lets face it people buying 149 rather for prestige than usefulness.
I beg to differ. I have used a 149 every day for nearly 25 years. I am most attracted to the balance and even ink flow. The large reservoir usually lasts the entire day.

I began using fountain pens in middle school, when I discovered they didn't stain the outside edge of my hand as does a ball point or pencil (I am left handed and write with the 'left handed hook'). I have found the 149 to be the most practical fountain pen I have ever owned and it remains my favorite.
trigger643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2012, 07:15 PM   #8
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchstuff View Post
Also any online dealers in the UK?
I know of The Writing Desk - http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/index.php
but not sure if they stock MB. I've used them for inks and paper.

In Europe I have used Appelboom in the Netherlands - http://www.appelboompennen.nl/
I would recommend Appelboom 100%.
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2012, 08:26 PM   #9
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
149 AND 146 Different character.B or BB nib I have both
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote