The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 2 August 2013, 03:47 PM   #1
rusty-schackelford
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Heuer
Icon7 looking to expand pen collection

I currently have a beautiful Parker model 51 in dove grey with sterling cap from 1942 that i got an amazing deal on... 1 dollar at a garage sale junk bin ..and i love writing with this pen except for two things one i am scared to death ill loose it or more likely damage it somehow given that it is like 60 plus years old. Also FP's dont work good on carbon copies and they wont write on some surfaces like plastic stick on sheets at work so i was wondering what everyone thinks is a good pen in the 60 to 140 dollar range i have seen some mont blancs go in that range and would love to have one but no idea what model to really start looking at. mostly a ballpoint for practical purposes...but if someone had a great deal on another fountain pen i might bite and buy 2 pen... would love to hear everyone's suggestions!
rusty-schackelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2013, 05:24 PM   #2
SUBversive
Banned

Watch: Sun Dial
As many have said on other threads here its really important to get to a pen store and just try pens out. I've heard that advice and done it but it was only recently when I went to a pen show and was able to try about 10 to 15 different fp nibs did I really get that advice and now i have a fp that i actually keep using because i love the way the nib feels. There are so many brands out there. Everyone has a favorite.
SUBversive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2013, 09:52 PM   #3
pberry

You might try a nice rollerball for your every day carry. They will write on your carbons but may still give you problems on your plastic sheets. I carry a hand made pen that will accept a Schmidt, MB, or I found a fine tipped felt that will go in it for writing on pictures.
pberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2013, 10:08 PM   #4
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
If you're looking for a ballpoint or rollerball, it really comes down to personal preference. They all use cartridges so there's no real benefit to one over another. My favorite is the homo sapiens line from Visconti. It's my go-to at work.
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2013, 12:51 AM   #5
68camaro
"TRF" Member

I have a Cross gel type rollerball that works great. It pretty much takes back seat to my FP's but when I fly it's always with me.

Like others said, you really need to try out different one's to see which you prefer.
68camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2013, 09:59 PM   #6
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
As SUBversive, stated, you best course of action is to go to a Pen Store and check put different manufacturers of all types of pens. I prefer to use gold nib FP's. And then if I do have to write and press through a document, contract or carbon copies I prefer to use Rollerballs over Ballpoint pens.....also remember since you do enjoy Fountain Pens never loan them out for someone else to use. Because most people press down applying pressure when they write(Think Ballpoint Pens)and this can over time damage your nibs(I carry a Rollerball just so I can give it to others when they need to use a pen). Remember...Fountain Pens with nibs...the ink flows and the pen glides along the paper with little effort.....

With you living in Naperville, there is a pen store called Paradise Pens and they are located in the Oak Brook Shopping Center. They have all makes and styles in all price ranges and they would be a great place to get started. Their Phone Number# is (630) 990-4249. They also have a Website:( www.paradisepen.com )and also carry accessories. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable and they do at times run specials and sales.....

MontBlanc has a boutique on the "Mag Mile" and you can always go there to "Test Drive" the different size nibs(then you can go elsewhere whether another Pen Store or online). They only have Sales twice a year(otherwise they do not discount off of List) but it's fun going there to drool over the Limited Editions...of all types. Also my recommendation is no matter what brand you decide to purchase when it comes to Fountain pens, make certain if the pen is not a Piston Fill or another method. Buy a FP which can use Convertors/Cartridges. Convertors hold more ink over Cartridges plus bottled ink comes in most all colors and from different manufacturers. They are not messy to fill, when done properly and I really like having choices in ink colors to choose from. Right now I am carrying and using to MontBlanc FP's, one has Oyster Gray ink and the other has Bordeaux.....

Also once you know which Nib Size(s)you prefer there is a company in New York City called The Fountain Pen Hospital which is a great company to do business with. On many new pens, of all styles, they usually can give you some type of discount.....the Staff are knowledgeable and they also carry and sell Vintage Pens, and also used pens. And they do have Sales more often then their competitors. Their Phone Number is# (800) 253-7367 and their Website is ( www.FountainPenHospital.com ).....

There are many other online stores and also men and women who repair pens and nibs and can change the nib in your FP's if you need repairs or do not care how they write. So spend some time playing around on the Internet and there is one Pen Show here in the Chicago Area each year. But it is usually scheduled at the beginning of May so Happy hunting and Enjoy!!!

Take it easy.....Leo

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2013, 01:38 PM   #7
SUBversive
Banned

Hi Leo. Wondering why you don't care for piston fill?
Old 17 August 2013, 09:34 PM   #8
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBversive View Post
Hi Leo. Wondering why you don't care for piston fill?
No, actually I like all styles and methods for holding ink which are used for Fountain pens. As I am hopelessly hooked on Fountain Pens never to go back to any other style as my 'Daily Writers'.....but will use others...if I have to!!!

Whether Piston Fill, Sacs or others I like them all. I have Vintage pens from the 1930's and 1940's and such and back then they did not have Converters. I also have the cheap Cartridge-Fill FP's which were used back in Grade Schools. But today the Converters are easy to used, less work for me to clean them out to change ink colors/General Maintenance. I have very small hands and I like the smaller sized Fountain Pens. So a pen like the MontBlanc #149 is not comfortable in my hands and for me too big...period. But now if I was gifted one of them I would surely use it with pleasure but first it would go back to MontBlanc to switch out the Nib to a smaller size like Extra-Fine.....

Take care and 'Keep on Truckin'.....Leo

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 02:00 PM   #9
SUBversive
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion View Post
No, actually I like all styles and methods for holding ink which are used for Fountain pens. As I am hopelessly hooked on Fountain Pens never to go back to any other style as my 'Daily Writers'.....but will use others...if I have to!!!

Whether Piston Fill, Sacs or others I like them all. I have Vintage pens from the 1930's and 1940's and such and back then they did not have Converters. I also have the cheap Cartridge-Fill FP's which were used back in Grade Schools. But today the Converters are easy to used, less work for me to clean them out to change ink colors/General Maintenance. I have very small hands and I like the smaller sized Fountain Pens. So a pen like the MontBlanc #149 is not comfortable in my hands and for me too big...period. But now if I was gifted one of them I would surely use it with pleasure but first it would go back to MontBlanc to switch out the Nib to a smaller size like Extra-Fine.....

Take care and 'Keep on Truckin'.....Leo
I've been getting a lot of miles out of my new fp with converter. I think I should clean it but I'm just going with the flow.
Old 2 January 2014, 12:54 PM   #10
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

I have a Visconti Rollerball in the sales forum that I am looking to move. Well balanced, well maintained, and would be a good addition to a collection.