The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

View Poll Results: Do you yearn/aspire to own higher end brands (Patek, RM, Lange, AP, etc)?
I own Rolex, and yearn/aspire to own pieces higher end than Rolex. 146 29.49%
I own Rolex, but could not care less for the higher end brands. 178 35.96%
I own both Rolex and higher end brands. 163 32.93%
I own neither Rolex nor the higher end brands. 8 1.62%
Voters: 495. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14 September 2018, 10:10 AM   #1
SubMarine
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16610
Do Rolex owners (secretly) yearn to own higher end brands: Patek, RM, Lange, AP, etc?

It's no secret that Rolex owners are some of the most closely-knit, accomplished, and diverse group of people relative to collectors from other brands. Most of us come from all walks of life and have achieved a certain degree of success in life that we're proud of.

However, as we all well know, Rolex is but an upper mid-tier brand in terms of the overall totem pole of horology. I'm curious how many of us owners aspire to own a Patek Philippe, AP, Lange, or Richard Mille one day. Many of these higher-end pieces cost many multiples the price of your average Rolex. In other words, as a watch collector, do your ambitions encompass the ultimate pinnacle of horology, or are you content with Rolex?

Do you wear Rolex because you are relegated to Rolex as the best of your currently available options due to financial limitations?

On the other hand, it would also be interesting to know how many Rolex owners already own examples of these higher end haute horology pieces.
SubMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 10:12 AM   #2
rolexinfl
"TRF" Member

Personal preference, I guess. I don't.

I aspired for a Rolex for my reasons, and I dont have those same reasons for any other brands.
rolexinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 10:12 AM   #3
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Some might, some might not. I have no desire to own a watch from the brands you mention. Don't care for them.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 10:20 AM   #4
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB, 126610…..
Rolex is my only interest when it comes to watches. I don’t long for AP or Patek. (Or any other brand for that matter)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
s7horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 10:24 AM   #5
Oceanblue
"TRF" Member

I've owned both for different reasons. In the end what draws me to Rolex are their workhorse movements, value, and a plethora of good watchmakers who all service Rolex.
Oceanblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 10:26 AM   #6
jagwap
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC IW389001
I have Rolex, and others. Rolex is just another good brand.

There are one or two Pateks I would enjoy, but not enough to get in line. The others listed do nothing for me, but my tastes evolve it seems.

IWC, Jeager, Nomos attract me more now.
jagwap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 10:26 AM   #7
JCZ5
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Do Rolex owners (secretly) yearn to own higher end brands: Patek, RM, Lange, AP, etc?

I have “higher” brands (AP, PP, FPJ) in my collection and sure they’re great and I love them. But I always gravitate and pick up my Rolexes more often than the others.

Why?

Because they are so easy to wear and bulletproof. For example, my 15202 feels too delicate sometimes, but never a problem with my Skydweller. The SkyD it fits in a variety of situations where I only want to bring one watch. There is a reason Rolex is beloved by everyone. And I can absolutely see myself picking up more Rolex than the “higher” brands

JCZ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 10:30 AM   #8
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270/116710BLNR
It's no secret that I would love to have a Nautilus and a Lange.
Old 14 September 2018, 10:31 AM   #9
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Oh, come on, of course we do. Just because I love hamburgers doesn't mean I don't also want pizza.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 10:32 AM   #10
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

I only have rolex. So far it delivered all that I look for in a watch.... when available!!
Old 14 September 2018, 10:43 AM   #11
westsideclock
"TRF" Member

I think there should be a choice like own Rolex and would consider other brands.
westsideclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 10:47 AM   #12
imgook
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Reading the 4 options, don't fall into any of them. Words like yearn, aspire and couldn't care less are definitely way to aggressive for most to relate to.
imgook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 10:47 AM   #13
coralfarmer84
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
This is a hard poll for me to answer. I currently have one patek and really admire a few other models patek makes as well as the openworked AP's. I don't have them yet but hope to acquire with time so I guess I fall into the yearn category. So I'll go that route. But I don't want them to replace my rolex, more of in addition too. I think Rolex makes the best overall watch for my taste and needs, but some of the complications and looks of patek and AP are undeniably special. I'll vote yearn
Old 14 September 2018, 10:47 AM   #14
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Not really. If I wanted a PP, I would already own one. Rolex is a robust watch and why I would classify it a “higher end” watch for my life style than the other boutique brands that tend to be fussy in comparison. In my conservative world of finance and saving, if you can afford a luxury purchase of a $15k Rolex, you should just as easily be able to afford a $30k watch. I am not sure money has anything to do with deciding a luxury watch purchase. There is a reason why super wealthy still choose to wear Rolex over those other brands that have a more exclusive horological reputation.
Old 14 September 2018, 10:48 AM   #15
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
My option wasn’t available....*Have previously owned others, but no longer*
I’ve owned most of the upper/higher end brands, much more expensive pieces, etc....Rolex was what I grew up knowing and admiring. My dad always had one I admired, and Rolex is like “comfort food” for me. The others just didn’t feel like home to me. I suppose lifestyle has something to do with it as well, but Rolex, be it SS, WG, Platinum, etc...is just what I like the most, what aesthetically pleases me most, and am most comfortable wearing
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 10:49 AM   #16
SFBAY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
Oh, come on, of course we do. Just because I love hamburgers doesn't mean I don't also want pizza.
Speak for yourself. I have zero desire to wear a watch other than Rolex. I find zero appeal to the more expensive brands.
SFBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 10:50 AM   #17
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Of the watch brands I own (AP, PP, Panerai, Omega, and Rolex), Rolex watches are my favorite. They are all beautifully built with excellent style, but I have always felt the Rolex watches are more more durable and robust.
Old 14 September 2018, 10:54 AM   #18
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
i have zero interest in RM, almost no interest in Lange, I've owned and would love to own several AP, never owned PP but would give to own several of their watches.

It has nothing to do with what's "high end", it's just what i like. there are even more omegas, JLCs, IWCs and so on that I'd like to get one day.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 10:58 AM   #19
replicator
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP
Most that can afford Rolex can afford the higher end brands, exception being RM which is in a totally different class (and taste) and some PP.

I like wearing my watches daily - don’t want to have to leave them in a bank vault or baby them. Hence Rolex fits the bill best - quality and heritage, built like a tank, sporty, and timeless styling.
replicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 10:59 AM   #20
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Why would it be a secret?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 10:59 AM   #21
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
I chose none of your options. I have Rolex, Omega, IWC. Would I like to to have a Patek one day? Sure. Will I feel incomplete if I never have one? Nope. I don't care for AP. More expensive does not necessarily mean "higher end". IMO Hublot is undesirable (crap) and I'd never wear one, not to mention buy one, and they are far more expensive than a Rolex. Same for Richard Millie's. There are other lower end brands I'd buy which are more interesting, and has nothing to money. Grand Seiko to name one. But again I can't say a GS is a lower end brand than Rolex despite the cost difference, GS's are exceptional watches. For some reason really difficult to find in Houston...
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 11:06 AM   #22
debbs20
"TRF" Member

I own a Rolex and i'm satisfied by it so i don't think there is a need to look else where.
debbs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 11:07 AM   #23
SubMarine
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Some people don't want to admit that they cannot afford the higher end pieces.
SubMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 11:19 AM   #24
GentleMonster
"TRF" Member

My generation and the one before me grew up recognising Rolex only. The egnima the brand portrays is second to none.
I love my Rolex but there’s only “so much” I can acquire. I do like to once in awhile venture at other brand. AP is one such brand.
That said, I would admit that Rolex feels most comfy on the wrist. You know it’s robust and wouldn’t feel much of a heartache when it gets knock :)
GentleMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 11:25 AM   #25
oroloi
"TRF" Member

Watch: YachtMaster 116621
Even within the Rolex world I don’t desire to have the most expensive or the most popular. I just choose what I like. Maybe one day I will have a DD and that’s because I like it. I like the Nautilus but have no interest in waiting lists and all that garbage these days with the popular watches.

Right now at work I’m wearing my Apple Watch
oroloi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 11:28 AM   #26
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Out of the brands you mention, A. Lange would be the only other I would consider. AP and PP do nothing for me at all. Sport watches (i.e. rolex) tends to suit my style in general. While I can appreciate a PP calatrava, I would get bored of it in a week. Also, I find my Rolexes to be far more versatile (i.e. can be worn with a suit or with jeans) and as others mentioned can take any punishment I can dish out.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 11:31 AM   #27
frankfrazetta
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubMarine View Post
It's no secret that Rolex owners are some of the most closely-knit, accomplished, and diverse group of people relative to collectors from other brands. Most of us come from all walks of life and have achieved a certain degree of success in life that we're proud of.

However, as we all well know, Rolex is but an upper mid-tier brand in terms of the overall totem pole of horology. I'm curious how many of us owners aspire to own a Patek Philippe, AP, Lange, or Richard Mille one day. Many of these higher-end pieces cost many multiples the price of your average Rolex. In other words, as a watch collector, do your ambitions encompass the ultimate pinnacle of horology, or are you content with Rolex?

Do you wear Rolex because you are relegated to Rolex as the best of your currently available options due to financial limitations?

On the other hand, it would also be interesting to know how many Rolex owners already own examples of these higher end haute horology pieces.
WRONG. Rolex is the best high end brand for anyone who isn't extremely wealthy. Patek is old fashioned and pretends to be timeless. There is no such thing as timeless design. Design ALWAYS moves forward.
frankfrazetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 11:31 AM   #28
MY-WATCH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7horton View Post
Rolex is my only interest when it comes to watches. I don’t long for AP or Patek. (Or any other brand for that matter)

This
MY-WATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 11:33 AM   #29
Stew7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex
I would love a couple of the offerings from AP and PP but also have my eyes on an IWC, JLC and another Omega.

It's not so much about higher end as just simply what I would like to own. And at the moment I stick with the more affordable options based on my lifestyle.
Stew7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 11:34 AM   #30
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Oh yeah, haha, and that?
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote