The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

View Poll Results: Do you yearn/aspire to own higher end brands (Patek, RM, Lange, AP, etc)?
I own Rolex, and yearn/aspire to own pieces higher end than Rolex. 146 29.49%
I own Rolex, but could not care less for the higher end brands. 178 35.96%
I own both Rolex and higher end brands. 163 32.93%
I own neither Rolex nor the higher end brands. 8 1.62%
Voters: 495. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14 September 2018, 03:47 PM   #61
Kryptonite
"TRF" Member

I’d very much enjoy a Philippe Dufour $implicity for dress.

Other wise it’s all Rolex and G shock for riskier environments. I’m an economic outlier in the Rolex game. Shorts n T shirt bum with my Bluesy TT sub.
Kryptonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 04:11 PM   #62
Gunbucker
"TRF" Member

I own both high horology brands such as Patek Philippe and Audemars Piguet, but even after owning those, still went ahead to get the Day-Date 40 as it's such an icon! The DD40 is simply best value precious metal watch out there, period.

Rolex has always been, and always will have its place in horology filling a very well-deserved spot.
Gunbucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 04:14 PM   #63
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

I own cars worth about a million. No desire for a patek or VC or others. Styles are just too old for me.
norcalgt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 04:29 PM   #64
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I’ve primarily been wearing my APs of late, but spent the past week on a trip with my Hulk - and was reminded how great it and other Rolexes are - robust, well designed, under the radar
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 04:39 PM   #65
D O C
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710LN
There's enough inside the Rolex brand itself that I'd like to own. Why go outside?

D O C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 04:42 PM   #66
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
I'm not certain the poll accurately covers my situation.

I own Rolex watches and may well consider adding another, but i have had more.

I own other brands, including Omega(looking to add 1 more), along with Seiko(a knock around diver) and Grand Seiko(dress watch).

I'm not particularly fond of the brands mentioned in the introduction of the thread.
But i am becoming more interested in one particularly honest low volume German brand and their offerings.

In the really high end of the watch spectrum, i may certainly add a Platinum Credor at some point.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 04:52 PM   #67
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampashooter View Post
I would venture to guess that most that answered “ I have no interest in the other brands” have never had one in front of them. AP, PP and other are superb. I love my Rolex, wear them care free, but they don’t stun in the same way.
This is true and i agree completely.
However, in my circumstance and from my perspective maintenance/servicing and repair are at the top of my priority list as an essential part of the ownership experience.
To that, a lot of the high end European brands aren't covered all that well in this part of the world.
It's a good thing i'm not that attracted to them.
Old 14 September 2018, 05:12 PM   #68
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfrazetta View Post
WRONG. Rolex is the best high end brand for anyone who isn't extremely wealthy. Patek is old fashioned and pretends to be timeless. There is no such thing as timeless design. Design ALWAYS moves forward.
Sometimes, classic designs can also go full circle
Old 14 September 2018, 05:12 PM   #69
Andy T
"TRF" Member

Im a Rolex person all the way, couldn’t drop any serious amount of cash on any other brand.
And for Richard Mille, I wouldn’t wear one of those hideous monstrosities even if it was given to me.
I understand the appeal of Patek, and if I was seriously rich would probably buy a grand complication just for the hell of it, but just one !
Andy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 05:19 PM   #70
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex watches are great, I love them, but after wearing one for a few decades I got bored. So I bought other Rolexes. I was still bored. One day it dawned on me: they are all the same. Different dial, same case. Different bracelet, same case. PP, Lange, Journe, AP et.al. are for those days when you're not engaging in life threatening activities.
Yeah, Rolexes are durable beyond belief, like a Jeep. You can drive a Jeep anywhere, but do you really want to?
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 05:33 PM   #71
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
Richard Mille, I wouldn’t wear one of those hideous monstrosities even if it was given to me.
Have to agree with this. Amazing build quality and ingenious movements (I'd imagine. I'm not interested therefor don't read about them) but for a quarter of a million quid I want something that looks nice. Plus Ed Sheeran wears one.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 05:57 PM   #72
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubMarine View Post
Do Rolex owners (secretly) yearn to own higher end brands: Patek, RM, Lange, AP, etc?

This is getting pretty close to the cult-like Apple fan boys. You are not cheating on your watch if you want variety.

I buy what i like and i like watches generally. Even if i liked a Hublot (which i dont) i would wear it proudly. Rolex isnt the be all and end all of watches. It may be someones favorite, but anyone who cant appreciate other brands is a fan boy, not a WIS

Even watches that cost close to a million dollars and i will never own, i still like and appreciate them.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 06:09 PM   #73
mikkolopez
"TRF" Member

Not for me. My brand to crown my achievement and milestone will always be Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have even DONE everything,
I just don't REMEMBER everything.
mikkolopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 06:30 PM   #74
Mephist
"TRF" Member

To me there is nothing "better" then Rolex. You have more expensive watches, tougher watches, watches with more complications and watches with more craftsmanship in the design and so on. However after looking at and evaluation lots of different brands I see none that better cover my needs and wishes then Rolex. I want a watch that can last me a life time and more then that. That is automatic, that is waterproof to at least 100 meters. Something versatile enough that I can use it for every occasion 24/7. It has to have a metal bracelet and not a strap of some sort. Because I want it to be easy to clean wean I get dirty or spill things on it. It must be able to handle daily wear, gyms, showers and sea water. I also want the watch to keep it's value relatively well. I also want it to have a rich history and a history that appeals to me. For this reasons and some more. There are many watches that are very good at one, two or three of the above and then fails at some of the others. To me Rolex gets the overall highest score wean everything is put together and added up.
Old 14 September 2018, 06:39 PM   #75
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephist View Post
To me there is nothing "better" then Rolex. You have more expensive watches, tougher watches, watches with more complications and watches with more craftsmanship in the design and so on. However after looking at and evaluation lots of different brands I see none that better cover my needs and wishes then Rolex. I want a watch that can last me a life time and more then that. That is automatic, that is waterproof to at least 100 meters. Something versatile enough that I can use it for every occasion 24/7. It has to have a metal bracelet and not a strap of some sort. Because I want it to be easy to clean wean I get dirty or spill things on it. It must be able to handle daily wear, gyms, showers and sea water. I also want the watch to keep it's value relatively well. I also want it to have a rich history and a history that appeals to me. For this reasons and some more. There are many watches that are very good at one, two or three of the above and then fails at some of the others. To me Rolex gets the overall highest score wean everything is put together and added up.
Hi, I believe this watch fulfills all your requirements, and more.

5711.jpg
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 06:46 PM   #76
j0oftheworld
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
I really don't like any of the "chunky" modern high-end watches. AP/Hublot..etc
Now, Patek in my eye as "the" high end watch pretty much makes an entire line of art.

Mr Bond, I suppose you wouldn't care to... um... raise the limit?
I have no objections. Looks like you're out to get me.
It's an idea, at that.
j0oftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 06:54 PM   #77
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfrazetta View Post
WRONG. Rolex is the best high end brand for anyone who isn't extremely wealthy. Patek is old fashioned and pretends to be timeless. There is no such thing as timeless design. Design ALWAYS moves forward.

Yeah a lot of generalising there.

What about the wealthy man that wears a Tag, or a Omega? Happens all the time.

Patek, old fashioned and pretend. With that statement I’m not sure I need to provide an analogy.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 06:54 PM   #78
Mephist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post

Attachment 982475
Ichiran haha funny you should mention it. I was about to write the only other I could consider is the Nautilus. However the price of it is too high for me to be comfortable wearing it 24/7 as a daily beater so I left it out. Other then that it is perfect!
Old 14 September 2018, 06:57 PM   #79
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephist View Post
Ichiran haha funny you should mention it. I was about to write the only other I could consider is the Nautilus. However the price of it is too high for me to be comfortable wearing it 24/7 as a daily beater so I left it out. Other then that it is perfect!
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 07:00 PM   #80
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post

Attachment 982475
Not so sure about that. I found the 5711 to feel distinctly 'delicate' against a Rolex. So I sold it. But I do admire some other brands such as ALS. There's something for everybody out there.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 07:04 PM   #81
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterskinner View Post
Not so sure about that. I found the 5711 to feel distinctly 'delicate' against a Rolex. So I sold it. But I do admire some other brands such as ALS. There's something for everybody out there.
its smaller/thinner sure, but the flip side of that argument is that a Rolex contains excess metal for the sake of being chunky. If comparing two watches with the same WR and same functions (time and date) the Rolex is thick for no reason other than to be thick.

People equate thick and chunky with quality and durability to a large extent so its not only easier to make a thick watch, but people also like the weight as it feels more substantial
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 14 September 2018, 07:08 PM   #82
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I own Rolex, but I don't particularly aspire to "higher-end" brands.

I do own a vintage Le Coultre chronograph, so I'm not sure if that's "higher-end" or not. It shares the same movement as the Rolex chronograph (and others) of the era.

I am especially fond of certain vintage Patek Calatrava models, but the bottom line is that I set a four-figure limit as what I was willing to spend on any watch.

I have found that I'm quite happy to live within those limits, especially as I don't flip watches.

So, while I do admire "higher-end" watches, I don't actually aspire to own them.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 07:12 PM   #83
Waddy1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub date.
Always wanted a Rolex and never a different brand.
Had Tags and Omega watches in the past but always knew they were stepping stones to a Rolex. Which I now have.
The problem I have is not wanting different brands... its wanting more Rolex watches!!!
I remember saying when I picked up my Sub "Thats it now" FFS!
Waddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 07:33 PM   #84
DP63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
I dont have any desire to wear a RM, in fact, I dont find them appealing in the slightest, I can appreciate them for what they are but just dont take to the styling on most. Same with AP, in some cases, I look at them and cant see the justification for the price tag, but that can be the same for some Rolex.

If we are all honest ... its just a watch ... Seiko make some fantastic and affordable watches, and if it was just about telling the time, we'd all be wearing Seiko or similar and probably not be involved in watch forums at all. However, thats not the case.

I "like" Rolex watches, its that simple really. The style, build quality and the fact that few things in the world retain value like they do is an added bonus in our throw away society.
DP63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 07:43 PM   #85
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Why would it be a secret?
If you vote it won’t be.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 07:50 PM   #86
Submarinerman1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1971 gmt, any sub
I like some of the designs of high end brands but never buy them. I know a reasonable amount about Rolex and pretty much stick to them. I've had a few one off's of other brands over the years but always seem to get bored of them and trade.
Submarinerman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 08:04 PM   #87
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubMarine View Post
Some people don't want to admit that they cannot afford the higher end pieces.
Just watch it with the provocative and divisive language which is your usual modus operandi here and it is getting very very tiresome.

This whole thread was a McGuffin, a fake device, just designed to set members against each other.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 08:08 PM   #88
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Another strange thread from SubMarine...Shocker.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 08:10 PM   #89
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Another strange thread from SubMarine...Shocker.
Hope there won't be many more, this guy has one agenda only.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 08:27 PM   #90
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post

This whole thread was a McGuffin, a fake device, just designed to set members against each other.