The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

View Poll Results: Do you yearn/aspire to own higher end brands (Patek, RM, Lange, AP, etc)?
I own Rolex, and yearn/aspire to own pieces higher end than Rolex. 146 29.49%
I own Rolex, but could not care less for the higher end brands. 178 35.96%
I own both Rolex and higher end brands. 163 32.93%
I own neither Rolex nor the higher end brands. 8 1.62%
Voters: 495. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14 September 2018, 08:28 PM   #91
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Started with Rolex but after 4 pieces i felt they were to common. So i got in to other brands like AP, ALS, Blancpain, Breguet and others. However this year my interest in Rolex returned when i saw the Polar in person. I got it and it reminded me why Rolex are great watches. They simply work and no worries. After the Polar i got the Milgauss, a SD43 and a DD on order

Maybe i just had bad luck but i had many issues with the higher end brands. From dried up oil within a couple of years to pulling the crown straight out when setting it and stuff between. Its pain to service especialy in my region.

I'm wearing my Breguet Marine 5817 for the week. Love the watch but its loosing 4-10 seconds a day so instead of enjoying the watch i'm timing the accuracy and deciding if i should send it in:)
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 08:48 PM   #92
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfrazetta View Post
There is no such thing as timeless design.
I disagree.

They may be few and far between, but they're out there, even if the manufactures of such have moved on from those designs, either evolutionarily or revolutionarily.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 09:06 PM   #93
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Everyone has aspirational buying habits. You will always want more.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 09:10 PM   #94
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubMarine View Post
Some people don't want to admit that they cannot afford the higher end pieces.
They do? How could you know this, unless this describes you?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 09:17 PM   #95
SubMarine
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
They do? How could you know this, unless this describes you?
As the thread author, I have no problem acknowledging which category I fall into. Check my vote in the poll, and perhaps it can help clarify your confusion.
SubMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 09:23 PM   #96
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
It's no secret that Rolex owners are some of the most closely-knit, accomplished, and diverse group of people relative to collectors from other brands. Most of us come from all walks of life and have achieved a certain degree of success in life that we're proud of.

However, as we all well know, Rolex is but an upper mid-tier brand in terms of the overall totem pole of horology. I'm curious how many of us owners aspire to own a Patek Philippe, AP, Lange, or Richard Mille one day. Many of these higher-end pieces cost many multiples the price of your average Rolex. In other words, as a watch collector, do your ambitions encompass the ultimate pinnacle of horology, or are you content with Rolex?

Do you wear Rolex because you are relegated to Rolex as the best of your currently available options due to financial limitations?

On the other hand, it would also be interesting to know how many Rolex owners already own examples of these higher end haute horology pieces.
Yes some watches do cost ridiculous amounts of money,but myself have no ambitions of buying any other brands now or in future.The most important thing in life and not material things like overpriced perceived high end watches. The most precious thing we have in this world today is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.So give me good health everytime over any perceived status of any so called high end watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 09:25 PM   #97
DoDe
"TRF" Member

I would not be comfortable buying or wearing wathces even more expensive than Rolex.
DoDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 09:27 PM   #98
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As the thread author, I have no problem acknowledging which category I fall into. Check my vote in the poll, and perhaps it can help clarify your confusion.
Not confused at all, thanks.

Just fascinated by those who seek to analyze and categorize other people's behavior.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 14 September 2018, 09:28 PM   #99
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I disagree.

They may be few and far between, but they're out there, even if the manufactures of such have moved on from those designs, either evolutionarily or revolutionarily.
I'm with you on this one.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 09:33 PM   #100
SubMarine
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Not confused at all, thanks.

Just fascinated by those who seek to analyze and categorize other people's behavior.
Great, I hope this thread delivers for you.
SubMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 09:39 PM   #101
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Strictly speaking of higher end brands, I only have interest in independents (Moser, Laurent Ferrier, FP Journe), and that's what I'm looking to acquire next. For some reason, I have zero interest in Patek, AP and Lange. Not really sure why, but they do nothing for me.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 09:44 PM   #102
Mick8moses
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Not me. I mean no disrespect but these brands remind me of a music box with a dancing ballerina on top of it. I know they are the best we can find in this world but I don't have this level of sophistication. I don't go to operas, don't attend to classic concerts, I'm more like an ordinary guy from the block that drinks beer and smokes weed listening to rock cds. A sports Rolex is more than enough for me and even that is seen as a bit too much in my social context.

Agreed.
While I'm not against other brands, I'm a guy who sits in front of a computer for 9 hours every weekday with my fellow nerds. None of them even wear watches except for the occasional smart watch or fitness tracker on the athletes (strangely there are no meat heads in Healthcare IT but loads of cyclists). On the weekend I'm either working in the yard on a landscape project or working on the house on a remodel project. One night a week I may take the wife to a fancy night out.
Most other brands would get almost no wrist time.
Mick8moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 09:55 PM   #103
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would have the discussion that Rolex is a higher end brand in line with others. It all depends on how you classify the higher end. I admire PP, VC and several other lines but have not felt the urge to buy. I know based on who I am and what I like there is very little that I would want and very little I would pay the money for.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 10:15 PM   #104
Wools
"TRF" Member

The OP is missing an option between 1 & 2, where I own a Rolex and admire all watches, more expensive and less expensive.

Owning a Rolex isn't the be all and end all for some people but is for others. Yet, you would be a fool to not admire all watches as everyone brings something unique, exciting and useful to the table.
Wools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 10:15 PM   #105
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wools View Post
The OP is missing an option between 1 & 2, where I own a Rolex and admire all watches, more expensive and less expensive.

Owning a Rolex isn't the be all and end all for some people but is for others. Yet, you would be a fool to not admire all watches as everyone brings something unique, exciting and useful to the table.
Exactly

And it does not need to be a secret.
Old 14 September 2018, 10:49 PM   #106
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl65 View Post
another strange thread from submarine...shocker.
x2.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 10:54 PM   #107
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Not me. I mean no disrespect but these brands remind me of a music box with a dancing ballerina on top of it.
I love it Flavio!!!! Ditto...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 10:55 PM   #108
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Yes some watches do cost ridiculous amounts of money,but myself have no ambitions of buying any other brands now or in future.The most important thing in life and not material things like overpriced perceived high end watches. The most precious thing we have in this world today is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.So give me good health everytime over any perceived status of any so called high end watch.
Absolutely can not be said any better Peter...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 11:01 PM   #109
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Thanks for posting that thread. I would not pay for something else than Rolex, for various reasons
However, I do not believe that people that own expensive watches, are as good as described by OP
Some people are so smart and content, that they do not need money to be happy.
nektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 11:14 PM   #110
Brew
"TRF" Member

I am curious about other high-end brands, but they are not available where I live. I can travel an hour or so to try on Rolexes, but would have to travel at least 3 hours for the other big names mentioned in this thread. Dropping multiples of $10k, site unseen let alone without trying one on my wrist, is not an option.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 11:21 PM   #111
FirstF80InSpace
"TRF" Member

I own Rolexes. JLC is as high end as I will go. I can't see myself owning the holy trinity. No interest in shipping my watch off for 6 months and paying over $2000 for service.
FirstF80InSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 11:23 PM   #112
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Great, I hope this thread delivers for you.
Just consider one thing son, there are plenty of multi-millionaires and billionaires that probably wouldn't spend more than a few hundred for a watch. They stay wealthy because they are frugal with their money. The members here on this forum are just a minute population compared to the big wide world out there.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 11:24 PM   #113
Bearwithme
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstarmar View Post
Absolutely can not be said any better Peter...
100% health is the most important thing we all have.

Having said that... is it so bad to want to keep my Heath AND own a Perpetual calendar too!

Aside from Rolex I really only like JLC and Lange watches (taste is ever changing though) - typically dress models and calendar complications are what get me with those two brands, nothing to do with value alone or I’d be on a Patek perpetual ahead of the others. Realistically I have no chance of affording any of them for a few years at best so it’s not about attainability either.

Side note - Something quite special to me about those music box ballerina dials (fantastic description BTW) on the flip side of that I think AP and Hublot make some of the ugliest things ever to be seen on an arm - like strapping a broken piece of Optimus Prime onto the wrist, certainly not for me.

Opinions opinions / nice thread OP, enjoyed it.

Cheers,
J
Bearwithme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 11:26 PM   #114
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
This is getting pretty close to the cult-like Apple fan boys. You are not cheating on your watch if you want variety.

I buy what i like and i like watches generally. Even if i liked a Hublot (which i dont) i would wear it proudly. Rolex isnt the be all and end all of watches. It may be someones favorite, but anyone who cant appreciate other brands is a fan boy, not a WIS

Even watches that cost close to a million dollars and i will never own, i still like and appreciate them.
I wish I'd said this, but I would be afraid of getting flamed. Absolutely true.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 11:29 PM   #115
Clasper
"TRF" Member

I'd love on my list to have a Nautilus, Royal Oak and a Lange too.

Great watches the Nautilus has a waiting list even more legendary than the mythical SS Blue Skydweller or Daytona C
Clasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 11:31 PM   #116
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Peter rightly puts this in prospective.

My watch journey started with PP, then Rolex, which lead me to Tudor, and with the help of enlightened TRF members, Seiko. I'm very satisfied with that evolution.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 11:37 PM   #117
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Rolex has certainly been a gateway for me when it comes to high end watches. I've come to love the Royal Oak, Datograph, Zeitwerk, and Nautilus. Other brands like RM just aren't for me. I appreciate what they are, but aesthetically they don't do it for me. There are also designs by AP, ALS, and PP that do nothing for me and that I'd prefer Rolex, Panerai, or IWC over. I have yet to own something by any of the top tier brands, but I can see an AP in the near future.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 11:54 PM   #118
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I prefer "sport" watches and most of the higher tier watches tend to be dressy and/or avant garde, neither of which appeal to me.
ArtNouveau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 11:54 PM   #119
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I like watches. Like all of em
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 12:31 AM   #120
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Another carefully laid out thread by the OP

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote