The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 24 January 2020, 02:18 PM   #31
themast
"TRF" Member

I sometimes have concerns but different from yours!

Some drivers are a bit too aggressive but that is in part a personal opinion and sometimes a result of perceived benefits. I think that some drivers think that by driving faster they do you a favor.

However, my main concern is maintenance. Just yesterday I got into a vehicle that desperately needed a wheel alignment and that vibrated over 60mph (bent wheel?). Even before I stepped out I knew already that tires were bold and in fact they were (from what I could see as I was walking away).
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 02:12 AM   #32
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I've been in a lot of Ubers and had great experiences. And no vomit or urine smell.

You can choose your driver, and what they are driving. I've been in a Jag in Sydney, a Lexus in SF, a Mercedes in NY/NJ and a number of electric cars.

Never had a problem. And if immigrants aren't your cup of tea (don't know why that would be) you don't have to choose them on the app.

Personally I like talking to them to get their life story.
My friend it’s not immigrants but their inability to even have basic conversation | discuss directions which is kind of important, also in most cases they don’t even acknowledge me and don’t say hello and goodbye but I’m glad you had great experience with Uber so far. I use it everyday but have increasingly bad experiences.

Also how do you choose your driver ? I get my drivers allocated
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 02:14 AM   #33
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themast View Post
I sometimes have concerns but different from yours!

Some drivers are a bit too aggressive but that is in part a personal opinion and sometimes a result of perceived benefits. I think that some drivers think that by driving faster they do you a favor.

However, my main concern is maintenance. Just yesterday I got into a vehicle that desperately needed a wheel alignment and that vibrated over 60mph (bent wheel?). Even before I stepped out I knew already that tires were bold and in fact they were (from what I could see as I was walking away).
That is indeed bad you should just report to Uber at least then will not get the same driver ever again.
Old 25 January 2020, 02:25 AM   #34
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
My friend it’s not immigrants but their inability to even have basic conversation | discuss directions which is kind of important, also in most cases they don’t even acknowledge me and don’t say hello and goodbye but I’m glad you had great experience with Uber so far. I use it everyday but have increasingly bad experiences.

Also how do you choose your driver ? I get my drivers allocated
I haven't used Uber in a year but the app shows who's close and you choose from the picture, the driver and what the car is. Or you used to be able to.

Taxi/Uber has always been a place where immigrants seemed to gravitate to as a first job so it's pretty common to have people who are new here.

Anyways, sorry you're experiencing issues. My wife uses them a couple of times a month around the country and hasn't mentioned any problems. But I'm sure with the hundreds of drivers there are, that some are not great.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 02:27 AM   #35
Raypep
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ / BLNR / Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
I'm either drunk or soon to be drunk when I Uber. I have no idea if the driver is good or bad but I seem to always have a good experience.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
This..... Very True.
Raypep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 03:21 AM   #36
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
anybody else here experienced drivers that don't know how to use GPS navigation properly ? Recently I have experienced drivers that just look at google maps from a birds eye view but then don't know where to go!!!

Also, what's up with drivers that don't speak one word of English (including google maps just in Chinese/ Spanish)? I wonder what Chinese or Mexican people would say if I drove Uber in their country but only speak German (including German navigation)!!
So you mean random people with a car?

Never understood summoning a taxi alternative to a taxi
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 03:32 AM   #37
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
So you mean random people with a car?

Never understood summoning a taxi alternative to a taxi
A lot of reasons.

One is that it is very hard to get a taxi in a lot of places. You merely go onto the Uber app and summon one and the number of cars in the area are immediately shown with a picture of the car and driver. You choose. It tells the amount of time it takes for the car/driver to get there.

The cars are clean and nice in every instance I've seen.

You pay from the app. No cash needed.

The driver always is there for you, not taken by someone else who is standing there. You have his license number so you know which is your car.

The cars are clean.

The cars are clean.
Old 25 January 2020, 03:36 AM   #38
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
A lot of reasons.

One is that it is very hard to get a taxi in a lot of places. You merely go onto the Uber app and summon one and the number of cars in the area are immediately shown with a picture of the car and driver. You choose. It tells the amount of time it takes for the car/driver to get there.

The driver always is there for you, not taken by someone else who is standing there. You have his license number so you know which is your car.

The cars are clean.

The cars are clean.
Thanks, never knew any of this
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 04:06 AM   #39
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Thanks, never knew any of this
It was definitely the definition of the better mouse trap.

An ingenious idea, that really works well. I'm guessing there are always some issues but it also made the taxi industry take notice and clean up their act.
Old 25 January 2020, 10:29 AM   #40
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A lot of reasons.

The cars are clean.

The cars are clean.
Agree but you forgot to mention the cars are clean.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 12:50 AM   #41
rdmlondon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It was definitely the definition of the better mouse trap.

An ingenious idea, that really works well. I'm guessing there are always some issues but it also made the taxi industry take notice and clean up their act.

Not a fan at all.

London taxis had the first ride hailing app, before Uber, it was called Hailo. There are now several of these 'taxi' apps in London.

Uber have achieved their position by literally burning through billions of investor dollars, spent on clever hiring (people with direct access to government), lobbying, marketing and friendly pieces in the media. It was/is a failed corporate/banker attempt at cornering the taxi market. Low fares to drive others out then raise fares. Only it hasn't panned out.

Uber is a gig economy parasite company. Drivers make very little, Uber pays very little tax and clogs up the streets. It will never make a profit and the sooner it goes bust the better. The shares are now on the public, Travis and Goldman Sachs have recently cashed out so the writing could be on the wall....

As I said not a fan.

And as for there always being some issues...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-51229976

28,000 safety-related complaints were made about Uber drivers in London in a six-month period, it has emerged.

The safety concerns were among almost 600,000 complaints made to the firm between December 2018 and May 2019.
rdmlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 01:37 AM   #42
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmlondon View Post
Not a fan at all.

London taxis had the first ride hailing app, before Uber, it was called Hailo. There are now several of these 'taxi' apps in London.

Uber have achieved their position by literally burning through billions of investor dollars, spent on clever hiring (people with direct access to government), lobbying, marketing and friendly pieces in the media. It was/is a failed corporate/banker attempt at cornering the taxi market. Low fares to drive others out then raise fares. Only it hasn't panned out.

Uber is a gig economy parasite company. Drivers make very little, Uber pays very little tax and clogs up the streets. It will never make a profit and the sooner it goes bust the better. The shares are now on the public, Travis and Goldman Sachs have recently cashed out so the writing could be on the wall....

As I said not a fan.

And as for there always being some issues...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-51229976

28,000 safety-related complaints were made about Uber drivers in London in a six-month period, it has emerged.

The safety concerns were among almost 600,000 complaints made to the firm between December 2018 and May 2019.
Never been to the UK but I've read the taxi drivers have undergone extensive training and are very good.

Not the case in the US.

I drove a taxi for a couple of years while going to high school. So I have a bit of respect for the life and also how they should be.
Old 26 January 2020, 01:43 AM   #43
rdmlondon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Never been to the UK but I've read the taxi drivers have undergone extensive training and are very good.

Not the case in the US.

I drove a taxi for a couple of years while going to high school. So I have a bit of respect for the life and also how they should be.

rdmlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 03:00 AM   #44
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Washington DC rideshare drivers are among the best I have experienced and I travel extensively. The Bay Area drivers are among the worst, using really awful tactics like driving away from you after accepting your fare to induce a chargeable cancellation. I’ve waited 15+ minutes there (on principle) for a pickup when these tactics have been employed.

I have a favorite quote that I use quite liberally. It goes something like this:

The day the last human ride share driver logs off forever in favor of automated vehicles will be a momentous world event akin to world peace in its benefit to humanity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 06:14 PM   #45
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Washington DC rideshare drivers are among the best I have experienced and I travel extensively. The Bay Area drivers are among the worst, using really awful tactics like driving away from you after accepting your fare to induce a chargeable cancellation. I’ve waited 15+ minutes there (on principle) for a pickup when these tactics have been employed.

I have a favorite quote that I use quite liberally. It goes something like this:

The day the last human ride share driver logs off forever in favor of automated vehicles will be a momentous world event akin to world peace in its benefit to humanity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Amen !!!! Bay Area drivers really going downhill unfortunately keep getting bad drivers maybe time to upgrade Uber black at least for the long rides