The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 17 July 2016, 03:40 AM   #1
enhamhale
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariners all
Worth exchange 16600 towards new 4000

Would it be worth me exchanging my 16600 seadweller for a brand new 4000 is there any real differences and investment ?
enhamhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 08:16 PM   #2
dlack
"TRF" Member

Best to hang on to it IMO. 16600 classic 40mm form-factor/non-ceramic bezel discontinued in 2008. Will likely increase in value as a vintage or eventual vintage, as demand increases.
Old 25 September 2018, 09:03 PM   #3
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Go try on the 4000 and you will have your answer. I am not a huge fan of the older watches and I some how believe that we have now added an investment factor into our purchases that was not there a few years ago. The modern divers, on a technical level for case, bezel, bracelet and by all means the Glidelock Clasp are on a different level. Some still prefer the older watches and I have been in the game long enough to have owned a lot of those watches when they were new and to each their own but I prefer the newer watches. Value is funny because until you sell or buy it is an abstract number. I think once you try on the 4000 you will know if you are a modern dive watch fan or not. Good luck. I would get the 4000.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 10:18 PM   #4
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Go try on the 4000 and you will have your answer. I am not a huge fan of the older watches and I some how believe that we have now added an investment factor into our purchases that was not there a few years ago. The modern divers, on a technical level for case, bezel, bracelet and by all means the Glidelock Clasp are on a different level. Some still prefer the older watches and I have been in the game long enough to have owned a lot of those watches when they were new and to each their own but I prefer the newer watches. Value is funny because until you sell or buy it is an abstract number. I think once you try on the 4000 you will know if you are a modern dive watch fan or not. Good luck. I would get the 4000.
Pretty sound advice. I have always been a Seadweller guy with a 16600 as a daily wearer. I was fortunate enough to land an SD4000 almost immediately upon launch a few years ago...back in the day when you could still actually get SS sports. Anyway, the first thing that struck me was that it wore quite differently from my 16600. Superb design and construction but something did not quite do it for me so I flipped it....maybe I should have given it a bit longer? I then got the SD50 earlier this year and whilst a bigger watch, it works really well for me...as does the SubC actually.

Try the SD4000 on if you can before you do anything in terms of the 16600. The modern ones definitely 'feel' different!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote