The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 October 2018, 01:39 AM   #1
T3F
"TRF" Member

Mod Help: Group Order Thread Deleted

Hi Mods,

I posted a thread last night about a fun project for the forum where we all collectively come up with a special dial design for a Tudor Black Bay 58 and place a custom order for it with Tudor. A few hours later, it was deleted. I'm assuming the mod who deleted it didn't read it carefully, saw that I put the price for the watch that would come out of this project in the thread for informational purposes, and assumed it was a "for sale" post. It wasn't a "for sale" post by any stretch, as I wasn't "selling" anything and I would benefit monetarily in no way at all -- I'll actually take a financial hit if it works, as I'm going to buy a few of the custom watches . It was simply a cool project that other members seemed equally excited about -- in the 7 or so hours the thread was up, it was closing in on two full pages of posts, all of which were positive feedback, interest, and suggestions for what the dial design might be. In the 6 or so hours since the thread was deleted, I was sent 9 - yes, 9 -- PMs from people who were excited about the project and confused/upset about the thread being axed.

This is a very cool and unique project that has a lot of members very excited and seems to have a pretty good chance of happening in reality. Nobody who read the post interpreted it as a "for sale" post, and nobody was upset or thought it was inappropriate in the least. Is there any way the thread could be reinstated? Right now it shows as "Moved," but is inaccessible if you click on it. If it is permanently gone, could I recreate the thread and have it not get deleted? Happy to have a conversation about this and answer any additional questions. Again, I think it would be very unfortunate if this project, which is a dream opportunity for many here on TRF including myself, couldn't go forward because its intent was misinterpreted as breaching the community guidelines.

Thanks for your help!
Old 19 October 2018, 01:50 AM   #2
Naples09
"TRF" Member

Ibtl
Old 19 October 2018, 02:23 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Using TRF as a vehicle for group buys has long been prohibited.

Of course, you are volunteering to "manage" the million dollar account that such a group buy would generate, what could possibly go wrong.
Old 19 October 2018, 03:45 AM   #4
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

You could consider bringing the topic as a philosophical type as "What would such an idea entail?" in the Afterdark forum.

You ran before you walked it seemed.

Have a discussion about the hypothetical over there, perhaps.
Old 19 October 2018, 03:50 AM   #5
T3F
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Using TRF as a vehicle for group buys has long been prohibited.

Of course, you are volunteering to "manage" the million dollar account that such a group buy would generate, what could possibly go wrong.
1. That's not explicitly written anywhere in the rules, and there was no way to know that. I wouldn't even say it's implied in the rules, although I could see how someone else might feel differently.

2. This is a project that I thought would be fun for the forum, and the forum clearly seemed to agree. It benefits everyone who wants to take part and harms nobody. I think allowing collectors to do something cool together is a fantastic use of the forum and, in a lot of ways, embodies what the forum is all about.

3. The claim that I would be managing a "million dollar account" isn't even close to factually correct. This could be partially my fault, as I might not have explained the way this would work as clearly as I intended, so I'll explain more clearly below. Once again, I have zero affiliation with the AD that would be helping with this aside from buying a few watches from them in the past. If you PM me, I'd be more than happy to tell you who they are, who I am, and have them confirm this, or do anything else to confirm that I'm just a collector that thinks this would be fun and am not benefitting monetarily in any way. If the forum wants to use a different AD or have a moderator "manage" this, that's totally fine with me. I had the idea and took the initiative to start it, but someone else is welcome to do that if they so please. Additionally, I was never taking people's information down (the spreadsheet I had was only to get a rough estimate of how many people were interested), and I would never touch any of the money. When it came time to do the order, I would have given those interested the AD's contact information -- I would not be operating as a "middle man" of any sort.

I'm still getting PMs from people who are interested and are wondering what happened. I think it would benefit everyone if we could find a way to work this out, as I and a lot of other members think this would be very fun.
Old 19 October 2018, 03:52 AM   #6
T3F
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
You could consider bringing the topic as a philosophical type as "What would such an idea entail?" in the Afterdark forum.

You ran before you walked it seemed.

Have a discussion about the hypothetical over there, perhaps.
I put out a thread about a year ago bringing up the idea more hypothetically, and people seemed interested and that thread was never shut down. As such, and as the rules didn't seem to prohibit anything like this, it never even occurred to me that there would be any problems.
Old 19 October 2018, 04:07 AM   #7
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

I just assumed any payments would go to the AD through which the order is placed, and not to a single "manager." That certainly would be worth clarifying in any future posts.
Old 19 October 2018, 04:14 AM   #8
T3F
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
I just assumed any payments would go to the AD through which the order is placed, and not to a single "manager." That certainly would be worth clarifying in any future posts.
They absolutely would, and perhaps it's my fault for not making that more clear. To me, it was so obvious that I never considered having to clarify it, but I can see how people would be suspicious.
Old 19 October 2018, 04:15 AM   #9
T3F
"TRF" Member

I've just PMed Steve (lol-x) who I believe is the final word on stuff like this. I'm confident that, with some additional discussion and clarification, he'll be fine with it.
Old 19 October 2018, 04:55 AM   #10
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3F View Post
I've just PMed Steve (lol-x) who I believe is the final word on stuff like this. I'm confident that, with some additional discussion and clarification, he'll be fine with it.

You shouldn't have been so presumptuous.
Old 19 October 2018, 06:38 PM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
No the final word is between the admin and mods.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 19 October 2018, 11:52 PM   #12
Lol-x
Facilitator

From past experience group buys are thwart with problems.

Just the thought of a dial being designed that 'everyone' is happy with is unlikely, then there is the handling of money and making of the watch and delivery time and shipping and so on and so on.

As much as it may be well intentioned, its not possible.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Old 20 October 2018, 07:44 PM   #13
mailman
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
I moved the tread. Contrary to what you stated in then opening post in this thread, I read and fully understood what was happening and the idea behind it from the get go.

Using the, "Well if the mods say no I'll just go above their heads because I don't like what they're telling me" mentality usually doesn't get you anyway. I see you've found that out already.