The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 19 December 2016, 05:38 AM   #301
jatco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by edamato View Post
Hello. I don't know how to work this forum i am trying to buy my future son in law a watch winder for a rolex watch his dad bought for him. We know nothing about rolex and my daughter told us he needs a winder. Its a rolex oyster perpetual datejust if that makes sense. Help!Hello. I don't know how to work this forum i am trying to buy my future son in law a watch winder for a rolex watch his dad bought for him. We know nothing about rolex and my daughter told us he needs a winder. Its a rolex oyster perpetual datejust if that makes sense. Help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa CW21 View Post
Don't buy a cheap winder. They can do more damage than good. Expect to pay over $100 for a good one. Wolfe Design sells good winders...

There are a lot of posts about winders on this forum. You can do a search on the homepage.
Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk
Hello Edamato...
Being new to Rolex is an adventure in itself. You say "Its a rolex oyster perpetual datejust if that makes sense ".., which of course it does to those who know about them..- but, do you really need a watch winder..?? If he's going to wear the watch with any kind of regularity, you probably won't need a winder. Wearing it winds it. There are Many on this site who have numerous time pieces that don't use a winder. I don't..( tho I only have 2 that are mechanical..).. - Don't spend the money if you don't need to.. Just have him wear and enjoy the watch..!! If the winder is just for gift sake purposes.., then as Vanessa mentions, there are a lot of posts about winders..!
Good luck

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 12:06 AM   #302
chrisca70
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you!
So is it worth to pay Rolex price to service a Tudor ETA 2824?

Very informative thread, I have learned a lot, thanks Vanessa!

So, a few months ago I purchased a vintage Tudor 74000N ("mini Ranger") circa 1998. The watch is mint, came with box and papers, like it was on a time capsule or rarely worn...Unfortunately no service records.

The watch keeps awesome time +1-2 secs/day, and the timegrapher data looks great. I even did a simple pressure test and it passed. From this data I can conclude it does not needs to be serviced but since it's a 19 year old watch I want to have it checked by a Pro...

Called my local Rolex certified watchmaker and they told me the service would be $600! Wow, this is quite steep for an ETA based watch! I mean I can source 2 new Top grade movements with this money... So, when the time for a service comes, what would you recommend? I have the choice of an alternative watchmaker, non Rolex certified that would charge much less...
chrisca70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 07:04 AM   #303
SilverBack_
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi Z
Wow! The post is a real eye opener. The service seems like a bargain now.

I agree with some of the other posters about a loaner watch while being serviced!
SilverBack_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 08:38 PM   #304
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Many thanks to @vanessa.cw21 who helped me with servicing my Tudor Chrono 79280p. The dial was also replaced with another original one.
She was great throughout the process (especially communication). Everything done was exactly how she described it here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0056.jpg (89.0 KB, 955 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0062.jpg (72.5 KB, 954 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0065.jpg (69.7 KB, 951 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0069.jpg (62.6 KB, 952 views)
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2017, 10:37 AM   #305
Wine&watches
"TRF" Member

Icon14 Rolex service

Amen your hired!
Wine&watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2017, 03:31 AM   #306
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer six.
Wow, that was a very informative post. The video is so interesting to watch!
116710er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 02:01 PM   #307
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Can anyone advise if every gasket "must" be changed during service on a Sub, or is it ok if only worn gaskets are changed and the watch passes pressure check? Reason I ask is that my local watchmaker, who is Rolex trained and certified, finished servicing mine...only replaced the case back gasket, and said the other gaskets were in excellent condition (pliable, well lubricated, etc.).
Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
uansari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 10:39 PM   #308
chrisca70
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you!
Gaskets (crown, case back, and crystal) should always be changed during service. They are very easy to replace and quite cheap. Even if they look ok they may have slight damage or deterioration. It is a very cheap insurance to prevent water or moisture from getting into the case and cause internal damage to you movement, dial or hands.
chrisca70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 10:47 PM   #309
MikeMc
"TRF" Member

Watch: own 18 watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by uansari1 View Post
Can anyone advise if every gasket "must" be changed during service on a Sub, or is it ok if only worn gaskets are changed and the watch passes pressure check? Reason I ask is that my local watchmaker, who is Rolex trained and certified, finished servicing mine...only replaced the case back gasket, and said the other gaskets were in excellent condition (pliable, well lubricated, etc.).

Our watchmaker, a Rolex trained and CMW21 certified always changes all of the gaskets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MikeMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 12:44 AM   #310
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Ok, thanks guys.
Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
uansari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 01:55 AM   #311
CoachLange
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Great info. Thank you to all for the detailed info.
CoachLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 08:57 AM   #312
jcatt
"TRF" Member

My GMT Master II Pepsi 16710 is on it's way to Vanessa, and due to arrive tomorrow for her to service. I'm so excited, and know my watch is in the best possible caring hands.
JCATT
GMT Master II Pepsi 16710
Cartier Roadster Chrono
jcatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 12:38 PM   #313
nneha
"TRF" Member

it is a good question i also want to know about this
nneha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 10:03 AM   #314
neilziesing
"TRF" Member

1950 Rolex 5015 repair?

Hello folks! I am new to this forum, but have been on watchuseek for a few years now.

I have a 1950 Rolex ref. 5015 bubble-back.

If you pick it up it begins to run immediately.

If you wind it and lay it flat, it will keep near perfect time until it runs out of power.

If you wear it on your wrist, or lay it face down, it stops running.

I took it to my local repair guy. He took a pass on it, but called three other repair folks in the area he knew and they all took a pass on it as well.

Looking for a good solid, reputable rolex repair person who will not flinch at a 1950 model.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thank you!
neilziesing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 05:12 AM   #315
ennenkuolemaa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilziesing View Post
Hello folks! I am new to this forum, but have been on watchuseek for a few years now.

I have a 1950 Rolex ref. 5015 bubble-back.

If you pick it up it begins to run immediately.

If you wind it and lay it flat, it will keep near perfect time until it runs out of power.

If you wear it on your wrist, or lay it face down, it stops running.

I took it to my local repair guy. He took a pass on it, but called three other repair folks in the area he knew and they all took a pass on it as well.

Looking for a good solid, reputable rolex repair person who will not flinch at a 1950 model.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thank you!
Have you tried contacting Rolex USA in Lititz Pennsylvania, if i remember correctly they do have a restoration atelier there. Also sending the watch to Geneva to Rolex might be a option. Although the price repairing watch this old might be high.
ennenkuolemaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 11:21 AM   #316
knguyen555
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Watch service

Wow that's amazing work you do Vanessa. Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing.
knguyen555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 12:07 PM   #317
jatco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by knguyen555 View Post
Wow that's amazing work you do Vanessa. Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing.
..From other posts Re- Vanessa and her skills, - I'd certainly would recommend her for service...! - She's On the Ball........!! (JMO..)..!

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2018, 10:18 AM   #318
Mrcoach32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa CW21 View Post
Some common questions I hear a lot: "What does a service include?" "Why does it cost so much?" "How long does it take to service a Rolex?"
I'm sorry if the answer is a bit long, but this is what, why and how long:

This is what I do when I service a Rolex….

I open the case and remove the rotor.
I remove the movement from the case. I continue to take off the hands and remove the dial and date disc. The mainspring gets unwound and at this point the movement goes into the cleaner.

I continue with taking the case apart; removing the bezel, and crystal.
I change into a different lab coat, put on gloves and a face mask to start the refinishing of the case and bracelet.
First I buff the case with a hard wheel and a certain compound which makes the case so hot that the wheel starts smoking. I then clean the case in the ultrasonic cleaner and continue with a different polishing wheel that’s softer. I will high-polish the bezel and case back and the bracelet if applicable.
Once the case back is clean in the ultrasonic, I will now high-polish that one as well.
I will change the polishing wheel once more to a soft wheel and again a different compound and give it the finishing super high polish on the parts needed.
While all those finished parts are in the cleaner, I will brush polish the clasp with a hard wheel, followed by a softer brush wheel.
Then I tape off the polished areas on the bracelet to brush-polish the rest of it. When that’s done I change back to the high-polish wheel to polish the side of the bracelet and clasp.
I steam clean all the parts of the case and put them on a dryer. Once the case is dry, I put the final brush polish to the lugs and case back with a special filing technique.

The movement (let’s say a 3135) has finished the pre-cleaning process, and can now be checked and disassembled.
The date parts are first, flowed by the automatic mechanism: I first check the end-shake* on all wheels.
I then take out all (3) screws and put them in the small cleaning baskets. I will check the rotor axle and replace it when necessary. I continue with the disassembling of the movement.
I first check the end-shake on the balance wheel. Then I remove the shock-absorbent jewels. The balance wheel is carefully removed and put aside after I unscrewed the 2 screws that hold the bridge in place. I proceed with the pallet fork. Again I check end-shake and remove 2 screws to take off the bridge and remove the pallet fork. At this point I check the freedom of the train with winding the mainspring just a little bit. Then I check all the gears’ end-shakes and remove the 3 screws that hold the train bridge to remove the escape wheel, second wheel, third wheel and great wheel. I then check every wheel meticulously to check for worn pivots, and replace the one that are not perfect anymore with new ones.
When at any moment the end-shake wasn’t satisfactory I then move the jewels up or down to correct the error and reassemble the wheel to check again until it's perfect.
I proceed with removing the screws on the ratchet wheel and bridge to remove the barrel with the mainspring. Now I can open the barrel and remove the mainspring which goes straight into my garbage can.
I proceed with taking the rest of the watch apart, including the winding mechanism. I put the balance back onto the main plate to prevent the hairspring from getting tangled up while it’s cleaning.
Now the disassembled movement goes into the cleaner again to get its full cleaning. In the mean time I’ll have a coffee, and I will assemble the case with crystal and bezel.

When the movement is clean I put on some finger cots, and start with putting the reversing wheels, pallet fork and escape wheel into a special liquid lubricant.
I apply grease on the inside of the barrel wall and put a new mainspring in it. I close the barrel and check the end-shake of the arbor to make sure it’s free.
I continue with taking the reversing wheels, pallet fork and escape wheel out of the special lubricant and dry them with hot air from a hairdryer. Now I can take the balance back of the main plate and start putting the watch back together. Again the watch has 6 different lubricants and every lube has a very specific role into making the watch run as perfect as possible. When a grease or oil gets applied too much or too little, or at the wrong location within the watch, the amplitude and timing of the watch won’t be as it should.
Once the watch is assembled (and I’m not going to explain every single step as this is already getting way to long) I put it on my timer to check the beat, amplitude and time. Everything gets adjusted accordingly if necessary and I time the watch in 6 different positions to be within -1 to +4.

Once that’s achieved I assemble the dial and hands (when the date jumps at 12) and put the movement in the case. At this time I do the final timing at full wind and half wind, and adjust if necessary.
Then I assemble the automatic mechanism and check for freedom of the rotor.

Once that’s all up to standard, I close the case with new gaskets and put it on a dry pressure test. When it passes (or not) I proceed with the wet test, and make sure the watch doesn’t leak.
I can then put the bracelet on, set the time equal to my atomic clock and store it in my safe with the crown left, until the next day.
Then I check the time again compared to the atomic clock and note the amount of seconds it’s + or -.
Then I put it on my automatic winder for a day, check again and finally I put it dial up in my safe again to check the next day, and the day thereafter to see when the watch stopped to check the power reserve.
At this time, if everything is within standards I call the customer that his/her watch is ready. If not, I have to find the problem, possibly adjust or start over! This all comes with a 2-year warranty on the work performed.

The tools and materials needed to work on Rolex watches and to keep the account in positive standing are about a $30,000 investment. Plus we have to maintain them and pay rent for the work space. I have gone to a 3-year full-time watchmaking school and undergone many hours of specialized training to do this job.

So now, let’s see… hmmm I guess the four hundred-something dollars I charge might not be enough if I think about it…

*end-shake: the free longitudinal movement of arbors or the like between bearings.
That means I have to evaluate the amount of movement of a wheel between the jewels. Some can be 0.01mm others 0.02 up to 0.06mm. This can only be determined by the experienced, and louped watchmaker's eye!

Vanessa

Great stuff! Thank you for posting this
Rolex 116610LN, Rolex 116710BLNR, Rolex 116610LV, Rolex 126600, Panerai PAM01320, Omega Planet Ocean 232.90.42.21.03.001, Omega Speedmaster Professional 311.30.42.30.01.005, Omega Seamaster 300M 2531.80.00, Tudor Pelagos LHD 25610TNL, Seiko SBDC007, Casio G-Shock GSTS130BC-1A
Mrcoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 08:20 AM   #319
johnscioscia
"TRF" Member

Icon11 please help me

a quetion for you if I may. I took my rolex in to get serviced . they said it had water damage and the dial needed replaced. I said OK. They replaced it with the newer dial with the tiny pinpoint diamonds in it and kept my original dial!! with the big ones!! My watch is the
1997 R1623333GB6252, Serial # U309028, Black G 10 brill. Can they get away with this? I refused to accept it back. What can be done??? Tyou!!! I feel like Ive been swindled!! Hoodwinked!!
johnscioscia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 02:58 PM   #320
stray_cat
"TRF" Member

Watch: one on the wrist
I purchased an older sub some years ago that had a dial replaced during a service. A couple of days later it occurred to me that I might want the old dial put back in to preserve originality. When he could not find it (I don't recall if he called them to get it and was then told) or he vaguely remembered that Rolex requires them to keep the old one, or something to that effect. Wished they replaced the hands too, I can see the dial lume but still don't know what time it is lol.

Was yours serviced by an AD?
stray_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2018, 12:26 AM   #321
WatchHustle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breitling
Wow, didn't know such much went into servicing a watch, thank you for the information! Great read
WatchHustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 12:10 PM   #322
jfk-ii
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II,
Very informative for a first time Rolex owner. Thank you!
jfk-ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 02:09 PM   #323
Amandaluv
"TRF" Member

Anybody know the year of my datejust Rolex 16030 serial number 8790386
Amandaluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 07:40 AM   #324
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

Great post (at least the parts I understood). Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jeffnnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 11:46 PM   #325
cjs1992
"TRF" Member

great post
cjs1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2019, 03:48 AM   #326
Jerrocop
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 39, SeaQ
Great info and great to hear it from you Vanessa, a watchmaker. My local watchmaker, who is also trained and authorized by Rolex, charged $520 to service my 6263 Daytona last year. Worth every penny after reading your post!
Jerrocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 07:58 AM   #327
Gaeta74
"TRF" Member

Great post, people are willing to pay much more for useless things and stupid accessories than for overhauling a Rolex.
Gaeta74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 07:46 AM   #328
Straggy
"TRF" Member

Nice info!
Straggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2019, 06:48 PM   #329
Truongton7
"TRF" Member

Vanessa, thanks for your sharing👍
Truongton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2019, 05:27 PM   #330
irocku
"TRF" Member

Incredible article Vanessa, that’s the most precise one I’ve ever heard, thank you for your information and if so, it would be appreciated if you are able to write much more about the watch parts :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
irocku is offline   Reply With Quote