The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 June 2019, 02:38 PM   #1
Docaw007
"TRF" Member

Paralysis by Analysis - First Rolex Attempt

Hey all,

Finding my first Rolex from and AD without haivng an established relationship is next to impossible so I'll most likely have to overpay. I have 6.5" wrists so models wear bigger at 40mm such as the sub so I may pass on those models but they do fit and they do look fantastic just like any Rolex does. If I can only have one as an everyday wearer I think I'm possibly down to 3. If I am going to overpay, I have to figure out where. They can make their money and I'm OK with that. This is for my first Father's day.

116500 - I like the white wife likes the black. Seems to be the best fit model
116710LN
116710BLNR
116509 - If prices end up too close I may try to find one of these instead. I saw the blue dial on a YM at a local AD and it looked great in person
Docaw007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2019, 11:48 PM   #2
Docaw007
"TRF" Member

Anyone have any thoughts ?
Old 18 June 2019, 12:15 AM   #3
jltait
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200
Happy belated Father’s Day. A Rolex is a great gift for sure. There are some very different models in your list. Try to find a grey dealer near you and try them all on. You’ll most likely know immediately which sings to you most.
jltait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 12:24 AM   #4
BDII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126710 BLRO
From everyone I’ve talked to, the Daytona is superior on the wrist. I’d go black dial Daytona
BDII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 12:47 AM   #5
natocu
"TRF" Member

116500, probably best for your wrist size.
I would go white dial.
natocu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 12:51 AM   #6
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
I’ve a similar wrist size, between the various options you’ve stated. Daytona fits the best. I personally like the white dial (as do many) but you can’t go wrong the black as well.

Don’t worry about the premium. If you are financially capable, the answer is always get what you like especially if it’s going to be a memorable watch.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 12:51 AM   #7
Halitosis
"TRF" Member

Watch: my angry dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by jltait View Post
...There are some very different models in your list. Try to find a grey dealer near you and try them all on. You’ll most likely know immediately which sings to you most.
+1
Halitosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 12:57 AM   #8
playford
"TRF" Member

what about a 39mm exp 1, sporty and nice size for a 6.5" wrist. Potentially available through an AD without horrors pricing.

Mind you if you can afford a grey market white dial daytona, just go all out and get a PM sports.
playford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 12:58 AM   #9
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
Quote:
Originally Posted by playford View Post
what about a 39mm exp 1, sporty and nice size for a 6.5" wrist. Potentially available through an AD without horrors pricing.

Mind you if you can afford a grey market white dial daytona, just go all out and get a PM sports.
I was thinking the same thing and really recommend a PM Daytona if you are going to be looking at paying grey pricing for the 116500.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 12:59 AM   #10
mbrown55
Banned

Watch: Sea Dweller 126600
Sam's Watches in Miami, check out his website. Give him a call before you buy, he will give your a good deal and can find what you are looking for at competitive prices. He takes paypal, ships next day fedex, is a good guy. I have bought five watches from him.
mbrown55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 01:14 AM   #11
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docaw007 View Post
Hey all,

Finding my first Rolex from and AD without haivng an established relationship is next to impossible so I'll most likely have to overpay. I have 6.5" wrists so models wear bigger at 40mm such as the sub so I may pass on those models but they do fit and they do look fantastic just like any Rolex does. If I can only have one as an everyday wearer I think I'm possibly down to 3. If I am going to overpay, I have to figure out where. They can make their money and I'm OK with that. This is for my first Father's day.

116500 - I like the white wife likes the black. Seems to be the best fit model
116710LN
116710BLNR
116509 - If prices end up too close I may try to find one of these instead. I saw the blue dial on a YM at a local AD and it looked great in person
Are you OK with buying pre-owned? I think you should look for a black dial 116520. Trust me on this one, you are paying something like $5k or more for just a piece of ceramic. The black dial are similar on the two, and it is a watch that should be in the hall of fame!

If you like the GMT, maybe the LN is good value as they are discontinued and hovering around the $10k area. IMHO, the BLNR is a beautiful watch, but not worth double MSRP since you can't find it at an AD.

If you are dead set on a new model from AD, I say venture out a bit from your hometown maybe an hour away and visit a few AD's and see what they may have for you. You never know! We saw a member walk into an AD just yesterday to see a BLRO sitting in the showcase.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 01:31 AM   #12
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHantz View Post
I was thinking the same thing and really recommend a PM Daytona if you are going to be looking at paying grey pricing for the 116500.
In my experience, having a 116509 did not diminish my desire to get a 116500. Perhaps the WG in Oysterflex will work but if a particular model sings to you, just get it and enjoy. Settling for another will only make you want your first choice even more.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 01:47 AM   #13
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:

As someone with the same size wrist I find the Sub wears better than the 39mm Explorer. It’s a lot of dial and looked odd on my wrist.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 02:35 AM   #14
Docaw007
"TRF" Member

I was thinking of the grey or blue dial PM Daytona actually along with the listed I was able to try on a few at a local AD for sizing. I didn't try on the GMT and should have. I did a YM, Sub and Daytona for wrist sizing. Pictures attached. Are any too big?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3300.jpg (64.3 KB, 653 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3301.jpg (70.2 KB, 650 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3302.jpg (72.9 KB, 655 views)
Old 18 June 2019, 02:48 AM   #15
81sforlife
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub & ExpII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docaw007 View Post
I was thinking of the grey or blue dial PM Daytona actually along with the listed I was able to try on a few at a local AD for sizing. I didn't try on the GMT and should have. I did a YM, Sub and Daytona for wrist sizing. Pictures attached. Are any too big?
YM looks best here. However close up photos are not always the best way to determine the perfect size.
Old 18 June 2019, 03:08 AM   #16
Docaw007
"TRF" Member

I should have had the same distance for the pictures I suppose an centered them. I have no idea what I’m doing. Ha
Old 18 June 2019, 06:09 AM   #17
Monte Cristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you...
From those pics and angles YM looks best IMO
Old 18 June 2019, 06:38 AM   #18
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Pictures from this angle are deceiving - always makes the watch look bigger on your wrist than it really appears. I think you might be pushing it with a Sub. To answer your lingering question, a GMT will fit very similarly to a Sub. Case sizes are essentially identical - the Sub will feel a little bigger but that's only because of the thicker case back for higher water resistance.

I think the Daytona and YM I both fit fine. Around this size you could also do an Explorer (not Explorer II) at 39mm or an OP 39mm if either of those interest you and you have second thoughts on paying a high premium to MSRP.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 08:15 AM   #19
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

Seriously? I doubt the photos are distorting the true image that much. I think people don't wish to come across as insulting but clearly your wrist size means you will struggle to carry off the Daytona and possibly the Submariner too. The YM is definitely your best bet and didn't you say you can get one at an AD? Although it's possibly been sold by now. Alternatively, take another look at the full range. A 36mm DJ would look fantastic on that wrist. You'd still have money in the bank. The cost of having a baby is far greater than you may think

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Greg 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 08:31 AM   #20
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

Just be warned. If you get a Daytona, you will never get to wear it. It will be on your wife’s wrist indefinitely.
lamnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 08:44 AM   #21
Docaw007
"TRF" Member

This is the GMT a Batman at a local store. I should have read the posts before the picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 58249696357__149361AD-CDFF-45C5-9E70-FDDFD2421463.jpg (46.7 KB, 371 views)
Old 18 June 2019, 08:44 AM   #22
Little machines
"TRF" Member

YM definitely the best on your wrist also truly enjoy the one you love
Little machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 08:45 AM   #23
Little machines
"TRF" Member

Batman looks great also
Little machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 08:45 AM   #24
mudd
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamnyc View Post
Just be warned. If you get a Daytona, you will never get to wear it. It will be on your wife’s wrist indefinitely.
That happened to me with my white dial. like many others have stated, the YM looks best in my opinion.
mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 08:59 AM   #25
Docaw007
"TRF" Member

Thanks all. The YM is my least favorite for some reason. The Batman was from today.
Old 18 June 2019, 09:22 AM   #26
Anthony808
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:

I recommend this. Exp 1 combines class and sportiness like no other, save maybe a 14060M. Perfect for your wrist size.
Anthony808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 09:26 AM   #27
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jltait View Post
Happy belated Father’s Day. A Rolex is a great gift for sure.
Just a question from outside the US. Is it normal to give partners expensive gifts on Fathers/Mothers Day?

Here we normally gift our actual parents.
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 10:27 AM   #28
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
Just a question from outside the US. Is it normal to give partners expensive gifts on Fathers/Mothers Day?

Here we normally gift our actual parents.
Any excuse for a new Rolex is one gladly taken

As to the OP I would go PM Daytona or the ym blue.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 10:37 AM   #29
Docaw007
"TRF" Member

Thanks all. I was concerned with the sizes on my wrist and the Daytona’s wore the “smallest” to me . I’m not a fan of the YM and prefer the LN gmt but that may not be in the best interest is aesthetics. The dj or explorers to me are nice but just not me. Actually they all are nice.
Old 18 June 2019, 11:06 AM   #30
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I'd check out a 116520 black dial if I were you.. although the batman is a great choice, I love mine.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote