The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 February 2024, 05:05 PM   #1
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Custom Rolex legal ruling

I tried reading it for about 10 minutes and got more confused. Anyone care to explain?

https://www.thefashionlaw.com/swiss-...in-rolex-case/

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 07:30 PM   #2
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
There was a topic some weeks ago about the same kind of infridgement. In this case the key is here:

"Rolex notified the defendant of its infringement, prompting the defendant to limit its customization services to private clients, thereby, doing away with its practice of maintaining a stock of customized watches, which it marketed and resold to consumers via its website."

So, it has never been a question that to customise a watch on a natural person's demand is not against to the law if it has no business part at all, except the actual work on the watch. But to modify watches on a business model, and to sold them with the trademark of the copyright holder is illegal in full, as it infridges the rights of the copyright holder.

It means in short, that a natural person who owns a watch has the right to do anything with this watch. If someone want to ruin it, it is allowed to do even with a help of a legal person.

But no legal person is allowed to do this on its own, mostly without a prior permission of the copyright holder, as it is illegal to run a business model which infridges the trademark holders rights.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 07:36 PM   #3
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Is artisansdegeneve still legal? Have they always been legal given this definition?

So everything is a one-off? Let's say someone customize it a certain way and someone else wants to customize it exactly the same way because they saw it in an Instagram photo. Does that still mean it's legal?

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 07:58 PM   #4
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
As long as a natural person wishes to do this on a one-time basis, exclusively for personal and non-commercial purposes, yes, there may be no obstacle.

So it is not the same:

- to offer on demand modification services for natural persons, in which case the legal person modifies a watch, but that's all, because the watch will be returned to the original owner; or
- to modify watches in a business model on the legal person's deceision, and after this offer them for sale for any kind of persons, including legal or natural persons.

The latter is strictly forbidden by the law. The other one "can be legal", but there is a very narrow line in between the legal and the illegal business if these are offered as business services.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 09:55 PM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
When I think of a natural person I think of a nudist … maybe that’s just me

Carry on
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 09:55 PM   #6
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

Custom Rolex legal ruling

Basically, according to the article, the decision says that if, as a consumer, you buy a Rolex and then send it to be customized, that’s legal. However, these companies cannot themselves buy a bunch of Rolexes, modify them, and offer them for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Topspin14m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 10:31 PM   #7
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

You are not allowed to make custom parts and print the ROLEX brand name on these custom pieces... as of course, they were not made by Rolex. Which should be obvious to anyone.
VonSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 11:52 PM   #8
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
As one who likes to personalize items I've bought and paid for to suit my tastes, this decision by the Swiss Supreme Court is refreshing.
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite, Seiko SSC813 quartz solar powered chronograph
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 12:42 AM   #9
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The case in the OP’s link was in a Swiss court. Only enforceable in that country since they aren’t in the EU. The defendant is enjoined from commercial sales of their product.
The precedent affects like-minded Swiss companies, too.

There are other cases mentioned in the article and they generally conform to the Swiss Fed. Supreme Court’s ruling.

What might confuse some is the concept of selling watches as a product that infringes on trademark versus the concept of customizing a customer’s watch.

The pivot in my view would be this:
- Sell an unmodified Rolex on your website using stock images.
- Offer a SKU in the checkout process as “bespoke” customization.
- Allow buyer to define the work via options on the website.
- Ship from inventory.

The actual ruling is narrow enough to let customizers to continue to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 02:59 AM   #10
Robison347
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Blue dial sub
This ruling is consistent with rulings in other countries, and it has a bearing on many things outside of watches.

In the case of fine cars, watches, or other manufactured products, some people will feel the exclusivity of an expensive product alone is not enough. They want one of a kind. Some manufacturers have custom divisions to accommodate that. Rolls-Royce is a good example of that. But manufacturer customization is generally limited in scope.

That creates an opportunity for individual artisans and shops to create their own interpretations based on standard products. The result may be a futuristic Mercedes G Wagen, or a uniquely bejeweled Rolex Daytona.

What the ruling says is that owners have the right to customize their products as they see fit, and it they get tired of them, they can sell them. The artisan who does the customizing can sign their work, and that’s ok too.

What the artisan cannot do is create a product - an Artisan Daytona - and offer it for sale, because doing so implies an association with the manufacturer/trademark holder that does not exist. Another way to look at this is to say you can’t build a product line on top of someone else’s product in this space. That is totally contrary to the huge market (as one example) for add-on accessories for the iPhone. But in the luxury space, there it is.
Robison347 is offline   Reply With Quote