The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 July 2016, 10:37 PM   #1
Atlanta-Amy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I'm FINALLY ready!

Well…looks like I am finally ready to join the club.. And while that makes me incredibly excited, it also makes me a little nervous and brings up some questions.

Newbie here. So, please excuse the juvenile questions.

I joined here a while back and really wanted a YM. A friend had one and I loved it. Then, the bottom fell out of the market (I’m in real estate) and I decided to wait. And I’m glad I did! Because, while I do love the YM, my heart belongs to the SS White Daytona. And I CAN’T WAIT to give one a home ;)

Out of curiosity I went to Mayor’s at Lenox (here in Atlanta) and was told “we haven’t seen one of those in years.” I don’t know if she was completely blowing me off or if she was serious. So, as a first time Rolex purchaser, what is the best way to go about this? Find an AD - is that experience worth it? Buy one from a TS here? I see there are a few for sale here. But, they have a few scratches and I’m not sure I want that etc.

Any and all help/guidance is appreciated. You guys are the best!

Atlanta-Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2016, 11:03 PM   #2
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
For sure, at this stage, based on what you wrote contact a trusted seller here. There are quite a few exceptional choices to pick from.

The AD's love to play the Daytona game. unless you've got an existing relationship, which sounds like you don't, you will always lose that game.

Call David and enjoy the ease of the transaction.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2016, 11:24 PM   #3
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
Congratulations on choosing the Daytona. My wife wears a white one and it looks beautiful on her. I assume you are looking for the now discontinued stainless non ceramic Daytona 116520 model number. As Rolex just released the new ceramic Daytona model 116500, the older model may be hard to find in a big city in new condition.

I would suggest looking at Rolex for a list of Authorized Dealers (AD's) and call around to see if someone still has one in stock. I was in a retailer in Austin a month ago and they had both black and white 116520's in the display case. Otherwise, you can easily find one here on the for sale forum from a trusted seller but brand new condition are slready selling for a premium here. Although the premium a trusted seller may charge shouldn't be more than the sales tax you would pay in a store.

If you want the new ceramic model, you may have to wait several more years if you don't want to pay a huge premium.

So which do you want? Black or White dial? 116520 or 116500?
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2016, 11:27 PM   #4
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
For sure, at this stage, based on what you wrote contact a trusted seller here. There are quite a few exceptional choices to pick from.

The AD's love to play the Daytona game. unless you've got an existing relationship, which sounds like you don't, you will always lose that game.

Call David and enjoy the ease of the transaction.
Yes, go with a TS but wait for the right piece that looks pristine, you've waited this long so no rush. Also call up a whole bunch of ADs and just say you are ready to buy right now, never know your luck.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2016, 11:27 PM   #5
jmed
"TRF" Member

I've been to that Mayors on numerous occasions, never been super happy with the their "friendliness". Try Brown and Co. They have 2 locations, one super large store, in Roswell. As stated, I would also check out DAVIDSW, he usually has a great selection and great prices.
jmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2016, 11:31 PM   #6
Atlanta-Amy
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone. I sent David a PM. And I am interested in the now discontinued 116520. How they could discontinue that one is beyond me. I think it is leaps and bounds more beautiful than the new ceramic version - although maybe it will grow on me...
Old 31 July 2016, 11:32 PM   #7
rle737ng
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Go to Brown & Co. Ask for Meg. They have had them in the past. They are discontinued but may have one in the back.
rle737ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2016, 11:34 PM   #8
Atlanta-Amy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rle737ng View Post
Go to Brown & Co. Ask for Meg. They have had them in the past. They are discontinued but may have one in the back.
Will do. Thanks!
Old 31 July 2016, 11:46 PM   #9
judson
"TRF" Member

Watch: changes depending
I went to my local AD, Ware Jewelers , locations in Auburn, Spanish Fort and Montgomery Alabama, they had a white one in stock. Someone ordered it from out of town, they took off the stickers and sent the watch. The buyer returned it because they had removed the stickers. You might give them a call.

It was my sales guy that did it, he felt terrible. Might work out for you though.

Last edited by judson; 31 July 2016 at 11:48 PM.. Reason: Wording
judson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2016, 11:54 PM   #10
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Amy, don't waste your time at that Mayors again the people there are clueless. You also might want to call Tara Fine Jewelry in Buford. They are good people.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2016, 11:58 PM   #11
Atlanta-Amy
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the leads! Much appreciated. And, yeah, I won't be spending any money at that Mayors any time soon.
Old 1 August 2016, 12:36 AM   #12
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
There is a few brand new 116520s in the for sale section
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2016, 12:37 AM   #13
Robb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR
Amy. Ive bought a watch at that Mayors back in 2007. There is one saleslady that is great there. The others don't have a clue. With that being said, they all play the Daytona game. If they do have one, it will be in the safe for their "best" clients. I would go with a trusted seller here. Good luck!
Old 1 August 2016, 12:51 AM   #14
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
Great choice Amy. I agree with the above and try calling around. Since its your first, you might enjoy the AD experience. Also check with the TS's here.

I can personally recommend Thanh Do aka Takuya. I've made several flawless transactions with him last year. Just tell him what your looking for and I'm sure he will track one down.

Good luck with the hunt.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2016, 01:14 AM   #15
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Nice choice Amy! As said above, you can buy a BNIB or a mint white Daytona 116520 from one of our trusted sellers in the forum. Everyone praise DavidSW, but there a quite a few other good ones as well (Takuya, Lawrenceb, AU_911tt, OCROLEX, Ponycar350, Sohail/Sohais, Justrolexes to name a few). Good luck in your search and post a picture when you get it!
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2016, 01:17 AM   #16
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Amy View Post
Thanks everyone. I sent David a PM. And I am interested in the now discontinued 116520. How they could discontinue that one is beyond me. I think it is leaps and bounds more beautiful than the new ceramic version - although maybe it will grow on me...
Damn....Amy just dissed the Daytona 500. Heresy!!
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2016, 01:20 AM   #17
MSMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes
Ive been to the Mayor's at Lenox several times, and while their selection is OK, i've had a better experience at the Mayor's in North Point (their selection is smaller, but they can look up the entire Mayor's inventory; one of their salespersons actually offered to retrieve a Rolex from Lenox to bring to North Point for me). If you're set on purchasing through an AD, consider North Point or even Brown & Co. Good luck on your search!
MSMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2016, 01:45 AM   #18
returntorolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Jackie Stewart DD
Amy,

Best of luck in your search - the hunt is half the fun!!
Old 1 August 2016, 03:32 AM   #19
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by rle737ng View Post
X2. Another place to go here (ATL) is SwissWatch Expo. They are good people, and have a fairly good selection on hand. Good luck, and don't forget to post pics once you've pulled the trigger.
Old 1 August 2016, 03:50 AM   #20
Masteryacht
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16622,BLNR,116500
My local AD has a black dial in stock if that's any help to you. I'm in SC.
Masteryacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2016, 03:51 AM   #21
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
I used to live in Atlanta and bought a new sub from Jared (Barrett Parkway location). I don't know if Jared are still an AD. The selection was good and the person staffing the Rolex counter was friendly and knowledgeable about her product.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2016, 04:31 AM   #22
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
Trusted seller should be the easiest way to go, but if you are willing to travel to northeast Florida I know one of the ADs here had one in stock a few weeks ago.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2016, 05:31 AM   #23
jmed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by judson View Post
I went to my local AD, Ware Jewelers , locations in Auburn, Spanish Fort and Montgomery Alabama, they had a white one in stock. Someone ordered it from out of town, they took off the stickers and sent the watch. The buyer returned it because they had removed the stickers. You might give them a call.

It was my sales guy that did it, he felt terrible. Might work out for you though.
Can't go wrong here either, Amy, bought my DeepSea from the Auburn location on college street, a great family run business, super nice people.
jmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2016, 09:26 AM   #24
AJM914
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Good luck! Might have the best luck on TRF
AJM914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2016, 09:30 AM   #25
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
I'm FINALLY ready!

Cheers! I hope you find one soon!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2016, 10:38 AM   #26
carwash66

Watch: Rolex/Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Amy, don't waste your time at that Mayors again the people there are clueless. You also might want to call Tara Fine Jewelry in Buford. They are good people.
Great advice. Knowledgeable and friendly.
Old 1 August 2016, 10:51 AM   #27
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
116520 is a great choice but I'd go with the the black dial.

As for where to buy, I'd go AD for your first. I can't really comment on US dealers but one thing I will say is avoid Tourneau in Atlanta like bubonic plague. My wife went in there recently and they were clueless as well as exceptionally unhelpful. In fact, from what I've read on here I'd avoid any Tourneau like bubonic plague.

Good luck

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2016, 11:05 AM   #28
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats on getting ready to pull the trigger.
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2016, 11:15 AM   #29
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Sounds like you want a new watch. Contact a few ADs and I'm sure you'll find one. The TS route can be hit or miss and some times more expensive than from an AD, be patient and I'm sure a great example will turn up. In many cases an AD will order one for you, sourcing it from either Rolex or their network.

Enjoy the hunt, it's often the most exciting part of the hobby!
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2016, 11:26 AM   #30
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Having an AD experience isn't without merit. However, from my reading of LOTS of posts here, most would trade that experience for the ease and better prices from trusted sellers. I went the AD route for my first but can't imagine not going trusted seller for all the ones that follow. Congrats in advance on the acquisition!
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote