The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 6 October 2020, 11:19 PM   #31
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
I'm not a fan of the new 50th anniversary release. The snoopy cartoon at 9 o'clock on the newest/current release is a little too much of an eye sore.

However, the previous silver snoopy design is one of my all time favorites of any speedmaster release. The snoopy is very muted on the front, tasteful design overall, great collector piece. Too bad its nearly unobtainable at today's market prices.

Though in looking at this watch I do have one complaint, and it's a complaint I share with the new version. Why did they use a white hand on the 9 subdial? All the others are black. The new one they use a blue hand on the 9 and white on the 3 and 6. Throws off the symmetry and I don't see the need. Drives my OCD side crazy. I like on the 45th they were able to put the Snoopy character on there but the watch still feels balanced. The new one does not accomplish that, similar to the Buzz butt.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 12:08 AM   #32
DTNSS
"TRF" Member

I don’t know. The 45th seems playing to me now ��. I prefer the new one now.
DTNSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 01:04 AM   #33
dchernikoff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
It’s an interesting backstory. Watch the video for this watch release and it explains it well.

TLDR the comic creator liked NASA and the Apollo program
And let them use the Snoopy character for free. NASA has a silver snoopy award that they give out to people who contributed to the program including the Omega watch company. Coincidentally 50 years today they gave it to Omega.
Plus the Peanuts comic strip characters, and especially Snoopy, were super popular back then. They were everywhere, and Charles Schultz must have made millions on merchandising. Snoopy was a cultural icon (and still is but not nearly to the same magnitude) and that's why NASA was thrilled to pick him as mascott. Schultz's characters were the "voice" of the 70's in so many ways.

-Dan
"Wear the watch, don't let the watch wear you!"
dchernikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 02:54 AM   #34
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I never get how people get upset over nicknames but having the actual character on the watch such as Snoopy would kill it for me as far as ever wearing one.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 02:58 AM   #35
DTNSS
"TRF" Member

DTNSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 03:21 AM   #36
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
I never get how people get upset over nicknames but having the actual character on the watch such as Snoopy would kill it for me as far as ever wearing one.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Exactly!
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 03:57 AM   #37
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I turned down the one with the butt on the subdial as I didn’t like that one for sure. I look at the white dial from 2015 and see snoopy, then a bubble text, then a saying on the dial about 14 seconds. I see that as just as much noise, if not more tbh, yeah more. You have a valid point and certainly its your pref but I don’t see this blue one as any more “gimmicky” than the 50k white one or whatever
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 01:45 PM   #38
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
It’s an interesting backstory. Watch the video for this watch release and it explains it well.

TLDR the comic creator liked NASA and the Apollo program
And let them use the Snoopy character for free. NASA has a silver snoopy award that they give out to people who contributed to the program including the Omega watch company. Coincidentally 50 years today they gave it to Omega.

Thank you! I’ll have to read up on that. I knew it was space related but hadn’t taken the time to learn more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote