The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 May 2017, 11:26 PM   #1
Nyc27000
"TRF" Member

Everest or RubberB for my sized wrist?

Hi all, I'd love to get your advice. I'm looking to get a rubber strap for my 114060 SubC. I have a 6.5" wrist (4x4 links). I like the look of the Everest better but in doing research it seems that the Everest curves or flares out more to the side while the RubberB bends pretty much straight down.

I can see how the curve/flare of the Everest would be better for those with bigger wrists but I'm concerned that the flaring may mean not as secure a fit as the lugs pretty much go to the end of my wrist.

Attached is a pic of how the bracelet wraps around my wrist, which based on pictures suggests the RubberB is the better - I just don't prefer the look!

Any comments on fit due to the curve/flare on the Everest or lack thereof on the RubberB from owners with the same size wrist would be much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57A3E3A0-9C74-4142-A606-B858DC4A166D.jpg (41.0 KB, 1077 views)
Nyc27000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 11:29 PM   #2
ejvette
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
Those straps are extremely flexible and comfortable I don't think you would have a problem but call up Everest customer service and discuss your concerns give them your wrist measurements they are really super people to talk to

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 12:16 AM   #3
vancanfanedm
"TRF" Member

I'm interested to hear from people that have them.. I've been eyeing them for my 143000 but $225 USD is pretty steep for us poor Canadian's

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk
vancanfanedm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 01:09 AM   #4
cmajpwc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 1
For reference I have a similar wrist circumference to you (6.5-7"). I have a flatter wrist however.

I have the Everest rubber (both tang buckle and deployment clasp styles). While I love both of my Everest straps, I don't think I'd recommend either for your wrist.

I think the flare out on either side would make the watch fit poorly. I would say go with RubberB for the best fit. I agree Everest looks better and the rubber is a higher quality than RubberB, but I don't think Everest would fit on your wrist that well.

Another option other than rubber straps could be a nato strap. Have you considered that? Or maybe perlon?
cmajpwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 01:36 AM   #5
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
but call up Everest customer service and discuss your concerns give them your wrist measurements they are really super people to talk to
I called Everest with the exact same concerns before I bought an alligator strap. They assured me that it would fit my 6.75" wrists. It did not fit. The holes go tight enough, but the angle of the strap out of the case left it fitting like an oval and not touching the sides of my wrists. I found Everest's customer service unfailingly pleasant and polite but not actually very helpful, and they gave me incorrect information several times. That quite expensive strap now sits in a drawer.

(I wrote the same thing in another thread yesterday, so if you read that be aware that it's just one negative story and not two.)
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 04:08 AM   #6
sanosan34
"TRF" Member

I agree with everyone above. Rubber B for 6.5" or smaller wrists is the way to go.

I also think Rubber B looks better than Everest! Everest has a puffy, bulging look while RB is sleek and sharp.
sanosan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 04:19 AM   #7
sanosan34
"TRF" Member

Sorry for the blurry pic, but this is a Rubber B on GMTc and 6.5" wrist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1034.jpg (50.5 KB, 994 views)
Old 24 May 2017, 04:58 AM   #8
Nyc27000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanosan34 View Post
Sorry for the blurry pic, but this is a Rubber B on GMTc and 6.5" wrist.
thanks guys for all the comments; looks like RubberB it is.

Sanosan34 this is exactly the kind of pic I was hoping to see, thank you so much.

It looks like you have the tang buckle and that the strap is not too long that there is significant overlap? You may have persuaded me to get the tang instead of the deployant. Do you have any pics looking down at the dial which would shows how much strap overlap you can actually see?

Thanks again
Old 24 May 2017, 06:47 AM   #9
AndyWright
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deepsea
Good Eye

I must agree with the last gentleman. I just don't understand why people cannot see the difference in details between the rubber b strap and everest ones, that scream out to me. I work in the automobile industry (engineering conversion to media graphics), and so little design flaws stick out to my eyes like a soar thumb. And that is exactly what everest straps look like- a soar thumb. They're bulky and every picture I see of them looks like the strap is bulging at the lugs from a bad fit. The edges are not sharp and also look like mush. The fit up around the bezel is weird and they just look chinese to me. Anyone choosing everest over rubber b is probably the type of guy who likes black toilets, or is willing to buy a weird tone of brown car because it has a better price tag. lol

Heres a pic of everest that I saw on instagram the other day (RED)... and a Rubber B strap (black with green line). One and the other have nothing to do with each other bro!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6580.jpg (78.7 KB, 961 views)
File Type: jpg submariner strap.jpg (62.5 KB, 957 views)
AndyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 08:32 AM   #10
Shaky
"TRF" Member

I keep mulling over having a rubber strap for my watch.

I have to say the Rubberb straps always look sharper than the Everest ones. I have seen Ł30 straps on eBay and they look similar.
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 09:08 AM   #11
sanosan34
"TRF" Member

Here you go. This is utilizing the third from smallest hole.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1040.jpg (74.6 KB, 927 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1041.jpg (58.7 KB, 923 views)
Old 24 May 2017, 09:14 AM   #12
sanosan34
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
I have seen Ł30 straps on eBay and they look similar.
Beware the counterfeit Rubber B on ebay. It is stamped Rubber B but the quality is noticeably inferior and in some cases do not fit on the case properly.
Old 24 May 2017, 10:23 AM   #13
Pattyb69
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR|LVC|PAM 911
Personally- I don't like how the Rubber B strap comes straight down. I have a very flat wrist so it clamps on my wrist bones creating lift and makes the watch hover over my wrist. Everests more rounded/curved straps wrap around my wrist nicely and get the watch to stay flat on my wrist.

I love Everests deployant rubber. Why don't you give their 4x4 deployant rubber a try? It's easy to go back and forth. I also noticed your in NYC. Pretty sure I saw Everest has a few ADs there. You could check out the strap in person to see how you like it.
Pattyb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 02:18 PM   #14
manhattanproj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWright View Post
The fit up around the bezel is weird and they just look chinese to me.
2017 and this numbwit still talks like he's in imperialist age.

do yourself a favor and hit up an apple store before you post again. while there have the genius help you sign up for an english lesson.
manhattanproj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 02:23 PM   #15
IT Nerd
"TRF" Member

Watch: me flip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyb69 View Post
Personally- I don't like how the Rubber B strap comes straight down. I have a very flat wrist so it clamps on my wrist bones creating lift and makes the watch hover over my wrist.
+1. Not comfortable at all on my wrist as well. I also don't like the way that their bands taper from wide to narrow, at least on the ExpII / DJ2 bands, plus the design doesn't allow for the use of the EasyLink adjustment
IT Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 03:37 PM   #16
Nyc27000
"TRF" Member

Duplicate post
Old 24 May 2017, 03:39 PM   #17
Nyc27000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanosan34 View Post
Here you go. This is utilizing the third from smallest hole.
Thanks! Not too much overlap at all, by probably enough that I'll go deployant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyb69 View Post
Personally- I don't like how the Rubber B strap comes straight down. I have a very flat wrist so it clamps on my wrist bones creating lift and makes the watch hover over my wrist. Everests more rounded/curved straps wrap around my wrist nicely and get the watch to stay flat on my wrist.

I love Everests deployant rubber. Why don't you give their 4x4 deployant rubber a try? It's easy to go back and forth. I also noticed your in NYC. Pretty sure I saw Everest has a few ADs there. You could check out the strap in person to see how you like it.
How big is your wrist though? If bigger than 6.5" where the lugs don't reach the sides of your wrist I would agree with you but as you can see from my first picture the lugs do reach the sides of my wrist and the bracelet already goes straight down, suggesting the Rubber B lack of flare isn't an issue and that the curve of the Everest would be an issue. This was what I originally wanted to confirm.

Yes I looked at them in person, unfortunately I haven't seen any mounted on a watch so hard to judge the actual fit. I was actually just about to pull the trigger on the 4 x 4 until this issue came to mind.

I didn't ask the AD to mount in order to try out because I wouldn't trust any of them to do it without scratching a lug or worse. Both Everest and Rubber B's return policy suggests that if you mount the strap you cannot return it - not sure why but it means I can't just order both and send back the one that doesn't fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT Nerd View Post
+1. Not comfortable at all on my wrist as well. I also don't like the way that their bands taper from wide to narrow, at least on the ExpII / DJ2 bands, plus the design doesn't allow for the use of the EasyLink adjustment
What size is your wrist? Seems that is a key in determining how comfortable each strap is.
Old 24 May 2017, 03:51 PM   #18
nursejm
Banned

Watch: Rolex, PAM, Tag.
Everest or RubberB for my sized wrist?

I have a 6.25 wrist.. here's how Everest looks on my 114060.

I wear mine at 2nd or 3rd to the last hole..

Best regards,
nursejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 04:07 PM   #19
Nyc27000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursejm View Post
I have a 6.25 wrist.. here's how Everest looks on my 114060.

I wear mine at 2nd or 3rd to the last hole..

Best regards,
Great shots thank you! There certainly seems to be a lot of space created by the strap where it meets the watch whereas Sanosan34's pic of his Rubber B shows no such gaps and therefore a seemingly better fit.

Even with the gaps Of the Everest, does the watch feel secure on your wrist or does it wiggle around?
Old 24 May 2017, 04:15 PM   #20
nursejm
Banned

Watch: Rolex, PAM, Tag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc27000 View Post
Great shots thank you! There certainly seems to be a lot of space created by the strap where it meets the watch whereas Sanosan34's pic of his Rubber B shows no such gaps and therefore a seemingly better fit.

Even with the gaps Of the Everest, does the watch feel secure on your wrist or does it wiggle around?

If i use the 2nd to the last hole it fits snugly no movement, but sometimes when my skin swells at hot weather i put it on 3rd to the last hole there is a minimal movement.

Sanosan34 wrist maybe is more muscular, that's why there is no gap. All my rubber strap (tag heuer rubber, panerai rubber) always a gap exists, it depends on your wrist anatomical configuration (muscular or non muscular) i think i should do more wrist weights exercises LoL.

Best regards,
nursejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 07:01 PM   #21
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Hi all, I'd love to get your advice. I'm looking to get a rubber strap for my 114060 SubC. I have a 6.5" wrist (4x4 links). I like the look of the Everest better but in doing research it seems that the Everest curves or flares out more to the side while the RubberB bends pretty much straight down.

I can see how the curve/flare of the Everest would be better for those with bigger wrists but I'm concerned that the flaring may mean not as secure a fit as the lugs pretty much go to the end of my wrist.

Attached is a pic of how the bracelet wraps around my wrist, which based on pictures suggests the RubberB is the better - I just don't prefer the look!

Any comments on fit due to the curve/flare on the Everest or lack thereof on the RubberB from owners with the same size wrist would be much appreciated.
Rubber B without a doubt will be the better strap for your wrist.

I had two now and they've been excellent.

PS - you can easily use the easylink or glidelock with deployant Rubber B straps - you just have to notch the 12 o'clock side accordingly. There's posts on here about it too.

PPS - As you have a sub you can buy the glidelock version anyway, but I'd probably go for the tang buckle version this time (and will be doing just that for my sub). My last two were deployant straps as they were on a PM Daytona.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 07:13 PM   #22
cdm765
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I bought an Everest and had it on for 3 days. This was 4 months ago...

I would give it time before replacing the oyster bracelet. Rubber does not stack up.
cdm765 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 06:47 AM   #23
Pattyb69
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR|LVC|PAM 911
Quote:
Thanks! Not too much overlap at all, by probably enough that I'll go deployant

How big is your wrist though? If bigger than 6.5" where the lugs don't reach the sides of your wrist I would agree with you but as you can see from my first picture the lugs do reach the sides of my wrist and the bracelet already goes straight down, suggesting the Rubber B lack of flare isn't an issue and that the curve of the Everest would be an issue. This was what I originally wanted to confirm.

Yes I looked at them in person, unfortunately I haven't seen any mounted on a watch so hard to judge the actual fit. I was actually just about to pull the trigger on the 4 x 4 until this issue came to mind.

I didn't ask the AD to mount in order to try out because I wouldn't trust any of them to do it without scratching a lug or worse. Both Everest and Rubber B's return policy suggests that if you mount the strap you cannot return it - not sure why but it means I can't just order both and send back the one that doesn't fit.

What size is your wrist? Seems that is a key in determining how comfortable each strap is.

I have 7 1/4 inch wrist. I own both deployant and tang buckle everest straps and they fit a bit differently. Personally, I think the 4x4 set up on your wrist size will fit perfectly. It shouldn't flare out too far and sit comfortably. Tang buckle version might be a tad too long for you and have a bit of extra tongue
Pattyb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 11:10 AM   #24
Nyc27000
"TRF" Member

Update:

So after seeing the pics by Sanosan34, I was inclined to go with Rubber B but still wasn't sure as I just didn't prefer the look vs. the Everest in pictures. Luckily, I was able to go to one of the Everest dealers and have them put on the tang buckle version on a 5 digit sub they had in store. As I feared, the strap flare was way too much and even on the smallest hole, was way too big. In addition, by using the smallest hole, the strap wrapped almost all the way to the watch head on the 12 o'clock side, which was also deal breaker for the tang buckle style.

I bit the bullet and bought the Rubber B Xsmall (5x5 links including the end links, which is equivalent to the Everest 4x4 size (Everest doesn't count the end links) to use with the deployant and keep the look clean.

I ordered the Horofix spring bar pliers which came today and I was able to install. This was my first time changing any bracelet on a watch and I was really nervous, and taped the lugs. Taking off the oyster proved to be simple, installing the Rubber B was a different story. The Horofix made compressing both sides of the spring bar really easy but as I tried to move/wiggle the watch head into position, the spring bar kept coming loose and popping out of the Horofix'a grip. Even though my lugs were taped, I caused minor damage on the top of two lugs when the spring bar popped out as it basically was damaging the very edge of the lugs and thus was pushing the edge of the tape as it sprang out. The 12'oclock side only took several attempts but the 6 o'clock side was much harder. Several times I was able to get one side of the spring bar engaged but couldn't get the other side into position, resulting in the one side popping all the way out and having to start over. I started thinking maybe the strap was just a bit off its manufacture, resulting in a misalignment of its holes.

Finally, success!! In my relief and haste to attach the deployant, I attached the safety lock side with the safety lock on the inside and not outside of the band, forcing me to unscrew and do it again. Finally, after about 45 minutes, everything was complete.

I'm really impressed with the fit. As hoped for, the lack of flare provides a much better fit. I also appreciate that the strap tapers, unlike the Everest, and mimics the taper of they oyster bracelet. The lack of taper on the Everest just made it humongous on my wrist.

Unfortunately I'm getting an error when trying to post pics, will try to do so later.

Thanks for all the comments/advice!
Old 27 May 2017, 11:56 AM   #25
kelv_w
"TRF" Member

I just found a video showing the installation of the Rubber B. He made it look so simple but I did find he struggle a little bit with the GMT II band whereas the EX II fits easier?

GMT II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx2iBdqp5ZI

EX II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yPRKR9sxvQ
kelv_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 12:06 PM   #26
Nyc27000
"TRF" Member

Now with some experience, I can see how his technique makes sense. Pretty much no way he can end up scratching the top of the lug like I did. Lesson learned: spring bar pliers work well for removal. Get single spring bar tool for install.
Old 27 May 2017, 12:06 PM   #27
Blue_Lume
Banned

Watch: Alleen Rolex
you tried the everest on tang, said it was too long and bought rubber b on deployant clasp? is that right?

the tang buckle is long for people with small wrists. even when i give myself an extra hole i still have some hang over.

but you should have tried equal straps in deployant before you pulled the trigger.

oh well - good luck!
Blue_Lume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 12:21 PM   #28
Nyc27000
"TRF" Member

Yes that's right. That's all they had to try so didn't have a choice. I was more interested in checking out the flare on my wrist and it was way too much. No such issue on the Rubber B. I'm loving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Lume View Post
you tried the everest on tang, said it was too long and bought rubber b on deployant clasp? is that right?

the tang buckle is long for people with small wrists. even when i give myself an extra hole i still have some hang over.

but you should have tried equal straps in deployant before you pulled the trigger.

oh well - good luck!
Old 27 May 2017, 12:25 PM   #29
kelv_w
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Now with some experience, I can see how his technique makes sense. Pretty much no way he can end up scratching the top of the lug like I did. Lesson learned: spring bar pliers work well for removal. Get single spring bar tool for install.
I thought so too. Is that why so many people are struggling with the spring bar pliears installation method?
kelv_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 12:54 PM   #30
v6inspire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
I can't speak on the quality and fitment of the RubberB strap since I've never owned one. I do own an Everest Strap and I love the perfect fit. It's comfortable, allows the wrist to breath and it fits the contour of my wrist.
v6inspire is offline   Reply With Quote