The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 19 September 2020, 01:53 AM   #91
wesdaniel
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
So, I'm curious how people feel about watches like the Maurice LaCroix Aikon Automatic?

It's not an exact replica of the AP RO, but, it's clearly an "homage" to it. It's designed to have a lot of the same design features and appearances of it, but also brings in some influence of the Omega Constellation.

Heck, even the Hublot could be considered an homage to the AP RO.

So, are these seen as being blatant ripoffs, ripoffs but slightly less blatant or are these seen as being "homage" to the originals?

I have the Aikon Automatic and actually enjoy it.

wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 02:48 AM   #92
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdaniel View Post
So, I'm curious how people feel about watches like the Maurice LaCroix Aikon Automatic?

It's not an exact replica of the AP RO, but, it's clearly an "homage" to it. It's designed to have a lot of the same design features and appearances of it, but also brings in some influence of the Omega Constellation.

So, are these seen as being blatant ripoffs, ripoffs but slightly less blatant or are these seen as being "homage" to the originals?

I think that's a good point and as some have illustrated there are a lot of watches that copied other watches through the years but I'd argue that there is a direct copy rip off and then there are watches that are similar.

The initial ones in the thread are all rip offs by someone cashing in on stolen design.

There are only so many ways to design a watch unless your name is Mr Busser and perhaps Vianney Halter and a few others, so there are going to be similarities in design. The one you mentioned could perhaps be called reminiscence of X or have a lot of design elements as Y.

But there is little doubt the initial ones in the thread are not that.

And as for the pretense of using a word like "homage" it's like getting beaten up by someone and calling the cops, and the guys says, it wasn't a beating, I was just giving him a massage.

Like, the it's not a bug it's a feature mentality.
Old 19 September 2020, 03:00 AM   #93
socialpro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex || Panerai
All of the homages just look like replicas to me with a different logo. NO way i'd be able to own / wear one, but that's just me. Def a time and a place for them for certain people.

Prior to getting into luxury brands the only watches I would buy would be fashion brands that look like nothing else out there.
socialpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 03:19 AM   #94
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
I personally see nothing wrong with these type of pieces, I would never try to pass it off as say a Submariner or similar, I buy a watch based on looks, function and price of course
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 03:55 AM   #95
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I wrote a review here (in the proper forum) on a homage, the Davosa diver.

I did a lot of research before buying, and Davosa is considered one of the "better" homage brands. It has a decent ETA movement, very nice finishing, and wears well.

To me, if fits somewhere between the 16610 and 116610 in case size and bracelet manufacturing. I actually prefer their slightly softer brushed finish to Rolex's finishing. Blasphemy, I know. LOL

The thing I like about it is that when I got it, it was running way fast. I had no compunction about tearing off the case back and fiddling around with the movement until I got it regulated. I'd never do that to my Rolex. Now that I've done it, I've bought the proper tools and will try it on my Speedmaster.

And the Davosa is now running +- 1 sec/day. That's Rolex territory.

The Davosa is (AFAIK) German made out of Swiss parts.

The San Martin others have mentioned has me intrigued, thanks for that.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 05:42 AM   #96
Rolex74
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD DJII PAM 005
I have had the San Martin a couple days and it is a nice watch and well built. I bought mine from eBay, $249, the seller is supposed to be getting 2 tone in Oct and GMT's

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
I wrote a review here (in the proper forum) on a homage, the Davosa diver.

I did a lot of research before buying, and Davosa is considered one of the "better" homage brands. It has a decent ETA movement, very nice finishing, and wears well.

To me, if fits somewhere between the 16610 and 116610 in case size and bracelet manufacturing. I actually prefer their slightly softer brushed finish to Rolex's finishing. Blasphemy, I know. LOL

The thing I like about it is that when I got it, it was running way fast. I had no compunction about tearing off the case back and fiddling around with the movement until I got it regulated. I'd never do that to my Rolex. Now that I've done it, I've bought the proper tools and will try it on my Speedmaster.

And the Davosa is now running +- 1 sec/day. That's Rolex territory.

The Davosa is (AFAIK) German made out of Swiss parts.

The San Martin others have mentioned has me intrigued, thanks for that.
Rolex74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 08:21 AM   #97
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN, 16800
I have visceral dislike of things which are artificial. I can’t explain it. I hate wooden beams that are non-weight-bearing. I hate artificial flavors. I hate exterior foam molding and fake stucco.

I hate homage watches simply because they are not the real thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 08:35 AM   #98
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdaniel View Post

That to me is a homage, rather than a replica using a different name on the dial.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 08:36 AM   #99
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_S_SHOE View Post
I have visceral dislike of things which are artificial. I can’t explain it. I hate wooden beams that are non-weight-bearing. I hate artificial flavors. I hate exterior foam molding and fake stucco.

The main one for me is faked or stamped exotic leather / Artico leather.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 08:53 AM   #100
Rolex74
"TRF" Member

It looks like Ginault is taking preorders for the newest sub with ceramic bezel.

SPECIFICATIONS:

40mm pre-ceramic style case, chamfered lugs, no holes (hand finished)
high-gloss enamel dial, forged applied indices (hand assembled)
beveled sword hour/minute hands, custom Ginault red-second hand
Sellita SW200-1/ETA 2824-2, 5 positions 6-week regulated
ceramic insert, engraved, 60min full graduation, lume pip at 12 o'clock (if you prefer the classic look, aluminum inserts seen on our OR-1 can be mounted upon request)
gen II bezel assembly, structurally redesigned for the most amazing turning and tactile feedback, the outer ring is slightly re-profiled with slightly deeper and sharper teeth for a better grip
triple-layer, optometry grade (clear coating, no blue-hue) anti-reflective sapphire
gen II 94530G bracelet, tighter mid-link tolerance, slightly re-profiled clasp for enhanced comfort and durability, 3 x 3 permanent link design allows a perfect fit even for the slender wrist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ginault Ceramic 4.jpg (147.7 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg Ginault Ceramic 3.jpg (152.6 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg Ginault Ceramic 2.jpg (154.2 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg Ginault Ceramic 1.jpg (186.8 KB, 170 views)
Old 19 September 2020, 11:21 AM   #101
DavidRT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by L_S_SHOE View Post

I agree with this and I know that I'm superficial enough that if somebody were to compliment me on my nice (insert what watch the homage is trying to pretend to be) and I were to let them see it closer or have to correct them since it's a Steinhart or whatnot - I would hate to have that conversation.
DavidRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 11:23 AM   #102
DavidRT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex74 View Post
It looks like Ginault is taking preorders for the newest sub with ceramic bezel.

SPECIFICATIONS:

40mm pre-ceramic style case, chamfered lugs, no holes (hand finished)
high-gloss enamel dial, forged applied indices (hand assembled)
beveled sword hour/minute hands, custom Ginault red-second hand
Sellita SW200-1/ETA 2824-2, 5 positions 6-week regulated
ceramic insert, engraved, 60min full graduation, lume pip at 12 o'clock (if you prefer the classic look, aluminum inserts seen on our OR-1 can be mounted upon request)
gen II bezel assembly, structurally redesigned for the most amazing turning and tactile feedback, the outer ring is slightly re-profiled with slightly deeper and sharper teeth for a better grip
triple-layer, optometry grade (clear coating, no blue-hue) anti-reflective sapphire
gen II 94530G bracelet, tighter mid-link tolerance, slightly re-profiled clasp for enhanced comfort and durability, 3 x 3 permanent link design allows a perfect fit even for the slender wrist.
Another issue - brands that do blatant "homage" or "replica" of the obvious Submariner, etc. are not inventing anything, rather just creating a cheaper version of something... I'd rather they try to not leech off successful designs and do their own thing.. that's more interesting.
DavidRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2020, 10:28 PM   #103
Sperry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
MKII GMT by one of the revered watch makers - Bill Yao
A great engineer indeed!

I'm waiting on an all-18K white gold 34mm pre-Supercase Air King homage ... But it may be quicker to contract Rolex to make me a hundred of them for family and closest friends. With extra 18k links and link screws for certain extra-girth'd relatives.
Sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 11:32 PM   #104
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
A pal of mine told me that Rolex have recently released an Anniversary Submariner homage watch.
Old 27 September 2020, 11:35 PM   #105
Drdubzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: BB58, BB36
Homages aren't my thing, but they're fine. It's the replicas/fakes that get me.

You want a Steinhart? Wear it with pride. You want a fake Rolex, f you
Old 28 September 2020, 12:18 AM   #106
Rolex74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drdubzz View Post
Homages aren't my thing, but they're fine. It's the replicas/fakes that get me.

You want a Steinhart? Wear it with pride. You want a fake Rolex, f you
I would agree with you, Homages have their place, fakes are just a big NO.

My Dad has a GMT Pepsi that he bought in 1998, wears it everyday and I had it serviced about 6-7 years ago, I just got him a Parnis GMT Pepsi with a cemiac bezel to wear when he is out working in the yard, cutting grass, etc, I don't want to see the Rolex take a beating, the Parnis was $68 so if he breaks it no biggie.
Old 3 October 2020, 04:41 AM   #107
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
So, based on the comments here, I bought a San Martin. Surprisingly got it rather quickly (from China) and first impressions were good.

Then I put it on. OMG, what a piece of crap. Edges are sharp, as in painful, the movement feels like it is full of sand, and it's several minutes fast per day.

Bah. Garbage. What was I thinking?

It has now stopped running.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 09:59 AM   #108
Rolex74
"TRF" Member

You must have received a really bad one or something, mine is not like that at all. I bought mine from a USA seller on eBay, not one issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
So, based on the comments here, I bought a San Martin. Surprisingly got it rather quickly (from China) and first impressions were good.

Then I put it on. OMG, what a piece of crap. Edges are sharp, as in painful, the movement feels like it is full of sand, and it's several minutes fast per day.

Bah. Garbage. What was I thinking?

It has now stopped running.