The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 21 December 2021, 02:23 AM   #1
just1time
"TRF" Member

Flying to AP Store in NY

Got frustrated with the lack of AP presence in Canada.
So I picked up the phone and called the AP store in NY.

Some nice rep talked to me. He acknowledged how frustrating it must be for Canadians.

After a few mins of banter, He suggested I come visit to start a relationship with them and with a little bit of patience, I should be able to start my journey with AP. He pencilled me in for an appointment with a dedicated rep a few weeks into the new year.
Its a relatively cheap 1hr 30mins flight from Toronto to NY so for me its a nice much needed errand away from the boredom of Toronto. maybe I will even have time for lunch with my brother who lives in NY.

I understand am just going in to try on pieces but is there anything else to expect?
just1time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 02:37 AM   #2
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just1time View Post
Got frustrated with the lack of AP presence in Canada.
So I picked up the phone and called the AP store in NY.

Some nice rep talked to me. He acknowledged how frustrating it must be for Canadians.

After a few mins of banter, He suggested I come visit to start a relationship with them and with a little bit of patience, I should be able to start my journey with AP. He pencilled me in for an appointment with a dedicated rep a few weeks into the new year.
Its a relatively cheap 1hr 30mins flight from Toronto to NY so for me its a nice much needed errand away from the boredom of Toronto. maybe I will even have time for lunch with my brother who lives in NY.

I understand am just going in to try on pieces but is there anything else to expect?
You mean that little kiosk inside RDV in Yorkville wasn’t enough? :-) I wouldn’t expect much to see, but I might expect to purchase anything offered to jam the foot through the door when it is finally offered based upon the interest list you give them.

Which rep did you get assigned?

In your shoes, I might also fly back to NYC after AP House opens. And in the mean time go window shopping at some grays to see more pieces.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 02:39 AM   #3
westoque
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Apple Watch
Probably good to come in knowing what exact piece you want. The SA will then tell you the difficulty of acquiring said piece, some pieces are good to start a relationship with, and others further down the line.

And I would come in knowing I would NOT get an allocation immediately just to set some realistic expectations.

The store is beautiful though, enjoy the pieces on display, enjoy the interior design, and have fun with the experience. Also, try on some other pieces that you are curious on even if you don’t want it as your first, try a Code 11:59, try the different offshores.

Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
westoque is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 02:59 AM   #4
fwong208
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cat Wall Clock
I don't think they would tell you to come in if they weren't going to try to keep you in mind.

Go for it and make a trip out of it!

You never know! Good things may be coming to you soon.
fwong208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 03:49 AM   #5
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
You mean that little kiosk inside RDV in Yorkville wasn’t enough? :-) I wouldn’t expect much to see, but I might expect to purchase anything offered to jam the foot through the door when it is finally offered based upon the interest list you give them.

Which rep did you get assigned?

In your shoes, I might also fly back to NYC after AP House opens. And in the mean time go window shopping at some grays to see more pieces.
Last I heard, AP house was slated for 2021. What’s the benefit of an AP house from an allocation perspective?
Vince_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 04:44 AM   #6
www777
"TRF" Member

What is the AP house?
www777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 07:25 AM   #7
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Bring your SA at the boutique a gift, something nice that's uniquely Canadian, like five Canadian Maple Leafs, the 1 ounce size. That will break the ice and, possibly, get you on a list.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 08:04 AM   #8
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Enjoy your trip to nyc to see brother. Ap store is pretty but that’s it. Been on list there for over a year and waste of time. They did not even had a code to purchase.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 09:09 AM   #9
only1swami
"TRF" Member

AP House will be lifestyle afaik based on what the SA's in NYC told me a few weeks back

OP I would just confirm if they'll actually let you try on pieces. There was a beautiful ROC 38 that I wanted to try on for size, as that's the biggest AP I could *possibly* wear...but there was no trying on pieces when I went

Just good to check again :)
only1swami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 09:20 AM   #10
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Bring your SA at the boutique a gift, something nice that's uniquely Canadian, like five Canadian Maple Leafs, the 1 ounce size. That will break the ice and, possibly, get you on a list.
OP should bring some cans of maple syrup instead, it's the real canadian gold for those in the know
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 11:11 AM   #11
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: LVc
The NY boutique is great!

RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 01:44 PM   #12
just1time
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the input.
I have been to NY many times in the past but not in the last 5years. So I intend to make the most of this one day trip.
As far as bringing something for the SA, no bueno. Am one of those who doesn't believe in that. At least not now.
I am the client...looking to spend tens of thousands. They should be gifting me.
Not the other way around. They will have to be ok with my bright smile and captivating cologne :)
Old 21 December 2021, 04:52 PM   #13
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks for the input.
I have been to NY many times in the past but not in the last 5years. So I intend to make the most of this one day trip.
As far as bringing something for the SA, no bueno. Am one of those who doesn't believe in that. At least not now.
I am the client...looking to spend tens of thousands. They should be gifting me.
Not the other way around. They will have to be ok with my bright smile and captivating cologne :)

All the best. Let us know how it works out for you.
10XRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 11:27 PM   #14
brkn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Last I heard, AP house was slated for 2021. What’s the benefit of an AP house from an allocation perspective?
AP Houses get more watches -> more chance to get hard to get pieces
brkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 01:36 AM   #15
bullies
"TRF" Member

I'd try and go a boutique in a warmer spot Good luck!
AP 15400
bullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 03:11 AM   #16
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the input.

You don’t need to be a sycophant, just treat whomever you are dealing with as you’d like to be treated in that same situation. A ‘thank you’ token of appreciation never hurts after the fact but don’t go overboard - just be your real self. Or do your best to hide your real self if you are a natural born ass!

GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 03:37 AM   #17
just1time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
You don’t need to be a sycophant, just treat whomever you are dealing with as you’d like to be treated in that same situation. A ‘thank you’ token of appreciation never hurts after the fact but don’t go overboard - just be your real self. Or do your best to hide your real self if you are a natural born ass!

Yup. This works for me.
To me, it would even look weird coming with gifts of any sort to such an initial meeting.
As the relationship is established, I agree there is nothing wrong with small tokens of appreciation. But it’s not anything I would commit too much thinking or planning to.
We all see and do things differently. But that’s just me.

Old 22 December 2021, 03:46 AM   #18
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am the client...looking to spend tens of thousands.
You and ten thousand other people. Looking forward to hear how that went.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 08:43 AM   #19
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkn View Post
When will it open? Thought it was 2021
Vince_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 09:08 AM   #20
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkn View Post
I love this! At first it was possible to get 95% of APs at any AD, only blue dials were reserved for the, rare, boutique. Then the only place you could get any AP was at the Boutique. Now there's no chance of getting an AP at a Boutique and you need to go to the, rare, AP House. Is the AP Mansion next, making the Boutique and the House irrelevant?
Old 22 December 2021, 09:29 AM   #21
only1swami
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I love this! At first it was possible to get 95% of APs at any AD, only blue dials were reserved for the, rare, boutique. Then the only place you could get any AP was at the Boutique. Now there's no chance of getting an AP at a Boutique and you need to go to the, rare, AP House. Is the AP Mansion next, making the Boutique and the House irrelevant?
AP Metaverse ...incoming

will still be scarcity in the digital world ;-)
Old 22 December 2021, 09:48 AM   #22
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by only1swami View Post
AP Metaverse ...incoming

will still be scarcity in the digital world ;-)
I thought that's what NFTs were for
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 09:49 AM   #23
zube
"TRF" Member

I live in NYC and tagged along with my brother-in-law to the boutique this past Friday. He lives in the metro DC area and was directed to the AP boutique in NYC to get a rubber strap for his ROO.

After they installed the new strap we were directed to a sales person. My my brother-in-law asked to try on the rose gold ROO (the display cases are empty) so they brought out a couple of "marketing pieces" (their lingo). I asked for the 38mm chrono but was told they don't have a marketing piece for it.

The sales person gave him her card and repeatedly said "let's start this relationship" and that she loves text messages.
zube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 10:11 AM   #24
only1swami
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
I thought that's what NFTs were for
lolz. imo AP could easily do an NFT drop and pull in $20M+ (99% gross margin) in less than 10 minutes (see Adidas's latest drop). There is ALOT of crypto wealth and tons of folks who love the brand (and time pieces in general) -- but again it has to be thought through and not just a gimmick (which a lot of brands have already made the mistake)

I do think in the future, one of the big 3 will be the trailblazer and have authentication on chain + an NFT to represent ownership of your pieces on chain

There was already a 5711 that was fractionalized as an NFT (more of an experiment)
Old 22 December 2021, 09:22 PM   #25
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by only1swami View Post
lolz. imo AP could easily do an NFT drop and pull in $20M+ (99% gross margin) in less than 10 minutes (see Adidas's latest drop). There is ALOT of crypto wealth and tons of folks who love the brand (and time pieces in general) -- but again it has to be thought through and not just a gimmick (which a lot of brands have already made the mistake)

I do think in the future, one of the big 3 will be the trailblazer and have authentication on chain + an NFT to represent ownership of your pieces on chain

There was already a 5711 that was fractionalized as an NFT (more of an experiment)
And this is how the buyer of the $6.5 million T-Blue Patek 5711 will make money on her watch, displaying the wisdom of the purchase.
Old 23 December 2021, 04:28 AM   #26
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
or in the hotel as I have seen in another thread. AP hotel with minimum 3 weeks stay to get on wait list
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 05:51 AM   #27
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
or in the hotel as I have seen in another thread. AP hotel with minimum 3 weeks stay to get on wait list

At least you’ll know what that point it’ll weed out the flippers

Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 09:59 AM   #28
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Excellent intelligence. This is the next move.
Old 23 December 2021, 10:37 AM   #29
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Wouldn’t be too bad if they made your watch while you stayed at the hotel and you could pick it up fresh from factory. Checking in on the progress every couple of days. Change some customization specs. Wouldn’t be too bad at all.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 11:08 AM   #30
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Excellent intelligence. This is the next move.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote