The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 23 December 2021, 09:42 PM   #31
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Wouldn’t be too bad if they made your watch while you stayed at the hotel and you could pick it up fresh from factory. Checking in on the progress every couple of days. Change some customization specs. Wouldn’t be too bad at all.
I love your version of this but I think dauster is living in the real world with a three week, likely $30,000 U.S., stay at the Hotel merely assuring you of a place on the list to be offered your second choice (no, not the blue dial) Royal Oak in about a year.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2021, 12:47 AM   #32
robbonds
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROO
WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY. UNLESS WE GET A NASTY RECESSION with high unemployment I doubt we will see much price break or availability in high end watches
Old 27 December 2021, 04:40 AM   #33
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Those flights will add up if you want to get in good with the SA, as you are competing with locals that are going in once or twice a month.

Curious why you are interested in AP now and not 2-3 years ago? You could have purchased then easily. The hype?
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2022, 03:11 AM   #34
eal15
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet 15
mee too

Quote:
Originally Posted by just1time View Post
Got frustrated with the lack of AP presence in Canada.
So I picked up the phone and called the AP store in NY.

Some nice rep talked to me. He acknowledged how frustrating it must be for Canadians.

After a few mins of banter, He suggested I come visit to start a relationship with them and with a little bit of patience, I should be able to start my journey with AP. He pencilled me in for an appointment with a dedicated rep a few weeks into the new year.
Its a relatively cheap 1hr 30mins flight from Toronto to NY so for me its a nice much needed errand away from the boredom of Toronto. maybe I will even have time for lunch with my brother who lives in NY.

I understand am just going in to try on pieces but is there anything else to expect?
I'm also in the Toronto area and maybe 5 or 6 years ago I did something similar. I travel to the US often and started my relationship with AP at Clearwater. I had my diver serviced or dropped off there and then I picked it up at the NY boutique about 4 years ago and started a bit of a relationship there. They are all great people. We toured the Clearwater facility and as recently as US Thanksgiving we had a nice 2 hour visit with my rep at the NY boutique and saw Many pieces. Things were weren't interested in and things we were. We were honest and they are completely aware of the pieces the wife and I are interested in. I was worried that the rep in NY I used to speak with is no longer there and though I would end up having to start up a new relationship but once you're in their system it kind of doesn't matter who you're speaking to. I can tell you everyone I've met at Clearwater and NY have been awesome people and I've enjoyed the conversations which weren't all watch based. Also, after seeing several of the Code's in person recently, they are pretty awesome watches!
eal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 09:30 PM   #35
just1time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTuna View Post
Those flights will add up if you want to get in good with the SA, as you are competing with locals that are going in once or twice a month.

Curious why you are interested in AP now and not 2-3 years ago? You could have purchased then easily. The hype?
Hype? Not even. I love watches.
But I didn't buy my first Rolex until past mid-30s even though I could have easily bought it several years before that.I don't buy into hype when it comes to watches. I only buy things I love and use.

Having acquired the few pieces of Rolex watches that speak to me (except the DD 40 which will be mine at the right time), I would like to acquire two specific AP watches for when am dressed formally and sporty. I think AP watches are very nice and well built.Very classy also. Suits my style.

The quest makes life exciting. Otherwise, I would have bought from the Grey dealers if I was desperate.
just1time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 11:25 PM   #36
smg8
Banned

I am reading some crazy things on the AP board lately:

People engaging lawyers to help get them to buy a watch
People flying to other countries to maybe or maybe not try a watch on
People bribing sales people to try and force them to sell them a watch
People happy to buy things they don't want because it may (or may not) help them to get onto a list that may (or may not) exist

Maybe I am just wired differently, but I can't imagine being that bothered by a watch to go to these lengths....

I sold my Royal Oak Chrono and my Patek Aquanaut in the last year or so, as I don't like the hype and attention these brands get nowadays. Perhaps the OP could try looking at some alternatives (very much enjoying my Ceramic Hublot Classic Fusion Chrono and my recently acquired Girard Perregaux Laureato which were both purchased without any ballache and without having to beg someone to sell to me. ).
smg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 02:18 AM   #37
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTuna View Post

This is such a strange take. Maybe people develop new interests in life that they may not have had a few years ago? Maybe people start having a little bit more extra money and want to treat themselves to things they couldn't afford a few years ago?

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 03:37 AM   #38
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg8 View Post

That's a new one. Which AP board is that - would like to see that story
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 04:10 AM   #39
911AP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekman View Post
This is such a strange take. Maybe people develop new interests in life that they may not have had a few years ago? Maybe people start having a little bit more extra money and want to treat themselves to things they couldn't afford a few years ago?
Nah. It's just the hype I waited to get a 15202 because a few years ago when I saw it, it was easy to get. There were other APs that were higher on my priority list. But the moment the hype picked up I was like better get it now or I may never get it. But, a lot of people are in this for the hype the chance to make money. Don't delude yourself otherwise.
911AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 04:16 AM   #40
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911AP View Post
Nah. It's just the hype I waited to get a 15202 because a few years ago when I saw it, it was easy to get. There were other APs that were higher on my priority list. But the moment the hype picked up I was like better get it now or I may never get it. But, a lot of people are in this for the hype the chance to make money. Don't delude yourself otherwise.

I am not saying people aren’t in it for the hype. Many are. I just find it strange that a person who I assume doesn’t know the OP just assumed he only wants an AP now because of hype and is questioning why he just didn’t buy it 3 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 04:44 AM   #41
speedfighter
"TRF" Member

Smart thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg8 View Post

People flying to other countries to maybe or maybe not try a watch on
People bribing sales people to try and force them to sell them a watch
People happy to buy things they don't want because it may (or may not) help them to get onto a list that may (or may not) exist

Maybe I am just wired differently, but I can't imagine being that bothered by a watch to go to these lengths....

I sold my Royal Oak Chrono and my Patek Aquanaut in the last year or so, as I don't like the hype and attention these brands get nowadays. Perhaps the OP could try looking at some alternatives (very much enjoying my Ceramic Hublot Classic Fusion Chrono and my recently acquired Girard Perregaux Laureato which were both purchased without any ballache and without having to beg someone to sell to me. ).

I think the same way. Jumping through hoops so that I'm allowed to spend my money. I say take a lap to any manufacturer that tries to make me into a trained effete lapdog.
speedfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 09:17 AM   #42
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona | BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekman View Post
This.

I’ve wanted a RO for 15 years, and the feasibility of owning one only happened once the hype train had taken off, so I can empathize with OP. What a weird comment.
RealMadrid1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 10:04 PM   #43
Waldorf369
"TRF" Member

Does AP run the same 'wait list' / system worldwide? I.e an AP House in London and a AP boutique in Singapore for example?
Waldorf369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 10:12 PM   #44
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMadrid1988 View Post
This.

I’ve wanted a RO for 15 years, and the feasibility of owning one only happened once the hype train had taken off, so I can empathize with OP. What a weird comment.
I think it's genuinely easy to forget that every generation eventually comes of age.I turned around the other day and realized my cousin-in-laws were no longer under 18 and in grade school, but were in fact now full fledged professionals in their mid-20's. Scary!

@Waldorf369, all the boutiques can see your interest list. Usually, at least my understanding, is that when your name shows up as working with different SA in different boutiques, the managers will work together to figure out who gets you as a client and which boutique will be the main one engaging with you to procure the pieces.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 04:38 AM   #45
psm11
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMadrid1988 View Post
This.

I am in the same boat. I have wanted in AP since I was a little kid and saw Arnold's ROO "End of Days" model when I saw End of Days. Finally in a position to afford an AP (at retail)--hype has nothing to do with it for me.
psm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 06:19 AM   #46
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldorf369 View Post
Does AP run the same 'wait list' / system worldwide? I.e an AP House in London and a AP boutique in Singapore for example?
Depends on the definition of "waitlist". Client info with purchase history, wishlist etc is available for all boutiques world-wide. I don't think any of the boutiques operate with a chronological "first come, first served" list for models where demand far exceeds supply. For hot models, someone in the chain of command must make an argument for why you should receive a particular watch over anyone else in the bottomless pool of would-be customers. The hotter the watch, the higher up the final approval is made (apparently, up to and including "the family" itself, if necessary).
Old 13 January 2022, 06:52 AM   #47
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
The hotter the watch, the higher up the final approval is made (apparently, up to and including "the family" itself, if necessary).
Do you mean that the family have to be approved? (I'd heard that the family couldn't always get what they wanted, but didn't believe it) or, that the family have to give their approval?

Now that I type it, it must be the latter. In which case, does anyone have Olivier or Jasmine's number?
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 07:35 AM   #48
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
Do you mean that the family have to be approved? (I'd heard that the family couldn't always get what they wanted, but didn't believe it) or, that the family have to give their approval?

Now that I type it, it must be the latter. In which case, does anyone have Olivier or Jasmine's number?
I heard that Don Cheadle has them - let's steal his phone.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 09:56 AM   #49
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
The latter. I was also told that if they really like you they'll call you

I'm just happy the boutique replies to my emails
Old 10 February 2022, 05:04 AM   #50
just1time
"TRF" Member

Well,
I flew , I saw, I conquered : )
Sitting on a flight back to Canada as we speak.
Old 10 February 2022, 05:54 AM   #51
CactusTreeFiddy
"TRF" Member

How'd it go??
CactusTreeFiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 08:40 AM   #52
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just1time View Post
Well,
I flew , I saw, I conquered : )
Sitting on a flight back to Canada as we speak.
So, what did you get?
Old 10 February 2022, 09:01 AM   #53
911AP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
The latter. I was also told that if they really like you they'll call you

I'm just happy the boutique replies to my emails
Mannnnn I get nowhere from my SA unless I call him, text him, call the boutique, send an email, send actual mail, and finally send him an eagle with a note tied up in its leg. Then finally I get a response.
911AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 09:03 AM   #54
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911AP View Post
Mannnnn I get nowhere from my SA unless I call him, text him, call the boutique, send an email, send actual mail, and finally send him an eagle with a note tied up in its leg. Then finally I get a response.
Same.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 12:09 PM   #55
just1time
"TRF" Member

I have read various experiences with the AP Boutique, well here is my Story;

After booking the appointment last year, I had to reschedule and postpone the appointment for a few weeks because of covid restrictions.

Finally, I caught a 4am flight to NY last Friday for my appointment. Sadly, flight was cancelled last minute. Other option was through Detroit with a 4hour layover. A normal 45mins trip turned into 7hr trip. I wasn't t broken. I took it.
Fortunately, they offered a direct flight at 11am instead. I happily took that. I went back home to sleep for a few hours. Took off at 11am, landed at LGA at 1pm. Weather was bad and My scheduled ride took forever. I ended getting there about 40mins past my 3pm appointment.

The individual I had the appointment with had left but a nice lady attended to me.
I was surprised by how young and racially diverse the reps at this store were (I am used to majority of reps being older Asian womenat almost every Rolex AD in Toronto...No pun intended). To be honest, I expected the AP reps to be more stuck up and whatnot. It was the exact opposite.

She brought some watches which I was excited to try. Keep in mind, with how tough it is to attain one with no history, I had zero expectations. I was just excited seeing these pieces in real life...and trying them on. Plus It was my first time visiting NY in 5years. It was safe to say I couldn't be disappointed even if they tried. As such, I allowed myself to be free and be my natural self.

I tried on various pieces including the 50th anniversary ROO in Steel black and Titanium blue. It was easy for her to see how attracted I was to these watches.

Long story short, I spent 30mins trying the watches and talking about them. But I ended up spending about another hour at the store cause we hit it off talking about life and other things. It got very informal with me cracking lots of jokes, making the whole staff laugh and whatnot. It was fun. I still had zero expectations.

At the end I had to leave to catch my flight back. She suggested we exchange numbers. She collected all my data and punched it in their system. I was excited when she said she liked my energy and my story. And that she would be happy to help me achieve my AP goals (her exact words). She even offered that they take me for dinner but I declined given I had a flight to catch. She gifted me a nice AP Polo shirt and a nice AP umbrella. And said she would probably see me sooner than later.
That made me hopeful and I figured the visit was worth it....Afterall, it only cost me $240 CAD for a same day return ticket. I spend much more on rubbish anyways.

I left to catch my flight home. On my way to the airport I get a call from her. She sounded excited. She asked if I could pick it up today if she offered me a watch. I was dumbfounded to be honest. I couldn't believe it. She said I am full of life and positive energy.
I told her I am very honoured and would love to but I have to catch a flight. Moreover I didnt prepare to spend $55k CAD right there given I honestly expected nothing of such nature. She said no worries. I texted her saying I can be back there on Tuesday to buy it OR could even wire funds on Monday and fly down on Monday to pick it up. She said they don't hold watches but she would try to convince her manager to let her hold it for me. Lo and behold, bad weather caused the Flight out to be cancelled last minute. I was drained. I booked a hotel and slept still relishing the feeling of trying the beautiful watch on. I flew back to Toronto next morning. I didnt hear or read from her all weekend. I wasn't disappointed and didn't dwell on it. I was in fact happy she considered me.

Fast-forward to 9:30pm Monday night, I get a text while am at the gym. She said she was so sorry cause she thought she replied my text (she later showed me her phone and there were text messages from 200 clients...no lie). She said she made it happen and I NEED to get down there if I wanted it. I was so excited and pumped...I think I lifted twice what I am capable of lifting at the gym :)

I went upstairs and booked a ticket for next morning....Tuesday 11:30am flight. Next day, I Stopped by the bank to wire a chunk of the money to be safe. Almost missed the flight but made it in nick of time. Begged the lady to let me board...lol

I Arrived at LGA around 1pm. Again, my scheduled ride delayed. I spent 2hrs at the airport waiting around. He finally shows up and then says he still has to run another 40mins errand...FML. 1.5hrs later, I got to the AP store....time was around 4:45pm. They close at 6pm. I was happy I got there with some time to spare. She was excited to see me but sadly tells me she hasn't seen the wire transfer. My heart sunk deeper than the Titanic did.
I didn't sweat it. Told her I had to rush back to airport to catch flight back BUT that I could pay the balance and fly back to pick up the watch a few days later. She persuaded me to stay overnight that it would certainly show up by morning.
I obliged. I Booked a hotel by Times Square, went for some good food and enjoyed the city with a friend that met up with me.

I was a little worried cause Sometimes a tiny mistake on the info sheet when sending a wire can cause it to fail. However, I Woke up this morning to her text saying "Gooood Morningggg"..."Oh, I got the wire btw" (her exact words). I was happy. I told her I would be there by 11am.
I Showered and walked through Time Square to Central Park and circled back to the store. She is all smiles and welcomes me with a hug. She brought out a fresh unworn watch which felt different since it hadn't been handled by lots of hands the way the tester I tried on had been. It had the plastic and everything.
I Paid the balance and I was off to the airport. I arrived 45mins later. I thought it was a dream at this point. But when I Got home, I opened the box and there was a AP watch there. All this was reallllll...lol

Well, Thats my story. If the reps at the NYC boutique store are reading this, Thank you for a wonderful experience. Can't wait to see you again AND CAN'T WAIT TO GET MORE TIMEPIECES : )

That's my story with the AD NYC Boutique and how I got my very first AP. I know different people get different experiences. I have no advice for anyone other than be yourself AND its real when I say they feel you out to ensure you are not a flipper.

Now for pics : )
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg AP 1.jpeg (136.5 KB, 564 views)
File Type: jpeg AP 2.jpeg (144.7 KB, 548 views)
File Type: jpeg AP3.jpeg (164.4 KB, 550 views)
File Type: jpeg AP4.jpeg (79.4 KB, 551 views)
File Type: jpeg AP5.jpeg (165.4 KB, 550 views)
Old 10 February 2022, 12:19 PM   #56
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

What a cool story and that is some serious dedication! Well deserved and enjoy it!
Old 10 February 2022, 12:20 PM   #57
Jmaguire17
"TRF" Member

what an incredible story of perseverance, luck and passion! congratulations on your first AP and sounds like you will have more to come. My SA basically said, keep in touch but have patience!
Jmaguire17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 01:13 PM   #58
Zazzles
"TRF" Member

Awesome story, very well earned! I'm on the list for the grey dial titanium 43mm myself, can't wait for it. Enjoy it!

PS, what is your wrist size and can you post some photos of the watch from some distance, like in a mirror? All the photos I see of the 43mm are ultra close up wrist shots, makes it hard to determine how it really sits on the wrist in context.
Zazzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 01:17 PM   #59
THWatch
"TRF" Member

Quite a week for you, congrats!

Just curious, did you have to pay the NY sales tax?
THWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 01:59 PM   #60
Reign
"TRF" Member

Mate congratulations. What a crazy story and the hoops we’re willing to jump through in this day and are but holy hell that was a great read and ending.

Enjoy the watch !
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote