The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 December 2021, 09:59 AM   #1
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Omega 2627 Movement

Recently obtained an Omega powered by the 2627 movement, which I think is based on the 2500, based on the ETA 2892-A2. It wasn't running, I had it serviced, I am quite inactive, and it died on my wrist. It ran maybe 60 hours. I have experienced this, but rarely and wouldn't think it would happen with a fine watch like an Omega. Does this seem possible, or should it be winding automatically even with limited activity? Thought I'd check in here... thank you!
Tbonewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2021, 12:21 PM   #2
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
I have a couple of thoughts:

1) I'm guessing the answer is yes, but can we assume you wound the movement with plenty of twists of the crown before putting it on your wrist and observing the 60 hours? By plenty of twists, I'm thinking that watch needs ~30 twists in order to get the spring mostly wound.

2) Who serviced it? The first generation of Co-Axial movements went through some teething trouble, and it's possible your watch should have had some corrections or upgrades earlier in its life that it somehow never received. Also, I believe the early Co-Axial escapements depend on precise amounts of specific lubricant in order to operate properly. I don't think there are a lot of watchmakers out there with training, experience, and access to the info and materials necessary to make an early Co-Axial movement perform as intended.

There are a few independent service centers in the USA qualified to overhaul that movement. Nesbit's Fine Watch Service in Seattle is the one I use and recommend.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2022, 09:08 AM   #3
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
I have a couple of thoughts:

1) I'm guessing the answer is yes, but can we assume you wound the movement with plenty of twists of the crown before putting it on your wrist and observing the 60 hours? By plenty of twists, I'm thinking that watch needs ~30 twists in order to get the spring mostly wound.

2) Who serviced it? The first generation of Co-Axial movements went through some teething trouble, and it's possible your watch should have had some corrections or upgrades earlier in its life that it somehow never received. Also, I believe the early Co-Axial escapements depend on precise amounts of specific lubricant in order to operate properly. I don't think there are a lot of watchmakers out there with training, experience, and access to the info and materials necessary to make an early Co-Axial movement perform as intended.

There are a few independent service centers in the USA qualified to overhaul that movement. Nesbit's Fine Watch Service in Seattle is the one I use and recommend.
Somehow or other, I didn't notice or sign up for notifications and missed your thoughtful response... sorry and thank you!

It's a long story, but I went with a guy I trust. It has a power reserve sub dial, it was wound to the max and was off by a second for the 48 hours or so that it ran. So that part of the service was addressed. I'm figuring out my next move... getting it to him to check it again is complicated here for many reasons at this time.

Am I wrong to think this is not one of Omega's higher end movements? Funny, it may have been under warranty, but that would entail a whole big deal of shipping it and waiting... and I doubt the warranty is good now since I had it serviced.

But I still wonder if it would work automatically if with a more active user.

Many variables at play here...
Old 8 January 2022, 10:31 AM   #4
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonewalk View Post
...Am I wrong to think this is not one of Omega's higher end movements?...
The early Co-Axials are reputed to be highly sensitive. If the person who serviced it didn't have adequate experience specifically with early Co-Axial calibers, an Omega parts account, exactly the proper lubricants, supporting tech info, etc. then it's conceivable something was amiss that he couldn't have known about. I'm guessing if you trust him then he's very good, but these early Co-Axial movements are a different breed from what I hear.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2022, 10:51 AM   #5
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Thanks Tony!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
The early Co-Axials are reputed to be highly sensitive. If the person who serviced it didn't have adequate experience specifically with early Co-Axial calibers, an Omega parts account, exactly the proper lubricants, supporting tech info, etc. then it's conceivable something was amiss that he couldn't have known about. I'm guessing if you trust him then he's very good, but these early Co-Axial movements are a different breed from what I hear.
Furthermore, the watch is just 3 years old. I haven't owned many Omegas, but I'd think it should have been working since it's not that old. That would support your theory, that the movement may be inherently problematic. Moving forward, I'll have to figure out my next move... the good thing is that it is running accurately so I'm thinking it may just need a little more investigation...