The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 9 January 2022, 10:05 PM   #1
Daniel23456
"TRF" Member

Omega Speedmaster Ed White 321- an expensive mistake?

Hey folks,

I am seriously considering selling my Rolex Sea dweller 16660 to finance a 321 Ed White. I was in contact with my gal at the Omega boutique and she told me that she will call me with the next one that comes. She said that it can take a few months. During that time, I can comfortably sell my Sea-Dweller.

My question to you folks, I am not buying this to sell and become a millionaire, but I do want to know that it will keep it's value in case I want to sell down the road. From my understanding, it will do just fine, don't you think?

The other thing, do you think that it is really worth the price tag? Do you get what you pay for?

Will appreciate your response.

Thank you
Daniel23456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2022, 10:36 PM   #2
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
It’s a polarizing reference Daniel.

This “is it worth the price” debate always comes down to whether you are in the know or whether you look at it from a more practical point of view. There’s no right or wrong answer. Some will say it’s is worth the ask, and others will say the 3861 is practically more superior (better time keeping etc).

The secondary prices seem to be holding up, and as a private collector, you probably wouldn’t lose much if you bought, had regret and then had to sell.

Ultimately, you must decide whether the hand assembled 321 is your cup of tea. I personally would love to see one and I am on the list.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2022, 10:41 PM   #3
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Greetings. I should let members with first-hand experience chime in to say if you get what you pay for, but my sense is we could resell a Speedmaster 321 at MSRP plus any taxes originally incurred in about ten minutes.

I do have a bit of concern about the advice your person at your Boutique gave, and you may want to investigate the viability of her plan a bit further. Boutiques in the USA are asking buyers to pay in full and wait for their watches to arrive. If your market is the same but your contact isn't aware, then you may find yourself at the back of a waiting line she wasn't aware of. I'm not sure exactly how long the waiting times have been (perhaps owners replying here will say), but I'm guessing the average is around one year.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2022, 10:50 PM   #4
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
The 321 discussion is more about personal opinion and watch specifics than about is it worth it. As the owner of the 1861 and 3861 Speedmasters it is not worth it to me. The price difference for the nuances of the 321 do not justify the price difference and I like the other models better. I have the funds to buy a 321 but would not, even if I could get it at retail. The person that buys a 321 to keep and wear is a true collector and has a deep appreciation of the history of the movement and watch. Others are speculating on price and the ability to flip and make some cash at some point. No problem where you fall out, just decide. If you are looking to speculate though I would pickup a few Tokyo 2020 Speedmasters and Seamasters, True LE's and the prices are getting strong on them. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2022, 10:57 PM   #5
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

I got one last April and I love it. It's a special watch that is worth every penny. The movement looks fantastic, in fact the winding of it is an experience that I have never experienced with a watch before. The bracelet is great too. I haven't heard of anyone that has one saying they have regrets, that says a lot too.

Prices will hold up well. Go for it would be my advice.
DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2022, 11:00 PM   #6
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Both Tony and Brian are right here. Value wise, I suspect if you had some regret you could move it on for what you paid in next to no time. So value wise, I don’t think you’d have any issue. Certainly it would seem that all other versions of the 321 are being priced in a different stratosphere.

Now onto the more subjective aspect - is it worth it. Many will say no and objectively they may be into something. The 3861 is half the price, more accurate and a terrific watch - of that there is no doubt.

However, the 321 is more ‘Rolex like’. It has high polish finish, ceramic bezel, a bracelet in a different league (IMO) to the 3861 and the movement is beautiful. it wears very differently to the 3861 also (I have a 3861 too, so first hand experience). The dial is also very different and less cluttered.

Of all my watches, it’s my forever watch. It’s a combination of everything I personally ever wanted in a speedmaster. It it does come at a price, however, and whether that is worth it is completely up to you. It is for me, but there are extremely valid reasons why it may not be for someone else.

As a biased owner, I would absolutely make the trade you suggest. That said a diver for a chrono is quite a change, so I’d make sure you want it first. Given the value appears a non issue of sorts, I’d pick the 321 up first and then make my kind up safe in the knowledge that I wouldn’t take a bath either way.
Stevec14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2022, 11:18 PM   #7
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoricSpiker View Post
I got one last April and I love it. It's a special watch that is worth every penny. The movement looks fantastic, in fact the winding of it is an experience that I have never experienced with a watch before. The bracelet is great too. I haven't heard of anyone that has one saying they have regrets, that says a lot too.

I should add you are spot on. In my experience, everyone who has one of these absolutely loves it (albeit it’s a small section on the forums)
Old 9 January 2022, 11:59 PM   #8
Henry.hoe
"TRF" Member

Compared the pricing of this 321 and the Canopus gold 321 this is a steal. Go for it!
Henry.hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 12:36 AM   #9
fgp
"TRF" Member

I got a 3861 back in June21. It's getting the most wrist-time of all my watches.

I was so happy with my purchase that I started to have a closer look at the 321 and wondered if that would be redundant to a 3861. But it's not. Although I paid grey market price I don't regret it a single second - I love it. I even sold my black Daytona after getting it, because legibility is so much better to me. While the 3861 has become my daily watch I always enjoy wearing the 321 - it's more special and delicate than the 3861.

Have you ever handled the watch?

Market level seems to be more or less unchanged to when I bought mine back in September21. If you are getting yours at retail you should be definitely OK.

I would also highly recommend not to sell your Sea-Dweller before you are definitely taking delivery of the 321. Given current market developments I reckon there's no rush to sell your SD and you should be able to sell it in a short period of time if and when you get the call from the OMEGA Boutique.

fgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 01:52 AM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgp View Post
…I even sold my black Daytona after getting it, because legibility is so much better to me. While the 3861 has become my daily watch I always enjoy wearing the 321 - it's more special and delicate than the 3861.
That really says a lot seeing as how you have two speedies
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 04:10 AM   #11
vintage38
"TRF" Member

I just bought a 3861, love the watch. But if I could rewind my purchase, I'd probably go for the 321. From all the reviews I've read and feed back from owners, it's one that will eventually make it to my collection.
vintage38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 05:45 AM   #12
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
The price difference for the nuances of the 321 do not justify the price difference and I like the other models better.
IMO the lengths Omega went to resurrecting the 321 movement makes it a bit more than a "nuance". Overall package is very different from a regular Speedy. OP needs to decide if that's worth the extra funds.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 08:21 AM   #13
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
I say go for it, but I do offer that with a bias that the 16660 is pretty under-rated. It's a great Rolex reference, a wonderful tool watch and if you have a minty complete set with the watch, consider how challenging it would be to replace it if you regretted it.

Also, don't think this 321 will be the last. Omega didn't make the investment to resurrect the 321 to put it in a few references. Like most things they do, variations will continue regardless of their PR spin. My $02.
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 11:35 AM   #14
illiguy
2024 Pledge Member

The 321 is a special piece that caters to a special enthusiast. You either had the past history or are willing to skip the line at a premium to access.

I’d rather have the 321 then the SD
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 11:47 AM   #15
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I would sell the SD to fund the 321 myself. I’m hoping to get the call sometime this year hopefully.
Old 10 January 2022, 01:25 PM   #16
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

What might turn out to be expensive would be trying to re-acquire the 16600 if for more some reason the 321 doesn't do it for you (moving on from the 321@retail shouldn't be too hard). It would be ideal if you could test-drive the 321 for a while before moving the 16600. That would also be insurance in case the boutique was too optimistic. A question of cashflow, of course.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 01:40 PM   #17
watchik
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel23456 View Post
Hey folks,

I am seriously considering selling my Rolex Sea dweller 16660 to finance a 321 Ed White. I was in contact with my gal at the Omega boutique and she told me that she will call me with the next one that comes. She said that it can take a few months. During that time, I can comfortably sell my Sea-Dweller.

My question to you folks, I am not buying this to sell and become a millionaire, but I do want to know that it will keep it's value in case I want to sell down the road. From my understanding, it will do just fine, don't you think?

The other thing, do you think that it is really worth the price tag? Do you get what you pay for?

Will appreciate your response.

Thank you

I would say go for it. I also sold my Sea Dweller and now I am waiting for my 321….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
watchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 02:03 PM   #18
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoricSpiker View Post

What is the wind like compared to the regular speedy? Thanks!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 08:29 PM   #19
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
The watchmaking on the 321 is patek level. But it’s a very old movement.

It shouldn’t be your only speedmaster. You should get a cheaper speedmaster for regular days

htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 10:12 PM   #20
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

I had a chance to buy the steel 321. I passed. I was initially excited that Omega would have that movement back - but that was all I liked about it. I don’t like exhibition backs, sapphire crystals, and I don’t think those bracelets look good.
I bought a 16600 and a Speedy 1861 Hesalite instead. I would never part with a triple 6.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 12:40 AM   #21
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc8p View Post
The watchmaking on the 321 is patek level. But it’s a very old movement.

It shouldn’t be your only speedmaster. You should get a cheaper speedmaster for regular days

Why? NASA flight qualified, sapphire crystal and ceramic bezel - could be argued it’s as durable or more durable than the modern hesalite versions with aluminum bezels.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 01:16 AM   #22
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
Why? NASA flight qualified, sapphire crystal and ceramic bezel - could be argued it’s as durable or more durable than the modern hesalite versions with aluminum bezels.
Yep, for me it’s no more of an issue than wearing a Daytona as a daily - indeed my 321 is my daily watch.
Old 11 January 2022, 01:33 AM   #23
majidessa
"TRF" Member

I was offered one few months ago and I passed, I think Omega is asking too much money for the movement reissue and I don't think it is worth it at 14k. If it is up to me I would pick the snoopy which is a more interesting watch that is priced competitively compared to the ED 321.
majidessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 04:17 AM   #24
SSGMT
"TRF" Member

I have both the 321 and 16600, both really great watches, love them both. You can't go wrong with a 321. Everything that has been said, I agree with. The workmanship is awesome, the feel when you wear it is amazing, and the way it winds is like butter, different than any watch I have wound. You will definitely enjoy it if you get one!
SSGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 06:44 AM   #25
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
What is the wind like compared to the regular speedy? Thanks!

Well it’s easier to wind than the moonwatch as you can get a good hold of the crown. It also has a smoothness about it that the regular watch doesn’t have. It’s like you are playing a violin at expert level as opposed to Intermediate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 07:33 AM   #26
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGMT View Post
I have both the 321 and 16600, both really great watches, love them both. You can't go wrong with a 321. Everything that has been said, I agree with. The workmanship is awesome, the feel when you wear it is amazing, and the way it winds is like butter, different than any watch I have wound. You will definitely enjoy it if you get one!
That’s interesting, is the winding easy just because you can get a hold of the crown easier? I don’t think a column wheel (321) vs cam (1861) should affect winding much, but I’m not 100% sure. Certainly the chrono pusher will be different. The 321 is lateral clutch so actually I’m not sure how much more buttery it is compared to the 1861 (vertical clutch is definitely smooth).
Old 11 January 2022, 07:53 AM   #27
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
That’s interesting, is the winding easy just because you can get a hold of the crown easier? I don’t think a column wheel (321) vs cam (1861) should affect winding much, but I’m not 100% sure. Certainly the chrono pusher will be different. The 321 is lateral clutch so actually I’m not sure how much more buttery it is compared to the 1861 (vertical clutch is definitely smooth).
I couldn’t tell you vs the 1861 but I can vs the 3861. The winding is smoother for sure (not that the 3861 is difficult in any way). Nothing to do with the crown guards, just a smoother less ratchety feel.

Also the chrono functions are defo smoother. Again, not by much but there is a difference.

I’m no movement expert so couldn’t tell you why. But that’s definitely my experience.
Old 11 January 2022, 08:10 AM   #28
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
I couldn’t tell you vs the 1861 but I can vs the 3861. The winding is smoother for sure (not that the 3861 is difficult in any way). Nothing to do with the crown guards, just a smoother less ratchety feel.

Also the chrono functions are defo smoother. Again, not by much but there is a difference.

I’m no movement expert so couldn’t tell you why. But that’s definitely my experience.
Awesome, thanks for sharing. For the winding, it must just be the hand assembled parts have that much more attention to detail that let them glide nicely.

For the chrono, the column wheel aspect of the 321 probably is the biggest factor. Think of the column wheel as a gear, that when engaged it slides down a column smoothly until it engages with other gears. That would be a vertical clutch situation where it slides in like a jigsaw piece without much friction or resistance, making it silky smooth. The 321 is a lateral clutch, meaning it still slides in smooth, but there is a perpendicular component needed to engage it which makes the whole process slightly less smooth. Then for the 1861/3861 which use a cam lever, think of this as a light switch toggle. The parts are stiff and when engaged "jump" into on/off rather than glide into it like a dimmer switch (column wheel). So the chrono is more jumpy. Most cam movements have horizontal clutch as well which as i mentioned for the 321 add another element of jumpiness.
Old 11 January 2022, 08:57 AM   #29
VegasBaby
Banned

321 is a niche piece.........most couldn't tell the difference between a 321, an 1861, a 1863, a 3861 or any other standard Speedy Pro.

if your concern is future value, get a Snoopy!!!
VegasBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 08:59 AM   #30
VegasBaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgp View Post
I got a 3861 back in June21. It's getting the most wrist-time of all my watches.

I was so happy with my purchase that I started to have a closer look at the 321 and wondered if that would be redundant to a 3861. But it's not. Although I paid grey market price I don't regret it a single second - I love it. I even sold my black Daytona after getting it, because legibility is so much better to me. While the 3861 has become my daily watch I always enjoy wearing the 321 - it's more special and delicate than the 3861.

Have you ever handled the watch?

Market level seems to be more or less unchanged to when I bought mine back in September21. If you are getting yours at retail you should be definitely OK.

I would also highly recommend not to sell your Sea-Dweller before you are definitely taking delivery of the 321. Given current market developments I reckon there's no rush to sell your SD and you should be able to sell it in a short period of time if and when you get the call from the OMEGA Boutique.

You sold your Daytona but are cautioning him on selling his SD??
VegasBaby is offline   Reply With Quote