The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 16 January 2022, 11:46 AM   #61
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Your pictures are always so great
So many thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose 104 View Post
I haven't had time to get my proper camera out but here are a some quick smartphone shots - I love it!
Congrats!!! Enjoy your new beauty in good health
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Seiko SBGA125 SBDX001 SLA017 SLA025 SLA033
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Other Mühle Glashütte S.A.R. Flieger Chronoswiss Tora
Travelller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2022, 03:03 PM   #62
nickorette
"TRF" Member

I was never really interested in the speedmaster until I read about the 321. I love the column wheel chronograph, the history of the movement and the subtle design changes over the modern speedmasters. I love the bracelet design, the straight lugs and smaller diameter case without case guards. The fact they have a watchmaker assemble and tune each movement also makes it feel more special over the standard assembly line. Low production also makes it feel more special.

I emailed my AD, they could add my name to the waitlist. I asked how many pieces they received, and since launch they haven't received a single one. I spoke to the only boutique in the country, it would be about a 2 year wait. Ended up buying grey market (at a 50% markup I might add). It should be arriving next week, pretty excited!

OP you don't have to worry about losing your shirt on these, from everything I can see the market is strong on these for resale.
IWC: Portuguese Min. Repeater, Pilot 36, Pallweber RG, Vintage Pilot's, Ingenieur Patek: 5098P, 5738R, 5120G, 5172G JLC: Reverso Classic, Duomètre, Polaris Memovox 50th, MUTM Enamel AP: 15450 Lange: Lange 1, Copper Blue, Richard Lange, 1815 Up/Down Rolex: 116000, 116520, 126655, 124060, 116505, 228238 Panerai: Luminor 676 Omega: Aqua Terra, SM 300, Museum N°10, SM 321, CK 859 Cartier: Santos Medium, Tank LC VC: Cornes De Vache, Triple Calendrier, 222, 4300V/120R FPJ: CS LF: Classic Micro Rotor
nickorette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2022, 03:35 PM   #63
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Sell your 16600?

No chance.

ADD THE 321.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2022, 03:39 PM   #64
Andad

Watch: A few.
[QUOTE=Goose 104;11930337]Thanks both - I haven't had time to get my proper camera out but here are a some quick smartphone shots - I love it!

When do we get the proper camera shots Goose?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 02:46 AM   #65
BendyBee
"TRF" Member

Traded my sub ceramic + some cash for the 321. Totally worth it. So, go for it.
BendyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 03:54 AM   #66
Oryx
"TRF" Member

The 321 is amazing -.on a totally different level to the standard 1861 3861 models. I personally believe that the premium rrp to the standard moonwatch is well worth it. I am extremely surprised that the secondary premium is still quite modest esp versus the snoopy. Some things just don't make sense!
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 04:49 AM   #67
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx View Post
The 321 is amazing -.on a totally different level to the standard 1861 3861 models. I personally believe that the premium rrp to the standard moonwatch is well worth it. I am extremely surprised that the secondary premium is still quite modest esp versus the snoopy. Some things just don't make sense!

Can you tell me / us what you mean by "on a totally different level" please? I own a couple of Speedmasters and I have handled a 321 and I just do not understand this comment. Exactly what is on a totally different level?

I have refused two new 321s from boutiques because I didn't think they justified the extra price over a normal moon watch so I can definitely see why the second hand price is not much above the new price. I can understand that the 321 is a bit of a halo watch for Omega and is being made in relatively small numbers compared to a moon watch, but they are more than twice the price of a moon watch and that's too much of a difference for me. There appears to be quite a few people on here who want a 321 but are not prepared to pay slightly more for a second hand one. They do appear to be readily available second hand in the UK but I don't know about other countries.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 07:44 AM   #68
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
Can you tell me / us what you mean by "on a totally different level" please? I own a couple of Speedmasters and I have handled a 321 and I just do not understand this comment. Exactly what is on a totally different level?

I have refused two new 321s from boutiques because I didn't think they justified the extra price over a normal moon watch so I can definitely see why the second hand price is not much above the new price. I can understand that the 321 is a bit of a halo watch for Omega and is being made in relatively small numbers compared to a moon watch, but they are more than twice the price of a moon watch and that's too much of a difference for me. There appears to be quite a few people on here who want a 321 but are not prepared to pay slightly more for a second hand one. They do appear to be readily available second hand in the UK but I don't know about other countries.
If by readily available you mean the 3 in the U.K. on chrono 24 when you search by model then I wouldn’t exactly call that readily available - that said, one is certainly priced relatively close to mrsp (about 2 grand away).

It’s obviously subjective to the other point. You have rejected a couple and that’s fine. I on the other hand have owned many versions of the speedy and agree with the fella above. It’s on a different level to the 3861 in my view. Hold them together, and it’s quite obvious. Much is down to the sparse dial, ceramic bezel, flashy bracelet and the high polished finish over most of the watch - unlike the 3861. It might be perception, but that’s my view too.

Whether that is for you is up to you - there are no wrong answers and indeed we all want different things out of watches. Indeed as an owner of a snoopy also, I believe it’s actually worth the mrsp difference over that watch. As a long term ownership proposition the Ed white blows that out of the water imo.

In a roundabout way, I’m saying this is horses for courses. No wrong answers. If the 3861 floats your boat more, then great and you’ve also saved yourself a packet. But the Ed white for many is an itch that the 3861 just won’t scratch.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 08:27 PM   #69
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
If by readily available you mean the 3 in the U.K. on chrono 24 when you search by model then I wouldn’t exactly call that readily available - that said, one is certainly priced relatively close to mrsp (about 2 grand away).

It’s obviously subjective to the other point. You have rejected a couple and that’s fine. I on the other hand have owned many versions of the speedy and agree with the fella above. It’s on a different level to the 3861 in my view. Hold them together, and it’s quite obvious. Much is down to the sparse dial, ceramic bezel, flashy bracelet and the high polished finish over most of the watch - unlike the 3861. It might be perception, but that’s my view too.

Whether that is for you is up to you - there are no wrong answers and indeed we all want different things out of watches. Indeed as an owner of a snoopy also, I believe it’s actually worth the mrsp difference over that watch. As a long term ownership proposition the Ed white blows that out of the water imo.

In a roundabout way, I’m saying this is horses for courses. No wrong answers. If the 3861 floats your boat more, then great and you’ve also saved yourself a packet. But the Ed white for many is an itch that the 3861 just won’t scratch.
Agree with you. If you don't notice the difference when you hold both, it probably means you are not really into your Speedmasters.

Interestingly, that seller also has a white dial ceramic Daytona for sale at £23k more than the 321. Wow!
DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 02:16 AM   #70
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
They do appear to be readily available second hand in the UK but I don't know about other countries.
I checked Chrono24 and various GM dealers websites and could only find 1 EW321 in the US that's listed as worn. Most of the BNIB I found are in Europe.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 02:21 AM   #71
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post

I would agree with this. As much as I love my 1861, there is an allure of the 321 Ed White that no other Speedmaster offers. For me personally, the perfect Speedmaster does not exist lol.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 03:00 AM   #72
shoppy
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP and daytona
I will pick one up when my name comes up for it, it’s a lovely piece in SS and a bargain in contrast to other models IMHO.
PP, JLC, VC, Swatch ,Casio, Timex.
shoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 11:03 PM   #73
Oryx
"TRF" Member

Agree with the other posts above - for me I have never had the urge to own a regular production Moonwatch. I did try to convince myself a few times but could never get over the line.

The 321 is a totally different proposition - the movement to start (the heritage and finishing takes this to a new level for Omega), the perfect case size and lugs, ceramic bezel and the hand assembled bracelet.

Everything about the watch exudes quality and its quite easy to notice that a lot of time and effort is spent on the (hand) assembley of the watch.

To me the premium over the regular Moonwatch is more than justified and the 321 competes against any of the other chrono’s in its peer group including the Daytona.

I don’t understand why this doesnt get more recognition - especially versus the Snoopy. Once collectors clue up on this (or John Meyer talks about on in a talking watches video) I can see the secondary market prices moving up aggressively to reflect how special and relatively rare this watch is.

Roger Smith (for me one of the greatest living watch makers) also talks very fondly about the movement in his talking watches video - which to me is a testament to the movement.
Old 22 January 2022, 11:10 PM   #74
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickorette View Post
I was never really interested in the speedmaster until I read about the 321. I love the column wheel chronograph, the history of the movement and the subtle design changes over the modern speedmasters. I love the bracelet design, the straight lugs and smaller diameter case without case guards. The fact they have a watchmaker assemble and tune each movement also makes it feel more special over the standard assembly line. Low production also makes it feel more special.

I emailed my AD, they could add my name to the waitlist. I asked how many pieces they received, and since launch they haven't received a single one. I spoke to the only boutique in the country, it would be about a 2 year wait. Ended up buying grey market (at a 50% markup I might add). It should be arriving next week, pretty excited!

OP you don't have to worry about losing your shirt on these, from everything I can see the market is strong on these for resale.
Congratulations in advance. The 321’s I see for sale are listed at about 20% over retail. Regardless, I hope you enjoy it.

I’m on the waitlist at the boutique in Vancouver ( only one in the country).
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 11:47 PM   #75
VegasBaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel23456 View Post
Hey folks,

I am seriously considering selling my Rolex Sea dweller 16660 to finance a 321 Ed White. I was in contact with my gal at the Omega boutique and she told me that she will call me with the next one that comes. She said that it can take a few months. During that time, I can comfortably sell my Sea-Dweller.

My question to you folks, I am not buying this to sell and become a millionaire, but I do want to know that it will keep it's value in case I want to sell down the road. From my understanding, it will do just fine, don't you think?

The other thing, do you think that it is really worth the price tag? Do you get what you pay for?

Will appreciate your response.

Thank you
Your SeaDweller will appreciate at a far greater rate than the Ed white 321. It’s a niche watch, a very limited market.
VegasBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 01:07 PM   #76
woof
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS daytona, Hulk,
Awesome pics! congrats!
MoonPhase, Rootbeer
Batman, Sub, Blk GMT, Pepsi,YG Daytona, TTSD, Batgirl, 5167/1A, Speedy, P01, OP, Kermit
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 05:23 PM   #77
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126622
I am absolutely loving this watch. Having compared the 321 to the standard Moonwatch professional I would have always wanted the 321. It would have been like buying a Tudor GMT and it not satisfying the want for a Pepsi
Old 23 January 2022, 09:16 PM   #78
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose 104 View Post
I am absolutely loving this watch. Having compared the 321 to the standard Moonwatch professional I would have always wanted the 321. It would have been like buying a Tudor GMT and it not satisfying the want for a Pepsi
Great pic - and I tend to agree with you. For me, if you are into modern Rolex and the bling that they bring, the 321 may be the one to float your boat (not that there is anything wrong with the 3861).
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 10:10 PM   #79
Oryx
"TRF" Member

A very nice picture - the 321 looks awesome!
Old 24 January 2022, 01:37 AM   #80
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

A couple of more pictures from today. This watch like listening to a really good music album - the more exposure I have to it, the more details I notice and the more I love it!

Old 29 January 2022, 02:48 PM   #81
chipotlefire
"TRF" Member

The Ed White is a great looking watch and I'm a big Omega fan, but I don't, personally, see the fascination with the 321 movement to justify the cost.

For the cost of the new Ed White, I'd get the 3861 and a vintage Speedy with 321.

Comparing the 3861 is like comparing a 60's Porsche engine to a modern N/A Porsche engine, imo

The 3861 has more power reserve, is more anti-magnetic, more accurate, higher beat rate (smoother second hands sweep), and should theoretically have a longer service interval.

Column wheel is a little more to make than cam lever, but I think the hype on the feel of a column wheel is subjective.

You can find a vintage Omega watch with the 321 caliber for less than $4k. The 321 is quite similar to the Valjoux 72. You can find examples of that for less than $2k.

Plenty of companies have done R&D to bring a new movement to life with the cost of the complete watch coming in way under $14k.

I think if the 3861 had only come in Limited Edition watches that retailed for $10k+, more people would look at the 3861 differently.
chipotlefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2022, 10:47 PM   #82
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipotlefire View Post
The Ed White is a great looking watch and I'm a big Omega fan, but I don't, personally, see the fascination with the 321 movement to justify the cost.

For the cost of the new Ed White, I'd get the 3861 and a vintage Speedy with 321.

Comparing the 3861 is like comparing a 60's Porsche engine to a modern N/A Porsche engine, imo

The 3861 has more power reserve, is more anti-magnetic, more accurate, higher beat rate (smoother second hands sweep), and should theoretically have a longer service interval.

Column wheel is a little more to make than cam lever, but I think the hype on the feel of a column wheel is subjective.

You can find a vintage Omega watch with the 321 caliber for less than $4k. The 321 is quite similar to the Valjoux 72. You can find examples of that for less than $2k.

Plenty of companies have done R&D to bring a new movement to life with the cost of the complete watch coming in way under $14k.

I think if the 3861 had only come in Limited Edition watches that retailed for $10k+, more people would look at the 3861 differently.
Good points. I agree.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2022, 01:52 AM   #83
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
You need to stop posting pics of this watch! So good.
Old 30 January 2022, 07:28 AM   #84
Trog
Banned

I dunno, I kinda like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 321EWr.jpg (256.5 KB, 286 views)
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2022, 11:01 PM   #85
zengineer
"TRF" Member

This is one way that Omega seems a bit more savvy than Rolex. Rolex makes high demand, low availability watches, and lets the grey market inflate the price. Omega does it in-house.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2022, 04:35 AM   #86
baamvino
"TRF" Member

I've had tons of watches in my collection come and go for the last 10 years, but 321 is something I would keep it forever
baamvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2022, 09:43 AM   #87
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

I took some photos of the movement this afternoon. Wow, what a watch. I am increasingly delighted with this watch. cdn.com/20220130/b4d60677841759befc4b01a13dfdccc6.jpgcdn.com/20220130/573777f00b6245d63410ed4dd0bfa3b9.jpg[/IMG]
Old 31 January 2022, 11:18 AM   #88
isgrb
"TRF" Member

Wow, awesome thread and pics. I’ve been trying to resist the lure of the 321 but this thread is not helping!
isgrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2022, 09:47 PM   #89
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Nice pictures.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 12:20 AM   #90
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

My goodness (above pic)
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote