The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 8 August 2022, 03:36 AM   #1
pkincy
"TRF" Member

Has the past 3 years run up in prices changed your thoughts on Rolex?

In my case I have come to realize (about a year ago) that the current prices of most all Rolex watches was just way higher than their actual value or price should be. Yes, they are good watches made to last, but their pricing has simply soured me on the brand. Not Rolex' fault, but nevertheless, I feel like those buying them at these price levels are being taken for a financial ride.
pkincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 03:57 AM   #2
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I just stick to my usual, if I am comfortable spending the asking price I go for it. Retail or not.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 04:00 AM   #3
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

The price of hamburgers has really soured me on beef between two buns as well. I remember when you could get them for 19 cents each!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 04:04 AM   #4
lovehasaghetto
"TRF" Member

The prices hasn't changed my thoughts on Rolex. The recent years hype/flex/social media/AD "games" stuff has definitely changed my thoughts. It's nauseating at times.

I hope JLC never goes down this route as those two are my favorite brands.
lovehasaghetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 04:05 AM   #5
CMBX
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date II RG
I can see what you mean but If I want something bad enough I will pay for it. Cant control the secondary market. I bought three watches this year over sticker price because I don't have an AD and I liked them enough to pay a premium. Its all subjective
CMBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 04:20 AM   #6
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
The price of hamburgers has really soured me on beef between two buns as well. I remember when you could get them for 19 cents each!

These threads...
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 04:27 AM   #7
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Wait 'til you see the price of eggs, bacon, and petrol!

Rolex is VERY fair due to a situation not in their control (currency devaluation).
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 04:33 AM   #8
Yellow5
"TRF" Member

I tend to view this differently than others. The spike in interest resulted in the current prices outpacing the rather heathy annual price increases by Rolex. There was a bit of a feedback loop with dealers playing middlemen to other dealers, and an overly enthusiastic set of buyers who quite literally bought in to the hype train and projections, resulting in a bubble.

It isn’t Rolex or ADs that caused any of the issues, but they seem to take the lions share of the blame. Many of the big jumps that occurred earlier this year have retraced. Assuming a decrease in demand will occurs as the spread between retail and secondary occurs, we are now 3 years or so away from retail catching secondary market for all but a few models in their catalog. At that point, or near it, this issue will fully vaporize and folks that have a legitimate desire to have and wear Rolex will be the vast majority of those making AD purchases. I hate to say be patient, but that advice holds for most things in life.

Rolex still makes the best stuff in terms of everyday wear. They last generations, look good, and offer great accuracy for mechanical. The branding is top notch, everyone knows what a Rolex is, and no other brand is remotely close. That’s my 2 cents.
Yellow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 04:39 AM   #9
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Nothing has changed about the brand so why would my thoughts change. Rolex is remarkably consistent in all that they do while the market fluctuates around them. When I have the funds for a new Rolex I buy one from the AD, when I don’t I enjoy the watches that I already have. And the world keeps turning.
Kevin of Larchmont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 04:57 AM   #10
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Quote:

I remember burgers back when I was in high school at a local burger place like a McDonalds that were 15 cents each for the burger and fries were 3 cents. I would get 4 burgers and a couple fries for lunch and get change back from a dollar.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 05:00 AM   #11
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Not at all. It's interesting as are all social trends. Like how the turquoise OP sells for more than twice any other color in the aftermarket. Just wacky.

Rolex didn't create this hype after all. At least not directly. So it doesn't alter my perception of the brand at all. Rolex has been something of a flex watch for sometime and everyone knew it. But the popularity just blew up. And why not? It's an attractive. durable watch with timeless design and a great aesthetic.

Certainly Rolex never could have bought the publicity that SM has provided for them.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 05:05 AM   #12
zewill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by train-time View Post
I remember burgers back when I was in high school at a local burger place like a McDonalds that were 15 cents each for the burger and fries were 3 cents. I would get 4 burgers and a couple fries for lunch and get change back from a dollar.
How old are you (just trying to get things into context )

Yep. Time changes… I’m already impressed about that time where you could see everything at the AD (2013? 2014?) and probably get a nice 10% off too… so 19cents burgers… probably was better meat too…
zewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 05:39 AM   #13
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Prices no? Brand behavior yes
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 05:40 AM   #14
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

I’m indifferent to where market price goes
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 05:51 AM   #15
Innocenti
"TRF" Member

Price is recommended retail price and not one penny more.
Rolex as a brand bad model range has moved away from my taste. It used to be a brand i aspired too. Now it mostly leaves me cold.
Innocenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 06:36 AM   #16
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkincy View Post
In my case I have come to realize (about a year ago) that the current prices of most all Rolex watches was just way higher than their actual value or price should be. Yes, they are good watches made to last, but their pricing has simply soured me on the brand. Not Rolex' fault, but nevertheless, I feel like those buying them at these price levels are being taken for a financial ride.
Compared to what? Omega, GS?
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2022, 04:35 AM   #17
mwc5k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Rolex has raised prices far faster than inflation. (CPI includes hamburgers)
mwc5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2022, 05:20 AM   #18
Littletommy
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

What does this post have anything to do with.....

"Ebay and internet sales authenticity, real/fake identification discussion"

Littletommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2022, 10:29 AM   #19
PRSWILL
"TRF" Member

It's another speculation post- probably by someone who bought a watch in the last 12 months on spec/investment- sounds a lot like 2004/5 real estate conversations. If you buy a Rolex because you Love the quality, precision, and craftsmanship- then who cares what the market does. If you're stockpiling to make $$, well good luck.
PRSWILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2022, 10:30 AM   #20
PRSWILL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwc5k View Post
Rolex has raised prices far faster than inflation. (CPI includes hamburgers)
Have you seen the demand from China? They're just reacting to sales- like any good company with high demand.
PRSWILL is offline   Reply With Quote