The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Closed Thread

Old 16 August 2022, 06:37 AM   #841
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by askdanny View Post
Ok I’ll concede my last point, that watchcharts is “garbage.” But that doesn’t diminish my first point: there is a strong correlation between crypto/stock market and Rolex prices. And the former has just reversed trends.
Not really. Many market bull runs, and only 1 had coincided with a meteoric rise in watch prices.

Also, we are going on the 4th straight week of gains in the S&P. Watch prices have continued to fall in this time.
Old 16 August 2022, 08:16 AM   #842
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

Quote:
Ok I’ll concede my last point, that watchcharts is “garbage.” But that doesn’t diminish my first point: there is a strong correlation between crypto/stock market and Rolex prices. And the former has just reversed trends.
It is only a bear market rally. (In 2001, there where 7 rallies before we touched the bottom. https://twitter.com/BurryArchive/sta...477952/photo/1 )

Wait for this autumn... Between the China economy falling (credit crunch contamination, real estate, etc), the 20th Party Congress in nov, Chinese CCP pressure on luxury goods, global rising interest rates (Lawrence Summers keeps repeating/preparing the market: you do not stop taking antibiotics when you start to feel good otherwise the decease will be stronger, you continue till the end of the prescription), debt servicing cost (companies, weak countries, people, etc), inflation, winter in Europe, end of free money, etc.

I am not that positive for a long time...

We lived a period which was an anomaly in the watch history. Normality is when you buy a watch from an AD and take a -20% hit (like cars). Then the market value will appreciate each each very slowly. Buying from an AD and making an instant +200% is not healthy. Let's keep that as a story we will tell our grand children.

Make your bets.

I bet on a future healthier watch market (back to pre-2016?).
Old 17 August 2022, 12:06 AM   #843
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Clock on my A330
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuelleHeureEstIl View Post
I bet on a future healthier watch market (back to pre-2016?).
I don't see 2016.

Rolex's global and free marketing agency called "Instagram" is too formidable.

Add that to the plethora of Youtubers, reviewers, dealers who film themselves -- and online magazines that weren't as huge six years ago. Hodinkee now has $40 million in investment capital and high-profile investors like Tom Brady. (Granted, Hodinkee is not a Rolex dealers, but it does nurture the love for and relevancy of mechanical watches while Rolex is still the most reputable company in the world.)

The watch market didn't temporarily change; it has seen a permanent transformation.
Old 17 August 2022, 07:31 AM   #844
soicanbefree
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't see 2016.

Rolex's global and free marketing agency called "Instagram" is too formidable.

Add that to the plethora of Youtubers, reviewers, dealers who film themselves -- and online magazines that weren't as huge six years ago. Hodinkee now has $40 million in investment capital and high-profile investors like Tom Brady. (Granted, Hodinkee is not a Rolex dealers, but it does nurture the love for and relevancy of mechanical watches while Rolex is still the most reputable company in the world.)

The watch market didn't temporarily change; it has seen a permanent transformation.
I'm looking for 2019 pricing and dynamics.

ADs have pieces. Only a few are hot / allocation.

You can walk in and get a Sub, GMT, 2 tone anything.
Old 17 August 2022, 08:08 AM   #845
trojanrolex
"TRF" Member

15450ST (White) just sold for 26.2
Old 17 August 2022, 08:28 AM   #846
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanrolex View Post
15450ST (White) just sold for 26.2
that's crazy, 15550st is 24k so basically msrp+tax. i find it hard to believe prices stay there considering it's discontinued and a 15550st isn't exactly easy to get...was it new or used?
Old 17 August 2022, 08:30 AM   #847
trojanrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
that's crazy, basically msrp+tax. i find it hard to believe prices stay there considering it's discontinued and a 15550st isn't exactly easy to get...was it new or used?
Used. To be honest AP's have historically always traded under retail. It's only been the last 2 years where they've been this hyped up.
Old 17 August 2022, 08:40 AM   #848
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
that's crazy, 15550st is 24k so basically msrp+tax. i find it hard to believe prices stay there considering it's discontinued and a 15550st isn't exactly easy to get...was it new or used?
I wouldn't be surprised by 15450 dropping more than other ROs with 15550 being the thinner and better proportioned watch.
Old 17 August 2022, 08:52 AM   #849
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised by 15450 dropping more than other ROs with 15550 being the thinner and better proportioned watch.
well proportions aside the 550 is a 50th anniversary so pretty much impossible for new customers to get. i don't see the 450 having enough of a difference or lack of preference (from the threads here) for it to trade at a giant discount. visually they're almost the same watch until you hold them side by side, excluding the caseback obviously. i think one market is wrong, either the grey market isn't done force selling or the retail market is lagging very far behind and these watches will be easily obtainable soon. for now though, they're not, so it leads me to believe the prices go back up eventually

that's just my feeling
Old 17 August 2022, 09:37 AM   #850
trojanrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
well proportions aside the 550 is a 50th anniversary so pretty much impossible for new customers to get. i don't see the 450 having enough of a difference or lack of preference (from the threads here) for it to trade at a giant discount. visually they're almost the same watch until you hold them side by side, excluding the caseback obviously. i think one market is wrong, either the grey market isn't done force selling or the retail market is lagging very far behind and these watches will be easily obtainable soon. for now though, they're not, so it leads me to believe the prices go back up eventually

that's just my feeling
15550st will continue to be made. Unless you're some avid collector I don't see why most people will pay a premium to say they have the "50th anniversary" edition.
Old 17 August 2022, 09:47 AM   #851
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanrolex View Post
15550st will continue to be made. Unless you're some avid collector I don't see why most people will pay a premium to say they have the "50th anniversary" edition.
yeah that was my point. for now it's a 50th anniversary but is the 15550 gonna create that much of a preference vs the 15450? i guess it remains to be seen but from what i've read here people weren't really leaning towards one or the other in terms of the changes introduced. it's kind of like the 40 vs 41mm subs that traded at very similar price points despite some minor visual changes

i guess 15500s were fetching higher premiums than 15400s for very minor changes so i could be wrong
Old 18 August 2022, 11:30 AM   #852
honuswagner13
"TRF" Member

Brand new White gold green DD $45,900 on Moda.
Close to msrp!!!
Old 18 August 2022, 11:39 AM   #853
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Prices slump by up to 50% for discontinued Rolex watches (Watchpro)

Quote:
Originally Posted by honuswagner13 View Post
Brand new White gold green DD $45,900 on Moda.
Close to msrp!!!

There's actually 2 on there right now in that ballpark. I'm still waiting on one at AD and for what. (Relationship credit only)
Old 18 August 2022, 04:33 PM   #854
HAL330
Banned

Watch: xyz
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
There's actually 2 on there right now in that ballpark. I'm still waiting on one at AD and for what. (Relationship credit only)
that's the phenomenon I don't get... all these watches now trading for MSRP on gray market, and all brand new unworn... yet, NONE at the AD...

who's making money on this? I mean you buy from AD at MSRP+Tax then turn around and flip to dealer for what? how's there a profit in selling this at below MSRP+Tax?
Old 18 August 2022, 04:49 PM   #855
Mathematoxic
"TRF" Member

ADs have the stocks. They just kept them as the carrot for customers to buy jewellery or less desired watches. Too many examples of watches suddenly appearing after the customer bought something from an AD
Old 18 August 2022, 07:22 PM   #856
DJ4
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
prices continue to drop... at c24 AP 15510 black/grey offers are now at 59k down from 65k, at moda it's around 40-45k moving...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (150.2 KB, 238 views)
Old 19 August 2022, 02:54 AM   #857
HAL330
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathematoxic View Post
ADs have the stocks. They just kept them as the carrot for customers to buy jewellery or less desired watches. Too many examples of watches suddenly appearing after the customer bought something from an AD
meanwhile that customer can likely buy that same watch at the gray market and at the same or even lower price if you exclude tax, and NOT spend money on random useless jewelry.... so back to my question.. in a functional market, how can anyone make money selling new watches in the gray market at below MSRP+Tax?
Old 19 August 2022, 02:57 AM   #858
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL330 View Post
that's the phenomenon I don't get... all these watches now trading for MSRP on gray market, and all brand new unworn... yet, NONE at the AD...

who's making money on this? I mean you buy from AD at MSRP+Tax then turn around and flip to dealer for what? how's there a profit in selling this at below MSRP+Tax?
A lot of it is built up inventory. And a lot of ppl are willing to take a $$$ hit o get their spend history up.
Old 19 August 2022, 03:35 AM   #859
HAL330
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstewart View Post
A lot of it is built up inventory. And a lot of ppl are willing to take a $$$ hit o get their spend history up.
that's literally the only thing that makes sense... Like I said a couple of weeks ago ... there is a glut of supply and a drop in demand.. the combination is a toxic mix for sellers and a fancy cocktail for buyers .. but I can't see it lasting after the inventory is gone...

the AD's will still be tight AF, and putting people on waiting lists..
Old 19 August 2022, 03:38 AM   #860
Mathematoxic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstewart View Post
Yes I agree. Flippers/dealers realising some models are stucked so they start to sell at or close to MSRP.
ADs being ADs, they will hold their fort as long as they can. They know these are Veblen goods. The more expensive they are, the more they are sought after. And scarcity is the only way to drive prices up/a bait to sell undesired stuffs to customers.

I do think Daytona/Pepsi will still trade above MSRP in the long term. PM Daytonas too. Seems like more people are moving their preferences to PM watches if affordability is not an issue. For myself I am not keen on steel watches. It’s either a two tone or full yellow gold one.
Old 19 August 2022, 03:38 AM   #861
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

A lot of big drops in prices this week.
Old 19 August 2022, 03:41 AM   #862
HAL330
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
always happens that way... as desperate sellers get more desperate (sell at a big loss, or BK)..

There's a 126619LB on Chrono24 now at $38,995 ... close to 2K Below MSRP... claimed to be a new 2021 (I always doubt when it's new but over a year old, probably a worn re-polish), but still... meanwhile the rest are between $42-44K
Old 19 August 2022, 03:47 AM   #863
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
always happens that way... as desperate sellers get more desperate (sell at a big loss, or BK)..

There's a 126619LB on Chrono24 now at $38,995 ... close to 2K Below MSRP... claimed to be a new 2021 (I always doubt when it's new but over a year old, probably a worn re-polish), but still... meanwhile the rest are between $42-44K
Yeah. I would be hesitant though, to think that these prices are near the bottom just due to liquidation by a few players. Most greys have just held inventory/prices and stayed afloat, so there is either more downward pressure to come via liquidations, or it may never come (unlikely). Even if major fire sales don’t happen, it is still very possible that we will see a gradual decline as the economy slows / QT takes place / interest rates rise.
Old 19 August 2022, 03:52 AM   #864
HAL330
Banned

Quote:
Yeah. I would be hesitant though, to think that these prices are near the bottom just due to liquidation by a few players. Most greys have just held inventory/prices and stayed afloat, so there is either more downward pressure to come via liquidations, or it may never come (unlikely). Even if major fire sales don’t happen, it is still very possible that we will see a gradual decline as the economy slows / QT takes place / interest rates rise.
I'm more bullish on the soft landing economic turn scenario ... my reasoning is simple, in November the R's will take over congress, and gridlock will ensue, which the broader market will love... energy is already coming back down to earth, and mortgage rates are holding, despite two rate hikes by the fed.. so as long as unemployment holds (as it has been), we'll see a uptick in economic activity by early 2023 as Biden becomes a lame duck..

This barring China starting a nuclear war, or some other catastrophic event..
Old 19 August 2022, 04:27 AM   #865
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm more bullish on the soft landing economic turn scenario ... my reasoning is simple, in November the R's will take over congress, and gridlock will ensue, which the broader market will love... energy is already coming back down to earth, and mortgage rates are holding, despite two rate hikes by the fed.. so as long as unemployment holds (as it has been), we'll see a uptick in economic activity by early 2023 as Biden becomes a lame duck..

This barring China starting a nuclear war, or some other catastrophic event..
It will be interesting. I must say I am more pessimistic. To your points:

Congressional Composure: markets are far more sensitive to changes in the executive branch than its legislative counterpart. There may be a marginal benefit here, but I doubt it’ll move the needle significantly

Inflation: what matters is the spread between the inflation rate and real rates. Even if you strip out energy and look at core inflation, we’re close to 6%. This is well above real rates and does not bode well for any prospect of inflation being short lived

Mortgage rates: even if they do hold, real estate is a lagging economic indicator to rates and the housing market has not yet adjusted to today’s rates (e.g, cost of ownership is still exorbitantly higher than in February).

Unemployment: as the economy softens, and if the Fed continues to raise rate, we’ll see higher unemployment prints
Old 19 August 2022, 04:30 AM   #866
HAL330
Banned

Quote:
It will be interesting. I must say I am more pessimistic. To your points:

Congressional Composure: markets are far more sensitive to changes in the executive branch than its legislative counterpart. There may be a marginal benefit here, but I doubt it’ll move the needle significantly

Inflation: what matters is the spread between the inflation rate and real rates. Even if you strip out energy and look at cote inflation, we’re close to 6%. This is well above real rates and does not bode well for any prospect of inflation being short lived

Mortgage rates: even if they do hold, real estate is a lagging economic indicator to rates and the housing market has not yet adjusted to today’s rates (e.g, cost of ownership is still exorbitantly higher than in February).

Unemployment: as the economy softens, and if the Fed continues to raise rate, we’ll see higher unemployment prints
your scenario is indeed viable... and I agree, the elephant in the living room is inflation.. my pilot union right now is negotiating a 25% immediate pay increase to offset inflation since our 2017 contract... the UPS pilot union just successfully got this .. and I understand how these rising wages can only fuel inflation.. this will have to sort itself out as demand for goods and labor equalizes with supply and supply chain...

Can we all say China! Our dependency on them is unhealthy (I've been saying this since the 1990's)... maybe sometime we'll get it and do something about it.
Old 19 August 2022, 05:21 AM   #867
Mifune
Banned

Quote:
Still looking for blro
Old 19 August 2022, 06:09 AM   #868
Laostuh
"TRF" Member

Yep, prices are slowly coming down. You have batmans sitting unsold at $17-18k on Moda, baugette dial Day Date 40 for about MSRP. Olive Dial Day Dates for the $45k range.
Old 19 August 2022, 02:12 PM   #869
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 124060
Still waiting for several SS sport models to get closer to retail before I buy. I don't know if they'll get all the way, but I think there's still more to fall over the next few months. I'm happy to wait on the sidelines until then.

-Edward O. Wilson
Old 20 August 2022, 12:36 AM   #870
soicanbefree
"TRF" Member

Full golds seems to be cratering. Seen some bigggggggggggggg drops here this week.

Steel falling slowly. No dramatic or interesting moves this week. Flat to slightly down.
Closed Thread