The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 9 November 2020, 10:04 AM   #1
7sins
"TRF" Member

Best Espresso Machine??

Recently starting drinking more lattes and would like to start making them at home, albeit will admit I have limited knowledge here. Would like a recommendation for a high quality espresso machine and coffee beans you prefer that are more readily available. Evidently, as you can see I don't have much experience here and thank you in advance for any feedback. Any tricks on utilizing the machine or advice on making them would be great too!

Budget-wise I would like to stay less than $750 unless something is worth the additional money but I presume like most things, there is a point of diminishing returns.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 10:31 AM   #2
Hard_Six
"TRF" Member

Watch: those three’s roll
For machines under $1,000, this might be worth a read: https://www.wholelattelove.com/blogs...nes-under-1000

Also check out what Breville has to offer. The Breville Dual Boiler has lots of positive reviews but it's about double your desired budget. They have lower priced products too though.

For coffee, there are so many good ones out there. Clive Coffee has a good selection you can shop from. I personally have been on a BG Coffee kick lately. Caffe Lusso also has some nice stuff.

As far as tips go... Buy a good grinder! Doesn't matter how expensive your machine is, if the grinder sucks, the espresso will too. Good beans, a good grinder, and good water will make all the difference in the cup.

Cheers
Hard_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 11:38 AM   #3
mmutte
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

We have Terra Kaffe and love it. Works great
mmutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 11:53 AM   #4
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
If in your position, I would get:

1) a Breville Dual Boiler (cheap, with stable, programmable temperature and enough steam pressure to get nicely textured milk at the same time your shot is pouring—note that unless you buy a dual boiler or a heat exchange machine, you would have to do your milk first and then your shot... I mean, if you want to avoid automatic machines and learn how to extract beautiful coffee)

2) the best domestic grinder you can afford, as this is a key difference maker. I bought a Niche Zero grinder ($1300 Australian dollars), and it has been worth it

3) a water filter jug and spare cartridges to replace every month, to prevent limescale build up

4) some cheap digital scales, so you know how much coffee to put into your basket, and you can also measure your shots.

If this sounds like too much work, then maybe look at automatic machines. As you said you want to make lattes, perhaps mentioning home filter coffee is irrelevant (like V60 pourover, Aeropress, or Moccamaster). But they are simple and very, very tasty, albeit not brewing methods designed for adding milk.

Have fun!
White Collar Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 01:03 AM   #5
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

I’d advise spending some time on the Home Barista forum. It’s like TRF for espresso and coffee geeks. Buy once cry once. I got my machine and grinder after a lot of looking around and I’m happy with it years later with just a bit of annual maintenance.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 01:14 AM   #6
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Probably would not satisfy purists but I am very happy with Nespresso

I have two machines and they are great, convenient and the coffee is very good IMHO
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 01:49 AM   #7
Latrodectus

Watch: GMT-Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post

I have two machines and they are great, convenient and the coffee is very good IMHO
I second that...and you can use heavy cream or all the other ingredients that makes coffee better!

Member # 16057
4-Hands Club
Tosser Club Member
TRF Skypers Group
Latrodectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 01:59 AM   #8
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
I just bought a Jura D6, works perfect for me and great coffee.
Simple, fast, low noise, cleaning a brew unit is not needed, should have bought it earlier.

My previous Siemens EQ6 died without reason. That one I bought for the nice display, in hindsight not very smart.
Old 10 November 2020, 02:41 AM   #9
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Do some research. Seattle Coffee Gear has good reviews and is a good site to buy products. I had a JURA and once it died I replaced with a Saeco. Saeco was much less cost wise and performs as well. I do not do fancy drinks, just espresso so the JURA was overkill for me but at the time was highly rated.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 02:48 AM   #10
FLGatorM5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Best Espresso Machine??

First, decide if you want to have something that does everything for you, or you want to have some involvement with a semi-automatic machine.

If it’s the latter, then I think you have more research ahead of you. But just know your budget will need to be for the machine AND grinder... and you will probably need to be >$200 on the grinder IMO.

I love my budget set up but would NOT recommend it for you (based on you wanting to do alot of milk work). I would also say that my grinder is the bare minimum... and if it wasn’t a gift, I would have gone into the $350 ish range for a Rancillio, etc.

$200 Saeco Poemia modded with a naked portafilter
$200 Breville Dose Control

Just my 2 drops from a newb espresso guy.
FLGatorM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 02:53 AM   #11
It's Hedley
"TRF" Member

I have and love the Breville Barista Express. It runs about $600, but is worth every penny. I have had mine for 5+ years and it continues to make perfect espresso. It has the grinder and steamer wand all in one unit. Really one of my better home appliance purchases in my lifetime.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!
It's Hedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 03:03 AM   #12
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Jura. Second place is a distant second place. of course not everyone wants the best but you did ask.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 03:21 AM   #13
-dustin

Gaggia Classic. It's the benchmark for entry level espresso machines and has an incredible amount of support. You will be limited, however, if you make drinks for multiple people. If you're handy, buy a used one. I paid $150 for mine because the boiler was cracked. Replaced it myself for $50. Good as new. If you're really wanting milk drinks, consider a Rancilio Silvia. The older Silvia steam wand can be installed onto a Gaggia Classic for a really solid compromise.

You'll want to get a decent grinder, as well. And at that price point, a grinder + new machine will go over your budget a little bit. Baratza Various go for $450 - $500, I believe.

My equipment purchases went like this:

used Gaggia classic
ok grinder

nicer grinder (Baratza Vario, huge improvement)

really fancy machine (Clive Lucca M58)

fancy grinder (Eureka Atom)

For beans - www.drinktrade.com
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 10:53 AM   #14
7sins
"TRF" Member

THANK YOU everyone for the wonderful responses, time and help. Do you guys think it is worth the extra time/effort/money to get the machine/grinder opposed to a high end Nespresso? One that has an extra stem to froth the milk. I guess the downside is not having a wide array of different beans to use but only the cups they provide, not sure how much variety is there.

Something like this made by Breville for Nespresso? I would say I am more a man of efficiency and a path of least resistance opposed to taking 20-30 minutes to make the espresso, which is time I don't have.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 11:19 AM   #15
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Nespresso and Milk Frother here. And a Moka Pot for those times when I need a major, old school caffeine hit.
Old 10 November 2020, 11:42 AM   #16
-dustin

Different strokes for different folks. I’d never choose a Nespresso over a grinder + machine...in the same sense that I wouldn’t choose a high-end G-Shock over a Hamilton. Other folks might be the other way around.

Regarding efficiency - I ended up getting a Wemo outlet and have my machine to turn on 30mins before I get up. Starting the clock as soon as I grab my beans, I’ll measure, grind, weigh, tamp, pull, and clean in 4mins.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 12:46 PM   #17
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I am a coffee guy; I drink and enjoy espresso but not as often so I didn’t want a machine solely focused on espresso. For espresso and lattes: I agree that nespresso is quite the bang for the buck. Quick, easy, and pretty reliable. We tried a Jura and to be honest I didn’t find it to be much better than nespresso, and it took up more counter space at nearly 10x the price so we ended up sending it back.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 12:48 PM   #18
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Hedley View Post
I have and love the Breville Barista Express. It runs about $600, but is worth every penny. I have had mine for 5+ years and it continues to make perfect espresso. It has the grinder and steamer wand all in one unit. Really one of my better home appliance purchases in my lifetime.

X2. Quite literally some of the best money I have ever spent. Two of my best pals have Jura fully automatic setups that ran about $2K to $2.5k and they are really nice. Push button easy. That said they were impressed with the final product coming from the Breville.

If you’re ok with spending much less but grinding your own beans and manually tamping then the Barista Express imo is the sweet spot. The built in conical burr grinder is adjustable as I’ve found different beans require different coarseness settings.

Pulling very satisfying shots with lovely crema and have been able to replicate my wife’s favorite- hemp milk cappuccino.

It does double duty for quick hot water for tea, mixing up nectar for the hummingbird feeders, saline making - all kinds of stuff.

The one downside is if you have to make a bunch of drinks it is time consuming.

Totally love it.
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 02:22 PM   #19
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Take a look at the Miele CM5300. It’s about 1500 but it does all the work, makes great drinks and is the easiest super automatic to clean and maintain.

You’ll love it. We have had ours for 2 years and it’s been flawless. Trust me it’s worth the extra coin if you aren’t going to get into the whole barista scene.

Check out Seattle coffee gear they sell it and have nice reviews.

I like stumptown hairbender for beans. They will ship direct to you as often as you need. We get orders every other week.

(If you get a super auto avoid oily or flavored beans as they will ruin it)
Old 10 November 2020, 04:44 PM   #20
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Regarding Nespresso vs coffee freshly ground and extracted through a semi-automatic machine, it’s no contest for me—I cannot stand Nespresso/pods. Nice coffee is one of the best things I love and value, so why compromise. But it is subjective, and to each their own.

For your budget and starter level, the Breville Barista Express would be a decent choice.

Please note that it doesn’t take 30 minutes to make coffee on a semi-automatic machine. Between weighing and grinding the beans, then pulling the shot and steaming the milk while the shot pours, it takes not much over a minute, once you get used to it and have your workflow down pat. And it takes only a few minutes for the machine to heat up first thing in the morning. Nice and easy, really.
White Collar Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 05:37 PM   #21
mic6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116718 green
Gaggia classic
Ascaso i2
Fresh beans of your choice
All set

We are in a Rolex forum and people recommend Nespresso?
Old 10 November 2020, 06:41 PM   #22
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post

Have to agree not worth spending a fortune on anything more.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 08:16 PM   #23
mic6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116718 green
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree not worth spending a fortune on anything more.
It's like saying, not worth spending a fortune on anything more than a citizen, maybe worse than that
Old 10 November 2020, 10:45 PM   #24
Tully314
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Hedley View Post

For your $750 budget, I second the Barista Express. It’s the best value for the money and a reliable workhorse with a built in burr grinder. I would suggest opting for the stainless version since the paint does chip around the base after a few years of regular use. If you have a separate budget for a grinder, then I would consider increasing your budget to $1000 and giving the ECM Casa V a really close look.
Tully314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2020, 01:29 AM   #25
albertf
"TRF" Member

Everything depends on your own personal preference.

Nespresso and super automatics are the most convenient. Super Automatics at a higher price point. I'd try out some nespresso pods to see if you enjoy the taste/flavor since it sounds like it would fit your budget/time requirements.

A Breville type matchine will have a slight learning curve since there's quite a few variables that go into making a decent espresso. Personally, I think going through the learning process is worth it. It takes me about 5-7 minutes to make a drink for me and the gf in the morning (with clean-up). It's part of my morning routine now and I enjoy the process.

You need to gauge whether or not you'd stick with a morning routine like that or it just becomes another unnecessary appliance that takes up space in your kitchen.
albertf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2020, 01:36 AM   #26
VincentM
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116518-LV-CHNR-DJ-
For most people, spending a fortune on a Rolex is pure nonsense. But here on TRF, we can understand why someone would spend that much money on a simple watch. It goes way further than the primary intention of a watch to tell time.

I have to tell you that in the world of coffee, you can make wonderful discoveries and « travel » around the world.

But sorry to tell you that, you will have to spend more than you thought. Does it worth it? Without hesitation I answer yes. For less than what a DJ cost, you will enter a whole new world of discoveries. A pure pleasure for a lifetime.

And to answer your question, the best espresso machine is no contest Decent Espresso.

https://decentespresso.com

And you will need an excellent grinder. Get the best, KafaTek Monolith.

https://www.kafatek.com

And just forget Nespresso...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
VincentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2020, 02:00 AM   #27
George Burdell

We've got a Breville Barista Express and love it. Makes exceptional joe.

https://www.breville.com/us/en/produ...so/bes870.html
George Burdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2020, 02:32 AM   #28
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
I’m on my 2nd Americano this morning. ;) Forgot that time was a factor for the OP. Just for fun I timed the process. 90% of the time we drink Americanos or espresso. It gets slow when frothing so keep that in mind.

Breville Barista Express - turned it on, ground the beans. Tamped, waited for the unit to get to pressure and 202* , pulled the shot and added a little water. 1 minute 46 seconds.

Add a little time to clean or fix another drink and it’s still pretty quick. The wild card is the frothing. That also adds another layer of cleaning.

I rarely say “never” but I would never go back to Nespresso.
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2020, 03:42 AM   #29
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentM View Post
For most people, spending a fortune on a Rolex is pure nonsense. But here on TRF, we can understand why someone would spend that much money on a simple watch. It goes way further than the primary intention of a watch to tell time.

I have to tell you that in the world of coffee, you can make wonderful discoveries and « travel » around the world.

But sorry to tell you that, you will have to spend more than you thought. Does it worth it? Without hesitation I answer yes. For less than what a DJ cost, you will enter a whole new world of discoveries. A pure pleasure for a lifetime.

And to answer your question, the best espresso machine is no contest Decent Espresso.

https://decentespresso.com

And you will need an excellent grinder. Get the best, KafaTek Monolith.

https://www.kafatek.com

And just forget Nespresso...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
That is an awesome machine.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2020, 10:51 AM   #30
Kyle3130
"TRF" Member

Watch: FXD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
THANK YOU everyone for the wonderful responses, time and help. Do you guys think it is worth the extra time/effort/money to get the machine/grinder opposed to a high end Nespresso? One that has an extra stem to froth the milk. I guess the downside is not having a wide array of different beans to use but only the cups they provide, not sure how much variety is there.

Something like this made by Breville for Nespresso? I would say I am more a man of efficiency and a path of least resistance opposed to taking 20-30 minutes to make the espresso, which is time I don't have.
YES! I own this machine and LOVE it!
I use Starbucks blonde Nespresso pods and I can make the same latte for $0.80 instead of $5.