The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 8 October 2013, 10:15 AM   #121
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by wctm68 View Post
First, which Patek's costing 10x as much contain this movement, be specific.
Not 10x, but the:

5496P Perpetual Calendar Retrograde Date (Platinum / Silver / Leather Strap) $115700.00

is a healthy 5.7x multiple and contains the same base movement according to Patek's site.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2013, 10:50 AM   #122
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

The 5167 is a great watch...period. Just because is less expensive than other PP does not make them less desirable. I believe the BMW 3 series models are some of the best handling cars that BMW makes, as is the Boxter/Cayman to Porsche. For many, the simplicity of the design is more desirable than some less attractive but more expensive models.

Personally, my Aquanaut is getting 90% wrist time and my 4 Rolex (Daytona, Sub-C, GMT II BLNR, YM Blue, and Panerai 392 are now mostly sitting in the watch box. For me, like many of you, it's a game changer, and gateway drug into the PP world.
mcorliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2013, 12:15 PM   #123
waspy1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbaka View Post
Hi all I'm new to this forum. Decided to buy a PP for my 38 birthday and have been doing some research. Now deciding between the aquanaut and the nautilus. Of course the aquanaut is a more comfortable budget but yet I'm hoping to get one that has a better resale value in case times are hard ( one can never be too sure nowadays). So wondering if there's any advise on which will be a better investment choice. Also, I've snooped around and realize there's a range of PP watches called the Black Venom. Are those a good choice for cos I really love the look of black on the watch. I'm tempted to get a piece of that which I understand is in limited edition. But I'm worried that it may not have good value in the long run. Any advise is appreciated. Www.blackvenomwatch.com
As an investment or where you are at all bothered by resale value these mods are a very bad idea. I have no idea how pp would look on a modded watch when it comes to service. Probably not very well. Complete no-no as far as I'm concerned. For a Rolex perhaps not as bad as you'll prob find someone to service it but for a Patek I wouldn't count on it. Besides, it looks naff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2013, 12:08 PM   #124
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Love that watch!
dardeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2013, 01:45 PM   #125
damoos91
Banned

Watch: 1962 Speedmaster
thx for sharing. one of my all time favorites!
damoos91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2013, 07:43 PM   #126
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
I have to agree, I have several different great watches and two PP, and my favorite is my 5164 Aquanaut. Love the look and feel of this model. I also love the nicely done new complication.

This would be my choice, but Id probably get the Naut first.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2013, 10:17 PM   #127
Orbaka
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waspy1 View Post
As an investment or where you are at all bothered by resale value these mods are a very bad idea. I have no idea how pp would look on a modded watch when it comes to service. Probably not very well. Complete no-no as far as I'm concerned. For a Rolex perhaps not as bad as you'll prob find someone to service it but for a Patek I wouldn't count on it. Besides, it looks naff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
thanks for your reply... so the so called "black Venom" is a mod... for a while, i thought it's a limited edition range that is endorsed by PP itself....ok, i shall go on my hunt for the perfect Aquanaut before my BD which is barely weeks away. 5167 is what i'm eyeing on right now... and i have to admit that it grows on you especially after reading though the threads knowing how you guys love that watch.
Orbaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2013, 02:31 AM   #128
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
thanks for your reply... so the so called "black Venom" is a mod... for a while, i thought it's a limited edition range that is endorsed by PP itself....ok, i shall go on my hunt for the perfect Aquanaut before my BD which is barely weeks away. 5167 is what i'm eyeing on right now... and i have to admit that it grows on you especially after reading though the threads knowing how you guys love that watch.
That would have been terrrible if you went ahead without realizing it wasnt a piece from the manufacturer.
Old 11 October 2013, 03:23 AM   #129
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

Love mine but if only...

It were more reliable. It's now on its 3rd trip back to the factory in 4 years to fix what seems to be the same problem, namely a slipping clutch on the winding mechanism.

I'm getting ticked - none of my other watches have had this frequency of problems. Let's hope the factory can fix it once and for all.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2013, 03:32 AM   #130
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona
I hear about these problems, but mine has run perfectly. No issues at all and keeps perfect-to-the-second time!
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2013, 10:28 PM   #131
wctm68

After now owning one of these pieces I cannot understand why I paid as much as I did for it. 20K for a watch is just crazy. It's bad enough that a decent Rolex is $7-8K but I can somewhat justify that since it is well made and can take all kinds of abuse. I am selling my Patek today and donating the $$ to charity.
wctm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2013, 11:16 PM   #132
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
After now owning one of these pieces I cannot understand why I paid as much as I did for it. 20K for a watch is just crazy. It's bad enough that a decent Rolex is $7-8K but I can somewhat justify that since it is well made and can take all kinds of abuse. I am selling my Patek today and donating the $$ to charity.
It would be great to see a wrist shot of yours

Quote:
....When I say "low end" IMO, $21K is easily attainable for a watch.

Finally, the date sticking issue is a real problem with these watches. Who spends 21K for that ? Seriously... These watches are not respected come auction time.

Seems to be some contradiction

Anyway, i think it is a beautiful watch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (80.8 KB, 1325 views)
Old 26 October 2013, 11:29 PM   #133
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Not a fan of the Aquanaut but nice review.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2013, 01:06 PM   #134
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Orbaka, the 5167 is a beautiful watch. I would say seriously consider it for your BD, but try it out at your local AD first.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2013, 03:05 PM   #135
subtona
"TRF" Member

Dial
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (122.3 KB, 1234 views)
Old 14 November 2013, 11:31 PM   #136
catchsteelhead
"TRF" Member

scratches

Hi all. I wear my Aquanaut daily and and as a result the dial and clasp are quite scratched. I'm wondering if anyone has found a sevice method for removing / buffing out some of these surface scratches. Does a standard trip to an authorized service center help? Thanks in advance.
catchsteelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2013, 11:18 PM   #137
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchsteelhead View Post
Hi all. I wear my Aquanaut daily and and as a result the dial and clasp are quite scratched. I'm wondering if anyone has found a sevice method for removing / buffing out some of these surface scratches. Does a standard trip to an authorized service center help? Thanks in advance.
Post a pic of the scratches

when it's service time patek will polish it to factory specs
Old 30 January 2014, 07:51 PM   #138
Orbaka
"TRF" Member

It's coming!

It's been three months since my first and last post. And I'm glad to report that mt aquanaut is finally arriving! In less than 24 hours. After few months of checking around, from Singapore to Hong Kong, New York to Frankfurt. I finally managed to lay my hands on a piece from Frankfurt. By tomorrow, this will be on my wrist! My biggest purchase to date and boy! I'm excited beyond words!
Orbaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2014, 09:04 PM   #139
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
i love the aquanaut , so clean and simple , now the older versions are getting more into my price range im seriously tempted , but even an older version in stainless on a rubber strap with a solid case back is the price of a gold president ,,
i think if i was to spend the money id have to save a bit more to get to the saphire case back ,,, thats what makes it even more special , i dont know how you guys manage to do much of anything else other than look at the movement ,,, stunning pics on this thread , thanks guys.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2014, 11:40 PM   #140
iazrollie
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
It's been three months since my first and last post. And I'm glad to report that mt aquanaut is finally arriving! In less than 24 hours. After few months of checking around, from Singapore to Hong Kong, New York to Frankfurt. I finally managed to lay my hands on a piece from Frankfurt. By tomorrow, this will be on my wrist! My biggest purchase to date and boy! I'm excited beyond words!
Congrats!!
Old 4 February 2014, 02:41 PM   #141
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Congrats on the acquisition of this fine watch! Frankfurt ADs typically have low inventory of PP watches due to heavy tourist purchases, but you must have gotten lucky. Enjoy and post some pics!
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2014, 09:18 PM   #142
steveclocks
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex/JLC/panerai
Puffy, nice review and handsome photographs as usual man! Thanks so much for sharing. You're a top guy
steveclocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2014, 09:00 AM   #143
MATCH1969
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage
Aquanaut is on my wishing list
MATCH1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2014, 02:10 PM   #144
JD521
"TRF" Member

Great review. Looking closely at both Aquanaut models and like them both honestly. Love the complication of the travel time but also love the simple, clean look of the 5167.

I'm trying not to have the difference in price push me but it's something that also has to be taken into consideration as always! But honestly, after seeing the 5176 today and trying it on for the first time, your comments on the dial are so true...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 4-9.jpg (77.0 KB, 992 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3-17.jpg (62.1 KB, 985 views)
File Type: jpg photo 1-20.jpg (108.0 KB, 990 views)
JD521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2014, 02:44 PM   #145
synnsid
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the review, you inspired me to get it when i was in doubt!

served on a platter by synnsid, on Flickr
synnsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2015, 01:17 AM   #146
vtsnowplow
"TRF" Member

I hate to bring up an old post, but I just got one of these, and I really don't know why I have been screwing around with anything else. This is simply the best watch I have ever owned for practical daily wear.
vtsnowplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2015, 01:30 AM   #147
ansharma
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Moonphase
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsnowplow View Post
I hate to bring up an old post, but I just got one of these, and I really don't know why I have been screwing around with anything else. This is simply the best watch I have ever owned for practical daily wear.
Congrats

I'm picking up mine in May and hoping it has the same effect

Might have to sell some other pieces if it does.

Anuj
ansharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2015, 02:09 AM   #148
eric319
"TRF" Member

I love this watch. I haven't had one in hand yet. How is the detail of the dail? Any flaws, etc?
eric319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2015, 11:42 AM   #149
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
This one really shows off the subtle color of the Dial... What would you call it?

Oh! and thanks for the great review. I've only just started liking Patek, and the Rubber straps make it a go anywhere, do anything watch, which appeals to me...

Lastly, is the movement a robust one?

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2015, 11:56 AM   #150
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryyee View Post
Very nice indeed!!! I'd like to pull the trigger on a PP too, but at the moment, I yet unable to convince my brain to spend $20-$30k on a SS watch when I can get a gold Rollie for a similar price. Heart says PP but brain says go for gold lol ...
I was thinking the same thing but if it feels better on the wrist, I'd rather have 3 very nice watches than 6 just nice watches...lol

How about this one?
Attached Images
File Type: png 5167R_001.png (150.9 KB, 531 views)

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote