The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 29 April 2015, 03:52 AM   #61
rahulma
"TRF" Member

Hello All: New member here but have visited the forum many times. Excellent. I am on the verge of trading my 5070g, with cash to boot, for a 5970R. I am also considering the original dial 5270g, as the prices have now fallen to level well below the 5970. I was hoping for some advice it general. I know these are very personal decisions but for me anyway, this is a significant amount of money. Thanks!
rahulma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2015, 12:14 AM   #62
BlueHeron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexJNJ View Post
The 5970 is legendary! I went with the 5270 because I have a weakness for blue and I really liked how the watch wore at 41mm. And who knows, maybe the Leno dial will appreciate in value!!
Amazing blue dial, I've yet to go blue, but will at some point.

Then there's the "chin", a fascinating element that I just read about.
BlueHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2015, 12:25 AM   #63
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
My favorites of both are the 5970P and the new dial 5270 in blue, about the 5270 movement being much better technically is here a real difference or minor one?

In any case I am sure the 5970 movement is a great one also and way above other movements so even if the 5270 is superior I don't think the difference is big.

To be honest if I wanted a chrono PC there is a big chance I would take the Datograph perpetual, either in PT or more probably in WG, the grey dial is great, if a normal chrono then definitely a Datograph, it's on my radar as the future piece, and to be honest I prefer the old dial in 39mm than the new up/down, of course I need to see how it wears, but in dial preference only I much prefer the 39mm
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2015, 04:33 AM   #64
lapince
"TRF" Member

About the 5270 blue dial, the sales guy at the Patek salon told me that since it was out jun blue they had seen 3, and it's the Patek salon in Paris, so either it's BS, either it's true and would mean that the blue dial wasn't overproduced...
Old 6 May 2015, 08:44 AM   #65
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
For me it is really simple: 5970P all the way followed by the 5970G and R. The 5270 is nice but to me the 5970 is the one to own without a doubt! Just my opinion and in terms of collectiblity for sure. All are nice at that level and you can't go wrong with any of them. Cheers,
Ken, is the 5270 movement so much better technically than the 5970 as I read here often?
Old 18 August 2016, 05:58 AM   #66
roma1280
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970g
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Ken, is the 5270 movement so much better technically than the 5970 as I read here often?
interesting question. 2nd attempt at resurrecting an old thread.
I just bought a 5970g which I love and I love the 5270 too.

Curious in what way the 5270 is technically superior?

As far as design is concerned, I like the treatment of the leap year and day night indicator in both, the indicators are fun in the 5270 but I like the sub dials of the 5970 and although busy, makes the watch look more complicated (in a good way).

If I had to be really picky on a comparison, my only comment is that I find the dial of the 5970 a bit more balanced than the 5270, the sub dials all seem squashed in the lower half of the dial on the 5270 and this is particularly notivable when the hands are in the lower half of the dial. Notice that in pictures the hands of the 5270 are at ten past ten which balances the dial.

Both gorgeous watches though, love the 5970p and also love the rose gold and white gold with blue dial 5270
roma1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2016, 06:06 PM   #67
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roma1280 View Post
interesting question. 2nd attempt at resurrecting an old thread.
I just bought a 5970g which I love and I love the 5270 too.

Curious in what way the 5270 is technically superior?

As far as design is concerned, I like the treatment of the leap year and day night indicator in both, the indicators are fun in the 5270 but I like the sub dials of the 5970 and althoug h busy, makes the watch look more complicated (in a good way).

If I had to be really picky on a comparison, my only comment is that I find the dial of the 5970 a bit more balanced than the 5270, the sub dials all seem squashed in the lower half of the dial on the 5270 and this is particularly notivable when the hands are in the lower half of the dial. Notice that in pictures the hands of the 5270 are at ten past ten which balances the dial.

Both gorgeous watches though, love the 5970p and also love the rose gold and white gold with blue dial 5270
Well, your avatar might be the perfect example

Is a modern car better than a vintage one? Ofcourse it is
More power, more comfort, faster on any circuit, newer and better materials used, gps, airco, ...

But what do most collectors prefer ? Doesn't have an old timer much more passion than something new
Why are these Ferrari vintage cars very collectible and are moderns cars just made to use?

Same with watches
The old massive modified lemania in the 5070-5970-5004 is probably less sophisticated than a modern movement
But a vintage movement is imo more interesting and more about passion
The older movement is also better finished
May be the new one has more patents and may be it is more accurate..... But I'll take the older one
Old 19 August 2016, 02:55 AM   #68
Socal to az
Banned

I like the 5270 simply for the larger size. When you are 6'4", the smaller Pateks don't do much for you. I prefer the larger more modern size. But the 5970 is gorgeous
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2016, 07:16 AM   #69
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal to az View Post
I like the 5270 simply for the larger size. When you are 6'4", the smaller Pateks don't do much for you. I prefer the larger more modern size. But the 5970 is gorgeous
"Smaller pateks" ?
The 5970 is 40mm so anything bit small
Old 19 August 2016, 07:20 AM   #70
Socal to az
Banned

"Small" is a relative term. At my size, 40mm is still small. I prefer 42mm watches. Im not saying to go crazy and go 46,48 or larger or some nonsense like that but 40mm is too small for me.

I completely understand that to some, 40mm is massive. Not my cup of tea.
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2016, 02:06 AM   #71
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
40 mm is by no means small; for PAM and ROO it would be small for sure, it depends on the context. I sold a 39mm patek watch because i thought it was small and now I have it back and absolutely love the size. I think is called appreciation and unfortunately you can't advise on that, it has to be experienced to understand it.

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2016, 03:35 AM   #72
lapince
"TRF" Member

Some people love very big watches, for me anything between 39 and 42 is fine, I considered the AP RG 44mm, I could pull it off with 6.9 wrists, but it just looks a little too big for my tastes, my ce diver at 42 is fine though, I did have a few Pam at one point, all 44, but the love went. So different sizes for different tastes and that is great, especially that at 39-42 you have a huge selection, it's harder for those who like 36-37mm, less possibilities