The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 11 August 2014, 12:12 AM   #31
iazrollie
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
Great update Ben, but I agree with you on the watch; just can't get Breitling out of my head when I see that bracelet.

5204P black face next please!

This is such a bummer for me. I want an AC (or AC chrono) so badly, but I don't want a dress watch. This could have satisfied this niche. But, the bracelet
Old 11 August 2014, 01:35 AM   #32
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Great report and photos!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2014, 01:48 AM   #33
lipjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC, Nautilus
Quote:
Originally Posted by iazrollie View Post
This is such a bummer for me. I want an AC (or AC chrono) so badly, but I don't want a dress watch. This could have satisfied this niche. But, the bracelet

Get the nautilus 5726:)

"It is not our abilities that show what we truly are. It is our choices" -Dumbledore

Instagram: horolj_
lipjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2014, 01:53 AM   #34
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Great thread ! Keep them coming

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2014, 02:53 AM   #35
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Love this thread. I agree with many that the bracelet makes this piece a no-go for me, BUT love the dial
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2014, 03:13 AM   #36
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
I absolutely love the bracelet and might end up getting it even though I have the 5960P with black dial. I can't wait to see but again in speaking with Patek it will be a hard one to see as demand will be high! My AD said they will likely only get one next year and they are big AD. Perhaps I will be lucky one who ends up with it! The more I see it the more I like it and after seeing and feeling the RG version of the bracelet I am all the more in!! Cheers all and again Ben keep pics coming!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2014, 06:30 AM   #37
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Could not agree more. I like the dial and sportier look, but not a fan of the bracelet at all.
Is the bracelet removable? Couldn't tell based on pics I've seen so far.

Imagine this one on a rubber strap!
soundserious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2014, 08:58 PM   #38
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Great update Ben, but I agree with you on the watch; just can't get Breitling out of my head when I see that bracelet.

5204P black face next please!
Patience is a virtue. We are still one week away from the 5204P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
I absolutely love the bracelet and might end up getting it even though I have the 5960P with black dial. I can't wait to see but again in speaking with Patek it will be a hard one to see as demand will be high! My AD said they will likely only get one next year and they are big AD. Perhaps I will be lucky one who ends up with it! The more I see it the more I like it and after seeing and feeling the RG version of the bracelet I am all the more in!! Cheers all and again Ben keep pics coming!
I think the bracelet is quite nice, rather jewelry like and might be a tad feminine but it's very comfortable when worn.
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2014, 09:12 PM   #39
benlee
"TRF" Member

Let's continue shall we?

Novelty 2014 – Patek Nautilus 5990 Travel Time

The Nautilus 5990 GMT or Travel Time is another of Patek’s Baselworld 2014 release. It features two complication, a GMT two time zone and also a chronograph. In order to incorporate both complications, Patek created a new movement, ie Caliber CH28-520 which incorporates the chronograph movement of the 5980 with the travel time movement of the 5164. And amazingly, Patek achieve this without needing to increase the case size over the 5980. The date function, instead of the date window is now a shown in the dial indicator.

I got the Salon to show me a piece because although it has been launched, and make the rounds in BaselWorld, it has been absolutely impossible to find this piece in any AD anywhere. This is my first encounter with the Nautilus 5990. The case and bracelet are identical to the 5980R with one important twist. The left ear of the Nautilus case cleverly incorporates two pushers that controls the hour hand of the second time zone.

The design is by now familiar to everyone that owns a Nautilus and the finishing of the case and bracelet, which was hand-finished, is about as perfect as humanly possible. The dial is grey and the watch face is rather monochromatic, with the choice of white markers and grey hands. It is certainly not as “shouty” as it’s more flamboyant rose gold cousins. Yet, it manages to be aesthetically pleasing and in most occasions, the watch just exhumes both subtlety and classiness and can be worn dress up or dress down.

My own opinion, this is a watch that has two useful complications in one and is well worth the added price for those that find these complications useful. However, the only point of contention for me is that for nearly the same amount of money, one can go for the 5980R gold if one can live without the GMT function. Another slight nitpick is that the date dial indicator can be hard to read at a glance. I would have much prefer a date window instead. Here's a wrist shot :

Like the 5960-1/A, there is also a growing waiting list for this watch and it’s high price is no discouragement for a slew of suitors eager to get their hands on the first Patek GMT/Chrongraph Nautilus. One point of note, the 40th anniversary of the Nautilus is fast approaching ( 2016 ) and I am quite sure Patek has a very special release to celebrate this key milestone.

What about a possible new Nautilus this coming October for the 175th anniversary? All I can say is that there is a collection being planned for unveiling but nobody knows exactly what is being planned, not even the Geneva Salon. Patek is keeping things tightly wrapped up and it seems the only person that knows is Mr Sterns himself. So the only thing to do is to wait. Hey, October is not far away!

To be continued !
Old 11 August 2014, 09:37 PM   #40
HL65

Very nice and thanks for sharing Ben!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 11 August 2014, 10:57 PM   #41
texex91
"TRF" Member

Hurry up October!

Would love to see some new pieces for the 175th.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2014, 11:58 PM   #42
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Keep them coming Ben. I am hoping you will also show the 5235G. I am curious to get your opinion as I haven't seen one in the flesh and am waiting for mine to arrive.
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2014, 12:03 AM   #43
HauteHorlogerie
Banned

Watch: 519LN | 64A
awesome stuff! subscribed.
HauteHorlogerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2014, 12:39 AM   #44
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Not a fan of those pushers on the right side.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2014, 03:26 AM   #45
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Great

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2014, 03:32 AM   #46
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I'm loving the 5960...the bracelet means I'd get so much more wearing time out of it. I"m def getting one.
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2014, 04:08 AM   #47
yjfang
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680
I don't care for the pushers on the left. Cool watch but not for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Not a fan of those pushers on the right side.
yjfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2014, 04:12 AM   #48
ck1109
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many...
Subscribed! great thread!
ck1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2014, 04:14 AM   #49
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Wonderful write-ups. Thanks for sharing!
nyc2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2014, 02:22 PM   #50
Kittayos
"TRF" Member

It will take some time till I like 5990. Was wowed when it launched but not anymore. Just didn't have that kind of classic look to me.
Kittayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2014, 05:51 PM   #51
N_Architect
"TRF" Member

Watch: x2 H. Moser & Cie.
Great write-up, Ben.
Old 12 August 2014, 10:51 PM   #52
benlee
"TRF" Member

Thanks once again for all the enthusiastic feedback and comments!

Patek Nautilus 5980R chronograph

Ahh… this is without question my favorite Nautilus. The 5980R is a chronograph Nautilus in rose gold with a strap. This watch really has to be seen in person to appreciate as pictures hardly ever do it justice. Housed in a case slightly larger than it’s slim line cousins ( 40.5mm vs 40 mm ), this watch is thicker, looks sportier and has such phenomenal wrist presence that it inevitably draws any passer-by to the wearer’s wrist.

The watch features a CH28-520 chronograph movement that is very well decorated. While the 5980R has been released for quite a while, finding this watch on display at AD is still not that easy as demand is high ( and so are most Patek watches ). The chocolate toned dial matches the Rose Gold case and will changes it's shade depending on surrounding light. One curious observation is that the quick-set date change is triggered by a a push piece at 8 o’clock and not adjust via the crown. Apparently, Patek’s philosophy is that as much as possible, the crown is used for winding the watch and not others to extend and preserve it's “integrity”. The watch comes with the Nautilus gold deployment buckle and wears comfortably which I much prefer over any Nautilus bracelet / clasp due. The weight of the watch is reassuring without being over-powering.

By the way, this is the next Patek watch I am going to get. Just a matter of time.

Patek Aquanault 5167R in a Stunning Rose Gold Case

After Nautilus was launched in 1976, Patek envision an even more sportier watch that is flexible and can be worn casually. Marketing wise, Patek also needed an entry level watch at a right price that could enticed first time luxury watch buyers in hope that in future, they remained faithful to the brand. The result was the Aquanaut. With a rubber strap and a water resistance of 120m, this watch is well adapted to the outdoors.

Thanks to the enthusiastic “enabling and promotion” of one of our dear Moderators here ( you know who you are! ), I specifically requested for this watch and my first impression was … WOW. The stainless steel Aquanaut is certainly nice but trust me, this one is on a whole new level. The rose gold case and the dial truly truly “POPS” like no other Patek watches. Maybe with the exception of the 5980R, this is probably one of the most “look at me” piece that Patek ever produced. The Rose gold case in particular was so well finished, it just radiates and captures the eye with that deep rich golden hue. The shine and the sparkle of the case and dial is like no other. The watch of course wears comfortably. I am in fact surprise how well the rubber strap fits.

Now, while the Aquanaut family is, relatively speaking, more “affordably priced” compared to the other higher end offerings in the Patek range, there is nothing “entry level” about the watch. Naysayers and Patek snobs might thumb their noses at the humble Aquanaut ( and apologetically, I used to be one of them ), it is still finely hand finished like other Pateks and the heart of the watch features the very trusty Patek 324SC movement.

Here are some more wrist shots.

The watch is basic 3 hands complication with date and makes a great casual “impact watch”. For those that need a sporty gold Patek that can be worn casually, there is simply no better choice!

Thanks for reading and following so far! Now next up, the Grand Complications! Finally! I have several surprises installed for you so wait for the next update!

TO BE CONTINUED!
Old 12 August 2014, 11:00 PM   #53
lipjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC, Nautilus
Amen to moderator enabler número uno;)

Surprised there are still 5980R at the saloon - awaiting the incoming Ben!

"It is not our abilities that show what we truly are. It is our choices" -Dumbledore

Instagram: horolj_
lipjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2014, 11:24 PM   #54
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Patek is beautiful in RG
The 5980 has the weight/thickness of a Sport Watch in the same manner that the 5164 has it for the Aquanaut line. I have no use for those complications, but the feel/empowering/weight might justify by itself.
Cheers !!

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2014, 11:57 PM   #55
HL65

Ben bravo on those two amazing references and yes two of my personal favorites! I aim to enable of course but the 5080R is truly my favorite Patek and Nautilus and the 5167R is my favorite weekend watch! Both warm RG cases with brushed bezel and delicious brown dials with more depth and character than any other watches I have ever owned! Well done and thanks for sharing my friend...Cheers,

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 12 August 2014, 11:57 PM   #56
texex91
"TRF" Member

Keep them coming--great write up on 5980 and 5167! What's not to like either of those stunners

Look forward to next installment.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2014, 11:59 PM   #57
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
By the way, this is the next Patek watch I am going to get. Just a matter of time.
I thought you were buying my 5970R next??
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2014, 12:46 AM   #58
orangedial
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP, Rolex
Love this thread, Ben! Do you get paid by Patek??
orangedial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2014, 01:21 AM   #59
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Ben bravo on those two amazing references and yes two of my personal favorites! I aim to enable of course but the 5080R is truly my favorite Patek and Nautilus and the 5167R is my favorite weekend watch! Both warm RG cases with brushed bezel and delicious brown dials with more depth and character than any other watches I have ever owned! Well done and thanks for sharing my friend...Cheers,
Agree with everything you said. These two are special watches.

Quote:
I thought you were buying my 5970R next??
Indeed it's my grail but my bank a/c says No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedial View Post
Love this thread, Ben! Do you get paid by Patek??
I wish. Hey, maybe I should ask them for promotion fees.
Old 13 August 2014, 01:50 AM   #60
DECR
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP,AL&S,AP,Rolex
Wow....What a thread. Loving it! Thanks Ben!
DECR is offline   Reply With Quote